Mew

Banryu, Mew is capable of running many effective sets, but it is largely outclassed in several cases due to something with better typing/more bulk/higher speed/higher attack/niche ability/etc. There is only really the need to post sets that Mew does better than other pokemon, and I think Lee's set and the typical Baton Pass sets capture that.

Banryu, Mew is capable of running many effective sets, but it is largely outclassed in several cases due to something with better typing/more bulk/higher speed/higher attack/niche ability/etc. There is only really the need to post sets that Mew does better than other pokemon, and I think Lee's set and the typical Baton Pass sets capture that.
Perhaps you underestimate the element of surprise.

Perhaps you underestimate the element of surprise.
Maybe, but even then it isn't such a disadvantage. Things that switch into Mew often carry Trick, fast Taunt, Super-effective moves that force it to pass or switch (think ScarfTar), or brute force. They will continue to do so even if Mew attempts to set up.

Otherwise, dealing with a base 100 Atk/SpA booster that has 80 and 90 base power moves as its strongest STAB options shouldn't be too difficult for teams prepared to deal with threats packing 120/130 offenses and boosting moves as well, not to mention stronger STAB moves with better coverage.

That's really only true when Mew is standing next to the other members of the Ubers metagame. :0 As far as uniqueness goes, Baton Passing is definitely what Mew excels at compared to other Passers, however, it's by no means the only thing that Mew can beat someone at. It is a better NP-Vacuum Wave user than Toxicroak, better Super Fang-Brine abuser than Sharpedo, the only thing that resembles a Trap-Passer this generation (IE, only learner of both Block and U-Turn, and capable of abusing them), and no doubt countless other things. In fact, the following set is an almost ridiculous example of just how unique and unpredictable Mew can be:

Mew @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spe
- U-Turn
- Trick
- Outrage / Me First
- Explosion

This set is kind of an extreme example... no other Pokemon gets the combination of these five moves (except Smeargle, but again....) Display is totally right, you're completely underestimating the surprise factor with Mew. That alone makes even a set as gimmicky as the one above somewhat-viable, which I can say, having gone against it and struggled heavily.

These are only a few of the no doubt countless unique strategies Mew can pull, and I'm simply trying to stimulate conversation about it by asking passersby to this thread to think of and contribute one. If you don't like that or don't wish to contribute, then... just don't.

Maybe, but even then it isn't such a disadvantage. Things that switch into Mew often carry Trick, fast Taunt, Super-effective moves that force it to pass or switch (think ScarfTar), or brute force. They will continue to do so even if Mew attempts to set up.

Otherwise, dealing with a base 100 Atk/SpA booster that has 80 and 90 base power moves as its strongest STAB options shouldn't be too difficult for teams prepared to deal with threats packing 120/130 offenses and boosting moves as well, not to mention stronger STAB moves with better coverage.
It's funny, that doesn't really stop Jirachi and Celebi (also base 100 offenses) from trying to sweep stuff. :0 Granted, Jirachi has a stronger defensive type, but Mew has many more things going for it that plenty make up for the weaknesses. I seriously think you're having trouble picturing Mew outside the context of Ubers... put him in 4th Gen OU and he would absolutely destroy things should he decide to run offensive sets, I promise you. I don't believe it would be much different nowadays either.

That's really only true when Mew is standing next to the other members of the Ubers metagame. :0 As far as uniqueness goes, Baton Passing is definitely what Mew excels at compared to other Passers, however, it's by no means the only thing that Mew can beat someone at. It is a better NP-Vacuum Wave user than Toxicroak, better Super Fang-Brine abuser than Sharpedo, the only thing that resembles a Trap-Passer this generation (IE, only learner of both Block and U-Turn, and capable of abusing them), and no doubt countless other things. In fact, the following set is an almost ridiculous example of just how unique and unpredictable Mew can be:

Mew @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spe
- U-Turn
- Trick
- Outrage / Me First
- Explosion

This set is kind of an extreme example... no other Pokemon gets the combination of these five moves (except Smeargle, but again....) Display is totally right, you're completely underestimating the surprise factor with Mew. That alone makes even a set as gimmicky as the one above somewhat-viable, which I can say, having gone against it and struggled heavily.

