Pokémon Magnezone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magnezone also cant trap Doublade or Aegislash at all due to them being ghost type
False. Being Ghost type only makes you immume to Shadow Tag, and both Doublade and Aegislash are part steel, therefore, they're trapped by Magnet Pull.

Honestly, there is much more in magnezone than just being a drag mag pokemon, fairies wont "ruin" his job, as long as sand sweepers like exca ,stoutland and sand/ rain sweepers like kingdra and kabutops or even more adventurous guys that use sharpedo or staraptor want something to clear steel types , magnezone will always be a good pokemon to consider.

btw i think this would be a really cool Pic to post in the OP since its naked right now.

I just double checked, and I stand corrected. Still, Magnezone can hit Aegislash on the switch in with HP Fire for some hefty damage.

NoStatusPlz, Magnezone can easily take Aegislash one on one;

252 Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Magnezone: 194-230 (69 - 81.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And then;

252 SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Blade: 255-301 (97.7 - 115.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

While not a guaranteed OHKO, it's still notable. This is assuming that Aegislash is using the mixed attacker set, which would mean minimal HP investment.

Last edited:
here are the real calcs since you apparently have no idea what you are talking about

252+ SpA Life Orb Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 148-175 (45.6 - 54%) -- 4.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

a 4.3% chance to 2HKO after a pretty typical leftovers set, since you run - speed nature on a mixed set, meaning you will move after magnezone and always be in shield form to take hits, not blade. Therefore you have to run choice specs if you want to 2HKO aegislash. If they see this huge damage and you do not take life orb damage then they know you are choice locked and can simply switch out aegislash to an electric immunity for free setup.

+2 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magnezone: 424-500 (123.2 - 145.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

standard swords dance on the switch in and then OHKOs with sacred sword. Even in you bring magnezone in after some one on your team has just died and aegislash is full hp, you still lose 95% of the time unless choice specced.

here are the real calcs since you apparently have no idea what you are talking about

252+ SpA Life Orb Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 148-175 (45.6 - 54%) -- 4.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

a 4.3% chance to 2HKO after a pretty typical leftovers set, since you run - speed nature on a mixed set, meaning you will move after magnezone and always be in shield form to take hits, not blade. Therefore you have to run choice specs if you want to 2HKO aegislash. If they see this huge damage and you do not take life orb damage then they know you are choice locked and can simply switch out aegislash to an electric immunity for free setup.

+2 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magnezone: 424-500 (123.2 - 145.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

standard swords dance on the switch in and then OHKOs with sacred sword. Even in you bring magnezone in after some one on your team has just died and aegislash is full hp, you still lose 95% of the time unless choice specced.
If you had read my post, you would see that I stated its assuming that the Aegislash is running the mixed set posted in the QC Analysis, which means minimal HP investment. Don't retort with a rude post when someone is simply trying to provide material
for the discussion.

well if we could refrain from posting sets that are bad that would be great, I have little patience for false statements. magnezone is not a good way to deal with aegislash.

well if we could refrain from posting sets that are bad that would be great, I have little patience for false statements. magnezone is not a good way to deal with aegislash.
>Implying Mixed Aegislash is bad

That said, MixSlash does use a Quiet nature, so Magnezone will outspeed it. You won't be switching Magnezone directly into Aegislash either, so Aegislash is gonna get owned if it stays in.

Honestly, there is much more in magnezone than just being a drag mag pokemon, fairies wont "ruin" his job, as long as sand sweepers like exca ,stoutland and sand/ rain sweepers like kingdra and kabutops or even more adventurous guys that use sharpedo or staraptor want something to clear steel types , magnezone will always be a good pokemon to consider.
Sums up my feeling pretty well, while Magnezone can't do DragMag as well due to all the Fairy types, the fact is that Steel is still one if the most relevant typings in the game and Magnezone can help break them down quite effectively. You don't need to be a dragon to appreciate Skarmory being gone.

btw i think this would be a really cool Pic to post in the OP since its naked right now.
WHY ARE YOU BULLYING THE MAWILE PUT IT DOWN ;_;

Last edited:
I just don't see the value in a 1 for trade to be honest.

