Melee Thread (TOURNAMENT SPOILERS TO BE EXPECTED)

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm wondering is how the fuck did Mang0 not scratch top 8?, let alone top 16. Oh & if M2K loses, my god. Are any other gods in this tourney as well?

Epikhairz

Anything goes
tafo said on twitter that mango was drunk, and foundry does have a bar, so its likely. either way he was playing super sloppy and on hyper autopilot (he played the peach matchup way too aggro when he shouldve been more laser campy as he says so himself). and of course MacD and DruggedFox were playing out of their minds

other gods are:

hbox and leffen sittin pretty in winners
mew2king in losers top 8 (sent to losers by colbol)

leffen is sick, mango was drunk, HBox broke his controller, m2k has no motivation and was playing pretty sloppy earlier on - however, his marth ditto was very clean vs PPU and his set vs. hugs was good

surprised that HugS, MacD, and Plup are all out before top 8. also had to double check that Westballz didn't get knocked out before I remembered he's playing in DH

for those of you just tuning in, top 8 is:

Colbol vs. HBox
Leffen vs. SilentWolf

DruggedFox vs. Shroomed
SFAT vs. Mew2King

i think HBox has the best chance at taking the tournament out of the three top 6 players here, but if M2K can pull it together in these last few sets then he could do it too, especially considering how he managed to beat HBox at Paragon. obviously never wise to count Leffen out either, but he's been playing sloppy both on and off stream according to his twitter

Stratos

Banned deucer.
leffen's twitter is always super negative though...i didn't see him or hbox on stream like at all so i couldn't tell you how theyve been playing, but yung leff's twitter is a poor indication

MEW2KING KNOCKED OUT BY SILENTWOLF

THIS GUY IS PLAYING OUT OF HIS MIND

and yeah, M2K was kinda sloppy but silentwolf's combos were crazy clean

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
PPMD isn't in good health and Leffen was denied entry. On the upside, everyone's favourite musician Tyler Joseph will be in attendance!! :mad:

why was leffen denied entrance?
anyone have advice on the fox shiek matchup for fox, or know where i can find a good guide?

anyone have advice on the fox shiek matchup for fox, or know where i can find a good guide?
Have a strong dashdance game and try to bait a dash attack or grab and respond with shine or grab of your own. Do your best to not get grabbed. Shield pressure with multishine/drillshine is strong but be careful with her nair oos

it's apparently very difficult to gain repeated entry to the US if you're going in, making money, and leaving the country - something about Leffen being sponsored by TSM to fly into the US specifically to make money didn't go so well and leffen was flat-out denied entry

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
why was leffen denied entrance?
he's sponsored and paid by an American company to come into America and make money from tournaments. This doesn't fly to well with the people in charge and he will be continue to be denied entrance into the country until he gets a Work Visa, which he should be able to obtain. This isn't the first time a professional gamer has had to get one, and i'm sure it won't be the last smasher either (specifically zero comes to mind as he is also sponsored by an American company)

Epikhairz

Anything goes
let's talk smash summit, as nominations approach its final few phases. who do you want to see get in?

for me its just so tough now because everyone has decent enough reasons to go. if i needed to cut a few people i would sadly cut ken (worse than the rest imo) or swedish delight (not much of a presence online so i dont really know much about him - he is good tho)

i actually didnt want to see kage get in, as selfish as that sounds, because he's a ganon who will just get bopped endlessly throughout the event. same with alex19 to an extent, but at least the guy is a character and provides good entertainment with norwalk crew.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Pretty much exact same thoughts here. I'd cut Ken and Alex19 because the gap between their skill level and the rest of the players in there is pretty big. I personally don't like Swedish Delight tbh and we already have like 3 good Sheiks that aren't boring. Kage probably only got in because of melee hell.

I want df/shroomed/tekk/sfat/s2j to be the 6 for summit but now with kage and fucking alex19 in 2 of them gotta dip and it's probably gonna be tekk and sfat sadly

i live in jersey and actually go to school with swedish so i'd really like to see him get in, mainly because the tristate needs some representation. he's also a genuinely good guy and really wants to play against the best players, and to rep his region. he's donating all of his winnings (if any) to a local nonprofit in NJ that helps kids with blood problems (sickle cell, etc)

personal stuff aside, i'd love to see S2J / Shroomed / Ken make it. druggedfox has a pretty solid lead in 1st right now, and i'm fine with that too

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Really hope Tekk makes it. Puff is fairly under-represented at the top level of Melee outside of HBox, and Tekk has a pretty sick style with his use of shield drops into Rest set-ups. He also hasn't competed internationally to my knowledge, so it'd be neat to see how he stacks up against most of the ranked players.

tekk also isn't very good and would get bopped, according to leffen

i'd like to see swedish since i think he is on the cusp of becoming a top 20 player. he's taken down some top players like westballz, consistently beats the lower tier dudes like dj nintendo, and beats the mid tier dudes like the moon more than half of the time.

i dont like seeing kage. he's gonna get bopped.

i like seeing alex19 since i feel he can get a lot better, but i also feel like a hypocrite b/c he's gonna get bopped way harder than swedish

Epikhairz

Anything goes
damn wtf why is shroomed in such great danger of elimination?? i would say of the players left that he is arguably the best player. sfat is close, but shroomed does better at the important supermajors.

i think my list of remaining players left that i want would be druggedfox/sfat/s2j/shroomed

i also want tekk in for that janky euro puff hype, but its gonna take a lot of work from EU and other tekk fans to get him in over players like Ken, who has MH on his side, and S2J who is being backed by mangonation (though i do want to see S2J in as well). tekk has beaten zhu and gotten very close to beating westballz iirc, but if we're comparing him to leffen-tier players then yeah he doesn't stand a chance :/

also kinda funny that while other players have been working super hard campaigning, S2J is the only one who has done literally no campaigning in a public manner, yet he's still pretty much a shoe-in imo (at least i hope so lol)

with only 4 slots left, pretty much every elimination phase is going to be upsetting, especially with two players that i wouldve cut making it in due to MH and mangonation lol. also im somewhat ticked that they got in over ice who i thought was a shoe-in given his substantial lead in the early phases

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Fucking hell. a bad player and a ganon make it cuz memes/sucking mango's dick and actual good players are left out. The worst of 3 sheik mains makes it in, too.

fuck.

So, Canada Cup 2015, a popular FGC tour featuring the likes of tekken, sf, etc. just finished the melee tour featuring the likes of players such as The Moon, DJ Nintendo, KirbyKaze Toph, Duck, and EG|PPMD. Needless to say, PeePee managed to take the gold against Duck, with 3rd place being occupied by DJ Nintendo.

Bracket: http://challonge.com/es/CC2015_SSBM_Top32

(sm4sh top 8 tomorrow; expecting ally to win

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)