move 2: Sleep Talk
move 3: Ice Beam/ Thunderbolt
move 4: Grass Knot/ Psychic
nature: Modest/ Timid
item: Life Orb/ Leftovers
ability: Levitate
evs: 252 SpA/ 252 Spd/ 4 HP

3 reasons why this set deserves to be posted:

-can be a good threat to OU Pokemon if paired with the right moves.
-a bulky Pokemon even without Defense EV investments.
-Life Orb for easier sweeping and Leftovers to provide more bulk.

3 Comments:

-Ice Beam for Gliscor, Celebi and Breloom, and Thunderbolt for Kingdra, Togekiss and Gyarados.
-Grass Knot for Empoleon, Starmie and Swampert, and Psychic for Machamp and Infernape.
-Modest for immediate power and Timid for faster foes.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
In general, RestTalk with two attacking moves is bad. Give Mesprit something productive for the team in its second attacking slot!

A general rule of thumb for RestTalk Pokemon is that they need to be able to do something when Sleep Talking. Two relatively weak attacking moves just screams for any of the dozens of setup OU sweepers to come in and do dirty things to your team. Check out the RestTalk sets for Snorlax in the proposed update or Gyarados and you'll notice that Whirlwind and Roar, respectively, are used to prevent opposing setup and rack up entry hazard damage. You could also manage this with a setup move of your own, to make your Pokemon more threatening with its immense durability (thanks to RestTalk).

Notice how Mesprit has none of these things. It is for that reason that I do not think that this set should be approved. RestTalk is something that any Pokemon can do, sure, but that very few can do well.

I agree with Rising_Dusk about Mesprit not having the assets to be effective, though this is poorly elaborated on. Maybe you could provide some logs of the set in action? It's not particularly bulky with those EVs and is generally fodder for set-up. If it's asleep then it has a 2/3 chance of picking the wrong move.

The set it self is a bit weird. It uses an offensive EV spread, nature, LO which is kinda contradictory with Rest + Sleep Talk. Idk I feel like it's not achieving anything at all mainly because it is mediocre both offensively and defensively. Offensively, it is easily walled because you can only use two attacking moves. Defensively, it is not durable enough to take hits especially with that nasty Pursuit and weakness to Bug- type moves. It can also be set-up on fairly easily so I honestly don't think this is worth getting it's own analysis.

Windsong

stumbling down elysian fields
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Kind of elaborating on what Rising Dusk said, you both don't have the ability to wall anything really well with the offensive EVspread and Life Orb, and you become setup bait for some of the most threatening bulky sweepers in the tier, like WishCM Jirachi, Offensive CM Suicune, ChestoRest DD Kingdra, Snorlax, etc. Since you can't set up anything yourself, and can only hit back with sub par unSTABbed offensive attacks, it's just not worth it to use this over something with stronger attacks and / or the ability to set up.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Uhhh, this is really weird, trying to combine an offensive set with resttalk...I can't really see it working that well. As a resttalker Cresselia probably outclasses this. I can't really see Mespirit comfortably living through that many unresisted attacks with the given EVs. On top of this Mespirit really needs at least 3 offensive moves to be effective in my personal opinion; Psychic Thunderbolt and Ice Beam.

Sorry this gets a no from me.

QC Rejected (1/3)

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't like the premise of this set, and I really doubt its effectiveness. The main problem that I see is that you're opening the room for several Pokemon to set up, like CMJirachi, CM Suicune, DD Tyranitar, Snorlax, etc. The EVs look very weird as well... geared toward the offensive side while having Rest and Sleep Talk as the main moves is not good.

QC REJECTED (2/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)