Resource National Dex Viability Rankings

What happened to meowscarada? Wasn't it ranked here at some point? What made it drop off, it looks like a decent enough Pokemon but I could be wrong. It has STAB Knock, lost Kingambit a while ago as an offensive check, and i think banded sets can fit Tera rock to bait and ko zapdos, moltres, and volc without risking a burn or Para. (this is not a nom btw I'm just curious)

Anyway I'd like to nominate Mega Diancie from B+ to A-, it has a useful sr neutrality compared to enamorus which matters a lot since they are really hard to remove from the field rn with gholdengo being omnipresent. Beyond that, it has great power, insane coverage in earth Power + mystical fire and a decent speed tier that lets it get the jump on stuff like non scarfed kart most notably. Diamond Storm is an incredible second stab to have for moltres, gking and volc which can check enam.

Rillaboom --> C
The Grassy Glide nerfs really hurt this mon, it was already on a downward trend but now it's just a Grass type wallbreaker with priority compared to being the great revenge killer it was at its peak. Being a pure grass type physical attacker sucks rn cause ur stab is just resisted by so much, often times locking yourself into a Grass move is a momentum drain at best and a contact Ability proc or setup fodder at worst.

Kenpwnchi

formerly Pwndkthnx
Rillaboom --> C
The Grassy Glide nerfs really hurt this mon, it was already on a downward trend but now it's just a Grass type wallbreaker with priority compared to being the great revenge killer it was at its peak. Being a pure grass type physical attacker sucks rn cause ur stab is just resisted by so much, often times locking yourself into a Grass move is a momentum drain at best and a contact Ability proc or setup fodder at worst.
Tbh, Ogerpon, overall, is just better than Rilla (unless I'm missing something).

Rillaboom --> C
u serious? rillaboom is great, its priority is ever more important in such a fast paced meta, grassy terrain is amazing vs so many eq spammers + gives healing, it can nuke stuff with wood hammer, etc.

u serious? rillaboom is great, its priority is ever more important in such a fast paced meta, grassy terrain is amazing vs so many eq spammers + gives healing, it can nuke stuff with wood hammer, etc.
It's not. The power nerf of grassy glide really shows in important match ups vs offense, which makes it far less reliable and it would have to tera itself to make up for the power loss, which heavily restricts how you build teams with it. It has a very miniscule defense profile that barely exists meaning it's tough to get in, and it's also very prediction heavy. Zapdos being so good, Ferro is everywhere, Skarmory is good, and protect users all make choice band sets just awful. But without a choice band, it's not nearly strong enough and now really doesn't contribute vs offense which is the entire reason you'd use it. Grassy Terrain is nice, but it thuds too often into things and is too inconsistent. Also tera is a headache for it, because Pokemon can just tera to deny revenge killing and KO it back.

I fully support a drop for Rilla. Especially as checks to it getting better, and more popping up (both mega Latis are better post Dragapult and were already better post Gambit).

Kenpwnchi

formerly Pwndkthnx
Just for the record, it may not be the most viable strategy, but Ogerpon can set Grassy Terrain, use Grassy Glide, and still benefit way more than Rilla (depending on Ogerpon's form [I'm looking at you HM Ogerpon and, maybe, TM Ogerpon]).

Nashrock

peaceful death
is a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Just for the record, it may not be the most viable strategy, but Ogerpon can set Grassy Terrain, use Grassy Glide, and still benefit way more than Rilla (depending on Ogerpon's form [I'm looking at you HM Ogerpon and, maybe, TM Ogerpon]).
I don’t think wasting one turn setting the terrain and using another turn to attack can be compared with rilla while the latter can do these at the same time. I agree that rilla is less powerful now due to the nerf though, but it doesn’t make this ogerpon set viable.