These are only a few of the no doubt countless unique strategies Mew can pull, and I'm simply trying to stimulate conversation about it by asking passersby to this thread to think of and contribute one. If you don't like that or don't wish to contribute, then... just don't.
All of those points are arguable. Though Mew has added bulk, Toxicroak does have STAB on Vacuum Wave and functions better in rain thanks to its recovery. Despite its frailty, Sharpedo now has Speed Boost over Mew (making those 5 critical base points irrelevant), and access to STAB Crunch off of base 120 Atk to frighten away ghosts - Super Fang / Crunch / Brine / Aqua Jet combines the FangBrine strategy with priority and a powerful STAB move in one set, which Mew cannot replicate.

The set you've posted can definitely work every now and then, I'm sure, but in the long run people will catch on and it will not be nearly as effective as before. TrickScarf + U-Turn is something that Jirachi can do, for example, and can use IronFlinch to arguably greater effect than an unSTABed Outrage from 299 Atk or the gimmicky Me First. Explosion is probably the most viable aspect of that set, largely because Explosion is a viable option for nearly all pokemon that learn it.

Perhaps changing the Outrage slot to a move that would help you revenge threats specific to your team would be more effective. Ice Beam for dragons, Thunderbolt for water-type, etc.

It's funny, that doesn't really stop Jirachi and Celebi (also base 100 offenses) from trying to sweep stuff. :0 Granted, Jirachi has a stronger defensive type, but Mew has many more things going for it that plenty make up for the weaknesses. I seriously think you're having trouble picturing Mew outside the context of Ubers... put him in 4th Gen OU and he would absolutely destroy things should he decide to run offensive sets, I promise you. I don't believe it would be much different nowadays either.
I've actually been talking about Mew outside of Ubers this entire time, not to mention that for the purposes of this thread 4th Gen OU is largely irrelevant. You bring up Jirachi and Celebi, but that's exactly my point - Jirachi's much better defensive typing lets it easily accumulate several Calm Minds, making it more difficult to revenge than Mew, in addition to providing Wish support quite often as well. Celebi doesn't really "sweep," either, as its STABs don't lend themselves to it readily. Shaymin would be a better comparison, in which case the high base power of Seed Flare (along with its side effect) as well as the coverage and defensive fortitude of the grass-type are what give it its niche.

A small note regarding 4th-gen OU; Mew still had fierce competition. Gyarados could DD late game just as easily as Mew could SD, but end up faster and nearly as powerful with a better STAB for sweeping. Jirachi could accumulate enough boosts to blow past Blissey (who is walling and crippling Mew despite Aura Sphere) and sweep the remaining teammates. Infernape sports higher speed, high base power moves, and brilliant offensive typing. And because both would be sweeping late-game, you can assume the adequate support has been provided for each, making Mew's bulk relevant only in the context of revenge killing and priority.

What I'm trying to say is that while I by no means discourage experimenting with Mew, its actual options are not as all-encompassing as its movepool would have you believe. Defensive Psychic-types are not great, and I've proven that, even in OU, Mew struggles to find its niche among harder, faster, stronger hitters. Support sets really seem to be the way to go with it, as they can be readily adapted to your team's needs.

I have thought up a new set:

@

Mew @ Leftovers
Nature: Impish/Bold
Ability: Synchronize
252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD

~Willo-wisp
~Reflect
~Softboiled
~Thunderwave/Roar/Dragon Tail/Substitute/Taunt/filler

Mew has 100/100/100 defenses in which most people underestimate, This can bait out many physical attackers, and totally destroy them. Scizor, Tyrannitar and just about anything else will be crippled. Thunder wave can cripple the fire types, and Dragon tail can make sure your not completely screwed over by taunt. Mew is one of the few pokemon that gets Willo-wisp and Reflect, and a reliable recovery move which makes it really difficult to take down. Heracross though, is a big threat to this set.

^I actually like that set quite a bit, in fact it is almost identical to StallTwo in Ubers. I would suggest Dragon Tail in the last slot, and Light Screen as an alternative to Reflect should you want to patch up the SpD. One last nitpick; Mew doesn't actually learn Recover, so you'll have to use Softboiled from Gen 3.

