ORAS OU Mega Manectric balanced offence -- 1580 peak so far.

Hi everyone, it's panther from showdown. As it's my goal to try and make every mega evolution work in OU, I've decided to build a team around Mega Manectric. It's always seemed very capable, with nice fire/electric/ice coverage, as well as a useful ability and a means to gain momentum (volt switch). The only thing dislike about it is its looks (seriously it looks like trigonometry homework). Without further ado, here's my team!

1. Mega Manectric.
-- Thunderbolt.
-- Flamethrower.
-- HP Ice.
-- Volt Switch.
IVs: 30 defense.
Item: Manectite; Ability before mega: Lightning rod; Ability after mega: Intimidate.
EVs and Nature: Timid nature with 252 speed, 252 special attack, and 4 special defense EVS.

While sporting a fairly unremarkable movepool, I feel that Manectric has just enough coverage to be viable. Looking at the EV spread, M-Manectric's bulk is poor, so investment to improve it is a waste in my opinion. Therefore, I decided to invest fully into special attack in order to maximize M-Manectric's damage output, as well as outpace as many threats as possible. A timid nature was chosen over modest in order to outpace threats like Weavile (assuming jolly, but who the hell runs adamant weavile?), speed tying with M-Loppuny, as well as outpacing things like timid Starmie. In my view, the ability to outpace threats like the ones previously mentioned is worth the opportunity cost: the lost damage from not running a modest nature. Finally, 30 defense IVs are used in order to run HP Ice, which is essential in my view on Manectric.

Looking at its moves, thunderbolt is there for reliable STAB and accuracy (70% accurate Thunder hype lmao); flamethrower is chosen to destroy Ferrathorn, M-Scizor, Jirachi and other steels, and is superior to overheat due to a combination of accuracy and the fact that you're not forced to switch after using it (due to the special attack drop). HP Ice is essential for taking on Garchomp, Landerous-T, Hippowdown and other fat grounds, and can OHKO most Garchomp/Landerous-T variants at <80% HP, but is sadly a 3HKO on Hippowdown. Volt switch is amazing in tandem with intimidate to not only weaken the attacks of the opponent, but also gain momentum, which is crucial for any offensive team, including mine.

2. Rotom Wash.
-- Volt Switch.
-- Will-O-Wisp.
-- Hydro Miss (I fucking hate this move).
-- Pain Split.
IVs: 0 attack.
Item: Leftovers; Ability: Levitate.
EVs and nature: Bold nature with 232 HP, 232 defense and 44 speed EVs.

The smogon laundromat makes its appearance. I wanted something that could form a volt swtich/U-turn core with M-Manectric, and had a tough choice between Landorus-T and Rotom. While both offer a ground immunity (which is useful on every team archetype), Rotom's ability to burn physical attacker, having unreliable recovery in pain split, and not crying every time it smells an ice-type attack, made me decide to add Rotom (seriously ice coverage is so common that the landorus cried every time).

The moves are pretty standard, with will-o-wisp being amazing due to its ability to wear down threats like M-Venusaur, as well as cripple any physical attackers. Volt switch is superior than thunderbolt, as it forms a momentum core with M-Manectric; hydro miss is there because it's the only STAB water-type attack (HP water hype lol) that Rotom has access to, even though it sucks in my view (I hate moves with <90% accuracy); and pain split is there to have some form of recovery (though unreliable). Looking at its EVs, 44 speed EVs allows it to outpace maximum speed Azumarill, with the rest of the EVs going into HP and defense in order to better check the likes of M-Pinsir and Talonflame. Finally, 0 attack IVs are there to minimize foul play damage.

3. Bisharp.
-- Sucker punch.
-- Pursuit.
-- Iron Head.
-- Knock Off.
Item: Assault vest; Ability: Defiant.
EVs and nature: Adamant nature with 252 attack, 160 HP and 92 speed EVs.

Bisharp is one of my favourite Pokemon to use on any offensive team: it has priority in sucker punch, STAB knock off, can crush fairies, and can pursuit trap -- all in one package. An assault vest is a little unconventional, but allows Bisharp to swap into a Lati@s draco meteor, take 40% from it, and then proceed to OHKO with Pursuit on the switch. I notice that most Lati@s, Celebis and Starmies tend to switch out on Bisharp, most likely fearing a sucker punch. I believe this is so because every Bisharp in OU has sucker punch, but only some have pursuit. Moving on, iron head is amazing for killing fairies like Cleftable and Syleon (the former of which is really annoying for this team); having knock off, the best move in the game, as STAB is an option that I had to use; pursuit is amazing for killing the Lati@s, Starmie, Celebi and Gengar on the switch; and sucker punch is an amazing move that allows Bisharp to pick off weaker, faster threats.

The given EV spread allows Bisharp to survive a draco meteor followed up by a -2 HP fire. Attack is maximized with an adamant nature and 252 EVs in order to ensure that Bisharp hits as hard as possible, and the speed EVs allows it to outpace max speed Azumarill. The remaining EVs are thrown into HP to maximize Bisharp's bulk.

