New and 'creative' moveset/EV spread thread Mk. 5

okay i updated it, and i totally agree. i was just going off some1 elses moveset for infernape earlier in the posts.
BTW has anyone tried this, does it work at all?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Well, heres a set I used for a long time,and it has worked out really well for me. However, I think I wont really ever be using a Sandstorm team ever again, so I don't see why I don't just let this go.

Set: LeadTar
Tyranitar@Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
16 HP/252 Atk/208 Spd/32 SDef
Stealth Rock
Crunch
Earthquake
Sleep Talk

Stealth Rock for... well.... getting Rocks out. Crunch and EQ for hitting things, and Sleep Talk to act as running Chesto Berry AND Focus Sash at the same time, albeit its reliability is cut into a third, many sleep leads, in the long run, lose to Sleep Talk, like Smeargle, that either dies in 1 hit to EQ or Crunch, or you get Rocks out with that sleep talk. Theres not much more to the moveset than that. Sash is amazing for various switch ins if you manage to take down leads without a scratch, it also prevents critical hits from ruining my day from normally harmless attacks. Sometimes after the general lead job is done, you can use this guy for a free hit, sleep fodder, etc.

The Speed EVs and Jolly Nature let me outspeed the "Standard" Rotom formes, which means I get a Crunch in before they can Will-O-Wisp. This is the fastest of my outspeeds, though. There are things like Standard SubPunch Breloom, Non DS Lead Uxies, Leadgross, and more that I outspeed. More speed than this is not necessay, because anything else I'd have a shot at outrunning runs specific Speed EVs to outrun Jolly TTar.

The HP and SpD Evs let me take Special Onslaughts a bit better, like barely scraping away with two Heatran Earthpowers, specsJolt thunderbolts, and so on. Defense EVs did not turn ANY 2HKOs into 3HKOs, so I went Specially defensive for these threats and more.

This set takes everything everyone has ever thought a TTar should look like, and turns it on its head. Instead of taking a bulky route, and just using TTar's slow speed to abuse Payback, it goes and strikes first, which, the best example of, is Crunching any Rotoms that want to Wisp. I've personally had much more sucess with this Speedy LeadTar than a Bulkier, slower one, like the current LeadTar.

Thoughts?

Going to simply restate this since it got ignored.

Not that I have come up with something amazing, but I feel Hidden Power Ground should be in the Other Options section of Gengar's analysis. Here's a move set I was using, at least:

Gengar
Move1: Shadow Ball
Move2: Thunderbolt
Move3: Hidden Power Ground
Move4: Trick
Item: Choice Specs
Nature: Timid
EV's: 252Sp.atk 252Speed 6hp

The reason why I feel it is great is because it can fool someone into thinking you run the same old Hidden Power Fire Gengar. And since they hit similiar Pokemon for SE damage it will be hard for the opponent to figure it out. And it doesn't make the speed IV an imperfect 30, allowing you to win against other Life Orb Gengar with max speed. If I was going to counter SD Lucario with this move, he would be ohko'd and/or the opponent may switch in Heatran, expecting to take a fire boost. Suddenly you ohko him. It is also great for Tyranitar switch-ins because it will do a nice amount of damage. Getting locked into HP Fire is so much worse, you always have to switch out and very often get Pursuited. Personally I love this option because I hate the imperfect speed from HP Fire and the shaky accuracy of Focus Blast (I have bad luck).

haunter

Banned deucer.
The standard CB TTar takes less than 50% from hp ground and being locked into that move is a free switch in for Pkm immune to ground. I think that, despite having to have a 30 Spe IV, hp fight is better if you really hate focus blast accuracy, it does 80.8% - 95.5% to CB TTar and 74.9% - 88.5% to the standard scarf-Heatran; otherwise, you can just keep focus blast and accept its crappy accuracy.

