Monotype Teambuilding Competition Week #6: Dragalge + Beedrill

Status
Not open for further replies.

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
Mega-Houndoom + Ninetales Voting Results:
BlackJak - 8
Sabella - 5
Dece1t - 1
Wanka - 4
Anttya - 1

Congrats BlackJak! You have earned yourself in the hall of fame, nice job building!. Now, onto the next week's theme!

This week's teambuilding will be based off of...

Deoxys-Defense (lack of deo d gif sorry!) and...

Hoopa!
Deo-D sets up hazards reliably and hoopa spinblocks.

Teambuilding deadline: 3/21
Voting deadline: 3/24

Happy building!

Phantom Me

Banned deucer.

Anomaly (Deoxys-Defense) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Recover
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Genei (Hoopa) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Magician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute

Violet (Gardevoir-Mega) (F) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock
- Substitute

Pyro (Victini) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Trick

Melody (Meloetta) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

StarPower (Starmie) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Reflect Type

As the theme of the competition suggests,the first member is deo-d.Its an amazing hazard setter.Stealth rock and spikes are the hazard moves,and they have amazing combination since most of the mons who ignores spikes are vulnerable to rocks.Toxic to cripple and recover if you want to stall them.
The second member is hoopa.I've never used it before, so I don't know what sets to run.Thus I be creative and used the substitute+salac berry set.Hoopa is an amazing spinblocker and Wallbreaker,combined with a boost from salac berry and a substitute, it's easy to get its job done.Moreover, if you manage to pull off a nasty plot boost, it's super hard to lose,since hoopa causes a lot of switch.Shadow ball and focus blast also has good synergy together.
The team was vulnerable to dark types,thus gardevoir was added.It hits incredibly hard with hyper voice.Also,psyshock is there to hit chansey.
My team is now vulnerable to bug types.It's also walled by specially defensive mons.Thus scarf victini was added.It hits incredibly hard with v-create and helps against bug and steel matchups.It's also my teams scarfer.
Now my team is pretty weak to ghost types.Meloetta saves me this day.It also cripples mons with serene grace,which is rather appreciated.
My team doesn't have any hazard removal,but it has victini. It's also weak to scizor and bisharp.Also,I couldn't afford a defogger since it removes my own hazards.Thus I chose defensive starmie.It helps against scizor and bisharp with reflect type,while also giving hazard removal.I hope everyone likes the team.

Deoxys-Defense @ Mental Herb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic / Spikes
- Taunt / Seismic Toss
- Recover

Hoopa @ Leftovers
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Focus Blast

Gallade-Mega (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

Gardevoir @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Healing Wish

Victini @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Blue Flare
- U-turn

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Ice Beam

This was a very interesting core to work with. While the goal of this core was to make a Hazard-Stack and Spin-Block approach, I decided to go a bit of a different route. Deoxys acts as the team's SR setter, as well as general Physical Wall/Anti Lead. Mental Herb allows it to set up against other Taunt users, which can be very useful. Hoopa I decided to use a Steelbreaker set. Unfortunately it falls just under Bisharp because of HP Fire, so I adjusted the evs to make it outspeed only adamant variants, with the rest going into bulk. The Mega I decided on for this team was Gallade, because with the layout stored in my head I was lacking good Physical Attackers, and I wanted a good con against ghost teams since Hoopa-U is out of the picture. Then I proceeded and added a rather strange Gardevoir set. I wanted a good wincon against Dark, and at the same time since this is a fairly offensive team, I thought Healing Wish support would work great. The next slot I add Victini as my scarfer, and con against Bug Teams. The last slot I added Latios since I was lacking Ice Coverage, and I began to notice the team had some trouble against Dragon. It also works as my hazard-control. You could replace this with Starmie if you'd like, but, the Dragon STAB isn't a terrible idea.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-345389363 Vs Rock
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-345390859 Vs Bug

Last edited:
Team

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Trick Room
- Seismic Toss

Hoopa @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Nasty Plot

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Healing Wish
- Heart Stamp

Meloetta @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 120 SPAtk / 14 SPDef
Lonely Nature
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hyper Voice

Starmie @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Bold Nature
- Reflect Type
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

So with this core i wanted to think outside the box alittle and come up with something fun that people probably wouldnt build. so i used rock spike trick room deo-d. this helps get up trick rooms for my hoopa to sweep late game and provides hazards for the rest of the squad. didnt want 4 support moves so seismic toss over recover. Standard Hoopa Set with nasty plot if i feel like i can over power a team early game. needed some speed and jirachi is my favorite mon rn in ou so i decided to go with rachi over victini. Healing Wish helps Deo with recovery and Meloetta in some match ups. Standard Meloetta and Gardevoir to beat most dark and ghost teams. Now i wanted hazard removal and a fire resist so i went with Utility Starmie to check bisharp aswell. Thanks for reading C;

