HP:  75
ATTACK:[B]95[/B]
DEFENSE:67
SP.ATK: [B]125[/B]
SP.DEF: [B]95[/B]
SPEED: 83

[B]TYPE:[/B] Fire
Weakness: Ground, Rock, Water
Normal: Ghost, Electric, Dragon, Dark, Normal, Psychic, Fighting, Flying, Poison
Resistant: Bug, Steel, Grass, Fire, Ice
Immune: None ;(

[U][B]ABILITIES:[/B][/U]
Flame Body: 30% chance of burn on physical contact
Vital Spirit (DreamWorld): Magmortar cannot sleep. Rest is useless
[B]
[U]LEVEL UP MOVES:[/U][/B]
-Thunderpunch
-Smog
-Leer
-Ember
-Smokescreen
6-Ember
11-Smokescreen
16-Faint Attack
21-Fire Spin
26-Confuse Ray
32-Bursting Flame
38-Fire Punch
[B]44-Lava Plume
50-Flamethrower
56-Sunny Day
62-Fire Blast[/B]
68-Hyper Beam

[U][B]TM MOVES:[/B][/U]
TM06-Toxic
[B]TM10-Hidden Power
TM11-Sunny Day
TM12-Taunt [/B]
TM15-Hyper Beam 
TM17-Protect 
TM21-Frustration 
[B]TM22-Solarbeam 
TM24-Thunderbolt [/B]
[B]TM26-Earthquake[/B]
TM27-Return
[B]TM29-Psychic[/B]
TM31-Brick Break
TM32-Double Team
[B]TM35-Flamethrower
TM38-Fire Blast[/B]
TM39-Rock Tomb
TM41-Torment
TM42-Facade
[B]TM43-Nitro Charge[/B]
TM44-Rest
TM45-Attract
TM46-Thief
[B]TM47-Ankle Sweep[/B]
TM48-Sing A Round
[B]TM50-Overheat
TM52-Focus Blast[/B]
TM56-Fling
TM59-Incinerate
TM61-Will-o-wisp
TM68-Giga Impact
[B]TM78-Level Ground[/B]
TM80-Rock Slide
TM87-Swagger
TM90-Substitute
TM94-Rock Smash
HM04-Strength

[U][B]EGG MOVES:[/B][/U]
Karate Chop
Mega Punch
Barrier
Screech
[B]Cross Chop[/B]
Thunderpunch
[B]Mach Punch[/B]
Dynamicpunch
Flare Blitz
Belly Drum
Iron Tail
Focus Energy

Now let's do some analysing, shall we?

Poor Magmortar. His design is so cool but yet he simply outclassed by the other fire types out there. He has a lot of power but is too slow to do much plus with a bad defensive typing he can not really stay the in battle for too long. It is not all over for Magmortar though as Gen V has brought him some new toys to play with, most of them help with Magmortars under average speed.

The Good

• New Moves: Ankle Sweep, Level Ground, Mach Punch and Nitro Charge
  • All these new moves help Magmortar with his below average speed. Ankle Sweep(fighting) and Level Ground(ground) are both BP60 moves which do damage and lower opponents speed by 1 which is very useful. Mach Punch is the first priority move for him and Nitro Charge is a stab move which also increases speed by 1 everytime used.
  • 125 Power
  • This may seem 'meh' to some of you with the introduction of Shandeera's 145 power but do not forget that this is still very high and can do damage to those unprepared. Do not forget this power can be increased in the sun with Magmortars fire STAB.
  • Nice Coverage
  • Magmortar has access to the powerful Thunderbolt, Solarbeam, Psychic and Earthquake.
The Bad

• Poor Defensive Typing
  • Say hello to the common ground, rock, water moves and STEALTH ROCKS! His resistances are poor because that is what Magmortar is stong against anyway.
  • Poor Speed and Defenses
  • This is Magmortar's biggest letdown. Even with his new moves he can still be killed by almost any powerful physical move out there. A 75/67/95 defensive fire type is not good enough..
  • No Recovery or Boosting Moves
  • No nastly plot or recover? You would have to rely on your base 125 special which would not really cut it nowadays with all these new pokemon introduced.
  • Bad Abilities
  • You really wouldn't want Magmortar to be touched on the physical side because of his 67 base defense. Dream World abilty kinda useless..
Possible Sets
(Sunny Scarfer)
Magmortar @Choice Scarf
252 SP.ATK/252 SPEED/6 DEFENSE
Solarbeam
Thunderbolt
Fire Blast/Flamethrower
HP Ice/HP Ground

This set would be used on a sunny team or when Ninetails uses his drought ability for permanent sun. Once the sun is out, bring in your Magmortar and attempt a sweep! Probably the best set I can think of..

(Mixed Attacker?)
Magmortar @Leftovers
252 ATTACK/126 SP.ATK/132 SPEED
Thunderbolt
Level Ground
Mach Punch/Cross Chop
Fire Blast/Flamethrower/Nitro Charge

Probably not the best but it has its uses. Level Ground to lower oppenents speed, Mach Punch for priority or Cross Chop for power, the fire move of your choice and thunderbolt for coverage. Magmortar may not survive that long to make this set work but who knows?

What are your general thoughts on Magmortar? Can he make Black/White OU? Is he a threat now? Can you think of a better set?

