ORAS OU Mega Latias & the Dark Checks

It has been a while since I was able to sit down and play Pokémon on the ladder. So I decided to build a new team and see how it works out.

Team Building Process

I haven't used Latias in a while so I thought "Should I build a Team which benefits having Latias around or a Team based on Latias".
I thought that is a good time to try out the new Mega Evolution of Latias so I choose it to be the main attention of the Team.

I realised that Dark Types and Fairies are going to be the main threats, so I added Scolipede which resists Fairy and hits Dark Types for Super Effective Damage with Mega Horn. In addition, SpeedPass can come in handy for Latias' Stored Power Set, saving me a little more time to set up.

I noticed that I have no reliable Dark Type resist and Knock Off is still a problem. Keldeo seemed like an excellent choice since it creates a lot of offensive pressure and allows me to get past centain defensive threats.

To deal with Bird Spam, I decided that Heatran seemed like a great pokemon for my fourth team slot. With its great bulk and Fire STAB, it deals with annoying things like Ferrothorn much better and is a reliable switch into obvious Dragon moves.

I found myself a lot of times facing Azumarill. Amoonguss seemed like a great choice since Grass Typing allows it to sponge Water STAB and Poison Typing with Fairy STAB.

Since I had one more slot left, I thought something with Dark Typing would create more offensive momentum. Hydreigon came to mind, since with its great coverage, Dark STAB and excellent Special Attack, it can break through some of the most annoying defensive 'mons in the tier.

The Team in detail

Latias (F) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Stored Power
- Roost
Calm Mind Mega Latias is pretty much self explanatory. I wanted to try out the Stored Power set everyone was constantly writting about so I choice it as my main attacking move.
I figured, Dark Typings will wall me nontheless but any damage is better than no damage, I choose to not run Substitute but instead an additional STAB move that hits Dark Types at the very least.
Roost is my choice of reliable recovery.

I choice to run a full defensive Calm Mind set, since I didn't find anything worth outspeeding and I wanted to see how it would work out with Scolipede who can provide Speed Boosts which gives me the option to outspeed relevant threats as well as increasing Stored Power's base power.

Scolipede @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Baton Pass
Scolipede's Purpose is to take care of Dark Types with Mega Horn and scare out Fairies. I was considering running an Iron Defense set to pass it to Latias, but I didn't see the need to run such set.
The advantage of potencially running a full Baton Pass set, gives me the possibility to lure Heatran's out and OHKO them with Earthquake.
Protect + Baton Pass is self explanitory.

Keldeo @ Expert Belt
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Calm Mind
- Icy Wind
I really can't figure out what set I should run on Keldeo. I wanted to try out something else, so I decided to go with Expert Belt Calm Mind which can benefit from Speed Boost Scolipede.
Since most Keldeo run Scarf, I can take advantage of that possibility to set up.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Protect
Heatran has key resistances that are required to set up rocks. Earth Power is useful against most opposing Heatran, that want to take a Flash Fire Boost.
Protect is for scouting and Leftover recovery.

Amoonguss @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore
- Foul Play
Fairy Types are suprisingly common at the low point of the ladder, I am currently, so I choice to go with Dual STAB for Amoonguss. Spore is pretty much manatory or else there is no reason to use it in the first place.
Since I had a slot free, I decided to put Foul Play on it.

Recommented by Disciple_1

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability : Intimidate
EVs : 252 Atk/ 32 Def /224 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-U-Turn
-Knock Off

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
I choose to run Choice Specs Modest Hydreigon, since I found myself that any little boost could have been useful to take down one pokemon (usually things like SpD Mew).
U-Turn is to mainly gain momentum and avoid to get into a 1vs1 with Azumarill which can potencially set up Belly Drum.

"Threats" or rather things that mess me up
At the moment, I was not able to figure out what threatens my team the most, excluding Mega Mence but I won't bother with that anymore.
Since it has been a while, I played on the ladder, I usually lost because of a lot of misspredictions.
Most at the time there is a Mega Mence in the opposing team and I just sack one pokemon after another so it can't safely come in and set up (which worked suprisingly most at the time o.o).

But in all seriousness, most at the time I find myself having Amoonguss being worn down easielly and I consider if Synthesis should be slammed over Foul Play.
Keldeo works on the other hand suprisingly good but I figured that Choice Scarf still could be more viable at the very least.

Last edited:
Cool team you've made.

However I see a huge weakness to CM Mega gardevoir. Psyshock takes out your scolipede, hyper voice takes out keldeo, Latias and hydreigon while focus blast KOs the heatran. I see your hydreigon doing nothing but adding to your weaknesses. How about changing it to a scarfed lando-t which can easily wipe out gardevoir moreover it gives you a reliable switch in to bird spam and gives u a fast revenge killer.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability : Intimidate
EVs : 252 Atk/ 32 Def /224 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-U-Turn
-Knock Off

This set gives you better defense while maintaining speed and attack. U Turn can give you better momentum than when used by hydreigon and Rock Slide over Stone Edge because it KOs Talonflame while.having good acc. Knock off is for the annoying latitwins

Hope I helped glhf playing.

I completely forgot about Mega Guardevoir. I switched out Hydreigon for Landorus-T like you recommented and it worked wonders. While I am still concerned about Mega Guardevoir (do those run Icy Wind?)
I guess I can somewhat play around them.

No, they don't run Icy Wind. But still poop on Landorus.
252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 276-325 (86.5 - 101.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
You have to be smart and switch on a focus blast or psyshock.

Th
No, they don't run Icy Wind. But still poop on Landorus.
252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 276-325 (86.5 - 101.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
You have to be smart and switch on a focus blast or psyshock.
True DeadlyRabbit but lando-t would be used more as a revenge sweeper and best switched in on birdspam. And no one in their right mind would attack gardevoir mega head on with lando-t, best use u-turn to get out when you think gardevoir is about to be switched in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)