The standard CB TTar takes less than 50% from hp ground and being locked into that move is a free switch in for Pkm immune to ground. I think that, despite having to have a 30 Spe IV, hp fight is better if you really hate focus blast accuracy, it does 80.8% - 95.5% to CB TTar and 74.9% - 88.5% to the standard scarf-Heatran; otherwise, you can just keep focus blast and accept its crappy accuracy.
I just did the calculation that found HP Ground doing on average 44% to CB Tyranitar, and that is a 2hko with a little prior damage, 2 switches into Stealth Rock, or 1 layer of Spikes. Not so great, but HP Ground ohko's Heatran everytime ('cept for shuca, who is slower). And to not ohko scarf Heatran would be bad because he gets a chance to outspeed and kill you. I considered the fact that Latias/Salamence/Dragonite/Gyarados may switch in to absorb HP Fire, yet with HP Fighting Gengar would have to switch out fast anyway. Otherwise I don't see anyone magically predicting that I have HP Ground and switching in a flyer is the best move. Other switch-ins to HP Fire could be Infernape (ohko'd), Kingdra (takes damage, which helps), Blissey (wouldn't let them know it was ground), Snorlax (wouldn't let them know it was ground), Suicune (takes minimal damage), Swampert (takes small damage, but helpful for Infernape's Grass Knot), Tentacruel (48% to Toxic Spiker set, possible 2hko with Stealth Rock and even better with 1 layer of Spikes), Vaporeon (small damage). Those examples aren't real great except for Tentacruel, Infernape, and maybe Kingdra. But HP Fighting would only do worse and tip off Blissey and Snorlax that the Hidden Power is Fighting. HP Ground also hits Metagross and Jirachi for Super Effective damage just like HP Fire so the same switch-ins would apply. I considered HP Fighting before and on a case by case basis saw that Focus Blast would be the better option, and of course I don't like the move's accuracy. And HP Fighting also forces a 30 speed IV, and worse IV's than HP Ground overall. I suppose HP Fighting could also go into Other Options, but with all the data I just provided HP Ground should be there first IMO.

EDIT: And to UltiMario, if you could post how he works against the top 10-15 leads then we could see how much improvement this LeadTar is. So far it sounds good though.

Tauntasaurus-Rex

Tyranitar (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Taunt
---
This is my new favorite Tyranitar set. I'm sure it has probably been posted before (haven't checked), but it's worth posting for what it can do now. I'm surprised Taunt isn't used as much on Tyranitar. Yes, it does get walled by Lucario, but I'll discuss that later. First of all, Taunt is key to Tyranitar's ability in shutting down Semi-stall. Usually, the opponent will send in a Skarmory, or even keep Rotom-A in on him if he's sent in on Rotom. This is where Lum Berry and Taunt come into play. Lum will cure the burn from Will-O-Wisp, as you DD, thus outspeeding the Rotom. Then you Taunt as it tries to burn you again. That's where you get your second DD and they start to struggle. Crunch and Stone Edge are your basic STABs, but you can use Earthquake over Crunch if you want to.

Taunt is the key to this Tyranitar's success. It stops Skarmory from Phazing you, it stops Blissey from poisoning/paralyzing you, and it stops Rotom from Burning you. Taunt also incapacitates Rest-Talkers, such as Heatran, and prevents it from Phazing you. Latias can't Phaze you as well, and the most common set used in Semi-Stall is the Roar+CM set, allowing you to Taunt it, set up a DD or two and go for the kill.

This Tyranitar isn't without its problems, though. Swampert does have trouble coming in on a +2 Crunch, but it can take it and threaten a STAB EQ (which 2KOs, but you want to be able to take some stuff in case SE misses) unlike Skarmory who is utterly helpless. An SD Gliscor can do enough damage to the bulky water allowing Tyranitar to break through. It also walls Lucario for Tyranitar. Magnezone can trap Steels like Scizor and can run HP Grass acting as a lure to kill Swampert for it.

Edit: Oh, and what do you guys think of a cosmic power Starmie. I reckon it'll be quite the force with the right EV spread. Scarftar can only hope to get the kill with Crunch doing 50%-60% to the spinner Starmie at +1 defenses. Natural Cure only makes it better.

Hey,
I've recently been experimenting with a new Flygon set, with great success. It takes advantage of something he has over his fellow Dragons - Flail.