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Ah, Magmortar. One of my absolute favorite pokemon.
It really is a shame he is so outclassed.

I can definitely see promise in a your Scarfed set, Droughtales is an excellent partner for Magmortar.
His excellent coverage is something that stands out from most other Fire Types.

Vital Spirit is definitely a good upgrade for Magmortar. I prefer the mixed attacker. The Scarf set isn't bad either, just beware of Politoed switching into a Solarbeam, as it ruins the fun.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Possible Sets
(Sunny Scarfer)
Magmortar @Choice Scarf
252 SP.ATK/252 SPEED/6 DEFENSE
Solarbeam
Thunderbolt
Fire Blast/Flamethrower
HP Ice/HP Ground

This set would be used on a sunny team or when Ninetails uses his drought ability for permanent sun. Once the sun is out, bring in your Magmortar and attempt a sweep! Probably the best set I can think of..
That seems outclassed by Shanderra and Heatran in OU. It could be helpful in UU, where there's a Drought Vulpix and no Drizzle User.

I don't understand why you think Vital Spirit is a poor ability. One of Magmortar's biggest problems last generation was finding an opportunity to switch in. Vital Spirit allows Magmortar to switch in to Sleeping moves and start wrecking havoc. In the proposed Mixed set, I might through out level ground for Hidden Power Ice or Grass. Level Ground has repetitive coverage with Cross Chop and Mach Punch and has a low base power.

Well, Vital Spirit makes Magmortar a fine Venusaur counter (75/95 special defenses aren't bad, unlike it's physical defense, so it can take a Sludge Bomb or two), so it's not all lost.

Still, it probably will stay NU (which, in gen 4, i have NO IDEA why it is NU >_>) due to the hard competition it has with basically any fire poke now (even Torkoal lol).

No good new moves is bad IMO

I don't understand why you think Vital Spirit is a poor ability. One of Magmortar's biggest problems last generation was finding an opportunity to switch in. Vital Spirit allows Magmortar to switch in to Sleeping moves and start wrecking havoc.
I didn't mean to say Vital Spirit is poor. I meant that it is poor on a Magmortar because you don't really plan on him staying in for long and switching about a lot. If his dream world abilty was let's say Flash Fire then he would be even better.

I disagree, Vital Spirit is a brilliant ability on a fire type given it can switch into virtually any grass type without fear of sleep. The aforementioned Venusaur springs to mind and of course, Breloom. Flash Fire wouldn't be as useful as there are better users of it out there, namely Heatran.

Great new ability, unfortunately he is still outclasses by other Fire types. He might not be a bad counter for special Venusaurs, but physical Venusaurs carry Earthquake. He does barely outrun Venu though, so it could work, as long as he gets the KO. If he doesn't he's dead.

I'm excited for nitro charge and Mach Punch (i thought he got in 4th gen)

Anyways I see sets aimed like
Magmortar @ Life Orb
Modest/ Timid
Vital Spirit
252 Speed/ 252 Sp att
Nitro charge
Fire Blast
Thunderbolt
Cross chop/ Focus Blast/ Hidden Power (ice/ grass)

Or else
Fire Blast
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power (Grass/ Ice)
Mach Punch

Not as good as STAB priority, but it should be as excellent in the lower tiers, where everything is slightly slower.

Oh hey It got Mach Punch, too bad he is far too slow to make use of it against his biggest threat - Sharpedo.

Well, at least he'll be staying NU.

breh

強いだね
Uh... it got mach punch in 4th gen. It's still incompatible with belly drum, too...

So Vital Spirit and Rest do not work together? I can't use Rest, healing full HP and status and be awake?

So Vital Spirit and Rest do not work together? I can't use Rest, healing full HP and status and be awake?
No, you can't Sleep meaning you couldn't benefit from the healing of Rest since you can't Sleep.

"This Pokémon cannot be put to sleep. This Pokémon cannot use Rest. If a Pokémon is sleeping, and then gains Vital Spirit, it is instantly cured of sleep."

I just realized with Vital Spirit Magmortar could pose as a decent NU lead.

Magmortar @ Focus Sash
Naive
252 SpA / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Taunt
Fire Blast
Hidden Power Grass
Mach Punch

Taunt, Attack, Finish off. Looks good.

Hey, don't be hating on Vital Spirit. He can be a solid Breloom counter now, since he's immune to the inevitable Spore. And don't be all like "But Technician Breloom pwns with Mach Punch blehhebleh lol wat a no0b". We haven't gotten our hands on a stable 5th Gen Metagame yet, and without the bulk and plethora of resistances (Not to mention resisting the two most broken moves in the game, Outrage and Draco Meteor), Breloom is in no position to fill Scizor's niche. Poison Heal + Spore-SubPunch outclasses the Technician set almost any day.

252 Atk Adamant Breloom Technician boosted Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Neutral Magmortar: 67% - 78.7%

Now add residual damage and the effects of Weather.

I wouldn't go as far as to saying it could counter Breloom, especially if Breloom decides to go for a SD before a Spore. But either way, I don't see why you would opt for Magmortar > Celebi as a Breloom counter. Seeing as how Celebi shurgs off all of Breloom's Attacks, bar Facade and doesn't mind Sleeping.

Magmortar shouldn't even step into UU, let alone OU...

Or Breloom could just Sub on the switch and Focus Punch Magmortar to the third dimension...

Yup, not a counter at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)