Alright, I guess I have to admit that my examples weren't the most thought out or fitting examples for what I'm trying to demonstrate.
I've actually been talking about Mew outside of Ubers this entire time, not to mention that for the purposes of this thread 4th Gen OU is largely irrelevant. You bring up Jirachi and Celebi, but that's exactly my point - Jirachi's much better defensive typing lets it easily accumulate several Calm Minds, making it more difficult to revenge than Mew, in addition to providing Wish support quite often as well. Celebi doesn't really "sweep," either, as its STABs don't lend themselves to it readily. Shaymin would be a better comparison, in which case the high base power of Seed Flare (along with its side effect) as well as the coverage and defensive fortitude of the grass-type are what give it its niche.
As far as this goes, Mew still stands apart from these guys and (debatably, I suppose) everyone else in the metagame. Where Jirachi has bulk and CM, Mew has Nasty Plot and the most extensive special movepool of any sweeper utilizing it. Mew has more potential than any of the other special/hidden/pixie legendaries (except possibly Manaphy with Tail Glow + Rain) offensively-speaking, I'd say. (Heck, using NP Mew with a Zoroark could produce some LOLzy results.) Mew also has Swords Dance and, again, the biggest movepool to utilize it with. SD vs NP on Mew is one of the reasons it's such a threat, because much like Lucario, you never know which it's gonna use when it's sent out.

A small note regarding 4th-gen OU; Mew still had fierce competition. Gyarados could DD late game just as easily as Mew could SD, but end up faster and nearly as powerful with a better STAB for sweeping. Jirachi could accumulate enough boosts to blow past Blissey (who is walling and crippling Mew despite Aura Sphere) and sweep the remaining teammates. Infernape sports higher speed, high base power moves, and brilliant offensive typing. And because both would be sweeping late-game, you can assume the adequate support has been provided for each, making Mew's bulk relevant only in the context of revenge killing and priority.
...Fine. But again, this is gonna be where I keep bringing up Mew's unpredictability... although granted, things like Infernape and Jirachi could be unpredictable too, in terms of physical VS special, anyway.

IWhat I'm trying to say is that while I by no means discourage experimenting with Mew, its actual options are not as all-encompassing as its movepool would have you believe. Defensive Psychic-types are not great, and I've proven that, even in OU, Mew struggles to find its niche among harder, faster, stronger hitters. Support sets really seem to be the way to go with it, as they can be readily adapted to your team's needs.
And understand, I'm just trying to discover more options beyond what we already know, that's all. But I see your point(s).

^I actually like that set quite a bit, in fact it is almost identical to StallTwo in Ubers. I would suggest Dragon Tail in the last slot, and Light Screen as an alternative to Reflect should you want to patch up the SpD. One last nitpick; Mew doesn't actually learn Recover, so you'll have to use Softboiled from Gen 3.
...ah... if you'll notice, I actually posted a set quite similar to that a page back. (I suppose I should have listed that as one of Mew's unique options, my argument might have been a little sounder. Dx)

My set was something to the effect of this:
- Thunder Wave / Will-O-Wisp
- Roar / Dragon Tail
- Magic Coat / Taunt
- Roost (=Softboiled) / Tailwind / Reflect / Heal Bell etc. etc. etc.
Where you have Statushuffle, plus Taunt or Magic Coat (depending) to block opposing Taunts. Magic Coat is absolutely vital on any supportive Mew (or Psychic-type in general) sets to keep from getting shut down by Taunt, IMO. In the last slot, recovery is best, but there's a multitude of other filler options as well which include Tailwind / Heal Bell for team support, a screen for survivability, Hypnosis, etc.

...I really should have mentioned this. Now that I think about it, there really aren't many Pokemon at all that can play a role like it.

Hm, now that you mentioned it Mew also has that extra little niche as a StallTwo clone out of Ubers (for the time being anyway). Few others can reliably block offence from both ends of the spectrum while providing some extra support AND reliable recovery. The closest contender for this niche is Cresselia, who can do a Psycho Shift with a Flame Orb, but has only Moonlight to heal itself, which we all know doesn't really cut it in Tyranitarland.

Mew @ Leftovers
Synchronize: Timid
252 HP, 252 Speed, 4 Sp. Defense
Will-o-Wisp
Light Screen
Softboiled
Taunt

I like it. =3

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
It's kind of funny that after playing PO for almost a week and a half, I've literally only seen 2 Mews, and they both sucked (they were both Baton Passers). The fact that it wasn't even nominated for a suspect on PO, which nominated a lot of borderline cases IMO, shows that people aren't really having much trouble with it.