Flailgon:
Flygon @ Salac Berry | Levitate
Jolly Nature
252Spe/252Atk/4Def
- Substitute
- Flail
- Outrage
- Fire Punch/Roost
Now, you may be wondering, 'but there are other Flail abusers with much higher attack!'. While this is true to a cretain extent, Flygon has several things they don't:
1 - Levitate. This is huge, because not only does it make Flygon much easier to switch in, it also gives him Immunity to Spikes and Toxic Spikes, which means achieving conditions in which he can pull this manuever off is much easier. With other, non Flying abusers, a single layer of any entry hazard is catastrophic, whereas with Flygon, all you need to do is ensure there is no Stealth Rock.
2 - Decent Speed. A lot of Flail abusers have fairly low base Speed. Flygon's Base Speed is 100, meaning with a Jolly nature, he is in fact really quite fast. Once the Salac berry kicks in, he outspeeds almost anything without boosts.
3 - Decent STAB. STABed Outrage is a fantastic move, resisted only by one type, and while being locked into it is incovenient, by the Time Flygon comes out, most Steels on the Field should have been taken out, and revenge killers worn down or killed.
On The Moveset: No HP investment leaves flygon at 301, a perfect number. Fire Punch is prefered as it allows you to hit weakened Steels, but Roost is an option to let him try again if he takes damage. Heatran Walls this set, so taking him out is a priority if you want to use it, but otherwise, the three moves achieve pretty much perfect coverage. I suppose Outrage could be replaced with Earthquake, at the expence of hitting Ghosts as hard and particularly Levitators, who would only be hit by Fire Punch and so most likely survive and KO back.
Anyway, I just thought I'd post this set here as I've been using it to great success recently, especially as it's so unexpected.
FF

haunter

Banned deucer.
There's almost no reason to give up a STAB earthquake for an unstabbed flail, especially since Flygon can't even boost its attack (unlike Gyarados to name another potential flail user).

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Mkay. Not too good with descriptions and stuff (Thats why I didn't make an analyses lol, I can't write good stuff), so bear with me here.

My LeadTar vs.

Azelf- Azelf loses no matter what. If Azelf does not set up reflect, it'll get OHKO'd
Metagross- Metagross will almost always win this. You can set up SR, and MAYBE get an EQ off, but overall Gross wins this.
Swampert- Set up SR and get out.
Jirachi- This is a risk. You pretty much have to guess if it is Trickscarf or not, SR on non Trickscarfers, EQ on Trickscarfers. If you don't want to risk TTar, then have a Scarf Magnezone on your team and switch that in.
Aerodactyl- Since they carry Taunt, you might as well just go for Crunching, Cunch 2HKOs, they'll probably waste a turn with Taunt and/or SR, or both, so you're not in too much danger. You might be able to get out SR after taking down Aero with either your speed or decent bulk.
Infernape- You lose unless the LeadApe doesn't have/use Fake Out. Get out of there.
Roserade- They Sleep Powder you, so, use Sleep Talk. EQ and Crunch will OHKO because of Sandstorm. If you use SR instead, you got SR out, so you're still doing good. If they outpredict your Sleep Talk, well, you're sorta doomed.
Heatran- Heatran 3HKOs with Earth Power, so use this time to either EQ twice or to SR and then EQ. If Heatran uses up a turn to SR then you'll take it down while getting up SR in the process.
TTar- Mirror Match. Set up SR and start EQing.
Gliscor- Try and set up SR. Use this turn to figure out what kind of lead Gliscor is based upon what move it uses. Take further actions based upon that from there, but Gliscor WILL win in the end, either getting a Baton Pass, or KOing you with EQ.
Ninjask- Set up SR. After that you can either Crunch away at its Subs, or switch to something that you want to deal with it.
Hippo- Set up SR, and get out.
Smeargle- Smeargle could be TrickScarf or Sporing. This is like Jirachi, guess and hope for the best, if you guess right, you beat Smeargle. Guess wrong, and Smeargle might get a free set-up.
Uxie- Crunch 3HKOs under Reflect, and 2HKOs without it. Go Crunching away, chances are you'll get out of this without a Scratch, giving you a free turn or two to set up SR later.
Bronzong- Set up SR and get out. Bronzong isn't exactly threatening, especally as long as it doesn't have Gyro Ball, but TTar can't exactly do much without a Def Drop or two from Crunch.

In Short:
Can Beat Easily: Azelf, Uxie, Aerodactyl
Can Sorta Beat: Roserade, Heatran
50/50: TTar, Bronzong, Smeargle, Jirachi
Has Trouble with: Metagross
Downright loses to: Infernape, Swampert, Hippo, Gliscor, Ninjask

I'm not sure what you guys call "Winning or losing", but I call it getting SR out AND KOing the opponent. The less of each you can accomplish, the more I call it "losing".

