My First OU team

Alright, I use this team in X/Y competitively. I don't care if anything has to come in or out or if any moves need to be changed. My only request is that both Dragonite and Charizard X stay it.

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X

Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw

The Deadly Sweeper. Allow two dragon dances and consider yourself out for the count. While my initial impression of Charizard X was lackluster, he has the bulk to take a hit and get in a dragon dance or two and wreck an entire team.

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy

Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Claw

The Not-So-Adorable second round sweep. So you took out Charizard with your dragon buster? Wonderful! Have this free sweep on this next dragon... and what's a weakness policy? After a x2 attack boost, your stuck battling one of the most ruthless sweepers that this game has to offer. Think you can sweep Dragonite with your ice shard mamoswine? Allow me to roost to your priority move while I get my double attack boost. Incredible bulk allows this little guy to leave my opponent crying.

Starmie @ Leftovers

Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 32 Def / 248 HP / 4 SAtk / 224 Spd
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

So you thought you'd prevent that Charizard switch in with a Stealth Rock? Rapid spin! Starmie also possesses the ability to take out Rock types, Fire types, Fighting types, and almost all of the huge threats my sweeping trio of Magnezone, Dragonite, and Charizard.

Clefable @ Leftovers

Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 192 SDef / 252 HP / 64 Def
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power

So you took out my Starmie and set up 3 layers of spikes and a Stealth Rock? Excellent, only... that can't hurt Clefable at all. Maybe you should try to nullify those leftovers with a nice Toxic or Will-O-Wisp... only those won't hurt at all. Watch my opponent cry as they somehow let me get my way to x4 Def x4 SpD and turn what originally appeared as a wall into a slow-but-steady sweep.

Sableye @ Focus Sash

Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Night Shade
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

The wildcard. The sweeper breaker. Priority Will-O-Wisp nullifies an offensive threat and makes Clefable an easy sub in and let's it start building up while my opponent now cannot switch to a wall nor switch to Toxic staller, slowly letting Clefable build its defenses and ultimately- its power. Oh, and would you like a shell smash/quiver dance with that Cloyster/Smeargle? That's unfortunate, for you've been taunted.

Magnezone @ Air Balloon

Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

The piece that I searched to complete this build. Magnezone can eliminate Steel types that threaten my wall, all while eliminating Water and Fairy types as well. The final piece of the trio.

Any criticism, advice, or anything else would be appreciated. AGAIN, I am not scared to remove or switch out anything. I want to win.

So while I love megazard-x and dragonite, using them as your 2 sweepers does lead to some redundancy, with both of them packing fire/dragon coverage and a dragon typing. Since you mentioned that these two pokes are non-negotiable, I'll try to make the most of them.

Starmie is a great mon, but when you have a pokemon that massively MASSIVELY hates stealth rocks like charizard or dragonite (or...both), I think having defog would be much more reliable. There are so many ghosts running around this gen that spin blocking has never been easier. And starmie, even with recover and bulky build, is no tank, and has to be careful switching into things. The problem is that most defog users are flying or dragon, which you really don't want more of on the team. I would say your best bet is skarmory, who gives you defog and phasing (and a hell on a physical wall). As for losing that water stab...Replace clefable with azumarill. Clefable isn't terrible, but no competent opponent is ever going to let clefable power up, common phasing pokemon like skarm, heatran, and hippowdon will come in immediately and send her packing. Or they'll send in mega lucario or scizor and swords dance into a bullet punch, and then proceed to sweep the rest of your team (the above two scenarios happen every time I play someone with clefable...every...single...time). Azumarill gives you better stab and a bit more offense (you could also replace clefable with a good wall breaker a la choice band terrakion, or a revenge killer like alakzam to combat your lack of speed)

Sableye is one of my favorite pokes, replace night shade with knock off (trust me, you'll never go back once you've tried it) and he's gtg. I like magnezone here, he plays a valuable role of steel wall removal while also handling mawile, which could give your team problems. The biggest issue you have is a lack of speed (besides prankster). If they can get a bit of prior damage on you, something like talonflame or a choice scarf sweeper will light you up (choice scarf garchomp will outspeed charizard even after a dragon dance boost, and commonly runs/predicts poison jab to nail fairies). You just have to make sure you keep sableye alive long enough to cripple any such threats!

Should i run belly drum or choice Azumarill?

edit: Skarmory cannot run Defog in Pokemon X/Y
Also, if it could better my team, I could get rid of Dragonite or Charizard

Last edited:
Skarmory can for sure have defog in x/y, I've been using it on showdown for months :D I would try both variants of azumarill and see which fits your team best, I've heard good things about both (although people seem to prefer choice variants).

Oh I see what you mean, it's an in-game team. you can simply transfer one via pokebank (assuming you have black/white)

I would consider giving dragonite dragon dance over roost, if you are trying to get in a better sweep. plus it can almost guarantee you out speed the opponent

Leftovers would probably be more prefered sableye, leftovers recovery on sableye is frustrating and makes lots of people rage quit

Sturdy on magnezone is definetly better. Sturdy enables you to stop sweepers an hit back harder. I can almost guarentee you it will benefit you way more than magnet pull will

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)