Project Monotype Matchmaking (standby)

Approved by scpinion / OP mostly stolen from iLlama and nv / Banner by Zarif
(until a new one)

This edition is only going to include new SM releases and unbanned Pokemon for a while!

All Pokemon are unable to function effectively without their checks and counters gone, which is where their teammates come in. These partners are capable of dismantling multiple Pokemon proving a threat to their teammates, providing invaluable support and thus are often seen as the heart of the team.
This project aims to brainstorm various ideal and effective partners to various Pokemon in a single type that may range from metagame defining Pokemon to more underrated threats.

Procedure

Every cycle, I will nominate a Pokemon for discussion of potential partners and submissions. If the Pokemon happens to be dual typed, I will specify what type I am looking for from the partners. For example, if I nominate Toxapex, I will specify that week that I am looking for good Water or Poison partners that pair well with it. In that week, you will have the chance to submit any good partners for that chosen Pokemon, and after the course of the week I will put it to a vote for the best partner(s) for that chosen Pokemon and put it into the archive. People that manage to get into the archive multiple times with good submissions will be let into the Hall of Fame.

Rules

1. Stick with things high up on the viability rankings. Pokemon such as Mienshao and Vaporeon which are considered very niche should not be nominated at all.
2. Reservations are perfectly welcome. All reservations must be completed at least 2 days before the deadline.If a Pokemon is reserved, you may not use it for your own post until the 2 day gap has begun or until the reservation has been fulfilled. Once it has entered this 2 day gap, other users can take your reservation and do it for themselves. If you do not finish your reservation, you will not be allowed to submit for the following week.
3. Don't theorymon. Post Pokemon that you have experience with, or have seen it have quite some use, don't pull Pokemon out of thin air that you think will work well. Have some experience first please.
4. Explain how and why the Pokemon you chose works well. For example, offensive synergy in terms of wearing down each other's checks and counters or defensive synergy in terms of checking threats to the specified type.
5. Be nice to others with your posts and only post meaningful things. One-liners clutter up the thread, as do random memes.
6. You may use the same Pokemon as others, including the same sets, however, if you are using two of the same Pokemon as another person, the sets must be different.
7. Calcs are nice, but not compulsory.
8. One partner per post
9. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Dharma

komorebi
is a Top Artist
who even uses koko on fairy

Utility Tapu Koko

Mendum (Tapu Koko) @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Roost
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam

Offensive Choice Band Azumarill

EDEN (Azumarill) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

Azumarill makes for an excellent partner for Tapu Koko. Tapu Koko generally has a tough time against Ground and Steel types, which Azumarill handles much easier. Aqua Jet and Waterfall let ithit most Pokemon on both Steel and Ground teams. Play Rough allows into hit Gastrodon and Seismitoad, the only two Azumarill switch-ins on Ground, and Superpower lets it hit Ferrothorn and Empoleon, two of the only Azumarill switch-ins on Steel.

Tapu Koko, on the other hand, prevents hazards from being set up on the field, as well as forcing switches and giving momentum with Volt Switch.

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gastrodon: 367-433 (86.1 - 101.6%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 336-396 (80 - 94.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Gliscor: 294-348 (83.2 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 356-422 (98.6 - 116.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Seismitoad: 339-400 (81.8 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Superpower vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 320-378 (90.9 - 107.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Empoleon: 374-440 (100.5 - 118.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 228-270 (70.5 - 83.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

lol hnbl you're nicknames are bad

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)