Masquerain

Honestly, Masquerain is completely outclassed by Volcarona and even the likes of Venomoth. Even its onlt possible niche, baton passing butterfly dances, it is outclassed in by Venomoth, who has Tinted Lens, Sleep Powder and can actualy take use of the boosts. Venomoth also has access to Toxic Spikes if your into that. I really don't see Masquerain rising up the ranks, even when UU comes into fruition.

Also why was this necro'd, let it rest people.
Its not outclassed by Volcarona because its presumably going to be in a different tier. And Venomoth and Masquerain have 2 different abilities setting them apart. And Masqerain arguable gets the more useful moves for sweeping. Water/Ice/Bug is better than Poison/Bug/Psychic really.

Its not outclassed by Volcarona because its presumably going to be in a different tier. And Venomoth and Masquerain have 2 different abilities setting them apart. And Masqerain arguable gets the more useful moves for sweeping. Water/Ice/Bug is better than Poison/Bug/Psychic really.
What sets Masquerain apart from other Bugs with Quiver Dance is that it gets a way of hitting most Steels for neutral damage with Hydro Pump (others can hit neutrally if they have Tinted Lens, and Volcarona like you said will be a different tier). Also, its rare for said Bugs to have access to a 120BP move, as most of their highest BP moves are around 90 or so.

Also, as an aside, having access to Ice type moves might help Masquerain distinguish itself among its peers, but a combo of Bug/ Water/ Ice is walled by quite a lot:

Empoleon, Keldeo, Jellicent, Poliwrath, Qwilfish, Shedinja and Tentacruel.

Personally, I would go for duel STAB and use Bug Buzz along with Air Slash, as well as Hydro Pump. It gets much better coverage, being walled only by Dialga and Empoleon. Plus, the ability to hit the Fighters that Masquerain will no doubt be switching into for SE damage, as well as the Flinch chance, should come in useful.

breh

強いだね
in the combo that you mentioned, I'm honestly only afraid of Tentacruel and (to a lesser extent) Jellicent. The rest... just suck.

in the combo that you mentioned, I'm honestly only afraid of Tentacruel and (to a lesser extent) Jellicent. The rest... just suck.
My thoughts too. Besides many are pretty rare. Poliwrath? Eh.

Oh and just saying. If used in higher tiers, it'd be able to put a dent into something like Heatran with Hydro Pump, unlike Venomoth which would have to use Psychic to do decent damage to it.

If used in a standard match I'd keep Ice Beam for the inevitable Dragon. For lower tiers I can see why you'd pick Air Slash.

They dont suck, but aren't threats Masquerain will have to deal with, since its UU at best.

Tenta, Empoleon Jelli and Keldeo (once released) are OU (yes, keldeo IS gonna be OU).
Shedinja may be a trouble, but it walls a lot of useful sets anyway...
Poli and Quil can give you some trouble, but... The fact that gyarados and zapdos completely resist scizor's moveset doesnt imply that scizor sucks.

Shedinja counters so many sets these days, if I had the guts I could probably sweep whole teams with the mother fucker. Problem is, one sand hit and by-by, still might work on rain and sun teams.

Back to this thing though, seems decent, it might actually have a chance to be good. I think there might be a bulky set possible, switch in on a special attacker, and just quiver dance up.

I think if used in OU, you gotta pack Life Orb, and gotta pack Drizzle Politoad. Intimidate barely negates the power of foes in OU to spare it from a KO since the power creep has really gone up, and it will need to be Modest and only hit foes super-effectively or neutrally if using Drizzle boosted Hydro Pumps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)