Magic: The Gathering

Block constructed (ravnica, time spiral, kamigawa, shards of alara all good options), build-your-own standard (using standard banned lists so legacy uw stoneblade is not an option), or legacy would all be good for me. Standard is pretty stale atm imo.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Because Shards/Rav block constructed seems to be the only options right now, how about a Shards/Rav "Standard" Constructed?

That is the only sets for use are RAV, GP, DIS, ALA, CON, and ARB.

Multicolor interactions abound.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
^Now that's an idea, although it could totally use a core set or two... somehow.

Shouldn't be too bad, I'm thinking - without fetches Nacatl loses a lot of its Legacy power. And because Zoo doesn't have strange things like fetches (and hence KotR) or Goyf or Scavenging Ooze, it does lose a lot of its speed as well - perhaps enough for the lifeloss from Shocks to get to it. Admittedly though the speed of the format might get a little dangerous, but probably nothing to go chicken little about?

The deck only loses consistency, not raw power, due to the lack of fetches. Without them you will have to play a weird number of all the rav duals and shards lands so that you can get your mana to work right or else you are just going to end up with those hands where you have Hallowed Fountain/Blood Crypt/2 Wild Nacatls/KotR/etc. I do think that a lot of people will default to Zoo unfortunately, because the deck is so easy to build: 4 Nacatl, 4 KotR, 4 Dark Confidant, etc. etc.

The solution would be choosing a Core Set that gives most colors good tools to fight Zoo such as cheap Wrath effects or, heck, even Stone Rain. Alternatively, a Core Set with good Control and Combo options (7th comes to mind, gogogo Counterspell!).

hellpowna

beware of coco
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I remember many gold cards, and I had a deck red and white made up of by Silvers. as a rare cards I had Phage , all objects of Kaldra, Acroma and practically all the rare cards of that time. Currently no game more 'however, I must say it is a fantastic game. Magic> Yu-Gi-Oh!

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
The solution would be choosing a Core Set that gives most colors good tools to fight Zoo such as cheap Wrath effects or, heck, even Stone Rain. Alternatively, a Core Set with good Control and Combo options (7th comes to mind, gogogo Counterspell!).
PLEASE no Stone Rain, I really detest land destruction x: but seconding a Core Set with some good control cards like maybe Arcanis and Counterspell??

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
tempted to say "lets just build out own core set lol"
but that's stupid

I approve of any core set with Counterspell and Doom Blade. If I'm correct, isn't Deprive (which is a fail version of Counterspell) from M11 or M10?

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Deprive is RoE I think. M10 and M11 do both have Mana Leak and Cancel though

7th edition has counterspell and mana leak, but I think we should use a more recent core set for power level concerns. Also here's to hoping that only 1 or 2 people make Jund =/

To prevent problems with crazily powerful ramp dudes, I propose Kami-Rav-9 standard. Maybe with Coldsnap included if you guys want. (This was actually a legal standard format, for, what, a month or two? Not too clear on it myself)

To prevent problems with crazily powerful ramp dudes, I propose Kami-Rav-9 standard. Maybe with Coldsnap included if you guys want. (This was actually a legal standard format, for, what, a month or two? Not too clear on it myself)
I would be okay with this. I would suggest not including coldsnap for the sake of time (weeee countertop mirrors) but i'll leave the decision in the hands of others.

I'm not sure if Countertop would be all that powerful in that format... Many of the things that made CB Top that bad in Legacy (Brainstorm if you dont have top, fetchlands without top to see a new top 3 every turn, Force of Will to get rid of everything before you land CB, a generally low CC so its easy to find lock your opponent down...) are not available in the format... Coldsnap also gives us the waaay awesome Scrying Sheets, which encourages monocolour in this ridiculously multicolour format, so... Haha. Just to play the devil's advocate, of course xD

7th edition has counterspell and mana leak, but I think we should use a more recent core set for power level concerns. Also here's to hoping that only 1 or 2 people make Jund =/
Are you seriously worried about the power level of a Core Set in an environment with Wild Nacatl, Shocklands, Lightning Helix, Dark Confidant and Bloodbraid Elf?
There's no set with Counterspell AND Doom Blade. What you do have is M12 with Mana Leak and Doomblade or 4th, 5th and 6th editions with Counterspell and Terror. 7th Edition doesn't have Mana Leak. I am fully supportive of the numbered Core Sets (minus 8th).

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
If we do choose a Core Set or two to include, keeping in mind we could just roll with the two blocks alone, I think it should be one that was legal during or between the period of Ravnica and Alara Standards. I think that's from 8th Edition (maybe 9th, dunno old core set rules) up to M11.

Nopes, 8th was never legal with Ravnica, I believe. Ravnica was legal with 9th (release Jun 05 - before Rav), and I'm not sure if it was legal with 10th (I believe for a short period, at the end of Rav-TSP t2?)... Alara was the block after Lorwyn, so that would be 10th, M10, and M11, I believe, so the rest of your period would be correct, with the exception of 8th?

In any case, though, given that the choice of Rav+Alara blocks appear completely arbitrary, wouldn't it be better to just play Choose Your Own Standard (any 2 blocks + any (4th and beyond, I believe?) Core Set)? Gives more flexibility, in any case - just that we would have to formulate a banned list of our own?

i think cyo standard has a banned list consisting of all banned cards while the set in question was in standard? cyo or ravinca / shards seems fine to me really, it's just that everyone will probably pick ravinca / shards for the killer zoo / jund deck anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)