I don't think he's quite the master of Baton Passing now with stuff like Volbeat, Gorebyss, Huntail, and Smeargle having their own uniqe niches as Baton Passers. Volbeat has priority Baton Pass with Tail Glow, which is quite ridiculous. Gorebyss and Huntail can easily pass off a White Herb Shell Break for instant sweeping power, and Smeargle is still the only one with the ability to pass Ingrain and Belly Drum. Speed Boost Blaziken is also notable for basically being Ninjask on steroids. There's also stuff like Stoned Gligar which has Taunt and can pass off Swords Dance and Rock Polish with no problem.

As for the sweeping sets, I understand that the element of surprise can be important, but the thing is, you can only take that so far. There comes a point where you have to think about if the set is reliable, not just surprising. Reliable and surprise is a good combination, of course. I personally just don't think Mew hits hard enough, especially when its only good STAB moves are Psycho Shock, Psychic, and Zen Headbutt, two of which have low base power. The rest of his moves are unSTABed, and there's also the issue that an unboosted 100 base Speed (A Rock Polisher doesn't hit very hard) just isn't enough to actually sweep effectively in this metagame unless you get a ridiculous boost like Manaphy's Rain + Tail Glow. There are too many Choice Scarfers for Mew to sweep very well.

In addition, with a wide movepool and absolute need for super-effective coverage comes 4 moveslot syndrome, which Mew easily has.

Ie. Let's look at a Nasty Plotting set:

Mew @Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid

- Nasty Plot
- Psycho Shock
- Aura Sphere/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Flamethrower/Shadow Ball

This is basically the exact definition of 4-moveslot syndrome. He needs to have some kind of STAB so that he can have a reliable attack to things with, and Psycho Shock also helps him against Blissey. If he doesn't carry Aura Sphere, he gets destroyed by Tyranitar and other bulky Darks. No Ice Beam and most Dragons can survive a hit and kill Mew. No Thunderbolt means bulky Waters screw it up. No Flamethrower means Nattorei and the massive amount of Bug/Steels wreck it. No Shadow Ball, and opposing Psychics as well as bulky Ghosts screw it up.

My point is, while Mew can be surprising with his boosting sets, just remember that he does need to take up a slot for the boosting move, and he's going to get screwed by neutral targets if he doesn't carry some sort of STAB. This means that he only has 2 other slots for coverage, so the element of surprise doesn't last very long, and even then, many things can still take a hit from Mew, not to mention that Choice Scarfers will give it hell.

This isn't to say that Mew is a bad pokemon, I just think that he's more on par with the other base 100 pixies this gen. I'd personally rather use Jirachi any day for sweeping though. Or Celebi to Baton Pass Swords Dance, Nasty Plot (remember that he does get it via event), or Calm Mind.

unpredictability means A LOT. lets see a VERY powerful pokemon in OU gen 4 that is book reading predictability. Gyarados. it ISNT uber because of many factor AND that. Now imagine a gyarados with unpredictability because of , say his SpA is increased by 60 or new moves etcetc. You get the idea. Thats the same case with mew. You cant predict it ? good bye. Same can be said from gengar and mewtwo and Jirachi all which is unpredictable.

I think mew can be used well in this metagame. He gets many great move after all

It's kind of funny that after playing PO for almost a week and a half, I've literally only seen 2 Mews, and they both sucked (they were both Baton Passers). The fact that it wasn't even nominated for a suspect on PO, which nominated a lot of borderline cases IMO, shows that people aren't really having much trouble with it.

I don't think he's quite the master of Baton Passing now with stuff like Volbeat, Gorebyss, Huntail, and Smeargle having their own uniqe niches as Baton Passers. Volbeat has priority Baton Pass with Tail Glow, which is quite ridiculous. Gorebyss and Huntail can easily pass off a White Herb Shell Break for instant sweeping power, and Smeargle is still the only one with the ability to pass Ingrain and Belly Drum. Speed Boost Blaziken is also notable for basically being Ninjask on steroids. There's also stuff like Stoned Gligar which has Taunt and can pass off Swords Dance and Rock Polish with no problem.

As for the sweeping sets, I understand that the element of surprise can be important, but the thing is, you can only take that so far. There comes a point where you have to think about if the set is reliable, not just surprising. Reliable and surprise is a good combination, of course. I personally just don't think Mew hits hard enough, especially when its only good STAB moves are Psycho Shock, Psychic, and Zen Headbutt, two of which have low base power. The rest of his moves are unSTABed, and there's also the issue that an unboosted 100 base Speed (A Rock Polisher doesn't hit very hard) just isn't enough to actually sweep effectively in this metagame unless you get a ridiculous boost like Manaphy's Rain + Tail Glow. There are too many Choice Scarfers for Mew to sweep very well.