AT BEST ok you trap their klefki or whatever and kill him great. then all of a sudden the millions of sweepers that can OHKO magnezone easily come in, and you can't risk giving a free turn of setup by switching, so you have to keep magnezone in to just die. you eliminated klefki, they eliminated magnezone. you didn't really gain anything.

AT WORST your opponent does not even have a steel utility type and only has things like excadrill/aegislash or even the ever common genesect/heatran that can easy take it 1v1 and you play a 5v6 game. That is why I do not feel that magnezone deserves a spot on a team after using him quite a bit, he's just dead weight sometimes which you never want.
You build around dealing with set-up sweeping then or use Flash Cannon/hidden power fire if you think they're going to switch in a ground type or steel pokemon like Excadrill (only really risky on Rotom-W and maybe some water pokemon). Gourgiest cover's Magnezone's ground/fighting weakness perfectly and can switch in Excadrill and check it while it's sword dancing with will-o-wisp assuming it doesn't get flinched by rocks or carries Iron Head (it also doesn't like fire though, get a water pokemon to wall that). It's a notable problem for Magnezone, but it certainly isn't impossible to build around nor does it make him dead weight. He has Volt switch as well to avoid unfavorable match ups against non-ground types.

The only time it screwed me over is Lum Berry Garchomp (which I'm surprised I'm not seeing more of). Many choice pokemon risk being set up on though (even Talonflame), it's not just Magnezone.

The set's already posted on Smogon so I won't post it here, but the Modest Choice specs set is really good and is probably the best way I'd recommend running him this gen (if you see Klefki, you need to kill it ASAP to avoid having it set up 3 layers). There aren't that many set-up users that enjoy taking a Modest Specs Thunderbolt/Flash Cannon. Timid scarf or modest scarf just isn't fast enough this gen imo, he's got a lot of good resistances to force switches anyway and he walls plenty of fairies/checks Mega Mawile (plus the addition of sticky web can completely ruin it without a spinner/defogger). There's pokemon with better coverage that can make better use of scarf than Magnezone (Rotom-W). Ferrothorn/Klefki are very common so sub/charge beam set with leftovers can also work really well.

Last edited:

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Magnezone @ Choice scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Fire
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

... it can trap the common Ferrothorn lead and OHKO all physical variants while 2HKOing all special variants...
I don't know what damage calculator you're using:

252 SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Ferrothorn: 232-276 (65.9 - 78.4%)

Timid also misses out on the guaranteed OHKO against Scizor:

252 SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Scizor: 316-372 (91.8 - 108.1%)

Modest is preferable because:

252+ SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Scizor: 344-408 (100 - 118.6%)
252+ SpA Magnezone Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 336-396 (100.5 - 118.5%)
so you have the option to Volt Switch and not be locked in to Thunderbolt against a new Pokemon.

Unfortunately, Modest Scarf ties beneficial base 100 at best, so there's definitely merit to Timid. Personally, I'd use Modest / 252 SAtk / 44 HP / 212 Spe to outspeed Jolly Mega Garchomp.

Last edited:
Does Hidden power ice one shot Garchomp with the hidden power nerf? Considering you need to run timid/scarf to outspeed and hit it with that, it's going to be missing out on quite a bit of power without a modest nature. Sable-eye could probably recover stall you after will-o-wisp.

EDIT: nvm, I just discovered the calculator on the front page lol

Timid Nature Choice scarf Magnezone:

252 SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Ice vs. 6 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 300-356 (83.7 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Possibly OH-KO with hazards, but meh. There's better options against Garchomp, yache berry isn't uncommon on it either.