4. Breloom.
-- Spore.
-- Substitute.
-- Facade.
-- Focus Punch.
Item: Toxic orb; Ability: Poison heal.
EVs and nature: Adamant nature with 252 attack, 252 speed and 4 special defense EVs.

I know that this set is a little unconventional, but I love using it and in my view, is just as good as your cookie cutter technician set. The ability for Breloom to incapacitate 1/6 of the opposing team is amazing in itself, but also having base 130 attack and nice coverage makes Breloom worth considering for every team. The idea behind this set is that you bring Breloom in on a volt switch onto a slower Pokemon, Spore it (or whatever switches in), setup a substitute, and then start firing off focus punches/facades. I chose to run facade over seed bomb for the ability to do 60% to Talonflame and Tornadus-T on the switch, facade has more power, and grass coverage is mediocre at best. Plus the ability to do more damage to M-Venusaur and flying-type switch ins is better than the occasional Quagsire OHKO. As well, ghosts aren't that common in OU anyways, and Gengar already resists seed bomb, and why would you ever stay in against a Gengar with Breloom?. Focus punch is amazing behind a sub, 2HKOing most of the metagame, while spore is there because it's spore, and substitute provides the means to use focus punch, and is therefore a must.

Looking at the EV spread, both an adamant and jolly nature are viable, but the loss of power from not running a life orb (for a technician set) means that an adamant nature is preferred; furthermore, a jolly nature doesn't really outpace much more than an adamant nature does. Breloom has crap bulk so the rest of the EVs go into speed, and 4 special defense EVs minimize entry hazard damage and provide the most overall effective bulk for Breloom. A toxic orb is amazing, because it allows Breloom to completely destroy Rotom, as well as switch into predicted Toxics. As well, it mitigates hazard damage and keeps Breloom healthy throughout the match.

5. Garchomp.
-- Stealth Rock.
-- Earthquake.
-- Fire Blast.
-- Dragon Tail.
Item: Rocky helmet; Ability: Rough skin.
EVs and nature: Impish nature with 252 HP, 92 special defense, and 160 defense EVs.

This thing looks constipated...

I'm sure you've seen this thing in at least 20% of your battles, and I wanted to use an alternative SR setter to be different, but at the end of the day, this thing is just too good and reliable to pass up. Garchomp is my lead in most cases to get rocks up as fast as possible. The moves are pretty standard, with STAB earthquake to crush Heatran, Bisharp and Jirachi. Fire blast is there in order to not be walled by Ferrathorn, Scizor and Skarmory (seeing how common this set is, it's not really a lure anymore). Dragon tail in conjunction with stealth rocks is great at wearing down the opponent and putting them in range of M-Manectric's attacks. Rocky helmet in tandem with rough skin is amazing to punish physical attackers, particularly U-turners like lando and scizor, which like to try and steal momentum from my team.

In terms of the EVs, 92 EVs are used in special defense instead of speed because jolly bisharp and breloom really aren't that much of an issue for this team from my experience, and the EVs in special defense allows it to survive an HP Ice from the likes of Thunderous, and in general allows it to take special hits better. The rest of the EVs are thrown into defense and HP to make Garchomp as physically bulky as possible, as to check Talonflame, Scizor and other threatening Pokemon easier.

6. Azumarill.
-- Waterfall.
-- Play Rough.
-- Aqua Jet.
-- Superpower.
Item: Choice band; Ability: Thick fat (ice types are 2threatening5me, jk guys it's huge power).
EVs and Nature: Adamant nature with 252 attack, 88 speed, and 164 HP EVs.

God damn, how can such a cute Easter egg be so deadly. I remember that the first time I played an OU battle (in January) when my friend wanted me to battle him, I was swept 6-0 by a belly drum Azumarill, because a few months ago I thought that if a Pokemon looks cute, it's harmless. Anyways, this team is fairly weak to stall, and as such I needed a strong wallbreaker to deal with this. I prefer Azumarill over Kyurum-B, as it doesn't have a SR weakness, has more straightforward coverage, and has a better defensive typing. The first three moves are self-explanatory: Waterfall and play rough are powerful STAB attacks with great coverage, allowing it to 2HKO most Pokemon hit neutrally, and aqua jet is used to not be helpless vs. offense and brings priority which my team lacks. In the last slot, while the utility of knock off is nice, the ability to smash Ferrathorn on the switch is better for this team, as it lacks a means other than garchomp to properly handle it.

In all cases when using Azumarill, attack is maximized as to get the most benefit from huge power. 60 speed EVs allows it to outpace Pokemon such as Cleftable, as well as other uninvested base 60 speed Pokemon. The rest of the EVs are thrown into HP to allows Azumarill more switch-in opportunities, as it grants it as much bulk as possible.