In addition, with a wide movepool and absolute need for super-effective coverage comes 4 moveslot syndrome, which Mew easily has.

Ie. Let's look at a Nasty Plotting set:

Mew @Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid

- Nasty Plot
- Psycho Shock

This is basically the exact definition of 4-moveslot syndrome. He needs to have some kind of STAB so that he can have a reliable attack to things with, and Psycho Shock also helps him against Blissey. If he doesn't carry Aura Sphere, he gets destroyed by Tyranitar and other bulky Darks. No Ice Beam and most Dragons can survive a hit and kill Mew. No Thunderbolt means bulky Waters screw it up. No Flamethrower means Nattorei and the massive amount of Bug/Steels wreck it. No Shadow Ball, and opposing Psychics as well as bulky Ghosts screw it up.

My point is, while Mew can be surprising with his boosting sets, just remember that he does need to take up a slot for the boosting move, and he's going to get screwed by neutral targets if he doesn't carry some sort of STAB. This means that he only has 2 other slots for coverage, so the element of surprise doesn't last very long, and even then, many things can still take a hit from Mew, not to mention that Choice Scarfers will give it hell.

This isn't to say that Mew is a bad pokemon, I just think that he's more on par with the other base 100 pixies this gen. I'd personally rather use Jirachi any day for sweeping though. Or Celebi to Baton Pass Swords Dance, Nasty Plot (remember that he does get it via event), or Calm Mind.
I don't think this is as big an issue as you're making it out to be... remember that you're boosting that pretty good SAtk stat of 100 twofold, which generally tends to make supereffective coverage less important than overall general coverage. Looking at the type chart (which includes all dual types), I came up with Ice Beam + Earth Power as hitting the most things both neutrally and supereffectively, however, it's as you said: Mew really needs Aura Sphere for Tyranitar. I honestly think that just HP/PS/Shadow Ball/Aura Sphere is good enough, since the latter two moves hit everything neutrally that would need to be hit, while Psycho Shock gets STAB and lets it be a wallbreaker if need be. Another possiblity is Psycho Shock/Fire Blast/Vacuum Wave, which gives it priority while still hitting a lot of stuff hard neutrally.

If there's really so much doubt as to the effectiveness of NP Sweeper Mew, I can get some calcs for it. :0

what i don't get is mew has the same base stats as jirachi and celebi. they are said to have good bulk, so why not mew who has the same stats. also i was thinking of a support like this:
mew@choicescarf
252 spe, 252 hp
trick
thunder wave
u-turn
taunt/dragon tail ( undecided on last move)
being trick got nerfed i still thought using trick to give a choice scrf to a pokemon and then thunder waving them to negate the boost they gain from choice scaf. u turn is there for scout and for last slot i was undecided and randomly picked dragon tail and taunt.

what i don't get is mew has the same base stats as jirachi and celebi. they are said to have good bulk, so why not mew who has the same stats. also i was thinking of a support like this:
mew@choicescarf
252 spe, 252 hp
trick
thunder wave
u-turn
taunt/dragon tail ( undecided on last move)
being trick got nerfed i still thought using trick to give a choice scrf to a pokemon and then thunder waving them to negate the boost they gain from choice scaf. u turn is there for scout and for last slot i was undecided and randomly picked dragon tail and taunt.
I agree, but apparently it's a matter of typing. :0 Jirachi has Steel as a secondary typing (self-explanatory), and Celebi has Grass, which grants resistance to useful types such as Ground and Water. The main problem with being purely-Psychic is the big weakness to Ghost/Dark attacks, which are still relatively common (and all the great new Bug-types with nasty STABs don't help too much); however, I don't see why Mew can't pull off more defensive sets. This set, anyway, seems perfectly viable to me; I personally would go Dragon Tail for Paraspreading, since this one isn't too bothered by MH Taunt (it can just Uturn out). It probably wants some more investment in its defenses when running either Dragon Tail OR Taunt, though.

