New/Creative movesets - Little Cup edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Krabby anybody?
Krabby @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Level: 5
EVs: 196 Spd / 236 Atk / 76 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Crabhammer
- Rock Slide
- Agility
- Knock Off
It reaches a Speed of 28, outspeeding the unboosted tier. Crabhammer doesn't get a Sheer Force boost, but it hits very hard.
Waterfall has perfect accuracy and 104 BP to Crabhammer's 100. It's probably better.

What are you hitting with Return? Water / Dark has perfect coverage outside of, what, Carvanha, Croagunk, and Deino? Back in Gen 4, before Sheer Force, I ran a double dance set on Krabby, Swords Dance / Agility / Crabhammer / Return @ Oran Berry, and it was ridiculously amazing. With Berry Juice to help take priority hits (Krabby has some great defense and isn't weak to any priority) and Sheer Force Waterfall to prevent stupid Crabhammer misses, it sounds even better!

...except you can't OHKO everything because of Eviolite. Fuck. Still though, that makes double dance even more viable, since you can SD to squish through bulky tanks or Agility to late game sweep.

EDIT: WOW THAT IS DUMB

EDIT2: also i hallucinated Return on that set :|

Last edited:
Gurl, Krabby can't learn waterfall. Although I prefer Hyper Cutter on my Krabby patties to prevent intimidate drops, that set looks alright.

Carvanha @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
IVs: 0 HP
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Destiny Bond
- Protect

There are two kinds of things that Vanha doesn't like. It doesn't like priority and it doesn't like tanky things it can't OHKO.

Ice Beam is useful for getting around some of the latter group. It 2HKOs Eviolite Tangela, OHKOs LO Tangela, guarantees a OHKO on all Gligar while Waterfall only has a chance to OHKO Berry Juice Gligar, OHKOs Tyrunt with Stealth Rock, and always OHKOs Berry Juice Yanma.

However, it's not that useful. 19 HP Oddish, Drilbur, and 0/76 Bellsprout are always OHKO'd by Crunch, although 36/0 Bellsprout needs SR to guarantee the OHKO, and Deerling takes more damage from Crunch. Vullaby is 2HKO'd by Waterfall after Stealth Rock, 36/20/20 Eviolite Murkrow is always 2HKO'd by Waterfall and Ice Beam, MixKrow is OHKO'd by Waterfall 93.8% of the time.

So, try Vanha's new egg move, Destiny Bond! While you do lose on those four threats, Destiny Bond lets you trade 1v1 with any tank who thinks it can endure a hit from Vanha and KO back, unless they have priority. Even the ones that aren't weak to Ice Beam. You also get a pretty much guaranteed revenge, if they don't expect it, on anything below 24 speed (aka everything without a boost) without a priority move with Protect + DBond. If they do know you have it, you can play mindgames with your opponent, make them afraid to attack you, and just smack them with your awesome STABs.

Also you get two points in SpD and a point in Def hurray!

Ive been running this Croagunk lately. And it definitely has seen some good use, mainly because of its ability to counter certain points of the meta, and no one expects it.

shiny_croagunk_global_link_art_by_trainerparshen-d6uy1g2.png
Croagunk @ Eviolite
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 132 HP / 188 SAtk / 116 Def / 36 SDef / 36 Atk
Modest Nature / Quiet
- Dark Pulse / Knock Off
- Fake Out
- Vacuum Wave
- Sludge Wave

Basically its a S.atk Set as you can see, but with fake-out to break study and just get that 1 free turn in. any damage is better than no damage, plus it chips away weather timers and helps with burns/toxic drain.
Fake-Out + Vacuum Wave allow Croagunk to break shell smashers like tirtouga, the nasty Carvahna, and get that extra few points of damage in to let it KO many pokemon. Dark Pulse is there so it doesnt get walled by Misdreavous or Honedge, and Sludge wave is there for its powerful STAB that functions very well in the meta, allowing it to take out many pokemon such as, Lileep, Tangelol, Meditite, and swirlix. And it has a safe-entry versus many popular mons right now. this thing can wreck face when used right.

