ORAS OU My First Team - Balanced Offense

This is my first RMT and the first real OU team I've used for any notable period of time. The team focuses around a bulky core with decent recovery options with balanced offense throughout.

Inscizor (Scizor) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Details: Scizor is the crux of this team, acting as a great pivot and defogger for the team. The priority of Bullet Punch allows Scizor to deal with many weakened threats as well as an answer to every non Azumarill fairy in the meta. Scizor boasts huge damage on super effective U-Turns, dealing with a lot of the pokemon Rotom-Wash struggles with, whilst maintaining momentum.

Motor (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Details: The standard defensive set for Rotom-Wash. So great at walling so much of the meta, and Will-O-Wisp is great as a lead if you can land it right. Rotom is a great answer to Talonflame, Scizor, Azumarill and Landorus-T which would otherwise cause some problems for this team. Pain Split is useful for dealing with bulky walls but I am open to switching this up for another move, potentially Thunder Wave for the ever threatening double status.

Airus (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Details: Scarfed Landorus-Therian is my MVP, every single game. Not a lot of opponents expect the scarf, and it's often enough to KO the pokemon they feel comfortable leaving in. Earthquake and Stone Edge for the obvious great coverage against the entire meta, with U-Turn to create a lovely volt-turn core with Mega-Scizor and Rotom-Wash. Hidden Power Ice is for opposing weakened Landorus-Therian and is a great surprise against Garchomp too. The scarf enables Lando to revenge kill very effectively, especially against pokemon like Excadrill, Dragonite, Alakazam, Mega Charizard X and even Keldeo with a bit of prior damage. Lando works as a great lead, as I can always get off that U-turn damage before my opponent can act.

Heat Ram (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Details: Initially, I used the offensive Heatran and was really happy with the results of Fire Blast, Lava Plume and Steel Cannon. Unfortunately, my team was getting walled too often (Chansey, Blissey etc.), and I found that some pokemon were able to set up easily on my team. I changed the set to the above and have had great success with it so far. Lava Plume is standard with 30% chance to burn and great damage with STAB + Flash Fire. Toxic + Taunt are a great pairing against pesky walls that could otherwise stall out my team.

Jelly Bee (Celebi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 240 HP / 108 SpA / 52 SpD / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Baton Pass
- Recover
- Psychic

Details: Celebi's function in this team is to act as somewhat of a Special Wall and status absorber as well as being my main counter to the likes of Venusaur, Rotom-Wash, Breloom and Keldeo. The 108 SpA EVs allow Celebi to guarantee 2HKO Mega-Venusaur with Psychic, and the 108 Speed EVs allow celebi to outspeed Max Speed Jolly Bisharp. 240 HP EVs is for 401 HP, with the rest in SpD. Baton Pass is to avoid pursuit trappers like Bisharp, but Pokemon Like Weavile. Recover is to outlast hazards and status effects before switching.

Evile (Weavile) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

Details: Weavile rounds off the team very nicely, as a very potent Revenge Killer and Pursuit Trapper. If successfully switched into Latios, Latias, Gengar, Celebi or pretty much any other Psychic type in the meta, Weavile is guaranteed a kill with his massive Attack and Speed stats. Dealing well with Dragons, Landorus-Therian and Psychic types, Weavile is an essential for my team.

Let me know if you'd like any more details on sets, items or move choices. This is my first time writing one of these so am unsure what to include!

Threats to my team and what I'm looking to deal with:
Mega Lopunny
- Mega Lopunny hits for massive neutral damage, and I don't really have a reliable fighting switch that boasts good physical bulk. My best bets are usually to hit Will-O-Wisp and Landorus' Intimidate, but it's not very reliable and can cost me a couple of Pokemon.

Mega Medicham - Same for Mega Lopunny, but almost worst.

Kingdra - Without any dragon or fairy moves on this team, I struggle to switch into a STAB Rain Boosted Kingdra and outspeed. My best options are Celebi with Giga Drain but that can only last a turn or two.

Hydreigon - Hydreigon is a tricky late sweeper I have had troubles with before.

Umbreon - Without any Fighting on this team, I struggle for big damage against Physically Defensive Umbreon. Which again can stall out my team, although I haven't faced one since I changed Heatran's set.

Quiver Dance Volcarona - I feel if Lando misses Stone Edge against Volcarona QD, then I'm screwed!

If anyone could advise on how to improve my team, that would be greatly appreciated. I will continue to update the threatlist above as I continue playing in OU.

You don't really have any wall breakers, your team relies on offense from scizor and weavile which don't "break balance stall or even bulky offense in some cases. Knock off or superpower would probably be better on scizor as your team has few pokemon that benifiet from the momentum. your team has several pivots but no strong forms of offense other than weavile. Having switch-ins to every pokemon isn't worth having no offensive pressure on your side.

Hi there! Nice team! I really like the combination of Celebi and Weavile on the same team!

You have a lot of defense, like 4 mons but I think you can afford to either get rid of something, preferably Rotom, or add an offensive mon. In any case, Rotom's slot should be used to deal with Lopunny and Medicham. I suggest, Talonflame-sword dance or otherwise. You can use the wisp set.

Talonflame @ Leftovers. Careful Nature. 248 Special Defense/252 HP/4 in whatever. You need 248 to avoid being 2hkod by Rocks.

ALso what OMG said you definitely need some heavier hitters. I would suggest getting rid of your Scizor for either a standard Life Orb T-Wave Thundurus since he's a beast, Specs Kedeo, or a Mega Lopunny of your own.

Best of luck to you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)