ORAS OU Need help improving a good team

I currently have a decent, functional team that I really enjoy using, but have had problems making it a really excellent team. It hovers between 1500 and 1600 without really breaking through to the higher echelons of the game, and I would really appreciate some advice as to how I could improve the team.

The team is generally offensive, with only really one truly bulky pokemon (Clefable), and three pokemon with natural bulk (Azumarill, Heatran, and Dragonite) that instead focus on offence.

Without further ado...

The main threat in the team is my Belly Drum Azumarill, at +6 it really can take out just about anyone, 1 on 1. Most of the time, I try to set up and sweep with Aqua Jet, though sometimes I am not in a position to belly drum, and instead just attack.
Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Clefable is the bulk this team needs, and after a couple of calm minds can take on any specially offensive pokemon it likes. Its only real weakness is if it gets taunted before it can set up, or against really strong physical attackers, especially those with iron head.
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Which brings me to Hearten, who partners well with Clefable, as it can take any poison or steel moves comfotably, and Air Baloon means it can even switch in on earthquake, which is also very handy. It can break stall with taunt and its powerful stab attacks, and set up stealth rocks.
Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Flash Cannon
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Alakazam is a really excellent late game sweeper, outspeeding almost every non-boosted game in the meta-game. It has near perfect coverage, and hits like a truck. I'm unsure as to if psychic or psyshock is a better bet - psyshock hits harder against special walls (obviously), who can otherwise really hinder this team.
Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Encore

More like a mega-gengar from ubers, with destiny bond, which can really catch people in surprise and often allows gengar to get a second ko. I don't run focus blast on Gengar, and prefer destiny bond for surprise, and because Mega-Zam already has focus blast and I felt I didn't need the coverage.
Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt

It's the final spot on the team that has caused me the most problems. Earlier on, I tried Kyurem-B, who added a good variety of attacks (ice, electric, and ground), but that really gave me too much weakness to Steel type pokemon, so I replaced Kyurem with Dragonite, who has been more effective. It's a shame, as Kyurem really offers the coverage this team benefits from, but its weakness to steel really did let the team down too much. Dragonite offers useful coverage (particularly ground and ice), and after one D-Dance (which it can nearly always get with Multiscale) hits like a truck and outspeeds almost everything. But I am very open to replacing it, if anyone has any better suggestions for a physical attacker (weavile, perhaps?)
Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Adjustments;

From my understanding of its summary, Clefable is meant to be the bulk of your team, however, resembles a very offensive set. Sticking to Unaware can keep Clefable standing tall against Mega Scizor and Doublade where it otherwise couldn't. Swapping Calm Mind for Cosmic Power and optionally Thunder Wave for Stored Power gives this set a much more bulky structure.

While I can see where you're coming from in Life Orb substitution for a tier-restricted mega stone, Gengar just isn't one of the Pokemon that this idea works well with. The reason Mega Gengar is so useful is because of Shadow Tag, which is used to trap and destroy powerful foes. Without Shadow Tag, a Pokemon could easily pull a switch and status him. While you may think Taunt solves this problem, Klefki and Whimsicott have Prankster, and their Paralysis halves Gengar's speed, disabling it's ability to properly D-Bond. Replacing Gengar with Doublade makes the strategy you are trying much more effective.

With the current structure of your team, Mega Alakazam could use some changes. For starters, swap Psychic for Psyshock--your two physical attackers, to my knowledge, don't have the best time with dealing with Chansey, and since you have Magic Bounce, should have an ultimately easier time taking care of it. Taking up the use of Psyshock also helps with Assault Vest users, such as Tornadus-T. Since you are trying to go for a sweeper, replacing Encore with Hidden Power Fire makes Bugs easier to take care of, and keeps you from having to hope to Arceus that your Focus Blast doesn't miss Steel-types.

Thanks, I'll definitley change to Psyshock, and look into running HP on Zam too, or seeing if there is another move to replace encore with.

RE:Clefable, I do like it the way it is, as I have got good at using it, though will look into changing cosmic power. I've really enjoyed using Gengar as is, it has caught enough Tyranitars off guard to be worthwhile, though I did enjoy using Duoblade in UU, so I might give that a go first.

Any recommendations RE:Dragonite?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)