Dry Skin is there to allow it to sponge attacks from all the water types *looks at Chinchou* and is pretty much his best ability. This also allows him to easily switch into several mons if you can predict the water attack coming

188+ SpA Croagunk Vacuum Wave vs. -1 0 HP / 0 SpD Tirtouga: 20-26 (95.2 - 123.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

(20, 20, 20, 20, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 26)

+1 point of damage from Fake-out lets Croagunk get the KO on a shell Smasher, and have a relatively safe switch-in with it being immune to water attacks, gets 2HKO by Stone Edge, and only falls to EQ.

Well Croagunk 3HKO lileep with Slude Wave, but lileep is at best a 6HKO as it resists both Giga Drain and Ancient Power.

With 236 HP/Sdef and anything BUT an Eviolite. unlikely to invest that, but still, with eviolite and no Sdef, Fake-out + Sludge wave is a KO

188+ SpA Croagunk Sludge Wave vs. 236 HP / 236 SpD Tangela: 26-32 (100 - 123%) -- guaranteed OHKO

(26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 30, 30, 30, 30, 30, 30, 30, 30, 30, 32)

188+ SpA Croagunk Sludge Wave vs. 236 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 24-30 (92.3 - 115.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
(24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 30)

On the Receiving end, with a Life-orb Tangela: (running Solar Beam, HP Ice, Knock-off, and Ancient Power)
His best bet is Solar Beam that cant even promise a 2HKO on this guy

236+ SpA Life Orb Tangela Solar Beam vs. 196 HP / 36 SpD Eviolite Croagunk: 10-13 (43.4 - 56.5%) -- 88.7% chance to 2HKO

- Running a Calm mind set (because this thing 1shots a belly drum set without issues)

188+ SpA Croagunk Sludge Wave vs. +1 0 HP / 0 SpD Swirlix: 18-24 (81.8 - 109%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

(18, 18, 18, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 24)

+ a Fake-out or a Vacuum Wave gives you a very high probability to KO it, very unlucky if you cant. and thats if it ALREADY has a CM set up

On the Receiving End of a CM Swirlix, the best bet out of a Dazzling Gleam, Flamethrower, T-Bolt setup is

+1 236+ SpA Swirlix Dazzling Gleam vs. 196 HP / 36 SpD Eviolite Croagunk: 13-16 (56.5 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 16)

Which gives Croagunk the ability to KO it anyway.

Misdreavous-

236+ SpA Misdreavus Shadow Ball vs. 196 HP / 36 SpD Eviolite Croagunk: 10-13 (43.4 - 56.5%) -- 59.4% chance to 2HKO

188+ SpA Croagunk Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Misdreavus: 12-16 (54.5 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Magnemite with 21hp Berry Juice- running T-Bolt, V-switch, HP Ice, and Flash cannon

188+ SpA Croagunk Vacuum Wave vs. 188 HP / 0 SpD Magnemite: 14-18 (66.6 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 18)

236+ SpA Magnemite Thunderbolt vs. 196 HP / 36 SpD Eviolite Croagunk: 13-16 (56.5 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 16)

Meditite with Berry Juice- running Ice punch, Bullet Punch, Fake-out, and Drain Punch

188+ SpA Croagunk Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Meditite: 15-18 (78.9 - 94.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 18)

+Vacuum Wave or a Fake-out for the KO
236+ Atk Huge Power Meditite Ice Punch vs. 196 HP / 116 Def Eviolite Croagunk: 9-11 (39.1 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
236+ Atk Huge Power Meditite Drain Punch vs. 196 HP / 116 Def Eviolite Croagunk: 6-8 (26 - 34.7%) -- 0.7% chance to 3HKO
236+ Atk Huge Power Meditite Fake Out vs. 196 HP / 116 Def Eviolite Croagunk: 5-6 (21.7 - 26%) -- 0.1% chance to 4HKO

Carvanha- running Crunch, Ice Beam, Waterfall, protect

188+ SpA Croagunk Vacuum Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Carvanha: 14-18 (66.6 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
188- SpA Carvanha Ice Beam vs. 196 HP / 36 SpD Eviolite Croagunk: 5-7 (21.7 - 30.4%) -- 98.1% chance to 4HKO

Crunch does even less with 236 ATK EV

Last edited:

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Treecko, that's a cool set you have there! My playstyle is probably pretty different from yours, so I understand the utility of U-Turn, but I feel as if Life Orb is probably a better item on that set, especially if momentum is the goal. Berry Juice is cool if you've got no way to clean hazards (but that's not recommended at all) but since U-Turn basically forces you to 1. run support and 2. act as a hit-and-run attacker I think the short bursts of power that Life Orb gives is probably more beneficial than some extra bulk provided by Berry Juice that you probably don't even need, seeing as you can just U-Turn out of potential threats. But hey, that's how I'd play it; you're free to do it however suits you best.

