Monster Hunter Tri

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Format: Wii exclusive

Release Date: April 20th (USA), April 23rd (EUR)

Official Website: http://www.capcom.com/monsterhunter/

I didn't see a thread for Monster Hunter in the first 10-11 pages, so I thought I'd just make a thread to discuss it as it's out in the near future. I've personally never played Monster Hunter before, but I'm so excited for this. Nintendo have actually done a lot to try and make this a success. Speaking with the team to create a new Classic Controller, ridding of Friend Codes for online play, making online play free for players in the US and Europe, and adding the Wii Speak feature. You can buy the game on its own, bundled with the new controller, or bundled with Wii Speak, the new Controller, and a limited edition figure.

Trailers
Debut Trailer
TGS 2008: Trailer
Control Method Interview
Japanese Trailer 3
Claymation Chacha Trailer
Japanese Preparation Trailer
Japanese Welcome Trailer
Opening Cinematic
Japanese 4 Days to Launch Trailer
Japanese 3 Days to Launch Trailer
Japanese 2 Days to Launch Trailer
Japanese 1 Day to Launch Trailer
Japanese Launch Trailer
Online Intro Cinematic
Boat Intro Cinematic

Gameplay
Gameplay Trailer 1
Gameplay Trailer 2
Dino Gameplay Trailer
Gullet Slashing Gameplay Trailer
Gameplay Trailer 3
Demo Gameplay 1
Demo Gameplay 2
Japanese Demo Quest Selection Gameplay
Japanese Demo Dino Gameplay
Online Quest Gameplay
GC 09: Underwater Hunt Gameplay
TGS 09: New Sword Gameplay (Cam)

TV Spots
Japanese TV Spots 1, 2 & 3
Japanese TV Spots 4
Japanese TV Spots 5
Japanese TV Spot 6
Japanese Waggle TV Spot
Japanese Living Room TV Spot
Japanese Living Room TV Spots Part 2
Japanese Snacks TV Spot
Japanese Great Beasts TV Spot
Japanese Web Commercial
Japanese Alternate Web Commercial
Japanese Line Dance TV Spot

Featurettes
Japanese Sound FX Recording Featurette
Japanese Orchestra Recording Featurette
Producer Interview
GC 09: Western Release Interview
TGS 09: Ryozo Tsujimoto Interview

Previews/Reviews
GameTrailers Video Preview
ONM Preview
IGN Preview
Nintendo Life Preview

Background Info

Monster Hunter Tri is the 3rd console installment in the Monster Hunter series, released on August 1 2009 by Capcom. Early in development, the game was planned for PlayStation 3, but budget costs caused development to switch to Wii. Before release, a demo of Monster Hunter Tri was included with Japanese copies of Monster Hunter G. A special bundle was also released on release featuring the game bundled with a black Wii console and a Classic Controller Pro. On August 3, 2009, Capcom issued a press release confirming the game will be released in North America and Europe.

Gameplay

The game requires you to take on quests of all shapes and sizes. From gathering materials to slaying wyverns, there are all sorts of quests on offer. The three types of quests that are available are Gathering (go out into the field, find all sorts of materials and bring them to the big red box at base camp), Slaying (track down a target monster and knock it to oblivion) and Capturing (like Slaying quests, but instead you must weaken the target to a certain extent, catch them in a trap and tranquilize them).

As you complete quests, you can use the reward money to help purchase bigger and better weaponry to take on bigger and better monsters. Some materials, however, can only be obtained by carving them off dead monsters, mining, etc.

A new addition to the gameplay is underwater. In previous games, your hunter seems aquaphobic, but now you can swim to the deepest depths. This obviously means that a whole new way of playing is revealed (including the need for air), which'll lead to some very satisfying moments. When exploring dark areas, your hunter may also whip a lantern for light and protection.

As usual, the game will offer online play, where you team up with three other hunters to take on quests, some of which are only available online. In Japan, this is the first Wii game where you pay for the online experience (a monthly fee of Wii points). Fortunately, this fee only exists in the Japanese version. Also, this is the first Wii game not to use the dreaded Friend Code system, instead meeting your party at the online pub.

This looks super good, I've had my sights on it ever since my girlfriend introduced me to it a year or so back. The worlds look amazing and I'm sure it'll be super fun to explore as well as hunt. The monsters themselves look super good too, I'm very excited.