Yeah, theres my Win/lose thing... yeah....

It loses to a lot more leads than it wins against which is why I'd rather not use Tyranitar of any kind as a lead other than the counter set.

Here's the Cosmic Power Starmie.

Silver Surfer

Starmie @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP/120 Def/136 Spd
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Cosmic Power
- Recover
- Surf/Hydro Pump
- Toxic
---
This Starmie is meant to survive assaults and retaliate with either a STAB Hydro Pump boosted by Life Orb or a Surf. The nature gives it enough speed to outrun positive natured base 100s, and tie with Infernape. An alternate EV spread and nature can be used to increase defenses, but it is important to outspeed threats such as Lucario meaning a Bold nature and 164 speed EVs can be used to do this. The rest can be placed into the defenses (eg. 252 HP/92 Def/164 Spe). Natural Cure makes this much more viable allowing it to lure in something like Vaporeon after they know your set and poison it. If it poisons you, you can switch out to heal the status due to Natural Cure, but you lose the boost. Note that with the EVs given, a Life Orb Hydro Pump can OHKO a Scarftar provided you have 2 layers of Spikes and SR. Otherwise, it's a 2KO, so a Life Orb is only recommended if using this with entry hazards, as it might cause some switches. A Scarftar's Crunch is doing 51.9% - 61.7% at +1 Defense to the Bold natured one with the given EVs, and 55.6% - 65.4% to the Timid one at +1. Maxing Defense and HP makes it so that if Scarftar comes in on Starmie and you Cosmic Power that turn you'll survive two Crunches after using CP on the first. You can then Recover on the second and set up on Scarftar further, but you won't outspeed some threats. You can use this with something like Crocune who will appreciate a crippled Vaporeon or Rotom.

It loses to a lot more leads than it wins against which is why I'd rather not use Tyranitar of any kind as a lead other than the counter set.

Here's the Cosmic Power Starmie.

Silver Surfer

Starmie @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP/120 Def/136 Spd
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Cosmic Power
- Recover
- Surf/Hydro Pump
- Toxic
---
I already posted this set in Creative Movesets Mark 4. I used 216 speed unless you want to get raped by Gengar and it always beats Infernape. You'll probably want surfs pp and leftovers is a necessity for survivability when stalling. It's called "Cosmie" btw.

There's almost no reason to give up a STAB earthquake for an unstabbed flail, especially since Flygon can't even boost its attack (unlike Gyarados to name another potential flail user).
Flail has 50 more base power than Earthquake, and pokemon Immune to it are generally much rarer.
Flygon is also significantly faster than Gyarados, meaning Gyarados is much more likely to be hit before it can make a substitute. Flygon also has better STAB than Gyarados.
So Flygon is all round a better Flail abuser really.

FF

haunter

Banned deucer.
Flail is slightly more powerful, but doesn't give any added type coverage, as the same things that resist dragon also resist normal. A stab outrage has 180 base power and scores the same 1-2hkos that flail does. EQ hits lots of the Pkm that resist dragon for neutral or SE damage. Heatran completely walls that set; Metagross is not even 3hko'd bu fire punch with leftovers and can easily set up an agility on you. Not to mention that to use flail at its highest base power you need to be at like 3% of your health (read: you die at your next switch into SR).

With water+normal Gyarados earns type coverage, with dragon+normal Flygon doesn't, that's a good reason alone to say that Gyara is a better flail user.

Flail has 50 more base power than Earthquake, and pokemon Immune to it are generally much rarer.
Flygon is also significantly faster than Gyarados, meaning Gyarados is much more likely to be hit before it can make a substitute. Flygon also has better STAB than Gyarados.
So Flygon is all round a better Flail abuser really.

FF
Gyarados can use DD, boosting the 125 Atk and also making it faster than Flygon. Gyara is the better Flailer.

I've been using this for a while with mixed results:
Gallade @ Choice Scarf, Adamant
4 HP, 252 Att, 252 Spe
Trick
Focus Punch
Ice Punch
Thunder Punch

The idea is to trick and then focus punch. I usually use this as a lead, and if I know they're going to set up I'll trick (which sets up the Focus Punch), or else I'll attack. The last two moves are fillers, really. I found that Salamence and Gyarados were common switch-ins after the Trick, which is why I run Ice and Thunder Punches. Gallade can learn a bunch of other moves depending on what your team needs.