Phemeto, any reason why you've got Dark Pulse instead of Knock Off? Dark Pulse hits Ghost-types pretty hard but Knock Off hits them harder and also has a lot of utility against other opponents. Other than that, I largely agree with the prowess of that set; it's extremely useful as a general bulky pivot and multipurpose check to a lot of the tier's threats. I feel as if that set should be standard.

unitard, your Vulpix set is awesome and I've been using one very similar (just Will-o-Wisp over Energy Ball) It's really bulky and can often switch in multiple times to set up sun for Tangela and other sweepers. If any team needs a semi bulky tank and sun setter, that Vulpix is their best option!

Treecko, that's a cool set you have there! My playstyle is probably pretty different from yours, so I understand the utility of U-Turn, but I feel as if Life Orb is probably a better item on that set, especially if momentum is the goal. Berry Juice is cool if you've got no way to clean hazards (but that's not recommended at all) but since U-Turn basically forces you to 1. run support and 2. act as a hit-and-run attacker I think the short bursts of power that Life Orb gives is probably more beneficial than some extra bulk provided by Berry Juice that you probably don't even need, seeing as you can just U-Turn out of potential threats. But hey, that's how I'd play it; you're free to do it however suits you best.

Phemeto, any reason why you've got Dark Pulse instead of Knock Off? Dark Pulse hits Ghost-types pretty hard but Knock Off hits them harder and also has a lot of utility against other opponents. Other than that, I largely agree with the prowess of that set; it's extremely useful as a general bulky pivot and multipurpose check to a lot of the tier's threats. I feel as if that set should be standard.

unitard, your Vulpix set is awesome and I've been using one very similar (just Will-o-Wisp over Energy Ball) It's really bulky and can often switch in multiple times to set up sun for Tangela and other sweepers. If any team needs a semi bulky tank and sun setter, that Vulpix is their best option!
Only reason is because his ATK stat is VERY low, yes knock-off is nice, but honestly, Croagunk is nice but it cant take multiple hits so well, so sacrifing a turn to do a VERY weak non-stab knock off just didnt seem to appeal to me. Granted im sure you can run it and be fine either way. Switching into Chinchou to knock-off would be a common sight i'd say

Phemeto, I agree with Electolyte. "New" Knock Off seems really more usuful and effective. Could be Quiet the right nature for your set (so Atk reaches a decent 13)?

Phemeto, I agree with Electolyte. "New" Knock Off seems really more usuful and effective. Could be Quiet the right nature for your set (so Atk reaches a decent 13)?
Alright i updated it to go for knock off and quiet over DP and modest.

I guess you guys are right, im just tired of knock-off spam

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd also recommend Sludge Bomb>Sludge Wave. The 5 Base Power difference is probably totally irrelevant in damage calcs (I could be wrong, but I have my doubts), and you have an extra 20% chance to poison the opponent with it. I'm a huge Sludge Bomb>Sludge Wave advocate in every tier, and LC is certainly no exception.

This is why i went with wave:

188+ SpA Croagunk Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 20-26 (86.9 - 113%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
(20, 20, 20, 20, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 26)

188+ SpA Croagunk Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 24-30 (104.3 - 130.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 26, 30)

for everything else it doesnt really make a difference as you have said, but man...tangelols

Spritzee @ Eviolite
Ability: Healer
EVs: 212 HP / 196 Def / 76 SDef / 12 SAtk / 12 Spd
Bold Nature
- Skill Swap
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Protect/Sweet Kiss

A lot of mons rely on their abilities, and that is what makes this set so annoying. Pokes like slowpoke, swirlix, murkrow, tangela, misdreavus, mienfoo, snubbull, growlithe, mienfoo, and bunnelby, are all much easier to deal with if they don't have their ability. With these EVs, Spritzee only takes 37% from eviolite Meditite's bullet punch, and can swap away its Pure Power, making it next to useless.

