Magic: The Gathering

I know the fetchlands are in the set which are probably worth a fair bit (as well as riptidetide lab I think). If anything else, you could just use it to draft and get people to buy your packs off you. not sure how good triple onslaught is but I bet it will be interesting simply because it is a format you will rarely ever draft.

on a side note, how well did rob dougherty do with B/W. I know he got a deck tech but thats it. I really don't think a player of his level would choose a shitty deck to play at a pro tour.
He finished with 31 points (10-5-1), in 39th place.

that doesn't sound very likely when there's a card called strangle root geist
He's not joking, lol...

Adam Reiser

4 Copperline Gorge
11 Forest
4 Kessig Wolf Run
1 Mountain
4 Rootbound Crag
24 lands

4 Birds of Paradise
3 Garruk's Companion
4 Huntmaster of the Fells
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Strangleroot Geist
4 Thrun, the Last Troll
1 Viridian Corrupter
24 creatures

3 Brimstone Volley
2 Dismember
1 Galvanic Blast
4 Green Sun's Zenith
4 Sword of War and Peace
14 other spells

Sideboard
4 Ancient Grudge
1 Combust
2 Daybreak Ranger
3 Increasing Savagery
3 Manabarbs
2 Sword of Feast and Famine

So, you had a winning record in Standard at last weekend's Pro Tour, and all you post ITT is one sentence pointing out a random tech card in your deck?

How about a full tournament report, please!

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I question more why he even bothered to splash red. :P Garruk's Companion isn't all that bad a card. It looks like a mash-up between Anderson's mono-green aggro and standard ol' RG Wolf Run, the former of which evolved from a similar list as that before their playtest group figured out that splashing red for Wolf Run wasn't the right finisher for the deck. :[

Huntmaster's insane and you want the removal or else Humans, the most played deck, just colds you easily. Flipping daybreak or huntmaster (while also being able to volley in the same turn) were very good in these matchups and the only thing the mono green list had going for it was dungrove elder. The deck was really bad in my testing. Their playtest group was probably using worse builds and mono green performed very poorly at the event. It's very possible Blohan's pod build was just a better version of our deck, but it's a PT and you don't have perfect information.

Idk about a tournament report my games weren't super interesting. It was my 3rd PT...I showed up to hawaii on wednesday and it was pretty awesome.

the real question is why the fuck you're not running Stangle Root Geist over Garruk Compan
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
edh
fucking ridiculous

mirrorworks out
copy caged sun
copy gauntlet of power
each island makes UUUUU
beacon of tomorrows
everyone facepalms
next turn
planeswalk to minamo
high tide
i now have stupid amounts of mana
blue sun's zenith, mystical tutor, blue sun's zenith to KO two out of three opponents
second blue sun topdecks me beacon of tomorrows again
next turn cast three merfolk lords, argentum armor, and mistform ultimus. dude tries to spell crumple the ultimus. i counterlash it. he pacts. i spelljack his pact. he CANCELS (lolol?) Spelljack. I Pact his Cancel.
swiftfoot boots. gg

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
My play group is really upset with me because my Riku deck wins before turn 10 on a consistent basis. Every time I play it's a 4 v 1 and I win 50% of the time anyway. So I need to make a new EDH deck and I'm thinking either GW Rhys, the Redeemed token deck or else WUBRG Horde of Notions tribal. I think Rhys will be less vulnerable to mana screw, but Horde of Notions will probably be more fun and more casual.

Elementals is ungodly fun, specially after you have a Cloudstone Curio and/or Vedalken Mastermind, which also work wonders with Oblivion Ring. Genesis and Reveillark are great tools against Wrath effects (and Evoke).

Myzozoa

I've decided that my next edh deck will be Oona, Queen of the Fae. With no creatures except for Oona. The idea is to get a lot of land, then wipe the board in between milling them. If all else fails, you can still win on Exsanguinate and general damage. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them, just no creatures.

Here is my rough draft:

1 Oona, Queen of the Fae
1 Sol Ring
1 Cabal Coffers
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Reins of Power
1 Damnation
1 Propaganda
1 Rhystic Study
1 Time Warp
1 Walk the Aeons
1 Caged Sun
1 Extraplanar Lens
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Swiftfoot Boots
1 Sword of Feast and Famine
1 Liliana Vess
1 Jace Beleren
1 Tezzeret the Seeker
1 Diabolic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Animate Dead
1 Doubling Cube
1 Gilded Lotus
1 Time Spiral
1 Vedalken Orrery
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Mind's Eye
1 Phyrexian Arena
1 Grave Pact
1 Spell Crumple
1 Cryptic Command
1 Profane Command
1 Counterspell
1 Traumatize
1 Keening Stone
1 Mystifying Maze
1 Maze of Ith
1 Painful Quandary
1 Dreadship Reef
1 Fellwar Stone
1 Dimir Signet
1 Jayemdae Tome
1 Life's Finale
1 Black Sun's Zenith
1 Bribery
1 Praetor's Grasp
1 Exsanguinate
1 Necropotence
1 Vesuva
1 Rite of Replication
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Drowned Catacomb
1 Reflecting Pool
1 Command Tower
1 Time Stretch
1 Twincast
10 Island
7 Swamp
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Academy Ruins
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Temple of the False God
1 Watery Grave
1 Nephalia Drownyard
1 Polluted Delta
1 Lonely Sandbar
1 Creeping Tar Pit
1 Hinder
1 Memory Plunder
1 Memory Erosion
1 Reanimate
1 Decree of Pain
1 Telemin Performance
1 Barter in Blood
1 Diabolic Vision
1 Beacon of Unrest
1 Skullclamp
1 Desertion
1 Strip Mine
1 Mana Crypt
1 Ashnod's Altar
1 Evacuation
1 Perplex
1 Miren, the Moaning Well

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
Extraplanar Lens is bunk in a multicolor deck with not-that-many basics. Equipment is pretty lame in a deck with no dudes. ;[ Although Skullclamp is still good, for obvious reasons, and Jitte might still be passable.