However, as far as defensive sets go, the mini-StallTwo variation is probably superior. I think a better defensive/supportive Mew (outside of mini-Stalltwo) looks like the one that I posted:
Banryu said:
- Thunder Wave / Will-O-Wisp
- Roar / Dragon Tail
- Magic Coat / Taunt
- Roost / Tailwind / Heal Bell etc. etc. etc.
Regarding NP Mew's problems (again), I sort of realized a better reason why it's not completely terrible... You're absolutely right about one thing, Bologo; Mew will not be able to beat everything, even in the OU environment, with a NP set. However, the same is pretty much true of every sweeper out there, is it not? Mew's role, I realized, is the ultimate utility Pokemon. It might not be able to do anything (except Baton Passing) better than anyone, however, its variability makes this less of an issue. As a Nasty Plotter, Mew is the ultimate utility counter for offensive teams-- it, unlike most sweepers, isn't something that you build your team around, but rather it's the cement that you pour into the cracks of your team. This is basically true of all the roles Mew plays that aren't Baton Passing, and the fact that it can easily beat its counters if you want it to makes it plenty dangerous.

Does anyone get what I'm saying here? I'm not really sure if I'm describing it accurately.

^Mew functions as a glue, filling in whatever role your team requires.

As I've been saying, though, I agree with all of the points Bologo makes. 4-slot syndrome and decidedly average offensive stats mean that while yes, Mew can Swords Dance or Nasty Plot, it doesn't do it as well as, say, Infernape.

Granted, Infernape doesn't beat everything, and neither does Mew. But Infernape can be relied upon to take down more things because of its high base power STAB moves and speed. That's the difference.

Fair enough, I guess...

...maybe I'm going about it all wrong, trying to come up with standardized sets for Mew. It could very well be that running any assortment of random (but useful) moves could result in a successful set simply because of the unpredictability factor (like that one set I listed with Outrage/U-Turn/etc; it was absurdly gimmicky, and yet it worked against me because I never saw it coming).

Hmm.....

Damage Calculations to MIN/MIN Mew (100/100/100 is getting really underrated people because it only HAS Ghost/Dark/Bug weaknesses and those you can generally see coming. The biggest threat probably to offensive Mew must be Shadow Tag Shandera honestly because Choice Scarfers will generally never ko at decent health and maybe not even 2 hit ko)

Choice Scarf Garchomp Outrage: 57.31-67.84% Ko with Icebeam
Choice Scarf Ononokonsu Outrage: 62.57-73.98% Ko with Icebeam
Choice Band Adamant Onononkonsue Outrage 103.51-121.93% (but it will survive behind Reflect), faster, Ko with Icebeam
Choice Scarf Tyranitar Pursuit if you stay in: 39.18%-47.37% (because leading off with Crunch is dangerous, especially now with Justice Heart) OHKO with +2 Life Orb Aura Sphere
Jolly Unboosted Doryuzu:49.42-58.18%

Damage tp Erufuun unboosted Flamethrower/Icebeam does: Always 2 hit ko unless they don't invest in hp and special defense at all in which case, Life Orb unboosted OHKOs.

Choice Scarf Sazandora Draco Meteor: 64.91-76.61%, Ko with +2 Aura Sphere/Icebeam with Life Orb, unboosted and Life Orb, 75.69%-89.23%

Choice Scarf Sazandora Dark Pulse: 74.27-88.30%

Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch: 47.37%-56.14%, only 20% chance for 2 hit ko if running Leftovers. Kill with Flamethrower, or heavily dent with +2 Life Orb Aura Sphere for 74.34-87.76%.

And behind Screens and with Max hp and 72 evs in defense and rest in SDef in sdef and enough speed for T-tar invested:

Adamant Choice Band Tyranitar Crunch: 50.50-59.90%

Swords Dance +2 Life Orb Adamant Ononokonsu Outrage: 70.74-83.17%

Choice Scarf Tyranitar Crunch (who by the way does not OHKO min/min Mew with Crunch even with Sandstorm unless it has Sandstorm damage):31.19-37.13%

Shandera vrs. Mew with 300 SDef behind Screen: 31.19-37.13

Nasty Plot +2 Life Orb Mew damage calculations
Aura Sphere on Special Defensive Tyranitar: 103.96-122.77% always ohko
Aura Sphere on Sazandora: 142.77-168.62%
Aura Sphere on 343 Hp Scizor: 74.34-87.76%
Aura Sphere on 252/252 Nattorei: 76.24-90.06% (I don't know the common spreads Nattorei runs but it will always 1-2hit ko)
Icebeam on Multi-Scale Dragonite: 117.40-138.18%

