Mega Evolutions in XY UU

I really don't get the hype about Fire Blast on M-Houndoom. If you pick the right moment to switch in and get a NP and possibly a flash fire, like you should, you're perfectly able to sweep with Flamethrower, without the risk of missing.
Besides that, as Fire/Dark has no single-type blind spots, I'd rather pick HP Ice as my 4th move, as it has great 4x strenghts against some really bulky opponents and helps you OHKO a non-scarfed Hydreigon or Krookodile, that could otherwise force you to switch out and lose your boosts.

Gurbo

+3 252 SpA Mega Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 24+ SpD Florges: 291-343 (80.8 - 95.2%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+3 252 SpA Mega Houndoom Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 24+ SpD Florges: 237-280 (65.8 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+3 to signify Flash Fire Boost and the NP boost. You have a significant chance to OHKO Florges with Flash Fire, NP and SR.

Even a +4 Flamethrower is weaker than a +3 Fire Blast...

+4 252 SpA Mega Houndoom Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 24+ SpD Florges: 286-337 (79.4 - 93.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

So, yeah the Accuracy drop is worth it...

It's a great point, but in those cases, couldn't you just risk to boost again to have a certain kill instead of a random chance?
And I thought Flash fire + NP was equal to +4 (2x*1,5x)

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
It's a great point, but in those cases, couldn't you just risk to boost again to have a certain kill instead of a random chance?
And I thought Flash fire + NP was equal to +4 (2x*1,5x)
flash fire is just a +1 boost, and boosting isn't linear. it goes something like 1 --> 1 x 1.5 = 1.5 --> 1.5 x 1.33 = 2 --> 2 x 1.25 = 2.5 --> 2.5 x 1.2 = 3 --> 3 x 1.166 - 3.5 --> 3.5 x 1.1428 = 4

Wow, ty, as it was a separate ability I thought it would just multiply the result, as it states that it's a 1.5 damage boost to fire moves, not a 1 stage boost... damn you gamefreak.
So does it mean that there is a max of 7 stages for the fire moves with flash fire, or does it become useless if full boosted?
There's so much stuff I still need to learn >.<

I went to test this on Showdown, and it seems Flash Fire is actually a direct x1.5 rather than a +1:

+2 Flamethrower vs spdef Tentacruel: 30.5%
+2 Flash Fire Flamethrower vs spdef Tentacruel: 47.0%

If it was a +1, the flash fire calc would've been closer to 38%, so Gurbo is right, unless Showdown is wrong :<

(That said I still prefer fire blast lol)

I completely understand why you would pick Fire Blast... it's just that I want the risk being on my choices instead of the RNG.
And the Flash Fire thingy will have to get some more testing, then.

I believe Flash Fire IS a flat 50% boost to Fire-type moves. It works much the same as rain, sun, and Solar Power. Though Sun-boosted Fire-type attacks on a Solar Power attacker is REALLY crazy.

+3 252 SpA Mega Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 24+ SpD Florges: 291-343 (80.8 - 95.2%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+3 252 SpA Mega Houndoom Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 24+ SpD Florges: 237-280 (65.8 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+3 to signify Flash Fire Boost and the NP boost. You have a significant chance to OHKO Florges with Flash Fire, NP and SR.
+2 252 SpA Flash Fire Mega Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 24+ SpD Florges: 348-411 (96.6 - 114.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

Lol Rocks who needs em

So yeah, there is a significant power difference, meaning Flash Fire is an independent boost from Nasty Plot.

I have always thought it was a Showdown oversight that the Flash Fire boost is not removed upon Mega because unlike Lightningrod this isn't a straight stat upgrade but more like Unburden in which the boost isn't Baton Passed and is removed upon change of ability by the likes of Skill Swapping. Not sure about this tho :o

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)