Not to mention, Spritzee would benefit from any abilities that it would steal. Regenerator (which is common in LC!) gives it better source of healing outside of wish and prankster would give wish priority (and skill swap, but prankster is already so useful, so there is not much reason to swap it away). Its pretty funny that both of Spritzee's natural abilities are useless in singles, so the enemy gets nothing in return (except sadness).

Sweet Kiss is only agimmick if you are lucky enough to swap a prankster. Unfortunately, Murkrow is the only pokemon with prankster and he is hardly seen, so protect is usually better in the long run.
Ive never tried Skill Swap on Regenerator, does it actually heal you when you swap out? Also it seems fairly fun and annoying too, Spritzee is a hell of a tank and it can easily switch into many attacks, and get the skill-swap off and force a switch. With entry hazards up too that could be effective.

Also im actually im surprised there are not more pranksters around like gen 5 LC.

Cottonee got fairy type which is nice, but sort of a bane too, but thats a mean prankster.
Purloin and its Swag/Wave/Foul play was a very annoying prankster but thats vanished.
P-Riolu and his Copy Cat Roar was fun, but due to all the priority moves he wont be seeing many fun days anymore, but again another prankster.

Swirlix @ Eviolite
Ability: Sweet Veil
EVs: 180 HP / 228 Def / 60 SDef
Calm Nature
- Draining Kiss
- Calm Mind
- Wish
- Protect/Hidden Power [Fighting/Fire/Ground]

Most boosting Swirlix use Unburden to get a speed boost and attempt to sweep. However if you've seen my CM Resttalk Bronzor at work before, you'd know I like to take boosting sweepers slowly. This set abuses Swirlix's great defensive typing, stats, and sustain through Draining Kiss alongside Calm Mind to slowly tear down the enemy team. Wish is used to get Calm Minds up without having to always be attacking, as well as healing for when Draining Kiss just isn't enough. The last moveslot is situational. If you want to support your team if you can't sweep, Protect helps Swirlix be relevant without boosting. The Hidden power choices are for hitting certain steel types (ex Pawniard, Ferroseed, Magnemite respectively).
Overall a very scary set in the right conditions (steels gone, status abusers incapitated).

What are this set's advantages over Spritzee's wish cm moonblast protect set?
Well sweet veil is the big one. I'm still not entirely sure how it works, but I know it at least protects itself from sleep, and it could potentially protect all your team from sleep while its around maybe (thats how I've heard it told at least). In any case, it helps it set up in the face of stuff like tangela or yanma. Flamethrower should obviously be slashed at the bottom there rather than HP fire though. I've actually run a set of Wish/Protect/Dazzling Gleam/Flamethrower to decent enough effect although it does easily become set up fodder to some scary sweepers.

Karrablast @ Choice Scarf
Ability: No Guard / Shed Skin
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Atk / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Drill Run
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab / Pursuit

Karrablast got some huge buffs since last gen. With new Egg move Drill Run, it can finally destroy the Fire, Rock, and Steel types that once walled its 18 attack STAB Megahorn. Knock Off nails Ghost-types and is generally awesome. Poison Jab hits Fairies hard, and Pursuit can be run to checkmate Psychics like Slowpoke who are scared of Megahorn. No Guard is released (or at least it works on Showdown), and 100% accurate Megahorn is sexy as hell. On the other hand, Shed Skin is always nice to be able to absorb burn and paralysis. Karrablast has 18 attack and 22 speed with Adamant Scarf, enough to outspeed every boosted pokemon in little cup, and 50/45/50 isn't particularly fragile, especially with some nice Ground/Fighting/Grass resists. Stealth Rock sucks, but Defog is a thing now, so that's not so big of a deal.

It also gets Swords Dance (and Swarm), but 16 speed is too slow, and SubSalacSwarm gets wrecked a bit too hard by priority.

Last edited:

gali

I just wanna grill, man!
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Pawniard @ Air Balloon
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 236 Atk / 196 Spd / 36 Def / 36 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

This set is Pawniard's standard SD set, but with one key difference: Air Balloon. With an Air Balloon equipped, things like Gligar and Bunnelby that were formerly hard counters to the little samurai instead become shaky checks that face a very real possibility of being OHKOed. Being immune to Earthquake also gives Pawniard many more opportunities to set up a Swords Dance, turning it into an incredible offensive monster. Unfortunately, by sacrificing Eviolite or Berry Juice, Pawniard loses some of the longevity that makes it so fearsome. However, this can me remedied with Wish support from Spritzee, since pawniard can switch into a lot of threats with its fantastic typing.

