Mienshao

#620 Kojondo
(Fighting)

65/125/60/95/60/105

Inner Focus: This Pokemon will not flinch.
Regeneration: This Pokemon regains 1/3rd of it's HP when switching out.
Reckless: Power/recoil of recoil moves is boosted.

Offensively:
SE: Rock, Ice, Steel, Normal
Resisted by: Flying, Psychic, Bug, Ghost (Immune)

Offensively, fighting has been a great type historically. With pokemon like Lucario, Machamp and until recently, Heracross, boasting their high attack stats. But Kojondo is something else. It's the second fastest fighting type to date (1st is tied between Infernape and the new legends) and it boasts a set of mix stats that differentiates itself from either. With more attack than Infernape, Kobaruon, Birijion and Kerudio, and more Special Attack than Kobaruon, Birijion and Terakion. It has access to moves like Calm Mind too, which are typically not seen on fighting types. But something I want to draw attention to is it's ability, regeneration, which may seem like a defensive ability. But in actuality it allows Kojondo to switch in as a revenge killer without any fear of Stealth Rocks/Spikes! It also gives him a fierce, and fearless way out with a strong U-Turn (though not as strong as Scizor's) that essentially functions as a recovery move!

Defensively:
Weak x2: Psychic, Flying
Resists x2: Bug, Rock, Dark

Defensively Kojondo is crap and I'm not even going to bother. Come on. I think 65/60/60 makes him the worst fully evolved fighting type defensively.

Discuss.

And here's another take on Kojondo by Ryanide! (Thanks)

#620 Kojondo
(Fighting)
60/125/60/95/60/105

Inner Focus: This pokemon can't flinch
Regeneration: switching out restores 1/3 of this pokemon's full HP
Reckless: attacks that have recoil property will do more damage

Right, when I saw this thing's stats, I was immediately reminded of Lucario to some extent. A fragile mixed attacker with speed that's nothing to sneeze at, yet not ideal for it's role either. Still, Kojondo seems like it has the potential to be a very interesting pokemon ( and one of the more aesthetically pleasing pokemon this gen to top it off.) it's stats also seem to share a likeliness to Zoroark too.

Before discussing pros and cons, let's take a look at it's stats.

65/125/60/95/60/105
It's instantly clear that this pokemon is meant to be geared towards offensive play. It has a very respectable 125 base attack and a very respectable base 105 speed, making it faster than Lucario and as fast as Zoroark. Special attack is also solid, but pales in comparison to it's physical attack. It's defenses are universally awful but no more so than most fragile sweepers of it's ilk. at 105 base speed, it is still going to struggle to keep up with faster pokemon...

Level up moves:
Pound, Meditate, Detect, Fake-out, Doubleslap, Swift, Calm Mind, Force Palm, Drain Punch, Jump Kick, U-turn, Trickery, Bounce, Hi-jump Kick, Reversal, Aura Sphere.

Learnable TMs: TM04 - Calm Mind, TM06 - Toxic, TM08 - Bulk Up, TM10 - Hidden Power, TM11 - Sunny Day, TM12 - Taunt, TM15 - Hyper Beam, TM17 - Protect, TM18 - Rain Dance, TM21 - Frustration, TM27 - Return, TM28 - Dig, TM31 - Brick Break, TM32 - Double Team, TM33 - Reflect, TM39 - Rock Tomb, TM40 - Aerial Ace, TM42 - Facade, TM44 - Rest, TM45 - Attract, TM47 - Ankle Sweep, TM48 - Troll, TM52 - Focus Blast, TM56 - Fling, TM62 - Acrobat, TM66 - Payback, TM67 - Get Even, TM68 - Giga Impact, TM71 - Stone Edge, TM75 - Swords Dance, TM77 - Psych Up, TM80 - Rock Slide, TM83 - Cheer Up, TM84 - Poison Jab, TM86 - Grass Knot, TM87 - Swagger, TM89 - U-Turn, TM90 - Substitute, TM94 - Rock Smash, HM04 - Strength

Egg Moves: Endure, Baton Pass, Vital Throw, Smellingsalt, Low Kick, Feint, Me First, Knock Off

--

This is where things start to look really nice, but also a bit worrying. Of note is the fact that this pokemon has the ability to baton pass Calm Mind, Bulk Up, Cheer up, Swords Dance and Substitute. It also gets a range of powerful attacks and attack buffs over both the physical and special end of the spectrum. It learns U-turn and also has Regeneration, an ability that will restore it's health by 1/3 whenever it switches (possibly to be used in combination with U-turn) and it also learns Taunt. This thing is an offensive powerhouse and a baton pass maniac, but even in that it has some flaws which can't be ignored.