Last edited:

Deoxys-Defense @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes

Hoopa @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Psyshock
- Hydro Pump

Gallade-Mega @ Galladite
Ability: Steadfast
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Psycho Cut
- Stone Edge

Slowbro @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic
- Slack Off

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn
- Thunderbolt
Decided to go with a Hazard Stacking Twave spam build for this core, as A: Paralysis support can afford Hoopa-C several set-up opportunities with SubCM and B: Hoopa can spinblock hazards for the team, as spin is really common on any non flying mono. Starmie keeps opposing hazards from getting up, and blasts any switchins with its fairly good coverage. Gallade basically wins the Steel matchup (other than Skarmory which I'll get to in a moment) which is very nice as HO steel is absolutely everywhere in both tours and the ladder. Stone Edge is to have a nice coverage vs MonoBug, which could currently cause issue. Slowbro is the team's Physical wall, most notably providing some form of soft check to a fair amount of Mega Scizor variants, those being ones lacking Bug Bite. It also adds another T-waver for Rachi and Hoopa to abuse. Lastly is my just about standard ScarfRachi, with one key difference: Tbolt to lure Skarmory. This takes a massive amount of pressure off the team, as Skarm will be limited to at best two hazards (if the player is good two layers of spikes but people like to set rocks still). Jirachi is especially sinister on this team as the Para-spam + Rachi flinch chance is

Ticken

Lotad & Bulbasaur Enthusiast
is a Top Tutoris a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host
B101 Leader

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Spikes

Hoopa @ Salac Berry
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Victini @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Quick Attack

Gallade-Mega @ Galladite
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Shadow Sneak

Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Trick
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

I just decided to put random pokemon on the team and hoped they had synergy like all my other teams.
Deo-D - Obviously have to use it, this pokemon is great at putting down some hazards while taking some hits to slow down an opponent or stop another pokemon's hazards from affecting me. There really isnt much to be said about Deo-D because of its one dimensional usage.
Hoopa - This pokemon was the last set I put because I did not know if I wanted a TR team or not. until I see more usage this is the best set that works on it with the dual stab and the Salac berry to boost it's speed. It can also play some mindgames with threats.
Victini - I chose this Victini set because the team was super Volcarona weak and this set beats any Volcarona not at +2 once Victini is sent out. It does well against steel teams which can be annoying to battle. It also gives this team another priority user outside of Mega Gallade which could be very beneficial against sash sweepers.
Mega Gallade - Very simple to understand why this is here. It is a strong mega that can sweep teams when used at the right time because of it's fast speed. You can make it 4 attacks or the suggested SD set to help sweep slower teams. It helps a lot against opposing Psychic teams and can take a Crunch from a Mega Sharpedo if at full HP if I remember correctly.
Starmie - When I built the team I thought hazards and opposing ground teams would be very annoying to the team hoping Starmie could help with those issues. You can run either Natural cure or Analytic but I do Natural Cure for a Status Absorber. It can also do well against Dragon teams or even Flying teams.
Jirachi - Last member of the team is Jirachi because i thought Fairy woud be annoying and this could help weaken teams for Mega Gallade or Starmie after the hazards and the hax Jirachi imposes. I was not sure if I wanted Healing Wish, Ice Punch, or Zen Headbutt/Heart Stamp. I decided Healing Wish for a different pokemon if Jirachi didn't have a good match up.

This was just a brief RMT for the team. I have not tested this team yet so I may add some stuff in the future if I do test it.
Enjoy~

Last edited by a moderator:

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave

Hoopa @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 8 SpD / 248 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- V-create
- Blue Flare
- U-turn
- Bolt Strike

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Gallade-Mega @ Galladite
EVs: 168 Atk / 88 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam

This core was very interesting and it was pretty fun to build around. The team is very agressive and the main point is to keep pressure on the opposing team while dealing constant damage with hazards. For this reason I went for the standart Deoxys-D, which is a pretty good lead because it guarantees hazards will be put in the enemie's field while also preventing slower leads for putting their own hazards.
Hoopa, the star of the team! I wanted to try out something different and I think specs Hoopa was what I was looking for. With choice specs it reaches 675 SpA and with it's good coverage can break walls easily. Latios can help hoopa's speed issue with tailwind, which can be used as a last effort to let a another teammate clean up. Victini is a strong revenge killer , helps out against bug which is a very hard match-up and also gives the team some speed that doesn't rely on tailwind.
This team needed a dark type check and gallade filled up the role perfectly, with the customized evs it will never be OHKO'd by Mega Gyarados after a dragon dance and Mega Sharpedo's crunch, while the decrease evs in it's attack only make a slight difference in damage output.
This team was very weak to hazards and with them in factor, some threats will be deadly so I added starmie to keep the offensive style of the team while also offering hazard removal.

