XY OU My sets are bad (peaked #3 in OU)

http://imgur.com/Id8YeSx

Only SS I had was of me at 16 in OU :( so I guess I have no proof but w.e

Ok I'm shit at both pokemon and writing anything, so we'll see how this pans out.

Wanted to make a team with manaphy, but the tail glow set is kinda lame so I made a new ev spread for the crocune set, and shortly after built a team around it.

I don't like sticking to a specific playstyle, but instead try to pick a core/slot that can deal with another popular core/playstyle instead.

^Yea that sentence made no fucking sense. Deal with it nerd.

here we go i guess

^yfw this shits on you

Manaphy @ Damp Rock/Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rain Dance
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Scald

Like i said before the team was built around "crocune manaphy." This set, although seems gimmicky and difficult to set up, is in fact quite the opposite as it can begin calm mind/ rain dance/ rest against almost the entirety of the metagame. Rain dance is a great utility in addition to 1 turn recover because of the increased power of scald and stopping sand rush drill's momentum. 160 Speed is used to outspeed 252 adamant excadrill by 1 point.​

Some important calcs that show how easy it is to set up (I'll do this later because I'm lazy as fuck)

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang

Mawile is one of my favorite pokemon (not bc lewd), but it was always garbage. Its mega-evo was a fucking godsend for me and I use it on half of the teams I make. M-Mawile is one of the few mons in the metagame that I can confidently say has the potential to annihilate any play-style. Setting up an SD late game = game over for any team, and it's wallbreaking capabilities without setting up are ridiculous.
Can't really say what 208 speed is trying to outspeed. Ironically mega mawile is a big threat to this team so I need to outspeed basically ever variant, and I can usually outspeed slow azumarills with 208 speed as well.​

Latios (M) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpDef
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power Fighting

Latios is the glue that holds this team together. It checks the two huge threats to my team (keld and chary) as well as being the fastest out of the 6 slots. Defog support is obligatory, other moves are standard as well and LO because le powa. Because Latios is so incredibly important to this team I've been considering dumping LO because I need it to have as much HP as possible, but I guess at that point I might as well just use latias. Regardless, it hits hard and checks what I need it to check.​

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

I picked ferrothorn because i have no idea how to maintain a coherent playstyle when i make a team, so this edgy prick made the cut. Rocks are obligatory and gyro ball hits stupidly hard against HO. Ferrothorn deals with sand rush and rainspam unbelievably well, too. The random 120 in SpDef gives Landorus a 43% chance to OHKO with focus blast instead of the normal 100% on full def Ferrothorns. Coupled with the shitty acccuracy I can usually get my rocks up/seed/gyro ball in a 1v1 matchup.​

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpA / 196 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake

AKA the most ghetto EV spread of all time + deosharp's worst nightmare. Adamant LO shard OHKOs thundy after rocks, ohkos landorus, LO EQ Ohkos 252hp 4def aegislash, ohkos bisharp etc you get the idea. If I manage to wear down deosharp, Mamoswine can seamlessly sweep late game. Freeze-dry is kind of lame, but can nab the rotom switch and OHKOS non megados, which happens more often than you would think.

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Knock Off
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Psychic

Gonna be completely honest with you guys at this point, It's 11PM and I'm still drunk because I had to leave early from a friend's party because my parents wanted me to leave, and at this point I don't know why I started this RMT. Landorus is literally the most standard thing in this game: it breaks walls. it basically has no switch ins that don't hate to have to deal with ferro(dragonite, lati, chansey) so there's that I guess. Coverage is standard.

PROBLEMS (Besides the fact that I'm 17 and white and my parents just don't understand)

Char-y
Keld if the player isn't retarded
Bisharp
Mawile

REPLAYS (on a few different accounts) Tried to show some variety against different playstyles

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-139061422 <---mamoswine mah boi
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-138627478
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-133881379
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-133897654
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-133797939
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-131714601
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-131369815 <---manaphy annihilation
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-133717488 <--- pt 2

Thanks for looking at the team, dunno how you or I got this far in reading it. If you have any suggestions go ahead.

