Mega REvolution Poll

How many Megas should be allowed per team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

EV

Banned deucer.
In this thread, you may discuss how many Megas you think should be allowed per team. I'm doing this now since the OM is still so new instead of waiting for it to get settled. I'd rather we find a happy spot earlier rather than later.

This is not the place to discuss coding/HP issues. Do that in the main thread if you must.

I'll close the thread when the poll self-destructs (3 days) or after it becomes obvious which choice is preferred but in no less than 24 hours.

I'm not gonna vote yet but I will start discussion.

So basically this is a meta that promotes weird combinations of stones and pokemon and most pokemon arent powerful enough to take down a mega with a perfect movepool. so were gonna want to be able to use more than one mega.

however there arent that many megas so Im not sure if allowing six would be a good idea.

I propose the following: either allow four megas OR six megas but make it an ubers meta(with certain mons that prove too stronk banned)

I personally think two megas per team would be neat, as it allows for people to experiment with a lot of different pokemon. After all, one of the biggest ideas of the metagame is diversification, and creativity, so this would definitely help support that without the meta being too powerful.

DoW

formally Death on Wings
Hmm... I'm not sure more than one mevo would be as fun, I think having to work with one and support it adds more stratagy to the game, and having to choose between an offensive, defensive or supportive mega could make teambuilding more interesting.

That said, how will the results of the poll be collected? I can see a problem in that right now 44% of the vote is for only one, putting it in the lead by far, and yet the majority of people have voted for the restriction of one to be lifted to some extent.

I voted for two simply because of how many options are out there, but more importantly you either don't know or you know instantly. This is a problem imo, it takes away a layer of what would make it fun; for example, when you see a shitmon like Scraggy or something, you instantly know that it's going to be the mega. Having two would remove this and allow it to be a much more functional and diverse metagame. Just a thought.

I voted for two simply because of how many options are out there, but more importantly you either don't know or you know instantly. This is a problem imo, it takes away a layer of what would make it fun; for example, when you see a shitmon like Scraggy or something, you instantly know that it's going to be the mega. Having two would remove this and allow it to be a much more functional and diverse metagame. Just a thought.
Even if we allow more than 1 mega evolution per team, you still know that a shitmon like Scrafty is going to be a mega. I haven't decided what I support yet. If we allow only one MEvo per team, then that MEvo is going to be so much more powerful than the rest of the team. I think it could be a problem to have one Pokemon on the team dominate so much like that. If we allow all 6 Pokemon to be MEvos, then there isn't much of a reason not to have every Pokemon on your team be a MEvo, and the pool of viable Pokemon really shrinks.

Edit: If I counted correctly, there are 34 OU legal MEvos without an -ate ability. Some of those probably won't be viable in this meta, so if we allowed 6 MEvos, you would basically have those < 34 choices for your team and then you would pick base forms for each of those megas depending on their HP, movepools, and base form ability. I don't know if diversity would be an issue or not if we allowed 6 MEvos because each MEvo could have multiple viable base forms which give it different strengths. I'm leaning towards wanting more than one MEvo because allowing just 1 MEvo makes this meta seem like OU team + one overpowered MEvo. Allowing every Pokemon to go mega would allow for more creativity and unpredictability, but that unpredictability might be bad from a competitive standpoint since Team Preview doesn't mean much when those 6 Pokemon could Mega Evolve into almost anything.

Last edited:
I'd personaly find 3 to be most intresting just for the wild card potential.
But 2 might work the best honestly, cause powerful move pool to any mega to abuse at full potential is gonna need some mega countering

Voting 2.

It would be pretty lame if you switch your Mandibuzz into something like a Donphan and it gets OHKO'd by LO Head Smash with a crit after rocks. Then you're just playing OU again.

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I voted for 3 because 3 seems fair....one mega is making the meta a bit boring while with 6 megas, people would leave out a bunch of pokemon (Non Megas in particular). Also it's neat with half your team eligible to mega evolve.

EV

Banned deucer.
Voting 2.

It would be pretty lame if you switch your Mandibuzz into something like a Donphan and it gets OHKO'd by LO Head Smash with a crit after rocks. Then you're just playing OU again.
Keep in mind you can carry more than one stone like in OU. If your Mandi/Aggron gets oopsie KO'd, have a Reuniclus/Medicham waiting in the wings. You just can't MEvolve more than one per match with rule #1.

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Voting 2.