Kenpwnchi

formerly Pwndkthnx
I don’t think wasting one turn setting the terrain and using another turn to attack can be compared with rilla while the latter can do these at the same time. I agree that rilla is less powerful now due to the nerf though, but it doesn’t make this ogerpon set viable.
If I recall correctly, I did mention that the strategy isn't the most viable (hence, why I made the statement). However, yes, Rilla role compresses with both Grassy Surge and Grassy Glide, but look at the overall results. Who's really doing more damage in the long run (and is more flexible when building): Ogerpon or Rilla?

If I recall correctly, I did mention that the strategy isn't the most viable (hence, why I made the statement). However, yes, Rilla role compresses with both Grassy Surge and Grassy Glide, but look at the overall results. Who's really doing more damage in the long run (and is more flexible when building): Ogerpon or Rilla?
Rilla sets terrain for sneasler as well, beats rain, and imo shouldn't be C. edit, also someone mentioned that it had to use tera well.... so does ogerpon to break as well as it should

Last edited:
Rilla sets terrain for sneasler as well, beats rain, and imo shouldn't be C. edit, also someone mentioned that it had to use tera well.... so does ogerpon to break as well as it should
Rilla does not beat rain. Any well built rain teams gives Rilla a hard time. As for Sneasler, Koko is 100x better as a partner being an actual good Pokemon. And no Ogerpon doesn't NEED tera.

Kenpwnchi

formerly Pwndkthnx
HOWEVER, Ogerpon gains a stat boost when using its Tera Type, as well as a STAB boosted Ivy Cudgel (which is, arguably, better than Tera Blast). Yes, Rilla may automatically set Grassy Terrain for Sneasler, but, again, Ogerpon has more than enough bulk to do it manually, and take a hit while doing it. As far as Rain goes, the statement stays the same. What can Rilla do against Rain that Ogerpon can't? I get it. You want Rilla to stay on top (just like a lot wanted Bulu to stay on top). GF decided they wanted to try something different. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave Ogerpon Grassy Surge as a Hidden Ability for DLC2.

HOWEVER, Ogerpon gains a stat boost when using its Tera Type, as well as a STAB boosted Ivy Cudgel (which is, arguably, better than Tera Blast). Yes, Rilla may automatically set Grassy Terrain for Sneasler, but, again, Ogerpon has more than enough bulk to do it manually, and take a hit while doing it. As far as Rain goes, the statement stays the same. What can Rilla do against Rain that Ogerpon can't? I get it. You want Rilla to stay on top (just like a lot wanted Bulu to stay on top). GF decided they wanted to try something different. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave Ogerpon Grassy Surge as a Hidden Ability for DLC2.
yea ig your right but I don't think strong priority, viable damage output, and overall success in using it warrants C. Its definitely not like a A tier mon tho.

Kenpwnchi

formerly Pwndkthnx
yea ig your right but I don't think strong priority, viable damage output, and overall success in using it warrants C. Its definitely not like a A tier mon tho.
I'm not against the idea, myself, but I don't think Rilla will be going above C anytime soon. I legitimately feel like them needing Grassy Glide, and then dropping Ogerpon, literally ruined its only roles.

I'm not against the idea, myself, but I don't think Rilla will be going above C anytime soon. I legitimately feel like them needing Grassy Glide, and then dropping Ogerpon, literally ruined its only roles.
Alright, but erm, its not a good idea to use grassy glide ogerpon it can just get KOED as it sets terrain lol and also, ignoring tera, CB rilla hits harder and even without CB it hits sllightly harder. with tera, I belive rillaboom still hits harder with tera grass.
EDIT: meant to reply to the posts critisising rilla oooops

Last edited:
Couple noms after playing with new mons and some other stuff

:ogerpon-Hearthflame: -> A-
Modest ranking for now but this is a pretty big threat, especially under sun. You do end up doubling the rocks weakness, but make up for it with offensive Poke that happens to flatten stall and general bulkier teams with mold breaker enabling it to bypass abilities. Post tera granting it a free perma +1 boost is ridiculous and means that chasing out isnt necessarily enough. It's fairly linear, although effective. Oh and it trolls Gholdengo by encoring nasty plot variants due to mold breaker.

