SV OU My first team (Rain Offense)

I've been playing casually on and off since SM, usually in other formats, but recently(a week ago) I decided to learn a little beyond "click until the enemy team dies". Rain teams have always intrigued me so I made this team looking at the meta through a window, took it on the ladder to see what happens, and made a few slight adjustments based on the meta I've seen in around the 1250-1400 range.
1689895360099.png

gl hf :) (Pelipper) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Chilling Water
- Roost

Our rain setter needs little introduction, with Hurricane and Chilling Water for STAB damage, Roost for recovery to potentially get a second rain up, and U-Turn to pivot into our main breakers. Chilling Water I've found more useful than Surf with keeping H-Samurott leads honest and getting a switch out of physical wallbreakers in the mirror or bulky offensive teams. My most common lead.
1689896422056.png
1689896442289.png

Barbenheimer (Floatzel) @ Choice Band
Ability: Swift Swim
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Ice Spinner
- Wave Crash
- Aqua Jet

Main sweeper. 252+ rain-boosted Tera Water Wave Crash shreds teams in an instant and it outspeeds everything pretty much everything. Nuff said I think, aside from personal preference for the little guy over Basculegion or Barraskewda.

1689896455283.png
1689896469572.png

Draco Meteor City (Dragonite) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 248 SpA / 252 Spe / 8 Atk
Mild Nature
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Thunder
- Hurricane

Lots of rain teams I've seen choose Zapdos as the main rain abuser, but Dragonite's coverage effectively deals with annoying physical walls like Water Absorb Clodsire, Dondozo, and Tera Water Corviknight or Great Tusk and revenge kills if needed with priority. I wasn't sure how to distribute the EVs effectively to deal with as many of these matchups as possible, which is one thing I'd personally like help with balancing.
1689899170280.png
1689899199677.png

Green Knight (Corviknight) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Def
Careful Nature
- Roost
- U-turn
- Defog
- Brave Bird

Our main defensive pivot and hazard remover with U-Turn to pivot, Roost to stay healthy, and Brave Bird over Body Press for our damage. Tanks Fire type moves in the rain impressively with this specially defensive EV set.

These 4 mons is the shell I've been using, but I didn't know what else the team needed when I built it, so these are probably the most questionable picks.

1689899134165.png
1689899153665.png

Megatron Prime (Iron Treads) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch
- Earthquake

An Electric immunity is really good for this team, and the shell's great ability to remove Ground types means it can pivot around a little easier. Entry hazard support means breaking down the pesky walls get that much easier. I don't think I need a second hazard removal in Rapid Spin and it gets spinblocked by Ghost types that aren't Gholdengo anyway so I replaced it with Steel coverage for Ice types, Tera Fairy Kingambit, etc.

1689899224218.png
1689900537831.png

Shermie (Azumarill) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Liquidation
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet

Our secondary sweeper, Dragon immunity, and our main late-game setup threat. Tera Water on this thing is even deadlier than on Floatzel, and the Fairy coverage melts Toxapex.

This team has its flaws but I'm not good enough at teambuilding or at the game in general to pinpoint specific things to change. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Nice rain team! I always love heat :dragonite: sets being used in teams. (i'm going to give you a quick rate bc i gotta go to dinner i'll come back tho and expand)

Big changes:

Swap :dragonite: for :walking wake:. I notice that your team is very weak to other weathers like sun. I know that opposing weather is always tough to deal with but you don't have anything to deal with sun except weather wars with :torkoal:. We can fix this by adding :walking wake:. Its a good counter to opposing weather (sun) and also does good with other rain teams. Its water dragon typing is very good as it provides 4x resists to fire and water. It works well in sun and rain as its signature move hydro steam gets stronger in both weathers. I recommend running a :choice-scarf: set for your team as most waking wake in sun run specs for big damage. It also adds a strong spa attacker which you need.:dragonite: can be inconsistent (eg. sun is up)

Running Wake :walking-wake:---> https://pokepast.es/57552afd9429a594

I personally don't really like :azumarill: on this team. I think that setup is good but, with hazards that might be up or no screen support on this team, I think it doesn't do very good. I feel like you are going to be sacking off this mon or getting killed/damaged too much to setup anymore. I think changing this for something like :Kingambit: or :Basculegion:or :samurott-hisui: would be better. Any of these pokemon can overwhelm a wall like :dondozo: which opens up your other teammates to Click Their stabs freely. Kingambit acts as ate game sweeper without needing setup and cutting its hp by half/25%. Its typing synergizes well with the team as fire type attacks are weakened in the rain. Its immense power is good for tearing even resists up and can get out of hand if not acted on correctly. I think a very offensive set would be good with its overwhelming power to rip up weakened teams. Black glasses and Tera dark do alot of damage. You could run Low-Kick over Iron-Head for the mirror match but Iron head is better in general for stab damage. This betters your matchup with Kingambit itself.

