moves set tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always been a big fan of the pkmn games, though I've only resently gotten into the competitive aspect of D/P (after having my ass handed to me by jeeves). He's helped me a little with picking out my team and there natures, but I still need some help picking a move set for my team.

heres my team:

starmie (utility)

snorlax (special wall)

salamence (special sweeper)

rhyperior (physical wall)

togekiss (? needs a strategy)

aerodactyl (pyhsical sweeper)

I know that I'm knew but I really hope to get into comeptitive pkmn

my friend code is 3394 0042 2461, thanx for the help!

I'm new to competitive play as well. But I think you're making your team backwards. You need to find what moves you would like to work together, then find a Poke that has the moves you desire. If you're focused on OU play, you're most likely going to have to make some compromises.

Here's where Typing comes into play. I did a similar thing when i picked Gliscor for my team. I thought his typing was interesting, and I saw a lot of potential for him to be a physical sweeper. As I;ve read more on Smogon, I've realized he would be better as a Physical wall and possible SS passer. Well now this means I need a poke with Sandstream, which works because now I have an open spot for a Physical Sweeper (Hippodown, Tyranitar), AND I have a Physical Wall to set him up with SS.

Essentially what I'm saying is, design your team around what you want them to do, not who you want to use. This is a fatal mistake made by many people who post in the RMT forum.

This thread will be closed soon.

Search the RMT forums for the Pokemon you want to use and look at other people's movesets to get an idea for yourself.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Backseat modding in the house! ...Stop doing that.

Essentially what I'm saying is, design your team around what you want them to do, not who you want to use. This is a fatal mistake made by many people who post in the RMT forum.
Actually, I don't think that's a bad start. Pick a pokemon you like, think kicks ass, or whatever. Start building around that pokemon. Cover its weaknesses and play to its strengths. Once you have 4-5 pokemon, use the last slot or two to account for any major weaknesses your unfinished team has; Gyarados weakness? Fill one of those last slots with something to counter it well, like a Tpunch Dusknoir.

The problem is when you just pick six random pokemon and try to mash them together. "Well I like Charizard and Infernape and Houndoom, let's use all of them on the same team!" That doesn't work so well.

You have a major Rock weak, as half your team is flying. Most things with rock also carry ground, and coming from say, Donphan or Swampert (who are extremely common), will take a dent out of Rhyperior's health. Starmie will cover them, though.

See, you need a team that covers it's bases and supports each outher, like when I'm building a team, usually I decide on a pool of pokemon I can use, then decide what I want the pool to do, then I pick the ones from the pool that fufill the roles I've set forth without having a major, say, Azelf weak, or Gyara weak.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
First off team rates go in the RMT subforum. Secondly, we do not make teams for you or pick their movesets/natures/EVs. We will give opinions on full and complete teams only. You the trainer need to put forth a bit more of an effort to come up with movesets. If you're unsure, we have a huge collection of articles written in the Analysis subforum about a lot of good pokemon plus this board has discussion threads about pretty much every pokemon. Use the search function to find what you're looking for. You can also check the RMT subforum for ideas and Jumpman's huge list of threats for other ideas. But please but forth more of an effort than "here's 6 pokemon tell me what moves to use."

And people please no mini-modding... we get to these threads when we get to them. You're not helping any by saying "oh this will or should be closed."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)