:ogerpon-Wellspring: -> B/B+
I like this one. Good on rain and against it thanks to water absorb, and a pretty wide utility movepool meaning it doesn't have to necessarily use offense sets. Cool typing too that lets it check grounds despite not being especially bulky. Also a decent sweeper itself, with post tera spdef boost being surprisingly useful to make it harder to revenge kill.

:Ogerpon-cornerstone: -> C+/B-
More niche than the two main forms, but StonePon has some neat anti meta qualities and a solid attacking type. 100% accurate 100bp rock stab is pretty busted in a tier with several prominent rock weak targets, and sturdy lets it potentially soft check anything in a pinch. Has annoying 4MSS though.

:Ursaluna-Bloodmoon: -> B/B+
Very cool new addition with some really interesting options. Calm Mind is scary especially with tera letting it get extra turns, and once boosted is surprisingly difficult to remove instantly. Having recovery is nice too for bulkier sets. Limited by low speed and a not amazing base typing, but shreds slower teams well and isn't full deadweight vs offense.

:Tyranitar-Mega: B+ -> A-
Knock off is a massive buff for this mon and gives it even more it can do in a game beyond pursuiting. Sand chip is nice, and having a helpful check to ZardY is always important. Does still suffer from some moveslot issues, but it's quite good ATM.

vesp

another ruin left behind
is a Contributor to Smogon
5wl9bzalyhlb1.jpg

Ursaluna-Blood-Moon -> B/B+

This mon is really strong on offensive team styles. It has solid bulk physically with 113/120 being about as bulky as pex on the physical side.
252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Toxapex: 115-136 (37.8 - 44.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Ursaluna-Bloodmoon: 136-162 (31.6 - 37.6%) -- 89.7% chance to 3HKO
It does have subpar special bulk although far from terrible. Despite a terrible 65 spD it does have a solid 113hp which helps round out the poor special bulk to make it average on the special side. If you have a cm you take just about any special attack in the tier pretty well. Normalium is very strong on it, as it helps it bypass checks like corviknight.
+2 252+ SpA Ursaluna-Bloodmoon Breakneck Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Corviknight: 421-496 (105.2 - 124%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Speaking of corviknight, its a pretty terrible check to luna anyways, since you can set up it, even IronPress variants are stomped by tera (+6 252 Def Corviknight Body Press vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Poison Tera Type Ursaluna-Bloodmoon: 104-123 (24.1 - 28.6%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery) and are fodder to set free cms. Behind screens it's incredibly bulky and gets free cms even on its biggest threats such as tusk, because they need 3 hits to drop luna from full, and luna only needs 1 +1 blood moon to drop them. Stall isn't able to deal with this mon either, as tera poison giving it a toxic immunity makes dealing with it essentially require tera on clodsire(blissey is fodder much like corv). 52 speed isnt terrible, as you speed creep other base 50s like mmaw and normal luna.

Couple noms after playing with new mons and some other stuff
:Tyranitar-Mega: B+ -> A-
Knock off is a massive buff for this mon and gives it even more it can do in a game beyond pursuiting. Sand chip is nice, and having a helpful check to ZardY is always important. Does still suffer from some moveslot issues, but it's quite good ATM.
Made a post about this yesterday! its super great after knock and always has benefits. It feels really good in this meta and can't wait for it to join the ranks of the A tier

Kenpwnchi

formerly Pwndkthnx
Made a post about this yesterday! its super great after knock and always has benefits. It feels really good in this meta and can't wait for it to join the ranks of the A tier
I agree. Giving Tyranitar Knock Off is about as good as them giving KyuB Icicle Spear (amongst other things). Basically, it's EXACTLY what the mom needed to go from zero to hero.