Last edited:
I've always been against Scarf Magnezone. He's too slow to run Modest, but unless you run him in the rain he's not strong enough (his strongest attack after Thunder [110 BP] being Thunderbolt [90 BP]) to effectively run Timid. Compare him to Latios or Keldeo. They ran Timid, but they also had Draco Meteor and Hydro Pump (which was often rain-boosted) to fall back on. To be fair, I made these observations when Starmie was still common, who outspeed and KO'd you with Hydro Pump after a little residual damage, but not outspeeding base 115s if Magnezone is Timid kinda sucks, and as it's been pointed out you only TIE positive-natured base 100s if Modest. Not worth it. If you really want a scarf Magnet Puller, Magneton actually isn't a bad option. It's not much weaker at base 120 Special Attack but MUCH faster at base 70 Speed. If you want a Choice item, I recommend Choice Specs.

I've always been against Scarf Magnezone. He's too slow to run Modest, but unless you run him in the rain he's not strong enough (his strongest attack after Thunder [110 BP] being Thunderbolt [90 BP]) to effectively run Timid. Compare him to Latios or Keldeo. They ran Timid, but they also had Draco Meteor and Hydro Pump (which was often rain-boosted) to fall back on. To be fair, I made these observations when Starmie was still common, who outspeed and KO'd you with Hydro Pump after a little residual damage, but not outspeeding base 115s if Magnezone is Timid kinda sucks, and as it's been pointed out you only TIE positive-natured base 100s if Modest. Not worth it. If you really want a scarf Magnet Puller, Magneton actually isn't a bad option. It's not much weaker at base 120 Special Attack but MUCH faster at base 70 Speed. If you want a Choice item, I recommend Choice Specs.

i prefer running a specs set with this spread:
it does require some predictions but allows magnenoze to take some hits and wen it forces switches whatever comes in gets it hard

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Trait: Analytic
EVs: 172 HP / 0 Atk / / 252 SAtk / 84 Spd
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Last edited:
Pretty new to competitive battling, but I have been thinking of a defensive core consisting of Mandibuzz and Magnezone:

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Trait: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 10 SpDef
Impish Nature
-Foul Play
-Taunt
-Roost
-Defog/Toxic

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 248 HP/ 10 Def / 252 SpAtk /
Bold Nature
-Thunderbolt
-Flash Cannon
-Volt Switch
-Hidden Power Fire

While I am pretty sure Mandibuzz should be fine with her set, I am still very much doubting this Magnezone set is optimal and would greatly appreciate any tips.

i feel like Magnezone would be a huge threat in the OU metagame. With the abundance of fairies and Magnezone's defenses, it could actually stand a chance with the big boys.

I'm using a Magnezone exactly like they use in B/W, in my X/Y Toxic Spikes team. I feel like with the abundance of Genesect and Scizor in Pokebank OU, Magnezone now needs a good mix of SpA and Spe to be able to outspeed AND OHKO these threats. Usually I don't care about not being able to OHKO Foretress, Ferrothorn and Klefki. Thunderwave and Toxic have no effect on you, all their offensive moves are resisted (bare Foul Play Klefki) and while most of them might be able to set-up some spikes against you, killing them guaranteedly is also a nice benefit.

I'm using Magnezone in an offensive Toxic Spikes team with Hex and Venoshock. The only mons unaffected by toxic spikes are Flying/Steel type or the ones who have levitate. Magnezone is a huge threat to the former, and can safely Volt Switch against the latter. I'd say he stays OU. Minimum of BL.

the introduction of sticky web helps magnezone a lot allowing it to out-speed certain treats that usually out-speed him

So basically Magnezone cant trap anymore because he gets 2HKO'd left and right.

So how can Magnezone even be remotely viable anymore? What is the current premier OU spec?

the introduction of sticky web helps magnezone a lot allowing it to out-speed certain treats that usually out-speed him
Yep! Magnezone works great on a sticky web team since it can outspeed things that get caught in sticky web but also 1HKO most flying types with its STAB T-bolt/V-Switch making him the perfect addition to a sticky web team. However since galvantula is the most common sticky web user using both him & magnezone you double up on electric types which kinda sucks :/

Things do seem kinda grim for Magnezone in postbank OU, at least in my eyes (which is a shame, because I've liked his line since I started playing Pokemon). Moves like Earthquake have great distribution, and everyone wants to have at least one Pokemon using it so they don't have a hard time dealing with stuff like Heatran--and Magnezone gets caught in the 4x crossfire.

