Pokémon Medicham

Status
Not open for further replies.
They give megas 100 extra stats so there is no way all of it will go to just its attack and speed.

I give Gallade that it has better movepool and could setup swords dance but Medicham has the immediate unreal offense pressure so Gallade will still probably be outclassed.
Until it starts throwing around +2 Knock Offs easily obliterating Medicham's few "counters". It will hit with a fair amount less force than Medicham but with far more bulk and a way better movepool.

Question.

In the Wallbreaker set, it lists in the EV spread that they're 16 HP/240 Attack/252 Speed.

But in the Set Details part, it says this.

240 Speed EVs are used because Mega Medicham will outspeed Jolly Pinsir before it Mega Evolves and easily live a Quick Attack; 252 Speed EVs are not used, as the final 12 EVs are unnecessary.
What happened? Did whoever posted the EV spread have a brain fart or something?

Alright kids, it's Find-Medicham-a-niche-that-isn't-outclassed-by-Gallade time!

Yaaaaaaaaay!

In all seriousness I'm really struggling to find a use for this. Immediate power is all it really has, as well as Fake Out for a safe Mega and Bullet Punch as a usable priority.

Doesn't help that Mega Sableye walls it to hell and back just like it does with Mega Gallade... actually, if Medicham could learn Play Rough then it would have a great niche over Mega Gallade but yeah as of now Mega Medicham really struggles to make an impact, I hate when a obviously good pokemon is so horribly outclassed that it ends in the lower viability ranking and a banlist :(

Ive come to the Conclusion that Medichan yeah its walle by Mega Sableye and Ghost in General so he' s a great Wallbreaker, but when using this pokemon should ALWAYS consider having GHOST COUNTERS, I prefer Dark Pokemons as partners but Really any strong special sttacker can get rid of pesky Ghosts..

Last edited:
Ive come to teh Conclusion that Medichan yeah its walle by Mega Sableye and Ghost in General so Hes a gerat Wallbreaker, but When using thsi pokemon should ALWAYS consider having GHOST COUNTERS, I prefer Dark Pokemons as Partners but Really any Strong Special Attacker can get rid of pesky Ghosts..
There's two relevant ghost-types in the entire metagame (unless you count cofagrigus... lol).
Way I see it the only thing to discuss on this thread anymore is how to give Medicham a niche over Gallade, rather than discuss something that can counter them both.

There's two relevant ghost-types in the entire metagame (unless you count cofagrigus... lol).
Way I see it the only thing to discuss on this thread anymore is how to give Medicham a niche over Gallade, rather than discuss something that can counter them both.
Don't think there is one outside the already mentioned immediate power and bullet punch. Mega Medicham would have struggled in oras even without Mega Gallade with Mega Sableye everywhere but the competition just sealed the deal completely :(

Yaaaaaaaaay!

In all seriousness I'm really struggling to find a use for this. Immediate power is all it really has, as well as Fake Out for a safe Mega and Bullet Punch as a usable priority.
as far as I can tell, the only set it's any good at compared to gallade is sub+3 attacks

Im Current running a set with Fake out , Bullet Punch and Dual Stab and it Hits pretty hard , however bullet punch feels underwhelming... I wont compare it With Gallade because you just CANT comapre such an awesome ability as PURE POWER. Gallade might have better bulk but boy that Attack increase allow Medicham to Punch holes if you dont have resistances vs it, and If you do,I don't think it can take it pretty well. Isn' t His Raw power and higher Base move without Defense Drop Hi Jump kick vs Close Combat an advantage. If his Attack is Higher and he does more damge overall could be considers as his "niche " per se. Does a Bulk up set has any relevance , anyone tried it??

Last edited:
Im Current running a set with Fake out , Bullet Punch and Dual Stab and it Hits pretty hard , however bullet punch feels underwhelming... I wont compare it With Gallade because you just CANT comapre such an awesome ability as PURE POWER. Gallade might have better bulk but boy that Attack increase allow Medicham to Punch holes if you dont have resistances vs it, and If you do,I don't think it can take it pretty well. Isn' t His Raw power and higher Base move without Defense Drop Hi Jump kick vs Close Combat an advantage. If his Attack is Higher and he does more damge overall could be considers as his "niche " per se. Does a Bulk up set has any relevance , anyone tried it??
Hi Jump Kick has a FAR bigger risk than Close Combat due to taking half your health away if you miss, go through or ghost or touch protect. The power difference between HJK and CC is pretty much completely negligible and to be quit honest if Medicham got CC I'd run it over HJK any day of the week.
Bulk Up is far better on Gallade because Medicham's too frail to pull it off.
While Medicham has far better initial power, Gallade can find many, many opportunities to set up a Swords Dance which puts it on par with Medicham's Pure Power attack stat while having Knock Off, better bulk and a far more desirable speed tier.

