ORAS OU Mega Slowbro Team GXE 72.7% (1428 for now)

Hi guys. I never played Pokémon competitively, but I tried to build a team around Mega Slowbro and I would like to improve it. I’ve played for a couple of hours and I have reached 1428 points in ELO. I know it's like nothing for more expert players, so I would like to do better, and that's why I'm here.

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

It’s the classic Calm Mind set, nothing fancy. I liked the idea of making a bulky team, where every member had somewhat high defense and/or special defense, as well as a form of recovery. Slowmbro is pretty easy to use, you just need to take care of his counters and make sure he’s not statused. The whole point of the team would be to make sure his threats are checked.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 84 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

Celebi has good synergy with Slowbro, he shuts down Breloom, he absorb status for the team and cripples switch-ins, which is especially helpful since half of my team is slow as hell. He and Slowbro are the core of the team, and even though they share the same weaknesses as Psychic types, they have a good synergy together.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 60 SpD / 124 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

I like Multiscale, but without Wish support it’s a one-time use only ability, so that’s why I picked up Roost. I thought I needed a setup that functioned without Celebi’s support, so I thought to use Substitute. It’s pretty hard to make it work, because as long as the opponent has Steel and Fairy types, I know I basically can’t use it at all, but when they’re out, he is threating.

Darmanitan @ Choice Band
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Darmanitan deals with Steel and Fairy types for Dragonite. I don’t really like Scarfed Pokémon, to be honest, but I felt like I needed firepower, and since I needed a Fire-type Pokémon I chose him. I’m not really sure whether or not I should prefer Choice Scarf of Choice Band, but the team doesn’t have any wall-breakers and I wouldn’t have scored many OHKOS without it, so I guess I need to balance Darmanitan’s longevity with on-game tactics and better planning…?

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic

Excadril is needed since I use Dragonite. He is quite bulky, and people don't expect it, so I can't be a bit reckless and throw him against an uneven matchup if the conditions are right. I remember using him with Gengar once (before trying Keldeo), since I didn't have a direct counter for it (actually this team still doesn't). With Toxic, the only thing I really lack is Will-O-Wisp, which at times I feel like I need, but since I have good walls it puts a lot of pressure to the opponent - especially against Landorus-T and the likes.

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Before using him, I tried Zapdos, but I had serious trouble dealing with the likes of Weavile and Bisharp, so since Zapdos wasn’t helpful I changed him with Keldeo. He might not be the definition of bulky, but can survive an attack and hit back, so now rather than just giving up the match I can at least try to fight back. I guess his slot is the one I'm most unsure of, since I think the rest of the team makes sense somehow.

Sorry for the lack of detail (like with calculation and percentages), I hope players more experienced than me will be able to tell where this team is lacking.

hi, welcome to mons

the first thing i wanna say is that there is a ton of pressure on keldeo to check dark types like bisharp and weavile for your team. they basically rip it apart once keldeo goes down. you might want to consider running a Rest / Sleep Talk Life Orb Keldeo > Four Attacks Life Orb Keldeo. Those dark types are really quite strong in ou at the moment, and so all teams need reliable checks to them. It'll also help you somewhat with mega scizor, another big threat.

next up is darmanitan. darmanitan isn't the most viable of ou pokemon, it's frail and not that fast as well as not really having many options in terms of variable sets. since you still need more to deal with bisharp, i recommend Hippowdon > Darmanitan. This gives you a solid defensive backbone with slowbro and celebi as well as a sand setter for my next suggestion, which is Sand Rush Life Orb Excadrill > Specially Defensive Excadrill. You still get a spinner while also having really nice offensive presence and a much more viable set overall. rapid spin or other hazard removal is pretty essential to balance (the playstyle you've kinda chosen here) because otherwise they get quickly worn down by spikes and toxic spikes.

ok so your team is coming along but it's kinda weak to serperior and scizor. your dragonite set is also kinda suboptimal so you can try Specially Defensive Talonflame > Dragonite. You also get a nice secondary wincon out of bulk up and it improves your matchup with gengar. the priority is also wonderful, and though it's not strong can help you pick off some weakened threats.

I'll post an importable of the finished team below. enjoy!

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 84 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Bulk Up

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind
- Stone Edge

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)