Slowpoke Fan

Slow?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
RMT Leader
:ogerpon-Hearthflame: -> A-
Modest ranking for now but this is a pretty big threat, especially under sun. You do end up doubling the rocks weakness, but make up for it with offensive Poke that happens to flatten stall and general bulkier teams with mold breaker enabling it to bypass abilities. Post tera granting it a free perma +1 boost is ridiculous and means that chasing out isnt necessarily enough. It's fairly linear, although effective. Oh and it trolls Gholdengo by encoring nasty plot variants due to mold breaker.

:ogerpon-Wellspring: -> B/B+
I like this one. Good on rain and against it thanks to water absorb, and a pretty wide utility movepool meaning it doesn't have to necessarily use offense sets. Cool typing too that lets it check grounds despite not being especially bulky. Also a decent sweeper itself, with post tera spdef boost being surprisingly useful to make it harder to revenge kill.

:Ogerpon-cornerstone: -> C+/B-
More niche than the two main forms, but StonePon has some neat anti meta qualities and a solid attacking type. 100% accurate 100bp rock stab is pretty busted in a tier with several prominent rock weak targets, and sturdy lets it potentially soft check anything in a pinch. Has annoying 4MSS though.

:Ursaluna-Bloodmoon: -> B/B+
Very cool new addition with some really interesting options. Calm Mind is scary especially with tera letting it get extra turns, and once boosted is surprisingly difficult to remove instantly. Having recovery is nice too for bulkier sets. Limited by low speed and a not amazing base typing, but shreds slower teams well and isn't full deadweight vs offense.
No ranking for basePon? I think it's really good, probably up there with Hearthflame by exchanging stall killing for great pivoting (it gets to use an item, so you can slap a choice band on it and basically be a GDarm lite with tera) :psysad:

about15gals

formerly about15guys
is a Pre-Contributor
rilla lost 5 more bp on gglide (lol) making it really bad into offense, w/ cb you're not even able to ko ival from full, it hits like a wet noodle without band and grass being a really poor offensive type into really common defensive pokemon like heatran, zapdos and moltres is doing it absolutely no favors. It's also the freest skarm switchin ever vs fat and is a great way to take a bunch of chip and have spikes set up on you. there's much more reliable forms of speed control like scarf lele or mlop, and oftentimes they do rillaboom's job much better than it ever could, also rain teams run zap for a reason, as well as ferro taking negative damage from glide

also in addition:
:ogerpon-hearthflame: to A/A-
very stupid pokemon, after one sd its pretty much unwallable, good speed tier + haha funny free cb after a tera. all around stupid pokemon expect an oculars bazaar screen ho post about it sometime soon

:zapdos: to A/A+
insanely good pokemon, fits on like a billion teams and is almost always good, makes mlop scared to click buttons, can pivot, can fog, can be offensive on rain, mon of a million talents and should be risen, it being b tier is criminal

:moltres: to B/B+
thought this was a ladder moment when it rose earlier, but its actually got some pretty solid matchups, warranting a raise. B+ might be pushing it a bit but I think B is very reasonable

imo mtar doesn't deserve a raise, it getting risen to b+ last slate was kinda :worrywhirl: but now that it gets knock B+ its a fine place for it

I think with knock off mega ttar will become a tier staple.
rilla lost 5 more bp on gglide (lol) making it really bad into offense, w/ cb you're not even able to ko ival from full, it hits like a wet noodle without band and grass being a really poor offensive type into really common defensive pokemon like heatran, zapdos and moltres is doing it absolutely no favors. It's also the freest skarm switchin ever vs fat and is a great way to take a bunch of chip and have spikes set up on you. there's much more reliable forms of speed control like scarf lele or mlop, and oftentimes they do rillaboom's job much better than it ever could, also rain teams run zap for a reason, as well as ferro taking negative damage from glide
u know what ya'll have convinced me tbh. I see all your logic, rillaboom to C!
(and mega ttar to A-)

Let's talk about Freddy Fazbear
:Ursaluna: to B-/B :
This might be a strange nomination since it did get banned a long time ago and only got unbanned though it'll make sense.
Ursaluna while is still really good under tr, that's kind of it really. It still has the same problem as all other guts mons have. That being no recovery+ vulnerable to hazards. This means that assuming you're building non tr, it will need a good amount of support for it to really show its potential. And unlike Blood Moon, it can't just spam its normal stab because no scrappy and will need to predict. This alongside with the limited turns you get in tr, it isn't too hard to outplay it.
Overall it's a solid mon but is outclassed by Blood Moon in other archetypes.