akaFila

butterscotch love

Mew @ Expert Belt
Ability: Synchronize
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 52 Atk / 204 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball

Gallade @ Galladite
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Psycho Cut
- Will-O-Wisp

Slowbro @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wonder Room
- Scald
- Toxic
- Slack Off

Deoxys-Defense @ Red Card
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Seismic Toss
- Wonder Room

Hoopa @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hyperspace Hole
- Energy Ball
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball

Le Wonder Room Ab00se:
Hazards Lead: DeoD
Wonder Room Setters: DeoD, Slowbro
The main core of mons that'll take defensive advantage of WR consist of Gallade, Slowbro, and Hoopa. Originally I had HoopaU here in place of the regular as it handles the role much better, but Hoopa still has the bulk to take advantage of a Wonder Room + Assault Vest combo. Mega Gallade has a bulky set with investment dumped into SpDef along with making use of Bulk Up + WoW. Slowbro is just a standard Defense dump who will help to keep the room up when needed.
Strictly offensive members of the team are going to be your Mew and Gardevoir. Expert Belt and Scarf respectively. Scarfvoir is necessary for the dark matchup, and the team lacks any actual speed outside of 100 base Mew. My Mew chosen Mew set is just meant to fuck with players and take names. The standard, bulkier Mew sets could easily be used here instead for an extra Room setter and to further the overall bulk of the team, but gotta go fast.

Last edited:

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion

Deoxys-Defense @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave

Bronzong @ Colbur Berry / Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion
- Zen Headbutt

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

Hoopa @ Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock

Reuniclus @ Colbur Berry / Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Slowking @ Colbur Berry
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Scald
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock

Ok so, the team I cooked up is a trick room psy build. I glanced over some of the teams and I didn't see anyone build around OTR psy so I decided to give it a wack. It matches up well against a lot of offsenive builds and can be extremely effective in situations where other psy builds wouldn't.

Obliga lead Deo ofc. Gets em up and keeps em off. I tossed a rocky helmet on it to make it easier for whatever mon I send in next to revenge my opps lead and T wave is good utility to stop initial threats. Bronzong is generally an early game TR setter with its access to explosion. Eats a hit, booms, and lets garde and hoopa come in to start hammering away. Speaking of which, as hinted at, garde and hoopa are the main wall breakers in the team. Gardevoir is an absolute menace on OTR builds because it allows it to run a +Spa nature which gives it an even greater damage output then it already has. The max hp also is really nice allowing it to take priority moves better, mainly something like a bisharp sucker punch or a medicham bullet punch. Hoopa also merits insane wall breaking prowess while also being able to run max hp to help with longevity. I decided not to run a -speed nature or give it 0 ivs because I wanted it to be able to outspeed a majority of walls outside of trick room so im not EXTREMELY reliant on TR to break things. Reuniclus and slowking act as more later game Trick room setters and they also have an offensive presence.

Other notes: Life orbs can be ran over colbur berry on zong and reun if you prefer more wall breaking power out of them. The team as a whole gets ravaged by a well played scizor so thats unfortunate but It has a decent matchup against a majority of types so I guess I'll accept losing to scizor in order to cover more things.

Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/monotype-347873793 decent ladder battle I had vs water. Garde just eats everything

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
Hey everybody! The voting round will now begin :) (if it was not clear, click "Team" by each username to view the respective team.)

Voting rules:
1. You may NOT vote for yourself however it is encouraged to vote for others!
2. You MUST vote for 2 teams (maximum)!​
I got 8 total teams so I'll end the building for this week. Here are the list of teams:

Phantom Me Team
Dece1t Team
AV8 Team
Peef Rimgar Team
Ticktick Team
Zukushiku Team
akaFila Team
Wanka Team

You may now vote!
Voting Deadline: 3/25

lax

cloutimus maximus
RBTT Champion
Deoxys-D + Hoopa-C Voting Results:

Congrats Ticken! You have earned yourself in the hall of fame, nice job building! Now, onto the next week's theme!
This week's teambuilding will be based off of...

Crawdaunt and...

Gyarados!
Crawdaunt is the main wallbreaker and gyarados is able to provide a much needed fighting + bug resist!

Teambuilding deadline: 4/2
Voting deadline: 4/5

Happy building!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)