Hey asdfrozen, just suggesting that you slash in Shadow Sneak with Thunder Punch and/or Ice Punch considering that some of the most common switch-ins to Gallade would be Ghost types and you could KO those Pokemon with a Shadow Sneak to the face. Definitely going to try that lead!

I've been using this for a while with mixed results:
Gallade @ Choice Scarf, Adamant
4 HP, 252 Att, 252 Spe
Trick
Focus Punch
Ice Punch
Thunder Punch

The idea is to trick and then focus punch. I usually use this as a lead, and if I know they're going to set up I'll trick (which sets up the Focus Punch), or else I'll attack. The last two moves are fillers, really. I found that Salamence and Gyarados were common switch-ins after the Trick, which is why I run Ice and Thunder Punches. Gallade can learn a bunch of other moves depending on what your team needs.
close combat get all kos that focus punch does, and dont need any kind of prediction, night slash over thunder punch, you wont ko any ghost type with either of the element punchs, and rotom would wall you to death, something it should NOT happen. also stone edge over ice punch, cover both gyara and mence.

Yeah, when BinarySolo recommended Shadow Sneak I realized that Stone Edge would work against Gyarados and Salamence too, although it doesn't OHKO.

well, stone edge hurt both a lot, and give you a free slot for night slash, i still sugest you replace focus punch for close combat, trust me, its better.

Another Anti-Lead Drifblim set that can set up vs. sleep/status leads and sweep an entire team for a 6-0:

Drifblim (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SAtk/4 SDef
Mild nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Calm Mind
- Hypnosis
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

Basically I use hypnosis first turn while they status me, while Lum Berry cures it and activates unburden, giving me a speed boost. Then, I use calm mind as they switch out. That puts me in a great sweeping position from turn one. I hope you all enjoy it.

I made this set because it felt like too many rain dance leads had trouble getting my sweepers in:

latias @ damp rock
timid
252 hp/252 spe/4 def
rain dance
surf
dragon pulse
healing wish

I picked her for a few reasons: first and most importantly she resists electric, grass, and is immune to ground. The big rain dancers like kabutops are weak to these. The only one it doesn't help is kingdra, but honestly you are very unlikely to see a dragon switch in to latias. Secondly healing wish gets you a free switch in to a full health sweeper. Thirdly since latias leads are virtually unheard of it gives you an advantage since no one is going to see rain dance coming, unlike something a jolteon or electrode lead. She can still attack with rain boosted surfs as well.

Another Anti-Lead Drifblim set that can set up vs. sleep/status leads and sweep an entire team for a 6-0:

Drifblim (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SAtk/4 SDef
Mild nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Calm Mind
- Hypnosis
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

Basically I use hypnosis first turn while they status me, while Lum Berry cures it and activates unburden, giving me a speed boost. Then, I use calm mind as they switch out. That puts me in a great sweeping position from turn one. I hope you all enjoy it.
Why are you using a Mild nature as you don't have any physical moves. I would say go with a Timid nature but the make sure you have the same power as you had with Mild, a Modest nature would be best suited.

I made this set because it felt like too many rain dance leads had trouble getting my sweepers in:

latias @ damp rock
timid
252 hp/252 spe/4 def
rain dance
surf
dragon pulse
healing wish
Its honestly a great idea, but why lead? Shouldn't you use healing wish one something thats already been injured? I doubt any of your pokemon will be strapped for health on the second turn. I suggest it be one of your back-up dancers :D, kind of a midgame, momentum reviver.

Okay I've searched the thread and I can't find anyone with this moveset yet so here goes...

PKMN - Venusaur
Nature - Impish/careful
EV's - 252hp, 252def, 6attk
Moves - Sleep powder, leech seed, power whip and earthquake

Just a physical attacking variation on our ordinary tank venusaur. I quite like the look of this venusaur, and I do think it could cope quite well in ou since it can counter heatran, and now that venusaur has power whip venusaurs going to have much better attacking power behind it.

haunter

Banned deucer.
What? How is Venusaur countering Heatran? Why would you use this set in OU? You're lacking the held item, and you definitely need to write a more in depth description.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)