Monotype Player of the Week #8: Sabella

Status
Not open for further replies.

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Approved by scpinion
Based off of other potws

Banner by Acast

Hey everyone and welcome to the eight installment of Monotype Player of the Week!

This week, I have a very well known player and one of the best Monotype players, Sabella! Before we get into it, this will be a weekly thing where I interview well known players to try and see into their mind a bit. If anyone has any suggestions on who I should interview, feel free to contact me on PS. Anyway, let's get to it!

Sabella

To start off with, tell us a little bit about yourself.
Well my name is Mark Im from Long Island New York and ive been on showdown since December 2014/January 2015. I originally started playing on PO because a friend of mine introduced me to it. This was back in 2012. I tried playing OU but I wasnt any good so I took to monotype. After playing for a few months I managed to peak their ladder then left for Italy for a month and never played again until 2014. The same friend introduced me to PS which was just all around much better and just really enjoyed playing. I started with monotype again but I think this time around the competition was alot better so it really made me learn how to play pokemon. I enjoy listening to a bunch of types of music as well and actually bowl a decent amount as I have 6 300 games (perfect score). I also enjoy playing volleyball. Right now I am Jr Accountant and im 23 years old and still in school to get my Masters in Accountancy.

What is your favorite Pokemon?
Hm this is a tough one Id say. Medicham or Gallade were both my Favs in BW so When I saw they had megas those totally were my two favs. I guess id have to say Gallade would be my fav as I loved playing with it in whatever gen game it came out on the DS. Probably emrald or something.

How did you get your username?
Welp originally my first name was sabbs300 and I switched to Booty Deluxe, which is why alot of older users call me booty. But once i started getting into Ou in like April of 2015 and getting into smogon I didnt want people to think i was a troll so i changed my name to Sabella, which is my last name. S/O Arifeen for the idea lol.

How did you get into Monotype?
Well I think I explained earlier but I was shit at OU at first so i played monotype because it was easier and i could still learn how to play pokemon at a slower pace.

What do you feel you're most known for?
I guess probably being in OLT 2. Thats how alot of people know me but if this is more about what Im known for in monotype, Id say its probably my building and all the big room tours I used to win when we had them on main. My building is a little unconventional and innovative so I think thats what Im probably known for.

What is the Pokemon you use the most?
Probably Gyarados such a great mon in monotype and it just gels so well on flying.

What is your favorite type to use in Monotype, and what is your favorite type overall?
My Favorite type to use in Monotype would be either Psychic or Flying. I learned playing monotypes mainly with these two and water so generally I like building all different Styles with these types. All three had so many options and playstyles which i think why i graduated to them sorry if that doesnt answer the question hard for me to give a true answer. I guess my favorite type overall right now is flying it has so many options and if you build well you can create such dominant teams.

What playstyle do you prefer?
Bulky Offense or Balance are the playstyles that suite me the best. I like Strong wallbreakers coupled with a strong defensive backbone.
How do you feel about where you stand in the community right now?
I feel pretty good about where I stand. Even though im not monotype staff my opinion and word has alot of say in this community and I am respected like staff which is very generous and kind of the monostaff to treat me that way. I consider myself a top player in the community and one of the best builders in monotype and I feel respected in that way so I feel pretty good about my place in the community.

Are there any players you looked up to when you were starting out or still look up to?
Yea for sure. I remember when I started Tesla and Kaiser were the players I looked up to the most. Nobody was as good as them when I first started learning and I my goal was always to be as good as they were when I was starting. They were always very consistent and that was admirable.

Any players that you think are underrated and that we will see a lot from in the future?
Yea I do. I usually always have my hand in some sort of tutoring position helping young users that I see with talent. I think 6Ti seems like solid newer user, Confluxx as well, although Clearly isnt new i think hes underrated and is such a good builder. But after that I don't see anyone that Ive really been impressed with.

What advice would you give to newer players?
HAHAH DONT LISTEN TO WOA (BAN ME PLEASE) THEY ARE MEANIES. No but seriously just keep a positive attitude and watch the better players play and ak questions read on on the smog dex and watch great ou players replays and try and understand why they do things. Going on youtuber and watching Chimpact Jamvad and Blunderr is a great way to get an explination on why certain plays should be made. And if someone tell you ur shit on ladder just let it driver u to be better.

What are you looking forward to in Gen 7?
More broken pokemon

To finish things off, could you share a team with your favorite type and playstyle and give a short explanation for it?
Ya you would want to slurp team off the best smh.
hoopa dank memes (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magician
EVs: 88 Atk / 168 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Energy Ball
- Hyperspace Hole
- Hyperspace Fury
- Gunk Shot

flinch me (Mandibuzz) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 68 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Defog

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Fang

teetime glack (Tyranitar) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

septicus has cancer (Sableye) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 136 SpD
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Confide
- Taunt

Cacturne @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Giga Drain
- Dark Pulse
- Spikes
- Spiky Shield

Standard dark with cacturn for water. I gave this to Wanka for MPL and he ended up winning that match. I honestly havent used it much but it is a cool team were u can stack a few different hazards then weaken everything down and try and win with sharpedo or hoopa.