Pawniard @ Air Balloon
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 236 Atk / 196 Spd / 36 Def / 36 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

This set is Pawniard's standard SD set, but with one key difference: Air Balloon. With an Air Balloon equipped, things like Gligar and Bunnelby that were formerly hard counters to the little samurai instead become shaky checks that face a very real possibility of being OHKOed. Being immune to Earthquake also gives Pawniard many more opportunities to set up a Swords Dance, turning it into an incredible offensive monster. Unfortunately, by sacrificing Eviolite or Berry Juice, Pawniard loses some of the longevity that makes it so fearsome. However, this can me remedied with Wish support from Spritzee, since pawniard can switch into a lot of threats with its fantastic typing.
You do realize it can't switch into anything bar ground attacks without losing the air balloon

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/weakness-policy.3490336/page-4 - Knock Off does activate Weakness Policy, but hiding behind subs does not.

Drifloon (F) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 36 HP / 164 Def / 84 SDef / 196 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stockpile / Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Will-o-Wisp / Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Fighting
- Baton Pass

Drifloon has plenty of weaknesses. Electric, Ice, Rock, Dark, Ghost. It's quite easy to switch in on one of Drifloon's immunities / resistances to Ground, Fighting, Normal, Bug, Poison, or Grass, force something out, and set up a Stockpile or two. After that, you can tank a super effective hit and activate Weakness Policy and Unburden, and then either sweep with excellent neutral coverage or pass +2/+2/+2/+2 to something else. Max speed to Stockpile ahead of Meditite and Pawniard. Will-o-Wisp lets you cripple switchins and boost easier, as Shadow Ball has good coverage on its own, but Thunderbolt and HP Fighting let you use your boost to clean a bit yourself. If you're feeling brave, you can run Calm Mind over Stockpile and rely on Will-o-Wisp to tank physical hits, but it's a lot riskier.

Calcs are +1 if Drifloon gets a Stockpile on the switch and is attacked because it's slower, +2 if Drifloon boosts on the switch, outspeeds, and boosts again.

+184 SpA Snover Blizzard vs. +1 36 HP / 84 SpD Drifloon: 20-26 (76.9 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO (hail doesn't matter)
196+ Atk Pure Power Meditite Ice Punch vs. +1 36 HP / 164 Def Drifloon: 18-22 (69.2 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
196+ Atk Pure Power Meditite Bullet Punch vs. +1 36 HP / 164 Def Drifloon: 5-6 (19.2 - 23%) -- possible 5HKO
236+ Atk Pawniard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. +2 36 HP / 164 Def Drifloon: 18-24 (69.2 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
220 SpA Refrigerate Amaura Tri Attack vs. +1 36 HP / 84 SpD Drifloon: 20-26 (76.9 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Abra Shadow Ball vs. +1 36 HP / 84 SpD Drifloon: 14-18 (53.8 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
232+ SpA Chinchou Thunderbolt vs. +1 36 HP / 84 SpD Drifloon: 18-24 (69.2 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
28 Atk Croagunk Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. +1 36 HP / 164 Def Drifloon: 10-14 (38.4 - 53.8%) -- 11.3% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Protean Froakie Ice Beam vs. +1 36 HP / 84 SpD Drifloon: 18-24 (69.2 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236 Atk Gligar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. +1 36 HP / 164 Def Drifloon: 14-18 (53.8 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
196+ Atk Honedge Shadow Sneak vs. +1 36 HP / 164 Def Drifloon: 12-14 (46.1 - 53.8%) -- 12.1% chance to 2HKO
240+ SpA Magnemite Thunderbolt vs. +2 36 HP / 84 SpD Drifloon: 18-24 (69.2 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236 Atk Mienfoo Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. +1 36 HP / 164 Def Drifloon: 14-18 (53.8 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
240 SpA Misdreavus Shadow Ball vs. +1 36 HP / 84 SpD Drifloon: 18-24 (69.2 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Porygon Ice Beam vs. +1 36 HP / 84 SpD Drifloon: 12-16 (46.1 - 61.5%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Porygon Ice Beam vs. +2 36 HP / 84 SpD Drifloon: 10-12 (38.4 - 46.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
236+ Atk Scraggy Crunch vs. +2 36 HP / 164 Def Drifloon: 14-18 (53.8 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
196 SpA Staryu Thunderbolt vs. +1 36 HP / 84 SpD Drifloon: 12-16 (46.1 - 61.5%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO
196+ SpA Tangela Ancient Power vs. +1 36 HP / 84 SpD Drifloon: 10-14 (38.4 - 53.8%) -- 11.3% chance to 2HKO
196+ SpA Tangela Ancient Power vs. +2 36 HP / 84 SpD Drifloon: 10-12 (38.4 - 46.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Tyrunt Crunch vs. +1 36 HP / 164 Def Drifloon: 20-24 (76.9 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Tyrunt Crunch vs. +2 36 HP / 164 Def Drifloon: 14-18 (53.8 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