TL:DR - good on tr but outclassed in other archetypes.

Let's talk about Freddy Fazbear
:Ursaluna: to B-/B :
This might be a strange nomination since it did get banned a long time ago and only got unbanned though it'll make sense.
Ursaluna while is still really good under tr, that's kind of it really. It still has the same problem as all other guts mons have. That being no recovery+ vulnerable to hazards. This means that assuming you're building non tr, it will need a good amount of support for it to really show its potential. And unlike Blood Moon, it can't just spam its normal stab because no scrappy and will need to predict. This alongside with the limited turns you get in tr, it isn't too hard to outplay it.
Overall it's a solid mon but is outclassed by Blood Moon in other archetypes.

TL:DR - good on tr but outclassed in other archetypes.
U can also use a bulk up set with guts and lefties great to bait wisp from a few mons and its not as good but its cool, sets up on a few common mons

Last edited:

Oculars

THE SHEIKH OF SHAMONE
is a Tiering Contributor
:sv/ogerpon-hearthflame: to A+/ S-

This mon functions as the strongest stall breaker/ easiest way to force progress in the tier right now. This tier has for a long time lacked a serious mold breaker mon with boosting capabilities to take on the boots + unaware mons that passive teams heavily rely on. This thing breaks many of the strongest fully defensive mons in the tier right now such as :ting-lu::dondozo: :chansey: :clodsire: :skarmory: :hippowdon: :ferrothorn: :great-tusk: :heatran: :scizor-mega: :toxapex: :zapdos: :garganacl: :gholdengo:

While having enough speed to not be easily revenged by mid speed offensive mons and the coverage to play around other potential defensive answers.
it can slot a variety of moves for the 4th slot:
Rock Tomb for :moltres: :charizard-mega-y: :rotom-heat:
Play Rough for potential dragon checks like Tera'd :buzzwole: :garganacl::alomomola:+:latias-mega::dragonite::kommo-o::salamence::altaria-mega::garchomp:
Knock off for :gholdengo::iron-moth: :victini: :ceruledge: :cinderace: :torkoal: and removing ability shield from its checks (ill explain why this will be relevant in the future meta)
High Horsepower for :charizard-mega-x: :toxapex::heatran: + :ability-shield:

Trailblaze to boost speed beyond most scarfers and +1 mons and use embody aspect for the free attack boost to sweep offensively oriented teams you dont require moldbreaker for.

Fat Teams Potential Counterplay: I hate telling you about this since yall fat players are gonna start using it now but ability shield + things that would check it without mold breaker can still wall like :ability-shield: + :heatran: :dondozo: :skeledirge::azumarill: (sap sipper whirlpool) unless theyve been knocked and mons with rindo and occa berry can quickly turn the tides on ogerpon-hearthflame.

Dont tell me having to run an item for one mon makes it broken when yall will defend having to run covert cloak for the cancer rock pile himself :garganacl: in the same breath.

Loads of other counterplay exists such as running a non passive team like screens or webs or weather which all handle it easily, prankster encore/twave or booster valiant encore, one good suprising tera prediction (any offensive water type or ground type with tera dragon) can cripple it or flat out ohko it or put it in range of priority like aqua jet or shuriken or sucker punch or espeed, it gets crippled by every hazard especially rocks and one red card can force it out making it take more hazards on the way back in. A great offensive check to a boosted ogerpon is banded normal espeed from dnite which ohkos after 1 layer or spikes or rocks.