PROS: powerful, versatile mixed attacker. Not slow, High base attack, Many useful buffs, good options for baton pass sets, good offensive type, able to regenerate health on the switch. STAB 130 base power Hi-jump kick.

CONS: defensively frail, has trouble dealing with ghosts, lacks type coverage, has no priority attacks, has no way to boost it's own speed, could be faster...

Kojando has no way to boost it's own speed. It's strongest way to deal with ghosts probably comes from either payback or stone edge, both of which aren't ideal. While 105 base speed is very nice, it's going to have a hard time vs offensive pokemon who are faster, as well as priority attackers due to it's low defenses. Much of it's type coverage options come on the special side, which would detract focus from it's superior physical attack.

DREAM WORLD KOJONDO:

Kojondo gets Reckless from the dream world - an ability which boosts the power of recoil moves (such as Hi-jump kick and it's ridiculous base 130 power) by 20%. Factor this into Kojondo's already high 120 base attack and you have a pokemon with a trump card attack who is able to deal monstrous damage in a single fighting-type blow. Sadly, this does come with some drawbacks. It has no effect on any other attack in Kojondo's entire moveset save for jump kick, and that 10% chance of a miss and recoil WILL send kojondo down for the count. For a scarfed set though, this could be pretty beastly so long as shadow tag Shanderaa isn't floating about.

And from DDRMaster
Kojondo, Fighting-type

HP: 65
Atk: 125
Def: 60
SpAtk: 95
SpDef: 60
Spe: 105

Abilities

Inner Focus/Regeneration/Reckless (Dream World)

Inner Focus: Prevents the Pokemon from Flinching.

Regeneration: The Pokemon heals 33% of its maximum HP when it switches out.

Reckless: Recoil moves, Jump Kick, and Hi Jump Kick get their damage increased by 20%.

Moves:

Wide Guard: Protects all allies from attacks that would hit all of your Pokemon. May fail if used in succession.

Cheer Up: Raises the user's Atk and SpAtk 1 stage.

Hi Jump Kick: Hi Jump Kick now has 130 Base Power instead of 100 like in Gen 4. Everything else has remained the same.

Set Name: Swords Dance Sweeper
Item: Life Orb/Wide Lens
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Reckless/Regenerate

~Swords Dance
~Hi Jump Kick
~Stone Edge
~Payback/Baton Pass

Kojondo can use its high Attack and Speed to great effect by using Swords Dance. It even gets the most powerful Fighting moves (besides Focus Punch) and even has Reckless to boost it further. Hi Jump Kick attains 234 Base Power when taking Reckless and STAB into account, which is actually higher than even Focus Punch would be at 225.

Unfortunately, that's about were the good news ends for Kojondo, as it has a shallow movepool. Nevertheless, it can make good use of Stone Edge to hit Ghosts, particularly Shanderaa, and Fliers hard and can even potentially Baton Pass the boosts to an ally.

Life Orb is a standard Item on a set like this and works well with Regenerate to heal off the damage. However, if the imperfect accuracy from High Jump Kick and Stone Edge is off putting, you can go with Wide Lens instead, which will boost their Accuracies to 99 and 88, respectively. Low Kick is another STAB option for Kojondo, however, it will only out-do Wide Lens Reckless if you go with Life Orb and Regeneration and even at that, the Pokemon has to be pretty heavy. The fact that Hi Jump Kick will practically kill Kojondo if it tries to hit a Ghost-type is another reason to consider it.

Set Name: Mixed Sweeper
Item: Life Orb/Wide Lens
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SpAtk/252 Spe
Nature: Naive
Ability: Reckless/Regeneration

~Cheer Up
~Hi Jump Kick
~Hidden Power [Ice]/[Ghost]
~Stone Edge/Grass Knot/Baton Pass

Kojondo's Special Attack may not be as high as its Attack, but it's still above average and Kojondo has the movepool to use it. Hi Jump Kick is the standard super powerful STAB option for Kojondo and the Hidden Power you choose depends on what you want to be able to take down. HP Ice takes down Gliscor and many Flying types while HP Ghost is your best option against Ghost types.