Hi Jump Kick has a FAR bigger risk than Close Combat due to taking half your health away if you miss, go through or ghost or touch protect. The power difference between HJK and CC is pretty much completely negligible and to be quit honest if Medicham got CC I'd run it over HJK any day of the week.
Bulk Up is far better on Gallade because Medicham's too frail to pull it off.
While Medicham has far better initial power, Gallade can find many, many opportunities to set up a Swords Dance which puts it on par with Medicham's Pure Power attack stat while having Knock Off, better bulk and a far more desirable speed tier.
Yeah Judging by Stats, Movesets, and else, I completely agree now, However, as you mentioned. Medicham advantage is IMMEDIATE POWER, and I think for some teams thats just what they need best. Ive asked one guy before why he ditn run a Swords dance set on his pokemon, and he told me he prefers the immediate Raw Power,that could go with many players.Bullet Punch and Fake Out Medicham are her tools she can Shine at best IMO, Sub set isn't so good because if you are gonna use the Sub set why not just use Gallade , she has better coverage, he can SD instead , and subbing would only shield her from status.

This probably sounds completely bullshit insane and incredibly gimmicky.
But I've been going through Medicham's movepool trying to find some sort of niche for it.
Substitute/Recover/Counter Impish Bulky Set anyone?

This probably sounds completely bullshit insane and incredibly gimmicky.
But I've been going through Medicham's movepool trying to find some sort of niche for it.
Substitute/Recover/Counter Impish Bulky Set anyone?
It gets Recover? What?!
How does that even work? Also, no, I don't think there's any hope saving Medicham
Although
252+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Medicham: 254-300 (78.3 - 92.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Lol

It gets Recover? What?!
How does that even work? Also, no, I don't think there's any hope saving Medicham
Although
252+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Medicham: 254-300 (78.3 - 92.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Lol
Yeah, it gets recover.
Lel dat calc.
Yeah I'm just going completely all out crazy trying to find some niche for it. But I think it's completely doomed to obscurity by now.

If Medicham is going to have a niche over Gallade, it would have to come from its access to Recover. Double priority isn't a great niche, especially since Lopunny and MMeta probably do their one priority better than Medicham does both.

This set has a lot of problems (burns, Talonflame), but I think it carves out a bit of a niche for Medi. Let me know what you guys think:

Medicham @ Medichamite
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt / Facade
- Recover

Medicham doesn't have great bulk, but with full SpD investment, it can take neutral special attacks pretty well, and proceed to boost and heal with Recover/Drain Punch. A few of the possibilities:

252 SpA Mega Sceptile Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Medicham: 108-127 (33.3 - 39.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
216 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Medicham: 126-149 (38.8 - 45.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Medicham: 124-147 (38.2 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

So, I don't know if this Medicham is viable, but it can at least do something that Gallade can't.

Yaaaaaaaaay!

How about the fact that it's compatible with X and Y, unlike Mega Gallade.

It gets Baton Pass to gain momentum, but apart from this and the bigger attack stack its pretty much outclassed by Mega Gallade.

Bullet Punch is pretty awful IMO.

Going to revive the old controversy.

Besides better bulk and coverage options, even when you factor in Megacham's Huge Power ability, Mega Gallade STILL has a higher BST. So yeah, I think we might as well stick a fork in Mega Medicham, because it's outclassed in every way.

Going to revive the old controversy.

Besides better bulk and coverage options, even when you factor in Megacham's Huge Power ability, Mega Gallade STILL has a higher BST. So yeah, I think we might as well stick a fork in Mega Medicham, because it's outclassed in every way.
Higher BST means absolutely nothing by this point. We've got 'mon with 700 BST, both with the Dragon type and 170 base attack residing in the B ranks.

Medicham holds the one niche - the one, very situational niche - in that it has better initial wallbreaking capability.

Medicham holds the one niche - the one, very situational niche - in that it has better initial wallbreaking capability.
But that's just the thing. Because it's so damned situational, it's not always going to be possible to exploit that niche. And without that, Mega Medicham is hopelessly outclassed all around.

But that's just the thing. Because it's so damned situational, it's not always going to be possible to exploit that niche. And without that, Mega Medicham is hopelessly outclassed all around.
Of course I agree that Medicham is outclassed in general by Gallade; I think anyone denying that at this point is simply feigning ignorance. But it's not entirely outclassed because again, it has better initial wallbreaking power. Never going to be a top OU threat again unless it gets like V-create or something from an event lol; but it definitely still has some uses.
... some uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)