I've decided that my next edh deck will be Oona, Queen of the Fae. With no creatures except for Oona. The idea is to get a lot of land, then wipe the board in between milling them. If all else fails, you can still win on Exsanguinate and general damage. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them, just no creatures.

Here is my rough draft:

1 Oona, Queen of the Fae
1 Sol Ring
1 Cabal Coffers
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Reins of Power
1 Damnation
1 Propaganda
1 Rhystic Study
1 Time Warp
1 Walk the Aeons
1 Caged Sun
1 Extraplanar Lens
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Swiftfoot Boots
1 Sword of Feast and Famine
1 Liliana Vess
1 Jace Beleren
1 Tezzeret the Seeker
1 Diabolic Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Animate Dead
1 Doubling Cube
1 Gilded Lotus
1 Time Spiral
1 Vedalken Orrery
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Mind's Eye
1 Phyrexian Arena
1 Grave Pact
1 Spell Crumple
1 Cryptic Command
1 Profane Command
1 Counterspell
1 Traumatize
1 Keening Stone
1 Mystifying Maze
1 Maze of Ith
1 Painful Quandary
1 Dreadship Reef
1 Fellwar Stone
1 Dimir Signet
1 Jayemdae Tome
1 Life's Finale
1 Black Sun's Zenith
1 Bribery
1 Praetor's Grasp
1 Exsanguinate
1 Necropotence
1 Vesuva
1 Rite of Replication
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Drowned Catacomb
1 Reflecting Pool
1 Command Tower
1 Time Stretch
1 Twincast
10 Island
7 Swamp
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Academy Ruins
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Temple of the False God
1 Watery Grave
1 Nephalia Drownyard
1 Polluted Delta
1 Lonely Sandbar
1 Creeping Tar Pit
1 Hinder
1 Memory Plunder
1 Memory Erosion
1 Reanimate
1 Decree of Pain
1 Telemin Performance
1 Barter in Blood
1 Diabolic Vision
1 Beacon of Unrest
1 Skullclamp
1 Desertion
1 Strip Mine
1 Mana Crypt
1 Ashnod's Altar
1 Evacuation
1 Perplex
1 Miren, the Moaning Well
1. Use Dralnu, Lich Lord as your general instead
2. Play a million sweet instant/sorceries in your deck, and play them again with dralnu.
3. ??????
4. OBTAIN WOMEN. ALL THE WOMEN.

So i've been trying to get into Vintage and I've learned that the best card is the credit card. Power is so expensive T_T

Myzozoa

Yeah, I feel that. If I was trying to get into the eternal formats I would probably do it in a very long-term and circumspect way. This doesn't apply to vintage, but in legacy I would probably buy a cheap burn deck/ red deck wins to play in the short-term. In the long term I would look to trade up.

I would go on ebay and try to find play-sets of trade-able cards for cheap. Example: A few days ago I get a play set of Avenger of Zendikar for $6.50, I traded 3 of them for a Cascade Bluffs and some junk rares, a $14 value. So in addition to trading up (any time you trade for dual lands like cascade bluffs it's trading up), I also made a reasonable profit in term of stuff I have to trade. There may come a time when I trade 3 Cascade Bluffs for a Tropical Island, a legacy staple. A couple days ago I payed $13 for 4 chinese Rhys, each is worth $8. It will probably take a long time for me to unload those Rhys, but thats okay because I stand to gain a lot when I do.

So instead of paying for legacy with money, I plan on paying for it mostly with time, it takes a lot longer may way then just with a credit card, but it's much cheaper. Also, invest in cards that will go up in value and avoid cards that will go down in value. Things that go up in value are cycles of lands that won't be reprinted, like the Shadowmoor filterlands, they aren't in standard and they won't be reprinted= long term holding value. One of my smartest investments was buying Seachrome Coast at $4 each right after Jace the Mindsculptor was banned (literally that weekend). Think about what metagame shifts will cause which cards to go up in value. For example I will, within the next month, attempt to sell or trade my Seachrome Coasts at $17 each before it gets too close to rotating out of standard, and as soon as Consecrated Sphinx rotates I will try to get them because right now theyre price is too high to be worth while.

Just some thoughts, and I hope you are able to get into vintage, it may be worthwhile for you to look up Pack to Power strategies.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
Angel of Restoration is p good just sayin. Actually, that G/W one is quite strong too, a better Sphinx of Jwar Isle for cheaper?

tl;dr Avacyn is the worst Legendary Angel in her set

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Griselbrand + Necrotic Ooze = AWW YEAH

Also I can see a use for Avacyn in EDH; Drop Avacyn, then drop Armageddon and/or Planar Cleansing. Make everyone else ragequit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)