One Mega Evolution would make it be OU with little difference. Mostly since there was always only one Pokemon that could mega evolve per battle.

i tried to vote 3 but clicked 6 sorry guys
imo we do runoff voting so that we don't alienate the >50% of people who want multiple megas

Keep in mind you can carry more than one stone like in OU. If your Mandi/Aggron gets oopsie KO'd, have a Reuniclus/Medicham waiting in the wings. You just can't MEvolve more than one per match with rule #1.
In OU, it is generally a bad idea to have two Pokemon holding mega stones because the Pokemon that doesn't mega evolve is wasting its item slot and most Pokemon that mega evolve have bad base forms. In this meta, people will be using sets which are not viable unless the Pokemon actually mega evolves. If the limit is one mega evolution per game, then having two Pokemon with mega stones may provide you with the small advantage of being able to choose which Pokemon you want to mega evolve, but the drawback is that the Pokemon you don't mega evolve is going to be almost completely useless making it a 5 vs. 6 battle. I don't think it is a worthwhile trade.

Looking at the poll, a strong majority of people want to allow more than one Pokemon to mega evolve per team. We should either have a run-off or just go with 2 as a compromise and see how it plays out.

EV

Banned deucer.
I'll decide about a run-off when I see the results at the close of the poll.

Red Cat I see your point about wasted items, but I feel like the cost of losing a mega on accident is too great NOT to have an extra waiting. My Reuniclus/Megacham example isn't very solid tbh. Reuniclus would obviously have physical moves in that case and you're right, it would be deadweight if it couldn't mega evolve. However, considering how strong the megas can be in this OM versus standard OU megas, it's in your favor to be prepared. Should your opponent MEvolve and your only Pokemon holding a mega stone has fainted, it's probably game over. I'd rather "pay" to have a weaker set with a mega stone than to have 5 fully functional Pokemon and a fainted Pokemon that never got to MEvolve.

I'll decide about a run-off when I see the results at the close of the poll.

Red Cat I see your point about wasted items, but I feel like the cost of losing a mega on accident is too great NOT to have an extra waiting. My Reuniclus/Megacham example isn't very solid tbh. Reuniclus would obviously have physical moves in that case and you're right, it would be deadweight if it couldn't mega evolve. However, considering how strong the megas can be in this OM versus standard OU megas, it's in your favor to be prepared. Should your opponent MEvolve and your only Pokemon holding a mega stone has fainted, it's probably game over. I'd rather "pay" to have a weaker set with a mega stone than to have 5 fully functional Pokemon and a fainted Pokemon that never got to MEvolve.
I see your point. Given how much more powerful megas will probably be in this meta compared to non-megas, it might be worth it to have a backup plan just in case a Pokemon holding a mega stone faints. Although, a good player shouldn't lose his mega "on accident". Switching in your mega to tank an attack is usually a bad idea in OU, and obviously even worse in this meta. I predict that most MEvos in this meta will be set-up sweepers, so good players will try to bring them in safely into good match-ups. If we allow only one Pokemon to mega evolve, I think I'd rather have a pivot to help my mega get in safely than a backup Pokemon which could potentially be set-up bait for my opponent. Also, if you do mega evolve one of your Pokemon and it faints, then you're really screwed as your only MEvo is dead and you also have a useless Pokemon on your team. Slapping mega stones on other Pokemon is a problem when there are other roles which need to be filled (I think having multiple revenge killers is going to be very important in this meta because of the potential set-up sweepers). I think many people who have voted here voted for allowing more than one Pokemon to mega evolve because the battle won't completely revolve around just one of your Pokemon then.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Why not use 6 megas per team? In a meta where the point is make crazy good mons using whatever mega stones you want, there are obviously going to be tons of ideas, and having to make a new team just to test one new idea is going to force people to put in tons of time to get what they want out of the meta.

xJownage

6 is winning...close the thread pls. kthnxbye. jk.

Huh, the premise of the OM is that any Pokemon can utilize any mega stone. Not sure why you're bringing up an additional change in mechanics by removing the one mega evolution limitation.
Because of just that; its the purpose of the OM. Just one would make it not that much different from OU, since its literally just 1 mon gets a customizable movepool and a hidable mega evolution.

Your opponent having one mega that you don't know is bad enough. Actually, let me rephrase that. Your opponent having one mega that you don't know is what will make this interesting. Your opponent having six megas that you don't know about until each mega evolve is just horrible.

Reactions: DoW

xJownage

Your opponent having one mega that you don't know is bad enough.
Unpredictability is the name of the game, so thats why having the best catch-all mega is so important and becomes the challenge of the metagame. There are so many ideas, there won't be a single catch all (chansey for Special Attackers) for all the threats. It becomes customizable. Having multiple roles with these megas can allow you to use a lot of things that normally wouldn't even be viable because of all the overpowered shit that will be in this meta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)