Blissey needs Calm Nature (which it should always run now) since Bold nature allows it to be 2 hit koed by +2 Life Orb Aura Sphere with Stealth Rock. It obviously dies to Psycho Shock with Stealth Rock. But I prefer to run Roost myself for Recovery. Actually, Aura Sphere/Icebeam gives the best two move coverage in my opinion as you could then hit Dragons which are far more common than Ghosts and other than minor things like Burungeru, Shandera (who you couldn't run from if you're running Nasty Plot but if you use Baton Pass over Roost...), or Gengar, you hit pretty much everything and everything you don't probably won't hit you enough to ko before passing or being recovered and set up on or just plain switching. Jirachi may have resistances and Celebi may have some but Mew lacks as common (although Dark/Ghost/Bug is common as Ground/Fire of Jirachi) weaknesses. However, Jirachi and Celebi lack movepool to Mew and while they are superior in certain sets, in pure offense, Mew is better.

And do not say Garchomp is a scarier set up threat. That is true but most people use Garchomp as a Scarf revenge killer (due to more faster things that can threaten him now) now. Doryuzu is obviously a (almost broken if not broken) physical attacker. But Mew is definitely with Nasty Plot, one of the scariest special attackers along with Manaphy (Tail Glow makes Manaphy even more scary than Mew except Mew can recover and/or pass as well or do so many other things). Mew is a swiss army knife capable of doing everything and I would love the Zoroark/Mew mind games. As a special attacker, Mew almost outclasses most of them due to extreme coverage and with Nasty Plot, COVERAGE IS ALMOST ALWAYS MORE IMPORTANT THAN STAB.

Mew is the epitome of the sadness of only having 4 moves to use because it could use so many. While Mew probably (once it's set is revealed) won't be sweeping entire well-built teams, it will always at least take out 1 if not 2 or more Pokemon which is more than enough to say that Mew is an AWESOME POKEMON.

Lol, I love Mew.

Plus, screens. It WILL NOT DIE. Mew is the ultimate team support.

THANK you sir, I needed that. (Firstly, it helps the argument I've been trying to make, but also it gives me hope again, LOL.)

I WAS gonna say, as far as Psychic-type special sweepers (with sucky or no secondary typing) go, Mew is probably the best of these due to, again, its unheard-of coverage and whatnot.

Also, I wanted to mention again that Ice Beam + Earth Power has nigh-unresisted coverage, and Mew's +2 LO Earth Power deals 81.2% - 95.5% to Tyranitar with 252 HP / 0 SDef; a very high chance of OHKO with SR up. Any less defensive variants are OHKO'd, OHKO's Shandera as well, and also succeeds in at least damaging Burungeru neutrally (I don't have a calc that includes 5th gen mons, so nothing definitive here, sorry -___-'); the only real downside I can think of is that it no longer hits Nattorei supereffectively. And I can totally see Roost being used on this... it, Baton Pass, and Psycho Shock all seem like completely usable options in the last slot.

Thank you again, Fluffy Otters, for giving me hope once again.

Why do people assume just because a pokemon is only 100 all around it isn't fantastic at anything? I need to find out where you people battle withe the 5th gen so I can use mew and prove my arguement.

It's Pokemon Online. :0 and that's exactly MY point-- Jirachi, Celebi and the other base-100-alls fare perfectly well in OU, and with Mew's gigantic movepool, there's no reason to think it shouldn't too.

Thank you for the site. If anyone is interested the set will be this

Mew
Item: Red Card
Nature:Modest
spat:252 df:216 rest:spd
flamethrower
icebeam
sunny day
roost/uturn/psycho shock

this merw will be a lead. The most common leads are the dark dragon (I don't know if its draco meteor kills me or not), hippo, giagisu and the grass/steel thing. Two get beat out and I think I kill the dragon. No stopping the rock though.

Thank you for the site. If anyone is interested the set will be this

Mew
Item: Red Card
Nature:Modest
spat:252 df:216 rest:spd
flamethrower
icebeam
sunny day
roost/uturn/psycho shock

this merw will be a lead. The most common leads are the dark dragon (I don't know if its draco meteor kills me or not), hippo, giagisu and the grass/steel thing. Two get beat out and I think I kill the dragon. No stopping the rock though.
May I?

I like your idea here, the utility anti-lead. However, Sunny Day should really be left to Ninetales in DW tier, and preferrably a wall in Wifi. Over it, I'd run Grass Knot to better tackle Hippo and take on gigaiasu, then Taunt in the last slot to stop the Rocks from coming up? I might be completely wrong, though.

EDIT: Ignoar what was here. I thoughfor some reason Mew got recover.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)