As for online, it may be a reason to buy a wiispeak microphone but I'm not sure yet, it depends on how many people will be using them and if my girlfriend is going to get one, she'll probably be who I'll play this with the most >.>

Havak

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So, is like, seriously no one getting this? Or doesn't already have it? :/ I can't wait to get it on Friday..

I am definitly considering getting this, if it weren't for the online part on its own. It looks really cool, I'm just afraid it will be quite repetitive and thats been bugging me a bit. Anyone who has it that can state otherwise?

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
i just got mine in the mail (gamestop even included a 500 wiipoint card :), which was a nice surprise). i wont be able to play til tonight though.

(the black pro controller looks sexy btw)

Havak

Awesome. I pre-ordered at GAME when I picked up HeartGold & SoulSilver, but I've decided to not get that now - as it was a pre-order for the Game + Classic Controller Pro at a cost of £60. I went on the website today and saw that online, the Collector's Edition, with the Game, Wii Speak, Classic Controller Pro, Monster Figurine, and Treasure Chest Box was reduced to £50. So, I pre-ordered that online a few hours ago and should get it on release, if not earlier.

Looking forward to it.

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
ok, i just played this for a solid 9+hours straight (unintentionally, mind you) so i played enough to dole out my likes and dislikes and shit.

firstly, its one of the best looking wii games out, and the cut scenes are really engaging. there are load times, but they go by pretty quick, i found that aspect to be a non issue. the gameplay is nice, fetch quests, kill quests, etc, but its the kind of gameplay where you always saying "just one more." the controls are awkward at first but you will get you to it. i recommend changeing your control options when youre able to swim. boss battles are very fun especially when you get into that nice cat and mouse game, where youre following him all over your map and hes following you when youre off trying to heal/search for items.

so far what i disliked...
1.well the font sucks pretty bad when youre talking to someone, i hear it depends on what kind of tv you have but this should be a non issue in the day and age.
2.you can only switch weapons when youre in town which stinks, especially when youre need to kill a monster thats more easily handled with a different weapon.
3.more bag space please. hopefully more will open up as you play (your in town inventory, however, is very plentiful)
4. seemingly lack of customizable controls. i have looked too carefully, but i wish i could remap some of my buttons
5. the main weapon/armor seller sucks. she never gets inventory in. you need to craft all your gear. id rather have more stuff you can buy with lesser stats
6. my characters armor looks supremely fugly atm
7. bowguns are really expensive so ive yet to even try them out (you need to craft 3 seperate pieces to make one (not including ammo)

I got this game today, but I'm only about two hours in. I'm really enjoying it so far but I think I'm ready to go get stomped by big ass monsters instead of going through more tutorial. So far I've only used the wiimote controls (all my local stores being sold out of the bundle) and I really haven't had many issues with them at all, other then forgetting to move the camera sometimes (I think that's just me being a noob). So I'm wondering if I'm not having troubles now, will the controls still screw me over later?

Havak

I doubt it, although I haven't tried the Wii Remote controls at all yet. The Classic Controller Pro is just too good, it's the best thing I've used since the Gamecube controller.

I got this a day early as I ordered it online, I think I've played somewhere close to 10 hours by now, but I've been exploring and trying to make money / get resources rather than doing quests. Although I only have two of the 1 star quests left to do (but they involve fishing and I'm having a hard time actually figuring out how to do that).

Online was quite fun, I had a quick go with a friend doing a quest, but it's a bit difficult to locate someone unless you've already spoken with them over the phone / on an instant messager beforehand. There are loads of servers and I didn't experience any lag last night, but then again the game wasn't out in the UK at that point.

I've had no real problems with the game yet, although I will agree with Atlas that your inventory is a bit limited and being unable to change weapons in the field is a bit annoying, but in a way, more realistic. Although considering we're slaying massive monsters, it doesn't need to be that realistic ;)

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
oh wow

this looks like something i've been looking for for a long time, without really knowing exactly what it was i was after

thanks for this compilation of trailers, in particular, havak. i might take my wii back to university with me to the new flat and hook this up in the summer

you're absolutely right about the visuals, atlas - for wii it looks stunning

Auugggggh I've just killed my first Great Jaggi, the rush of the hunt and the satisfaction of the kill was one of the greatest things I've gotten out of a video game before. Seeing it limp away from me and try to sleep in it's lair as I sneak up to deliver the finishing blow... there is nothing like it.