Now that dragapult is gone this mon should be one of the first mons you have to think about answering along with gholdengo making it a clear contender for A+/ S-

:sv/ogerpon-hearthflame: to A+/ S-

This mon functions as the strongest stall breaker/ easiest way to force progress in the tier right now. This tier has for a long time lacked a serious mold breaker mon with boosting capabilities to take on the boots + unaware mons that passive teams heavily rely on. This thing breaks many of the strongest fully defensive mons in the tier right now such as :ting-lu::dondozo: :chansey: :clodsire: :skarmory: :hippowdon: :ferrothorn: :great-tusk: :heatran: :scizor-mega: :toxapex: :zapdos: :garganacl: :gholdengo:

While having enough speed to not be easily revenged by mid speed offensive mons and the coverage to play around other potential defensive answers.
it can slot a variety of moves for the 4th slot:
Rock Tomb for :moltres: :charizard-mega-y: :rotom-heat:
Play Rough for potential dragon checks like Tera'd :buzzwole: :garganacl::alomomola:+:latias-mega::dragonite::kommo-o::salamence::altaria-mega::garchomp:
Knock off for :gholdengo::iron-moth: :victini: :ceruledge: :cinderace: :torkoal: and removing ability shield from its checks (ill explain why this will be relevant in the future meta)
High Horsepower for :charizard-mega-x: :toxapex::heatran: + :ability-shield:

Trailblaze to boost speed beyond most scarfers and +1 mons and use embody aspect for the free attack boost to sweep offensively oriented teams you dont require moldbreaker for.

Fat Teams Potential Counterplay: I hate telling you about this since yall fat players are gonna start using it now but ability shield + things that would check it without mold breaker can still wall like :ability-shield: + :heatran: :dondozo: :skeledirge::azumarill: (sap sipper whirlpool) unless theyve been knocked and mons with rindo and occa berry can quickly turn the tides on ogerpon-hearthflame.

Dont tell me having to run an item for one mon makes it broken when yall will defend having to run covert cloak for the cancer rock pile himself :garganacl: in the same breath.

Loads of other counterplay exists such as running a non passive team like screens or webs or weather which all handle it easily, prankster encore/twave or booster valiant encore, one good suprising tera prediction (any offensive water type or ground type with tera dragon) can cripple it or flat out ohko it or put it in range of priority like aqua jet or shuriken or sucker punch or espeed, it gets crippled by every hazard especially rocks and one red card can force it out making it take more hazards on the way back in. A great offensive check to a boosted ogerpon is banded normal espeed from dnite which ohkos after 1 layer or spikes or rocks.

Now that dragapult is gone this mon should be one of the first mons you have to think about answering along with gholdengo making it a clear contender for A+/ S-
Agreed that its good, but its going to get banned, and the funny thing is that it can just 2hko molt and ohko zard with an sd. now I know this is a viablity rankings but having to run ability shield over lefties on tran, or being forced to use SAP SIPPER azu, at the very least dirge and dozo which are just for fat/stall or some balances. im going to prove why this will be banned and how impactful it is now in the meta before it gets banned.
To this next section: being forced to use a weather team or a screens team isnt the best thing in the game. oh sure val can encore but it actually has no attacks for it so if the oger user clicks button it dies. shuriken and aqua jet fall into the same area, but...
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Water Shuriken (15 BP) (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Ogerpon-Hearthflame: 165-200 (54.8 - 66.4%) -- approx. 2HKO
yea im sure that counts as nobody runs specs (i could be wrong but i saw no specs so far in nat dex) and then the oger just ohkoes with horn leech.
the chip wouldnt even effect it.
252+ Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ogerpon-Hearthflame: 126-148 (41.8 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
what do i say to this.
u can argue they ko after tera but the thing is being forced to run a priority mon (or TWO) on your team just isnt ideal. and having to waste tera isnt either...
252+ Atk Choice Band Tera Normal Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ogerpon-Hearthflame: 255-300 (84.7 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
ill give u this but i have not seem a banded dnite in a while.
this mon just wreaks havoc use it while u can

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 2)