shoutout to sergetank for inspiring this with his weird treecko, and shoutout to sergetank for telling me that knock off actually does activate weakness policy because it didn't work on showdown and that made me sad

Last edited:

Al_Alchemist

Physics and Math \O/
is a Past SPL Champion
A set now legal with the breeding mechanic changes in Gen 6, specifically the one that allows both parents can pass on egg moves now (Belly Drum + Mach Punch for Magby). Also made that much more viable with Berry Juice and Fairy-types.

Magby @ Berry Juice
Ability: Flame Body / Vital Spirit
EVs: 236 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Belly Drum
- Fire Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Mach Punch

Note: You need an HP IV between 10-29 in order to have an HP stat of 20 so Belly Drum will activate Berry Juice, when used at full HP.

What it does:
So basically this set is pretty straight forward: switch in on something that can't kill Magby (or more specifically probably won't do more than 50% and has less than 19 speed), use Belly Drum which activates Berry Juice restoring you back to 100% HP, and proceed to OHKO things. Thunder Punch is chosen for coverage against Water-types and neutrality against Fire- and Rock-types, while Mach Punch is chosen for priority (and super-effective versus Rock-types as well). The choice between Magby's abilities are more up to preference, but I prefer Flame Body for the burn chance, especially since priority and/or a physical move will likely be the attacks an opponent would use to take out Magby. The burn can help Magby either survive, set up, or aid his revenge killer in setting up or attacking. Vital Spirit making it immune to sleep attacks is cool versus Chlorophyll sweepers and Yanma though, so there's that.
+6 236 Atk Magby Fire Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Gligar: 22-27 (95.6 - 117.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
(22, 22, 22, 22, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 25, 25, 25, 25, 25, 27)

+6 236 Atk Magby Fire Punch vs. 0 HP / 52 Def Berry Juice Chinchou: 24-29 (100 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(24, 24, 24, 25, 25, 26, 26, 26, 27, 27, 27, 27, 27, 28, 28, 29)

+6 236 Atk Magby Fire Punch vs. 236 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Porygon: 24-28 (92.3 - 107.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
(24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 25, 25, 25, 25, 25, 27, 27, 27, 27, 27, 28)

+6 236 Atk Magby Thunder Punch vs. 196 HP / 236+ Def Eviolite Slowpoke: 30-36 (107.1 - 128.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(30, 30, 30, 30, 32, 32, 32, 32, 32, 32, 34, 34, 34, 34, 34, 36)

+6 236 Atk Magby Thunder Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Ponyta: 20-24 (95.2 - 114.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
(20, 20, 20, 21, 21, 21, 21, 22, 22, 22, 22, 23, 23, 23, 23, 24)

+6 236 Atk Magby Thunder Punch vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Vulpix: 24-29 (114.2 - 138%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(24, 24, 25, 25, 25, 26, 26, 26, 26, 27, 27, 27, 28, 28, 28, 29)

+6 236 Atk Magby Thunder Punch vs. 0 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Torchic: 17-21 (80.9 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
(17, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 20, 20, 20, 20, 21)

+6 236 Atk Magby Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 196 Def Berry Juice Munchlax: 30-36 (100 - 120%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+6 236 Atk Magby Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Taillow: 22-26 (110 - 130%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(22, 22, 22, 22, 23, 23, 23, 23, 24, 24, 24, 24, 25, 25, 25, 26)

+6 236 Atk Magby Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Life Orb Murkrow: 19-23 (86.3 - 104.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
(19, 19, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 21, 21, 21, 21, 22, 22, 22, 22, 23) *After it uses one LO attack it is at 20 HP