IMPORT
Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang

Latios (M) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpDef
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden power Fighting

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rain Dance
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Scald

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Knock Off
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Psychic

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpA / 196 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Earthquake

shoutout to comp and everyone in the seecrit lobbu for being (BAN ME PLEASE)s

Last edited:

Mix

mahmood soldi
is a Past WCoP Champion
If the problem is mawile, replace ferrothorn with heatran, latios is a good counter for chary and keldeo. if you wish give stone edge on tran for hard hit char-y.
Great team, congratz.

i love this team and this RMT lol. grats on the peak.

although i like the idea of several possible setup conditions, i can't say i see how CM is needed on landorus. between manaphy and SD mawile your team doesn't in the least struggle with stall and you'll rarely pull off a CM cleanup v offense with lando. so i suggest knock off > CM to pop lando counters on both offense and stall (lati@s, chansey, balloonslash and spdef gliscor pre-orb, tho admittedly the latter isn't switching in much). a case for scarf or RP could even be made considering how strong your matchup v defense is and your minor speed issues but you know, you do you. pretty much any lando does work

next, roost latios is a little weird and is the only playstyle inconsistency i can really call you out on. might as well run tb for azumarill coverage or hp fight or even EQ since properly coveraged mawile runs circles around you and mawile/aegis are the most obvious switchins ever. i know latios's defensive typing is the glue of the team, but have some faith in his offensive potential. latios is such bait that he lures and double switches more often than he clicks psy/draco so you may as well use that to your advantage. if you're feeling really ambitious you can drop defog altogether for memento to ease into a mawile/manaphy sweep, since you have a mon who limit deo-d to one layer and you don't exactly loathe stealth rock yourself. this would again push your team into a more offensive momentum-based direction, so it just depends how you play.

on the ladder freeze-dry is a necessary evil gimmick, carry on.

always run leftovers > damp rock on RD manaphy imo, against slower teams you'll have plenty of time to embarrass them with alternating CMs/rests/RDs and against offense you'll never have 8 turns to do business. meanwhile leftovers lets you play defense with manaphy in the parts of the game/matchups where you can't setup

mono attack seed protect ferro is the best ferro, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. i love that ferro. dude GAINS momentum between leech seed and prediction wars/double switches, plus you need him to pivot consistently off azumarill etc, so i don't think there's any bad playstyle dissonance. rocky helmet is a bad item but everyone's wet for it so idk maybe i'm trippin.

good old smogonbird is an issue. manaphy can check it okay (even with max+ defense it doesn't like eating CB brave birds) but talonflame doesn't get checked, it gets switched into. your best bet right now is to throw something away every time it comes in or else dance around and maybe hope RD is up. i don't really know how to fix this cuz i've had a few myself but Give It Some Thought.

i love this team and this RMT lol. grats on the peak.

although i like the idea of several possible setup conditions, i can't say i see how CM is needed on landorus. between manaphy and SD mawile your team doesn't in the least struggle with stall and you'll rarely pull off a CM cleanup v offense with lando. so i suggest knock off > CM to pop lando counters on both offense and stall (lati@s, chansey, balloonslash and spdef gliscor pre-orb, tho admittedly the latter isn't switching in much). a case for scarf or RP could even be made considering how strong your matchup v defense is and your minor speed issues but you know, you do you. pretty much any lando does work

next, roost latios is a little weird and is the only playstyle inconsistency i can really call you out on. might as well run tb for azumarill coverage or hp fight or even EQ since properly coveraged mawile runs circles around you and mawile/aegis are the most obvious switchins ever. i know latios's defensive typing is the glue of the team, but have some faith in his offensive potential. latios is such bait that he lures and double switches more often than he clicks psy/draco so you may as well use that to your advantage. if you're feeling really ambitious you can drop defog altogether for memento to ease into a mawile/manaphy sweep, since you have a mon who limit deo-d to one layer and you don't exactly loathe stealth rock yourself. this would again push your team into a more offensive momentum-based direction, so it just depends how you play.

on the ladder freeze-dry is a necessary evil gimmick, carry on.

always run leftovers > damp rock on RD manaphy imo, against slower teams you'll have plenty of time to embarrass them with alternating CMs/rests/RDs and against offense you'll never have 8 turns to do business. meanwhile leftovers lets you play defense with manaphy in the parts of the game/matchups where you can't setup

mono attack seed protect ferro is the best ferro, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. i love that ferro. dude GAINS momentum between leech seed and prediction wars/double switches, plus you need him to pivot consistently off azumarill etc, so i don't think there's any bad playstyle dissonance. rocky helmet is a bad item but everyone's wet for it so idk maybe i'm trippin.

good old smogonbird is an issue. manaphy can check it okay (even with max+ defense it doesn't like eating CB brave birds) but talonflame doesn't get checked, it gets switched into. your best bet right now is to throw something away every time it comes in or else dance around and maybe hope RD is up. i don't really know how to fix this cuz i've had a few myself but Give It Some Thought.