Strip Down, There are no resists. :kingambit:--->https://pokepast.es/3b8276556d7cf944

:samurott-hisui: acts as the same things as Kingambit does. A late-game sweeper. The difference is that it can setup hazards which can help out your other team members with the extra chip. Its attacks are also boosted in the rain making them do crazy damage. I think this would be the best option as it gets more powerful under the rain, and also sets up hazards. A weakness of this is samurott being a bit on the slower side and can only go for really strong hits when its faster. You will need to really lean on the weaker Aqua Jet for kills.

Starter doesn't mean weak :samurott-hisui: ---> https://pokepast.es/f4c2376f2a62d01d

:Basculegion: is just a really strong wallbreaker. With :floatzel: on the team already, most resists get crushed by it already. This duo of attackers can take down a wall and the other one simply cleans up the mess. Adding Basculegion just gives more instant firepower (not needing to setup) which can quickly overwhelm teams with just one water resist. A weakness of this is opening yourself more to :kingambit:. You have no really good check to it right now.

What u gonna do about the second one?:Basculegion:---> https://pokepast.es/e37bcce2313ed0db

Small changes/Notes

Swap Chilling water on :pelipper: for surf. I get that chilling water is for support, but because you are in rain, you want to maximize your damage output. Its just a better move in general.

I notice that your team is also pretty weak to :rotom-wash: and :sandy-shocks:. This pesky duo as a lead can be very hard to stop. If you go to Iron Treads to block the Volt-Switch, then Hydro-Pump does you in. Even you spd wall, :corviknight: takes super-effective damage from their volt switches/electric moves. I think its pretty hard to fix this with a very tight team, but one thing i could recommend is :Zapdos:over Corv. Its not a very good check to either of them but its the best I could think of. Another idea could be :slowking-galar: I would say use the AV set because Chilly Reception gets rid of your weather. The downside of the AV set is that it sacrifices momentum. You would just need to play around Sandy Shocks and Rotom really well if no changes where made. Tbh this team's moves are all resisted/don't do much to :rotom-wash:

This rate is getting pretty long so imma end it off here. Hope all of this helps! Go get em! :boi:

Last edited:

1LDK

Trial by fury
is a Top Team Rater
Hey, nice team, I have used that Dnite set you're running, and it's a fucking beauty of a set, now, about your team, It's pretty cool, with just a few changes we can make this run a whole smoother

Big Changes:

:corviknight: -------> :amoonguss: OR :basculegion-F:

Corviknight is a mon that is too passive for the general style that is rain, rain is generally an offensive playstyle that abuses its power, but we do have defensive options, so ill suggest you a defensive and offensive replacement for corviknight

Amoonguss @ Red Card
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Clear Smog

amoonguss is a defensive option you can use in rain that unlike corviknight, can support well its teammates, it likes rain because it weakness its fire weakness, and in return, supports the team with spore, which will sleep a target, clear smog will reset set up sweepers, which can give you some breathing room. With red card, you can also take a hit and make the set-up sweeper be forced up into a random mon, you can even chain this with spore. If you lead with it or enter on a non-attacking move, unless is knock off, you can click spore, receive an attack, and the attacker will be forced out, and the next mon will get spored, its a cool tech. With the defensive alternative explained, I'm gonna show you an offensive alternative

Basculegion-F (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Shadow Ball
- Surf
- Ice Beam

This is basculigeon female, it has Swift Swim and its a special attacker, thus, complements well your physical floatzel, its also a ghost type, which comes with a fun shadow ball that will sting most targets, you can use this in tandem with floatzel to go ham on opponents. And ice beam is always a cool side tool to have, surf is in case you don't want to miss. I suggest try both and see what's the mon you like the most

Minor changes:

on :pelipper: go with surf over chilling water, I know you're trying to go for support, but the extra power is always nice
on :iron treads:, go with rapid spin over volt switch, this will help you remove hazards since I have deleted corvi
Lastly, this is more of a personal change, but on the :dragonite: I like to go for tera flying for stronger hurricanes, while keeping a ground immunity, but electric is 100% viable on the dnite set your running

I hope you like this changes and keep making heat teams

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)