ORAS PU My First PU Team

|
|
|
|
|

Hey guys, I've been playing Showdown for a few months now and I've predominantly spend my time in Mono. I've however branched over to PU and I've gotta say I'm really enjoying it. To be honest, most of my team I just chose at random and I kept what I liked and took off what I didn't. This is what I've settled down with after a couple dozen matches.

The Team:

Camerupt @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Roar​

Camerupt is what I use as my lead and, honestly, is probably my least favorite pokemon on this team. He's the team's only ground type, putting a check on Electric mons, and also a fire type to provide that coverage. The only reason I lead with him is because of stealth rock and I'm completely open to changing to another mon. Lava Plume and Earth Power are his two most powerful STABs while Roar both gets rid of hard to take out pokemon as well as deals damage once stealth rock is up

Mr. Mime @ Life Orb
Ability: Filter
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psyshock
- Taunt
Mr. Mime is my team's Special Attack powerhouse. Nasty plot sky rockets SpA while Dazzling Gleam and Psyshock are both SpA STAB moves while Psyshock gives the extra bonus of taking in physical defense instead of special, giving increased coverage. Taunt isn't often used and is predominantly only there to prevent walls. I've been thinking of using encore, but since Mime usually comes in late game I'm not sure how useful that'd be.

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Confuse Ray
- Hex
- Snatch
The newest addition to the team (and therefore the least tested for me). Will-O-Wisp and Confuse Way are two strong ways to stall the opponent, Hex is a good STAB that doubles in power with the burn from Will-O-Wisp, and I've honestly haven't tested out Snatch yet but it will be predominantly used to prevent setups/heals, etc. I used to have taunt, but its slow speed will let the opponent get out a set up/status anyways. I may switch back, not sure

Rampardos @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
The only mon I've had since the beginning. In my opinion, Rampardos is strong enough to be at LEAST in UU if not OU (and I see he's in the C category on PU, to me that's a joke). Rampardos is an all-out attacker with an impressive move spread. Rock slide, plus STAB, plus Sheer Force, plus Life Orb = sweep (most of the time). I may use maybe a choice band instead of life orb, however I like the availability of coverage moves Rampardos has.

I'm thinking of giving Rampardos stealth rock, leading with him, and switching Camerupt to someone more effective (Electabuzz maybe? Just throwing it out there).

Huntail @ White Herb
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Waterfall
- Sucker Punch
- Ice Fang
Probably my most clutch performer on this team. Shell Smash + White Herb sets Huntail up for some effective sweeping. Waterfall and Ice Fang have amazing coverage while Sucker Punch is pretty powerful itself not to mention it being a priority move. If there's one Mon I want to have left on my team in the clutch, it's Huntail.

Go Go Gadget (Gogoat) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Horn Leech
- Milk Drink
- Toxic
Gogoat is usually the X-factor in my matches. Bulk Up and Horn Leech make a devastating set up while Leftovers, Milk Drink, and Horn Leech keep Gogoat alive versus pretty much everything that doesn't have a super effective move/status condition. Leech Seed used to fill the fourth spot however I got into 2 battles where I was left with Gogoat and couldn't do anything at all (once against a Shedinja and once against another Gogoat) so I switched Leech Seed to Toxic just to get rid of that problem.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi, glad you are enjoying PU

The team looks solid, though its biggest issue is that it is quite slow for a predominantly offensive team. To fix this, I recomend you try Choice Scarf Rotom-f over Rampardos, as NP Mr Mime is already a very effective wallbreaker, so I don't think having a second with Rampardos is necessary, however a scarf like Rotom allows you to revenge kill big threats to this team such as physical Floatzel and opposing Huntail.

Next, I think you should try Quilladin over Gogoat, as the would really appreciate more physical bulk, and Quilladin checks big threats to this team like Machoke and offensive Relicanth. Additionally, it provides Spikes support which really helps Huntail in sweeping by wearing down the opposing team and gives your team a very nice matchup with stall, as NP Mime + Spikes has an amazing matchup.

Removing Gogoat makes you notably weaker to special Water-types, so I recomend you use Politoed over Misdreavus. Right now Misdreavus doesn't do too much for your team, as it already is quite specially bulky, and that set gets warn down very fast without recovery. Politoed on the other hand gives you a very reliable switch in to stuff like Floatzel and Simipour, which threaten your team a lot if you choose to change Gogoat.

As for sets, I think you should try Focus Blast over Taunt and Soundproof over Filter on Mr Mime, as it is already beating walls quite easily, and Focus Blast allows it to hit Steel-types such as Probopass along with OHKOing Audino at +2, whereas Soundproof helps this team take on Choice Scarf Chatot. Also, try Ice Beam over Ice Fang on Huntail as most relevant targets such as Gourgeist-XL and Quilladin get hit a lot harder.

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Quilladin @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Seed Bomb
- Synthesis

Politoed @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Electric
- Encore or Toxic

Mr Mime
Taunt ---> Focus Blast
Filter ---> Sound Proof

Huntail
Ice Fang ---> Ice Beam
Adamant Nature ---> Naughty Nature
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe ---> EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

Hope I helped!

Hi Captain, neat little team here, really like how well everything synergizes.
  • However, as Anty mentioned above, your team is a bit slow for an offensively-based team. To remedy this, I'm going to recommend you change Misdreavus --> Choice Scarf Rotom-F. To begin with, your Misdreavus set is very gimmicky and unreliable, and secondly, Choice Scarf Rotom-F gives you a solid way to revenge kill Pokemon such as Floatzel effectively. You can also run Hidden Power Fighting in the last moveslot, which gives you a secondary check to opposing Rotom-F and a reliable way to take out Pawniard.
Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

• Secondly, as you do struggle with Machoke and Regice, I'm going to suggest you change Mr. Mime --> Grumpig, while also maintaining a Taunt user to help break down bulkier cores effectively. Because you now have Choice Scarf Rotom-F, Speed isn't as much of a problem, so the loss in Speed when you change Mr. Mime to Grumpig isn't too problematic.
Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave / Shadow Ball
- Taunt

• Next, I'm going to recommend you change Gogoat --> Quilladin, which gives you the bulk you need to check Golem, while also allowing you to benefit more from Roar on Camerupt, whereas otherwise you're sort of just using Roar for the sake of using it. You can also run an Adamant nature with Drain Punch, allowing you to check Pawniard to an extent, which can be nice considering Pawniard can pose as a pretty large threat to your team at +2.
Quilladin @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Drain Punch
- Spikes
- Taunt

• Lastly, I'm just going to suggest some smaller set changes to try to optimize what you get out of your Pokemon. To begin with, you should change White Herb --> Life Orb and Ice Fang --> Ice Beam on Huntail along with a Naughty nature, which is just better overall and most importantly allows you to take on bulky Grass-types such as Quilladin and Gourgeist-XL. I'm also going to recommend you change your Rampardos moveset to Rock Slide / Earthquake / Zen Headbutt / Fire Blast with 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe Naive, which is overall the best wallbreaker Rampardos set currently, with Earthquake for Stunfisk and Golem, Zen Headbutt for Machoke, and Fire Blast for bulky Grass-types, which can help you a lot with your matchup vs your opponent with Huntail.
Huntail @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Shell Smash
- Waterfall
- Ice Beam
- Sucker Punch

Rampardos @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt
- Fire Blast

Hope I helped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)