I've been running knock off for this exact reason, was using an old pastebin thanks for reminding me. I've been using leftovers but a lot of people wanted me to use damp rock, so I just left that as an option. Talonflame hasn't been that much of a problem, but I might be testing heatran after I finish building a new team.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-139904866

Use HP Fighting Latios. Watch this replay. You will understand why. And yes DeoSharp is predictable as hell. So? use that against it! Also more special attack is needed on Mamoswine,whenever I use it fails to 2HKO Rotom and I'm forced out :/. Still really awesome team i an OU scrub like me can use it! (~#480 on ladder sucks....imo) anyway somemore suggestions,how do you take on Mega Charizard X? I see literally no way to get around it....i it gets one DD in the game is over...

between SR and RH char x has to break itself in half to KO ferrothorn so he's not in too rough shape with smart playing. plus pre DD it's checked by half the team

as for heatran i think it could fit nicely. i wouldn't replace ferro since it opens you up to too many things, but rather mamoswine. you'd struggle a bit with more with the genies (esp double genies) but you gain a strong FWG bulky offense core. specifically i'd try the offensive air balloon set to maintain momentum and give you a clutch ground-type check. since ferro sets up SR better than anything you can afford to run FB/stone edge/earth power/will-o/flash cannon or whatever coverage. also helps with mawile.

with that change i might replace SD/fire fang on mawile with sub/focus punch or just fire fang with iron head to kill mega venu after an SD; heatran takes ferro/scizor to town just fine and focus punch mawile is just as nightmarish for defense as SD anyway. i haven't tested that yet thou

Last edited:

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
To mitigate the char y weakness a bit you can run EQ [or hp fighting] on lati over defog possibly as your team isnt weak to hazards and against offense you shouldnt be switching too much anyway and throw in a colbur berry. this way you can beat the pursuit trappers and recover later on. you lose badly to pursuit aegi with char Y but thats pretty rare.

I think it's pretty much the only way to handle the char y weakness without directly replacing ferrothorn or mamoswine. If you do decide to run another mon over ferro [that doesnt use rocks] you can give rocks to lando over knock off as you handle stall and latis really well with the rest of your team.

To mitigate the char y weakness a bit you can run EQ [or hp fighting] on lati over defog possibly as your team isnt weak to hazards and against offense you shouldnt be switching too much anyway and throw in a colbur berry. this way you can beat the pursuit trappers and recover later on. you lose badly to pursuit aegi with char Y but thats pretty rare.

I think it's pretty much the only way to handle the char y weakness without directly replacing ferrothorn or mamoswine. If you do decide to run another mon over ferro [that doesnt use rocks] you can give rocks to lando over knock off as you handle stall and latis really well with the rest of your team.

Hey dude, like your videos. Gonna be as sincere as I can when I say this, but you might want to reread your post because it doesn't really make any sense. I get the jist of what you're saying with using Lati as a lure to ttar ( I think) but TTar is not a problem to this team. I don't see how EQ on Lati can beat Char-y either.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
char y is paired up with a pursuit user commonly. Latios can't beat char y if it gets pursuit trapped and dies. if it lives the pursuit via colbur berry and eqs the pursuit user it can come back in and take char y hits

Hey am pretty bad!

Overall I think this is a very solid team and considering your success with the team, it does work. However there are a couple of things you could change to optimize a few things.

Like Chimpact mentioned Zard Y/Keldeo + Bisharp/Tyranitar beats you because you rely heavily on Latios to sponge hits from those two. If you run HP Fighting you to take out Bisharp on switch and take out Tyranitar after being weakened a little bit. This help alleviate some of the pressure from Latios to handle both. I think Leftovers on Ferrothorn is a better option than Rocky Helmet because with it you give up passive recovery to get some chip damage on only a handful of physical attackers. Leftovers gives you some recovery so you don't have to rely so much on Leech Seed to heal and considering that Mega Venusaur is pretty common, Ferrothorn won't be able to leech seed it and just gets worn down. Lastly, what does the 44 HP do for on Mamoswine? I would move those EVs to speed and use Naive Nature to give you enough speed for Jolly Breloom, Diggersby, and 120 Speed Zard X.

I know its not much but the team is pretty solid as it is and I don't really want to change what's working for you. Hope this helps and good luck.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)