Any ways, I was wondering if anyone know where I can get some gluehoppers, I need like a thousand of them for armourcraft.

My favorite weapons so far are the lance and the sword+shield, the blocking is nice and both of the weapons attack fairly quickly (although the evade for the lance kinda sucks)

I was a huge fan of MHF and MHF2, and I'm really pumped for this one. I've never known anyone else to have MH, so online play looks like its gonna be awesome.

6. my characters armor looks supremely fugly atm
Don't worry, you get badass stuff later.

The Wii is going to totally break me this year.

Still have to get this, from what I've heard the online is awesome and the Classic Controller Pro is the best Nintendo controller since the Gamecube.

The SPrinkLer

Banned deucer.
Oh my fucking god I love monster hunter. I put over 1000 hours easily into all the series and it's fucking amazing. I really don't like the wii though so Im sad :( but I'll probably try it. :)))

I've ignored the series so far but a 9.3 on IGN? I mean, they're handing 9's out like crazy right now but for good reasons. So I'm definitely going to have to look into this game.

Seriously, this is a badass game, especially for the wii. I love the black pro controller and the graphics. I also love how there's no auto-targeting or pausing to heal so it's not as easy.

I've played past Monster Hunter titles on the PSP and it truly can keep you occupied for hours. I do have a Wii but I'm not home most of the time and my parents hog the Wii... :pirate: I really want to use an actual controller to play this game (the PSP controls are playable but your left hand tends to cramp up after playing for long sessions).

So I just played my first online quest, I murdered a Great Jaggi (by myself, everyone else in the city was on quests) and I was wondering if anyone else noticed that the online quests seem to be quite a bit harder then their offline counterparts? Is it just me being bad at this game?

Havak

That's true, all monsters are slightly more difficult to kill when you play online. This is because you can hunt in groups of four and defeat them more easily. There are also far more Quests online, but I've only nearly finished all of the 1-star Quests online.

Offline, I've been playing quite a lot, when I can. I've completed all of the 1-star and 2-star Quests, and have two more to do on the 3-star. However, I went in under-prepared to try and capture the Qurupeco last night, and I got my ass well and truly handed to me when I ran out of Sonic Bombs and it called for help from... You guessed it, a Rathian. Which I believe is the female counterpart of the Rathalos, two of the most dangerous monsters in the offline game. They're referred to as the King and Queen of the Wyverns.

I have a mixed set of armour at the moment, as I didn't have enough parts from Qurupeco hunts to make the full set. So, IIRC I have the Ludroth Armour Helm, the Alloy Coil (waist armour) and the rest of the set Qurupeco - all levelled up to level 3. My weapon is forged from the body of a Great Jaggi, as I've preferred the speedy attack that the Sword and Shield offer to the power of the other weapons I've tried thus far. (I also have a Bone Axe, and a Buster Sword, both of which are easily three times as strong as my current weapon, but a hell of a lot slower and I feel too sluggish using them).

I've played over 40 hours... So me having done so few Quests probably seems odd. But I've also been farming a lot of goods to make sure I'm fully stocked on the harder-to-find items, and have plenty of Herbs / Blue Mushrooms / Honey to make Mega Potions. I usually go and carry 10 Mega Potions, 10 Potions, 10 Raw Meat, my BBQ, 10 Might Seeds, 10 Felvines, 20 Whetstones, a Pitfall Trap, a Shock Trap, and a few other things when I go to face some kind of big monster. Just in case I need them. I farmed some Might Seeds and they've been a Godsend in allowing me to have increased attack for a while. I've also spent a lot of time earning more money and resources, so I always have enough for whatever I need in the future.

Some of us should do a hunt together online at some point, I use my Smogon username for Monster Hunter.

Online is an absolute blast, there are so many good hunters around and even the not so good hunters know how to stay alive most of the time. I'm HR 8 right now, but I'm not sure how to get to HR 9, it says I'm not eligible. I've been spending most of my time online. I've killed two barroths with a team, and I've beaten most of the 1* quests. I also teamed up and killed lagiacrus in the arena.

So far I've only been working on my lance, I'm finally getting pretty good with it. Current equipment is the Ludroth armour set and the spiral lance. Does anyone know how to get mega demondrugs?

We should get together sometime and play online.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)