ORAS UU Mega Ampharos Team

Hi! A general breakdown of this team for any of you who are interested is basically a Volt-Turn Mega Ampharos team, including entry hazard stacking. I am as of now unbeaten with this team, and it features some of the coolest Pokemon in the tier in my opinion. I believe it's a very good team, although any improvements you can suggest are welcome.

Without further ado, here it is:

The main Pokemon: Ampharos

Ampharos (M) @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch

The pretty standard Ampharos set, I believe all of you are familiar with it. Thunderbolt works as a STAB move which hits pretty hard and helps keeping consistensy, although Volt Switch is most oftenly used in this kind of teams in order to keep momentum and getting the most advantage of the entry hazards. Dragon Pulse works as a secondary STAB move primarily against possible Ground, Grass or Dragon-types switching in. Finally, Focus Blast is used as a last resort to hit harder some defensive Pokemon such as Forretress or Blissey, although there are other answers for those Pokemon in this team.

Stealth Rock setter: Donphan

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard

Donphan works both as a hazard setter with Stealth Rock and a spinner. This set is a more offensive variant of the Rapid Spin set. Adamant nature and 252 EVs in attack in order to let Donphan hit as hard as it can, with Earthquake as it's STAB and Ice Shard to catch those Flying-types or in order to make some chip damage if Donphan were to faint anyways. Also, since Donphan is pretty bulky, it can take some physical hits and recover some of that damage with Leftovers.

Spikes setter: Roserade

Roserade (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Leaf Storm
- Extrasensory

Roserade works pretty well supporting the aforementioned Pokemon (beats Water-types that threten Donphan and Ground-types that threaten Ampharos). Both Donphan and Roserade fit in a somewhat similiar role and share the same objective: hazard stacking to help the other Pokemon in the team to sweep late-game. In this case I chose Spikes over Toxic Spikes because it helps causing damage to Pokemon such as Beedrill and Chandelure and limit their switch ins. Sludge Bomb is another decent STAB move to use against Fairy-types and some Grass-types. Extrasensory catches off guard Pokemon such as Crobat and Tentacruel that would dare to switch in against Roserade. And finally, no matter which Pokemon faces it, a Life Orb STAB boosted Leaf Storm will ALWAYS hit hard.

1st U-turn user: Infernape

Infernape (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Earthquake

The second Pokemon in the Volt-Turn core, Infernape works as a wallbreaker and beats almost anything the other have problems with. The reason I went with the Scarf variant is simple: Chandelure. I've always found Chandelure troublesome in this tier, so a Choice Scarfed Earthquake from Infernape will always be the solution. Also a Scarfed Flare Blitz makes wonders Against Mega Beedrill, and U-turn helps against Psychic-types that would come in without expecting a Choice Scarf. It also helps keep momentum and let Ampharos come in safely. Basically, a Choice Scarfed Infernape outspeeds the whole unboosted tier.

2nd U-turn user: Crobat

Crobat (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Cross Poison
- Defog

Crobat has 3 main roles in this team: First, it's an answer against bulky SpD fairies such as Florges or Sylveon, which the other Pokemon can't handle really well (except maybe for Roserade). Second, it offers Defog support in case Donphan can't Rapid Spin for any reason. And third, it's a second U-turn user that helps keep momentum with Ampharos and Infernape. Crobat is also valuable for it's Ground immunity and it's Banded STAB boosted Brave Birds.

Late game sweeper: Cloyster

Cloyster (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Ice Shard

Just like Ampharos, Cloyster appreciates the U-turn (or in this case, Volt switch also applies) switch ins, as it can come in safely and keep its Focus Sash so it can Shell Smash freely, and it also appreciates a weakened team to start wrecking havoc. Cloyster can handle almost anything once it starts boosting, but it handles especially well Flying-types for Roserade, Infernape and Donphan (especially Gligar), Fire-types such as Arcanine or Chandelure (in case Infernape is gone) and Ground-types such as Nidoking who takes neutral damage from Leaf Storm. The set is pretty standard, with Rock Blast and Icicle Spear to work with Skill Link and Ice Shard as priority.

All in all, that's the team, and I think it's a pretty good one, probably one of the best I've made. Hope you guys enjoy it, and any feedback is welcome.

Killintime

Time not so well spent
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Whats good yo, saw your team and wanted to give you some advice regarding it. Volt-turn in general is a great play style that takes a lot out of the prediction game for you and forces most of it on the opponent, so running the optimal team mates and spreads can be helpful.

So first off you list your Cloyster as your late game sweeper; now in my opinion cloyster is underrated however not as as a late game sweeper, but rather as an early game breaker used to aid its partners:

Cloyster (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Hydro Pump
- Explosion

• Now looking at your team you carry a crobat and infernape both of which appreciate it when bulky waters are removed from the opponents side of the field. Hydro Pump>Rock Blast is due to the fact rock blast is redundant coverage for cloyster as anything rock hits for super effective damage, ice usually does so as well. With hydro pump you take care of the factor of fire types while also being able to heavily damage the steel types which hard wall your cloyster set such as doublade, cobalion, metagross, etc. The explosion on cloyster allows you to also remove bulky waters from the field or at least put them in range of your other attackers as very few mons appreciate eating a +2 explosion giving mons like scarf infernape on your team more space to drop damage.
-Next I realised your only switch in to entei was ampharos which isnt always going to megad leaving you quite open to sacred fire spam at earlier portions of the game so to try and mitigate this issue I made a set and mon change.
------>

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Scald

• Swampert still fills the role on your team as a rocker, volt switch blocker (a far better one might I add), and overall physical wall. Pert doesnt mind eating a burn as long as a game doesnt last too long as it can still rely on scald to deal damage to mons such as aero and entei while still capable of using roar to prevent itself from becoming setup fodder to mons such as gyarados. This change will allow you to keep a lot of the pressure off your team and allow you to safely get a mega off on ampharos later.
-With that you're probably going "well wait a minute what about hazard control?", well if we just switch your crobat set from banded to:

Crobat (M) @ Sky Plate
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

• With sky plate bat you gain an effective fighting type counter since youre able to roost after taking knock offs or constant fighting damage, while still posing as an effective offensive threat with the utility in hazard control. Sky plate still manages to dent almost everything banded does as well (since cross poison doesnt secure anything brave bird doesnt already anyways). The speed allows you to out speed timid whimsicott, but if you want to you can just run max to tie other crobats.
-Last change I want to make is if possible you should probably switch your mega ampharos to a defensive set:

Ampharos (M) @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

• Offensive ampharos is pretty bad in general this meta; its easily worn, slow as piss in a meta where mamoswine is considered slow as shit, and is weak to to the extremely common krook/sylveon archetype. Running a defensive set at least allows you to use it as a pivot and defensive backbone for your team that can pull unexpected momentum like a rug from under your opponents feet while still doing some great damage uninvested.
Hopefully these changes work out for you dude, I honestly wanted to make your infernape Thunder Punch>Earthquake but you're also pretty weak to chandelure and you honestly cant afford it to get any free hits on your team so youll have to settle on making sure gyra doesnt get any free setup on your team which isnt easy seeing as you have mega ampharos and swampert.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)