Stone Edge in the final slot give Kojondo a more powerful option against Fliers, Gyarados in particular, while Grass Knot is your best attack against Goruggo (Ground/Ghost) and (most likely) Burunkeru (Water/Ghost). Baton Pass is another good move to use with Kojondo's High Speed and many mixed sweepers such as Salamence will apreciate a boost to their offenses.

Set Name: Mixed Choice Scarf
Item: Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk/40 SpAtk/216 Spe
Nature: Naive
Ability: Reckless/Regenrate

~Hi Jump Kick
~Hidden Power [Ice]
~Stone Edge
~U-turn

While it may seem like a bad idea to use a Choice locked Fighting type, with Shanderaa going to be everywhere, Kojondo has quite a few things going for it and, ironically, one of them actually forces it to kill itself. Kojondo's Speed and the Speed EVs and Nature provided allow Kojondo to outspeed +1 Salamence, Ononokusu, and Sazando and it can easily OHKO them (I'm not sure on this, I haven't ran damage calc but I don't see how they're surviving) with HP Ice and Hi Jump Kick, respectively. Stone Edge allows Kojondo to KO Gyarados. U-turn is mainly for scouting but it is also a nice way to get a Regeneration boost.

Normally, Shanderaa can easily come in on Choice Fighting types expecting to wall and trap them and set up whatever it wants. Kojondo has 2 things going for it against Shanderaa. The first, and most obvious, is U-turn, which lets Kojondo switch out of Shanderaa as it switches in. This can allow you to get a Pursuit trapper of you own in and take out Shanderaa without it KOing anything. The second, and more detrimental to Kojondo's health, is Hi Jump Kick. Since Hi Jump Kick hits the user half the damage it would have inflicted on the opponent if it misses or the opponent has an immunity, Shanderaa can't actually trap Kojondo for very long before it kills itself. Another good point about this set is the fact that Shanderaa can only switch in on HP Ice without Kojondo killing itself, it getting killed by Stone Edge, or Kojondo safely switching out with U-turn.

Overall, Kojondo is a very powerful Fighting type with a good niche. Although, its shallow movepool often lets it down and it requires a good deal of prediction. However, if you can use Kojondo right it will pay off for you.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Damn this thing has to be one of the best scouts. Sure it cannot take a hit very well but Regeneration + U-turn is very good. I can see a scarf set working out O.K here.

Damn this thing has to be one of the best scouts. Sure it cannot take a hit very well but Regeneration + U-turn is very good. I can see a scarf set working out O.K here.
Very true. It definately has some potential as a sweeper as well. Not the best Pokemon but not the worst either.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Basically I think something like

Kojondo @ Choice Scarf
4HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
U-Turn
Rock Slide
High Jump Kick
Filler (Me First?)

Abuses that 125 base attack stat nicely.

I can also see some potential with a Baton Pass set. Sub + Boosting move + Stat bosting Berry + Acrobat (after you have bassed your boost) loks o.k as well. This thing really shines as a Baton Passer or a Revenger. It does not have the greatest movepool however I guess a Sub + Boosting move on a sweeper set could work (eg CM or Bulk Up to try and make unbreakable subs) Low defense hurts it though

Please update this to the dream world section:

Kojondo gets Reckless from the dream world - an ability which boosts the power of recoil moves (such as Hi-jump kick and it's ridiculous base 130 power) by 20%. Factor this into Kojondo's already high 120 base attack and you have a pokemon with a trump card attack who is able to deal monstrous damage in a single fighting-type blow. Sadly, this does come with some drawbacks. It has no effect on any other attack in Kojondo's entire moveset save for jump kick, and that 10% chance of a miss and recoil WILL send kojondo down for the count. For a scarfed set though, this could be pretty beastly so long as shadow tag Shanderaa isn't floating about.

This is one of the pokemon that has (mostly) flown under the radar because it doesn't have some of those rediculous 135+ stats some of the other new mons do. Having said that, I really think this could be a great pokemon this gen. Priority will screw it, but thats true of any frail sweeper. I think Kojondo has the stats and movepool to be a top tier ou pokemon.

Off topic rant:
Also, if someone would like to help out discussion of another underrated gen 5 fighting type, they should post something it the terakion thread to bump it to the front page. Just saying.

Well, high attack and fake out make for a decent lead.

Kojondo @ Focus sash/ Life orb
Jolly 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Fake Out
U-turn
Taunt
High Jump Kick

Fake out with a fast U-turn (And regeneration to heal the LO recoil) means that you can at least break any sashes (Or sturdy effects) and switch to a counter in most cases. Taunt prevents set up, and HJK is for a STAB.