Major Threats:

This smug bastard is really hard to handle. Bisharp can take a LS and do ~60-70% with sucker punch back, but gets KOd. I then bring in Manectric to finish the job with Flamethrower. This thing is still, however, very threatening to this team.

While not as directly threatening as Serperior, it completely walls Garchomp, M-Manectric and Bisharp. Rotom and Breloom can deal with it, but the former takes chip damage (which Rotom hates) and ones that carry toxic can cripple it. If Breloom is down, this thing is a problem.

Man this thing is scary, particularly scarfed versions. It completely destroys Bisharp, Rotom and M-Manectric with earth power, and Breloom and Garchomp with ice beam. My only real check is Azumarill, but if it has been weakened, this thing can prove to be a huge problem.

That's my team! Any feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading and have a nice day!

Last edited:
hi this is a pretty fine team overall, but you've got an unhealthy weakness to Mega Venusaur and Serperior as you mentioned, and you're Stall matchup is quite frankly pretty bad even with PHeal Breloom. An easy fix to this is to run LO + Taunt Tornauds-T > Rotom-W. Rotom-W has several positive qualities, the most striking being able to work as a stop to Excadrill, but in my next change I'll address this issue. Tornadus-T gives you a powerful wall and stallbreaker through it's movepool whilst improving your matchup against Grass-types and allow you to pick off slower Kyurem-B with Superpower and weaken Hippowdon.
Tornadus-T @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Superpower
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Taunt

Since you became weaker to Sand, you could use Defensive Landorus-T > TankChomp since they perform similar roles, although Landorus-T does it a lot better in today's metagame. You should specifically run the SD variant since it's helpful in breaking down fatter builds that offensive builds have trouble getting through. However this is a very optional suggestion as you could alternatively use U-Turn in the final slot to complete the VolTurn core with Mega Manectric if you so desire.
Landorus-T @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 240 HP / 232 Def / 32 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance / U-Turn

With the adoption of Taunt Tornadus-T, your stall matchup improves dramatically which gives Breloom more flexibility. At this point simple Fist Plate + Technician > Poison Heal is more optimal since it gives you a more solid and reliable cleaner / sweeper rather than entirely relying on Mega Manectric and it allows you to more reliably threatening Dark-types, especially Bisharp who can really threaten this build with dual Intimidate. It also allows you to pick off weakened Kyurem-B and actually beat Hippowdon. AV Bisharp is seriously lackluster in the metagame as if doesn't let it use SD and it's bulk is still keeps you wanting more than it offers. If you want bulk you can simply run AV Metagross > AV Bisharp with ease and actually have a check to Fairy-types. It also offers valuable priority in Bullet Punch, which lets you pick off Mega Diancie and other weakened or frail threats. It maintains an aspect of Pursuit Trapping which is excellent support for Mega Manectric and Breloom. Finally I recommend you use an EV spread of 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe on Azumarill. It's one I prefer that allows it to outrun Scizor so you can Aqua Jet before it Bullet Punches.
Breloom @ Fist Plate
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore
- Swords Dance

Metagross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Pursuit

hope these suggestions help!

Reactions: Sun
Hi, I notice that your team is really Kyu-B bait with Rotom-W, FatChomp, Azumarill and Mega Manectric all losing 1 v 1 against it. Plus, your Breloom don't even have Mach Punch so Kyu-B defeats it as well.

First thing I would do is to use AV Metagross over AV Bisharp. Metagross is much bulkier than Bisharp and is able to patch up your problems to Lati@s, Weavile and Fairies all in one package. Plus, it has priority Bullet Punch and can Pursuit Psychics.

Metagross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Pursuit

Secondly, I would use LO on Breloom and change the Ability to Technician. This allows you to have a good partner to Mega Manectric to clean up with priority, KO Bisharp and Kyu-B plus destroy fat Ground-types.

Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb
- Spore

Thirdly, I would replace Rotom-W with NP Thundurus-I because it can help to overwhelm Grass-types which wall Mega Manectric while not being Kyu-B bait as it can KO it with Focus Blast. LO is chosen over Leftovers because it allows you to KO Kyu-B without hazards.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Flying
- Focus Blast

Finally, you can change the EVs on your Garchomp to 252 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe as this allows it to take Special hits better. Run Toxic > Fire Blast as with 2 Elecs you don't need coverage against Steels. It helps against Hippo and Quagsire.

Serperior is a really serious threat though as only AV Metagross can take hits from it. However, most Pokemon of this team except Azumarill punishes it pretty hard if it fails to KO. Still, play carefully around it. If you want more insurance, use Torn-T as Magic suggested (leaves you a bit weaker to Kyu-B).

Last edited:
This team is gay. (Panther knows, it's an inside joke. Not meaning to be mean or anything or the sort)
I'm actually making a counter team RN to blow you back
Dude you should edit this before you get an infraction. While it may be a joke between us, colorful language may not come across as a joke to others.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)