Battle Spot Metagross and Tapu Lele core

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a team, based off a Smogon set, that utilizes Metagross-Mega and Tapu Lele. Please rate it and let me know what you think! The team is in this Pokepaste.

http://pokepast.es/9d68b4610292122d

[Roles]

Metagross-Mega

The Pokémon that this team was built around. It provides excellent support over many types with crazy Attack stat. Iron Head provides a strong physical move to deal with Kangaskhan, Porygon2, and many other threatening Pokémon, with a good chance of flinching!

Zen Headbutt provides STAB and a chance of flinching and is overall the best choice for Metagross.

Ice Punch is a great choice to deal with Landorus-T who enjoys Earthquake. Scarf'd Lando isn't as much of a threat in Doubles, since they usually lock-in Rock Slide, although Landorus can still be a pain.

-1 252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus-Therian: 180-212 (109.7 - 129.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Threats:

Aegislash with Shadow Ball can be dangerous for Metagross, especially when it doesn't have a counter for Aegislash. Heatran or Hydregion are a good support when Aegislash comes out.

[252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 156-186 (100 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO] not incl. stat changes [Doubles Wide Guard Aegislash]

Tapu Lele

Another one of the Pokémon that this team was built around.

Moonblast threatens Kommo-o and Fighting-types (4x Kommo-o!) and is a primarily strong STAB move that can 2HKO even non-supereffective opponents. It's a guarenteed OHKO against Kommo-o.

Taunt is used primarily to prevent setups like Calm Mind or Trick Room, since this team can suffer a little from that.

Psychic is another obvious choice for Fighting-types, with STAB!

Threats:

Aegislash is a huge threat, because Tapu Lele does not take Shadow Ball or Flash Cannon well.

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Lele: 150-176 (102.7 - 120.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

An Aegislash would most likely constitute a switch. Gengar isn't as bad, since Tapu Lele generally outspeeds it and can nab it with a Psychic Terrain boosted Psychic attack or even Z-Psychic.

Landorus-T

Landorus-T is one of the best Pokémon in BSD, and a staple in most teams!

The set I used is a standard Choice Scarf set. U-turn would most likely be used if Rock Slide or Earthquake aren't good options (especially at the cost of hurting my ally!) and I would wait before sending Lando out again.

Threats:

Ice-type moves are 4x effective, so there are many different threatening Pokémon. Mega Salamence Ice Fang, Mega Metagross Ice Punch, Kangaskhan Ice Punch, Suicune Ice Beam, etc. are all huge risks. Most can easily be countered with clever switching and protecting.

[-1 252+ Atk Parental Bond Kangaskhan-Mega Ice Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus-Therian: 170-200 (103 - 121.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO] Even without STAB, Landorus still dies. :(

Zapdos

Electric birb! It's a great Tailwind setter that can provide coverage with Electric- and Fire-type moves. It can be bulky enough to last through attacks, although it doesn't have any Protect, so it relies on Roost and its Wiki Berry.

Threats:

Ice- and Rock-type moves make Zapdos cry. It's bulky enough to survive non-STAB Ice/Rock moves but can't last long if its continually beaten like that.

Incineroar

Incineroar used to be useless, until Intimidate came along. Now it is #4 most used in BSD.

It features Fake Out to get a good start, and Flare Blitz for STAB. Knock Off to get rid of Pesky berries and deal with Cresselia and other Psychics. Low Kick deals with the heavy boys (Snorlax, anyone?).

Threats:

Water-types, Ground-types, Rock-types. It has fairly good bulk so it shouldn't be hurt that much, although it needs to use Protect in risks.

Gastrodon-East

Gastrodon absorbs Water-type moves quite well with Storm Drain, giving Heatran decent support.

It can use Ice Beam to counter Dragons as a last resort if all other possibilities are gone. Earth Power hurts the Fire-types. Scald also douses the flame.

It recovers with its Berry to stay a little longer. Maybe can you help me find a move to replace with Recover?

Threats:

4x weak to Grass, so Ferrothorn's Power Whip is an issue. Other than that, it's pretty resilient.

76 Atk Ferrothorn Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Gastrodon: 376-448 (172.4 - 205.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

A huge issue. There is no chance of surviving that powerful whip!

Gastrodon could kill Ferrothorn, with a wimpy Earth Power. It won't do anything unless Power Whip misses 5 times in a row (unlikely.)

[252+ SpA Gastrodon Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 148 SpD Ferrothorn: 52-63 (28.7 - 34.8%) -- 99.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery]

Thanks for RMT!

I have to be honest, the way you wrote this makes it pretty hard to read and rate. Anyway i'll give it a try.

Even with ScarfLandog in the team, this looks fairly weak to CharY's spam, specially if supported by Aegislash (and eventually Wide Guard). I agree that CharY can't really touch incineroar (barring the rare Air Slash on it), but neither does incineroar.

I'd definitely try to find a space for Heatran, over Incineroar probably, to handle both CharY and Aegislash. Then, to cover the loss of a dark type i'd probably try Hydreigon, to complete the MetaIdraLele (steal dragon fairy), probably over Gastrodon.
Another option is to switch out Zapdos for Tapu Koko if you put Tailwind on Hydreigon, to hit harder (zapdos can't really ohko chary) and eventually reset the psychic terrain for Lele.

Again, please try to edit a little the format, this has been hard to read

Last edited:
Welcome to Smogon! I'm locking your RMT for the time being as the forum rules require that you use a readable format and layout. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the ideal formatting and layout we require. PM me with updated version and I'll be happy to unlock this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)