Well that concludes this interview, feel free to ask your questions down below!

Last edited:

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You build lots of really cool teams. If you had to pick your 3 favorite (monotype or some other tier), what would they be?

(Don't want importables or anything, just a general description and why that team makes the list)

Seo.

Nice guys always finish last...
Top 5 mono players this meta?

which typing are u looking forward to having in gen 7?

Mq

It's Megaqwer's Time!
Do you think that shedinja could have been good if M-sab was not banned?
The very first type you used in monotype?

Sabella

formerly Booty
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
What do you think of the prospect of suspect testing Hoopa-U again?
As of now i think its perfect where its at. Its offensive capabilities are kinda insane but i think its probably best to wait for gen 7 before any more bans

Reactions: 6ti

Sabella

formerly Booty
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
You build lots of really cool teams. If you had to pick your 3 favorite (monotype or some other tier), what would they be?

(Don't want importables or anything, just a general description and why that team makes the list)
This a good question especially for newer players looking forward to answer and i will include importables idt i can explain properly without the user seeing the teams.

Sabella

formerly Booty
Top 5 mono players this meta?

which typing are u looking forward to having in gen 7?
Deff the poison fire type that looks sicks as hell and my fav 5 are wyn paleo rnbs balto and lycan. They are the bst players imo.

Sabella

formerly Booty
Do you think that shedinja could have been good if M-sab was not banned?
The very first type you used in monotype?
I think it could have been an issue for alot of unprepped teams. Bery first mono i used was psychic. So many options and all of my fav pokemon were psychic types

Reactions: Mq

Sabella

formerly Booty
How do you feel the metagame could be improved?
Hmm Im not really sure atm I think scpinion and the staff have done an above and beyond job at making all the improvements we asked for within his reach. I think monotype having its own sub forums is amazing because of how large it has gotten. And i think all the forum threads like this one where u can pick some of the best players brains is great as well. I do understand that people say our metagame is a bit stale but i think building outside the norm is good way to try and make it less boring. I know myself and thorn have created this mega latias psychic that has been gaining some popularity which no one had really explored until late oras

Sabella

formerly Booty

Like I said I really like this question and I dont think Ill even be able to pick my 3 favorite of all time but I can give you three that I do really like at the moment.

Monotype (Dragon)

I made this team with the intention of using DD Fly Dragonite. While DD Fly doesnt really beat anything tht dragon normally doesnt beat besides psychic, bug and maybe kingdra rain this was a really fun team to build with Dragonite as the surprise factor. Ive also had a ton of success with it so far winning a couple of OT room tournaments on main and on ladder.

http://hastebin.com/gasefehapu.md

OU (Alakazam Bulky Offense)

This was a team I made for Balto for his wcop game vs WellIou but ended up not using and using his own. I ended up laddering with it and hit 2030 on the ou ladder peaking number 2 with a nice 87 gxe. So it is proven as a ladder team thus far and hence why it made the list. I typically play balance so this is balance build set on getting some momentum and wearing down a team and certain cores for alakazam to come in late and clean up teams.

Monotype (Flying)

http://hastebin.com/fuvidusobi.md

This is probably my favorite monotype team and my go to team. This is why this is on the list. My thought process behind this was to find a way to beat the types flying normally struggles with while also maintaining good matchups. Gyarados helps vs dragon and Psychic along with helmet Lando wearing down teams. This while probably being pretty standard is one of most successful teams. I used it most of the time to qualify for cycle 1 of the ladder tour so anyone looking for teams could grab this if they wanted.

http://hastebin.com/ozuwopeteb.md

I really liked one of your teams I witnessed utilizing a Mega Latias with Calm Mind in a tournament or ladder game a while ago, although I can't recall when exactly I think it was a Psychic team.

Can you send me the team to use before G7 even if it's a day before the release this winter? (lol I love psychic types)

And do you think that new Ghost/Fairy type might be the edge ghost mono needs to become strong again?

Sabella

formerly Booty
the ghost fairy typing would be interesting bc of its neutralitys combined with sableye mega or not in gen 7 =p and heres the team
Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind
- Roost

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Trick
- Healing Wish

Slowbro @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Scald
- Flamethrower
- Slack Off

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Blue Flare
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 224 HP / 176 SpD / 108 Spe
Careful Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Hoopa-Unbound @ Leftovers
Ability: Magician
EVs: 88 HP / 144 Atk / 24 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Thunderbolt
- Dark Pulse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)