Cheer up

Kojondo @ Life Orb/ Leftovers
252 Atk/ 4 SpA / 252 Spe

Cheer Up
Aura Sphere
Stone Edge
HJK

Very limited coverage, but still viable none the less.

Noob Pass

Kojondo @ Leftovers
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe

Cheer Up/ Bulk Up/ Calm Mind/ Swords Dance
Baton Pass
High Jump Kick
Substitute

Eh, just another BP user.

Fake out is indeed pretty nice on this pokemon.

BTW, I think it's really worth noting that Kojondo learns both calm mind and bulk up. That pretty much means that if it's faster than the opponent, it can boost either of it's defenses/offenses, maybe offsetting it's terrible defense a little.

Hi-jump kick
bulk up
calm mind
grass knot/aura sphere

I don't know, it's not very solid but it's possible to do something like this I'm sure. Even just focussing on one defensive set could work.

Or you could go for supra-mixed sweeper and run cheer up instead, but that leaves you much more vulnerable defensively.

Does Regneration work when you're using BP as well? If so, this set could work:

Name: Baton Pass
move 1: Baton Pass
move 2: Cheer Up / Swords Dance / Calm Mind
move 3: Hi Jump Kick
move 4: Trickery / Substitute
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Regeneration
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP

Looking at its movepool and speed, this poke has so many passing options that it can pass pretty much anything besides Speed boosts. It can come in and threaten weaker pokemon with a base 125 Atk and the new powerful Hi Jump Kick. Then it can set up and pass with a free heal to its HP. You can use Trickery to scare away ghosts with a powerful Dark-type attack or take up the last slot to pass a Sub, which takes no HP thanks to Regeneration.

edit: ninja'd 2 posts up. lol.

The problem is that we don't know how trickery works yet...it's probably only powerful if the opponent is all pumped up on +stats.

Also, I think we really need to look at the dream world set with the 20%+ hi jump kick. Just how powerful would that be under life orb?

Speaking of life orb, Kojondo can run life orb and recover all the recoil lost on switch with regeneration, lol.

As i posted in the blaziken thread, even with 130 base power, hjk is being overhyped. You basically kill/maim yourself against any ghost or protect user. However, i do think hjk has more potential on kojondo than blaziken, because regeneration gives it some form of recovery to help mitigate any hjk mishaps.

The problem is that we don't know how trickery works yet...it's probably only powerful if the opponent is all pumped up on +stats.
If Trickery starts off at 95, it shouldn't have too much a problem dealing with ghosts. Even though a majority of ghosts are special-based and not physical, they're also pretty physically frail and a 95 BP Dark attack isn't anything to laugh at.

trickery starts at 95? really? Well that's really good to know. I thought it'd be something weak like 60 or 55.

Also, Konondo would probably kill itself on a missed hi-jump kick, due to poor defenses and HP. Maybe it might be worth investigating Feint against protect users?

In a more scout-oriented set, Ankle Sweep or Force Palm could replace HJK. Lowering the speed of whatever switches in ensures that it'll have a chance to U-turn.

Ankle sweep is probably more reliable. Well Kojondo can't boost it's own speed in any way save for salacc, so maybe ankle sweep will be more important than it looks.

I think Kojondo will be a brutal late-game pokemon when all the high-speed threats like Weavile, crobat and Infernape aren't running around.

As i posted in the blaziken thread, even with 130 base power, hjk is being overhyped. You basically kill/maim yourself against any ghost or protect user. However, i do think hjk has more potential on kojondo than blaziken, because regeneration gives it some form of recovery to help mitigate any hjk mishaps.
Aimed Mark/Accuracy Glasses item can cure that. Additionally, Reckless can boost it.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Yeah, Choice sets with Regeneration U-Turn will be pretty cool. If it was a bit bulkier it would be amazing. Reckless Swords Dance sets will also be great if they can get the time to set up; Hi Jump Kick hits stuff hard (it has a higher base power than Focus Punch!).

That said, a lot of good new stuff is faster than it - like the 108 Spe Fighting horses, which give it stiff competition - and so it is easier to revenge than 105 base Spe would be in gen IV. The Ground / Fighting Genie and Desukan look like good new counters.

What does Trickery actually do?

Aimed Mark/Accuracy Glasses item can cure that. Additionally, Reckless can boost it.
I still havent heard for sure if aim mark is a consumeable or not; i'm getting conflicting reports. However, this still doesnt help against protect users. Also, what are accuracy glasses?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)