ORAS OU Mega-Gardevoir OU offensive balance team

Hello all. This is my first RMT thread and i hope that im doing it right.

This team was built around using M-Gard as a special wall breaker and put a huge dent in my opponent's team so that they can later be swept or revenge killed with ease. M-gard has a huge problem with steel types, physical moves as well as priority in general. The team was built around reducing these weaknesses and abusing M-Gard’s high SpA stat using sticky web.

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Standard wall breaking set with a small twist. Shadow ball over taunt as i needed to reliably hit bulky psychic types that otherwise tank the rest of my team. Focus blast to be able to hit steel-types on the switch. Contemplating whether or not to remove FB for a support move like healing wish or will-o-wisp. Calm mind is NOT an option as i strongly feel M-gard should not be used that way as it lacks the bulk and/or speed to do so.

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Encore
- Infestation

To solve M-gard’s problem of base 100 speed, sticky web is the best choice. Under sticky web, M-gard is able to outspeed and dent most of the tier with a hyper voice. Chose shuckle over something more offensive like galvantula as i wanted the both a stealth rock and sticky web user. Was going back and forth between Def and SpD investment because my team has 2 intimidates and Def pivot but lacks strong SpD other than M-Gard and maybe manaphy.

Arcanine @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Def / 172 SpA
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower
- Snarl
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp

To solve M-gard’s other problem of getting destroyed by bullet punch or getting walled by ferrothorn, i chose arcanine. Also punishes any random physical hit with rocky helmet and morning sun sustain. The EV’s are specifically set to OHKO ferrothorn with flamethrower as most of them dont expect a special set as they think they would live a physical flare blitz. Intimidate + Snarl + Will-o-wisp weakens opposing teams allowing for my other pokemon to come in and set-up or get an easy switch in.

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Excadrill is mainly used to take on two categories of mons: Heatran and base speed 110+ immune to sticky web (Gengar, Lati-s, etc). So far while testing, FEW people expected it to be choice scarf allowing to knock out gengars, Lati’s and zapdos with relative ease. Also provides a poison immunity for M-gard as well as an electric immunity for the next 2 mons.

Salamence @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

The main sweeper of the team. Decided to go for Salamence because of its immunity to ground (Complements excadrill and shuckle) + Intimidate to further weaken the opponent’s physically and more set-up opportunities. Chose this over dragonite because i needed something to be able to hit decently hard outside of sticky web. Dragon claw > Outrage because i would rather have the ability to switch moves. EQ + fire blast for more steel hate.

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam

The special sweeper of the team. I needed a special wallbreaker/sweeper that could explode with the help of sticky web. It’s overall bulk + the intimidate support allows it to get a tail glow off with relative ease and from there on out its usually able to take on a good amount of an opponents team.

Ive tested the team a good 1-2 hours on a new account and laddered up to about 1400 in OU within about an hour and a half. The team was loads of fun to play, though i had many close calls where i would’ve lost if not due to hax. I feel that my team is decent but lacks the competitive edge to take out on the higher ladder. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Hello Akiyama111, nice team you've got there. I am glad Megardevoir gets some love as well :heart:

I am no master when it comes to team rating, or team building, however I think I could be of help as well.

First of all, I would suggest ditching Shadow Ball on Mega Gardevoir. Not being a STAB move, bulky Psychic types such as Mew still won't be 2HKO'ed by it.
I would suggest replacing it with Taunt, to shut down defensive cores in stall, or, if you want more firepower, you could go for Calm Mind, which works great in conjunction with Sticky Web, because at that point Mega Gardevoir outspeeds and KO's everything.

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 16 HP / 8 Def / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Taunt/Calm Mind

Next up, I would suggest replacing Arcanine, with another mon that's got basically the same role as him,
Stallonflame!

Apart from having priority Brave Bird to hit Mega Lopunny, Mega Medicham and Keldeo, which are all annoying to your team, it is also the bane of stall teams, with Will-O-Wisp, Roost, Bulk Up and Taunt in its repertoire.

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Bulk Up/Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Note: If you choose to run Taunt on your Mega Gardevoir, then use Bulk Up on Talonflame.
If you use Calm Mind on it though, use Taunt on Talonflame.

And at last, Salamence is a very, very mediocre mon in OU, because it is outclassed by other Dragon types in the tier, Dragonite to be precise.

I would replace it with the latter, since it has better bulk, a better ability and a handy move in Extremespeed, being able to outspeed choice scarf or other priority users.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

That's about it, have fun and good luck laddering!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)