Anyway, as others have said before me, since most Genesect and (non-Mega) Scizor will be running choice items if you're certain of that you can still make a move they're just a flammable as ever, just don't be fooled. Frisk support might be wise, since you're really laying your balls on the line when potentially dealing with something like this (before hazard damage and not including any other damage increases through items or stat ups):

252+ Atk Scizor Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Magnezone: 256-302 (74.4 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Genesect Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Magnezone: 302-356 (87.7 - 103.4%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

Defensively it might be worth investing enough EVs into SPEC.D. so that Magnezone doesn't fear a +1 downloaded Genesect as much. Magnezones not-so-great weight also puts him into the 100 DMG Low Kick range as well, so that's another big thing to watch out for.

I think it would be a shame not to also add that Eviolite Magneton is also quite viable, if you can avoid Knock Offs. Pairing him with a Mega to ensure Knock Offs don't cripple your team would be wise.

Just glancing at the top of the statistics page though, I see a lot of unfriendly faces...

Yep! Magnezone works great on a sticky web team since it can outspeed things that get caught in sticky web but also 1HKO most flying types with its STAB T-bolt/V-Switch making him the perfect addition to a sticky web team. However since galvantula is the most common sticky web user using both him & magnezone you double up on electric types which kinda sucks :/
Galvantula is not the only sticky web user available just saying , sure he is one of the best but there are alternatives

The thing about Scarf Magnezone is that it's outclassed by Magneton who has the extra speed necessary to do cool stuff like revenge kill +1 Adamant Dragonite, Gengar, Starmie, Keldeo, basically everything up to and including Talonflame.

Wow i didn't see this thread and I made my own >_<. No worries, I'll just copypaste it here :D

If anything, Magnezone got BETTER this gen. Sure steel lost two of its resistances but there are a lot of steel types and fairy types running around just waiting to be killed my Magnezone.

Name: Specs
Item: Choice specs
Ability: Magnet pull
EVs:168hp/252spatk/88spe
Modest nature
Move 1: Thunderbolt
Move 2: Volt switch
Move 3: Flash cannon
Move 4: Hidden power fire/Hidden power fighting

The main idea here, like in gen 5, is to come in, trap and revenge kill steel types. It can also hit insanely hard with Thunderbolt and Flash cannon and gain momentum with Volt switch. Ok I've explained those moves xD. Hidden power fire is there to hit steel types super effectively as this is a steel trapper. Fire is used over like ground or fighting because Forretress, Ferrothorn and Scizor (the things you will be trapping the most) are 4x weak to it. Hidden power fighting can still be used to hit stuff like Aggron I guess but that thing will most likely mega evolve and troll you with filter ( just use thunderbolt 252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Aggron: 289-342 84 - 99.4%)

Name: Scarf
Item: Choice scarf
EVs: 4hp/252spatk/252spe
Timid nature
Move 1:Thunderbolt
Move 2:Volt switch
Move 3:Flash cannon
Move 4:Hidden power fire

With a scarf, Magnezone outspeeds positive natured base 110 pokemon and reaches a speed stat of 359. Nothing much to say here apart from the fact that it can come in and revenge kill Mega Lucari that dont have vaccuum wave if its slightly weakened
252 SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Lucario: 198-234 (70.2 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
. The fast volt switches are always nice for gaining momentum. There's really not much else to say here.

Name: Subtroll
Item: Leftovers
EVs:168hp/252spatk/88spe
Modest nature
Move 1:Substitute
Move 2:Thunderbolt
Move 3:Flash cannon
Move 4:Hidden power ice/Hidden power fire

The aim of this set is to set up a sub against helpless steel types that can't touch you (weakned ferrothorn is a good example) and then have a sub up against the next pokemon your opponent brings in. Hidden power fire can be used to it those steel types hard and make ferrothorn complete bait or Hidden power ice can be used for coverage. The EVs and nature used are exactly the same to the choice specs, it has enough speed to outspeed skarmory although a set with no speed can work well too.

Any other good Magnezone sets? Is Magnezone better or worse than it was last gen? Leave your thoughts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)