+6 236 Atk Magby Mach Punch vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Choice Scarf Vulpix: 19-23 (90.4 - 109.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
(19, 19, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 21, 21, 21, 21, 22, 22, 22, 22, 23)

How to do it:
Some Pokemon that you can take advantage of are: Swirlix (watch out for Surf), Spirtzee, Snover, Mienfoo, Pawniard, Ferroseed (watch out for Thunder Wave). Although switching into some of these Pokemon may be ill advised, Magby will likely force most of them to switch out. For example, although Choice Scarf Snover only does 8-9 damage against Magby with Blizzard, if you switch into a 9 damage Blizzard, then hail damage will activate Berry Juice before you can Belly Drum, leaving you at about 50% after you use Belly Drum, so you would likely die after the next Blizzard. But an 8 damage Blizzard or a revenge switch in will be more advantageous.

As such, Magby appreciates allies in the form of Grass-types that can likely lure Ice-type attacks and the previously mentioned pokemon in, especially Snover if you're using a Chlorophyll ability Pokemon. Another amazing partner is Compound Eyes + Hypnosis Yanma, which was posted earlier on this page, as it can sleep a Pokemon, and then U-turn into Magby.

Other Options
Flare Blitz, Cross Chop, Thief, Return, and Dual Chop are all possible alternatives to Thunder Punch or Mach Punch (Dual Chop is probably illegal with Belly Drum + Mach Punch though, since it is a BW2 Move Tutor).

Flare Blitz, Cross Chop, and Return all grant several OHKOs not possible by the moves in the listed set, however, they suffer from either recoil damage, 80% accuracy, and/or less type-coverage, respectively. Thief is interesting in the way it can steal Berry Juices, Eviolite, or other items from Pokemon before it either OHKOs it or leaves it severely dented. This allows Magby a way to bypass or survive more of an opponents attempts to kill Magby via the "Fake Out + Switch" tactic, also giving Flame Body more chances to burn the Fake Out user. However, it is a Dark-type 60 BP move that will grant less possible OHKOs than Thunder Punch would provide. Dual Chop, if legal with Belly Drum + Mach Punch, provides a way to KO Abra through Focus Sash, but probably isn't worth it when considering the speed tie.

Likewise, more Def EVs instead of Atk EVs can be used, but you miss out on some important OHKOs, which can lead to Magby getting OHKOd itself.]

Checks/Counters:
Finally, if faced against a Magby at +6 yourself, remember that it does speed tie with Gligar, Staryu, Misdreavus and etc. So while you can possibly take it out with a SE move, or Destiny Bond in Misdreavus' case, it can possibly win the speed tie and do the same back with Fire Punch or Thunder Punch, respectively. So, the better checks to Magby are probably the Sturdy + Berry Juice Pokemon (Dwebble, Tirtouga, Magnemite), Protect + Aqua Jet Carvanha, Eviolite Gligar with the appropriate amount of Def EVs, Fake Out, or you can just try your best to not let it set up by making smart switches and attacks if you think Magby could be coming in and packing more Pokemon with moves that will OHKO Magby. Which might not be too hard when considering that Magby is more frail than it would probably want to be.

Last edited:
A set now legal with the breeding mechanic changes in Gen 6, specifically the one that allows both parents can pass on egg moves now (Belly Drum + Mach Punch for Magby). Also made that much more viable with Berry Juice and Fairy-types.

Magby @ Berry Juice
Ability: Flame Body / Vital Spirit
EVs: 236 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Belly Drum
- Fire Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Mach Punch

Note: You need an HP IV between 10-29 in order to have an HP stat of 20 so Belly Drum will activate Berry Juice, when used at full HP.

What it does:
So basically this set is pretty straight forward: switch in on something that can't kill Magby (or more specifically probably won't do more than 50% and has less than 19 speed), use Belly Drum which activates Berry Juice restoring you back to 100% HP, and proceed to OHKO things. Thunder Punch is chosen for coverage against Water-types and neutrality against Fire- and Rock-types, while Mach Punch is chosen for priority (and super-effective versus Rock-types as well). The choice between Magby's abilities are more up to preference, but I prefer Flame Body for the burn chance, especially since priority and/or a physical move will likely be the attacks an opponent would use to take out Magby. The burn can help Magby either survive, set up, or aid his revenge killer in setting up or attacking. Vital Spirit making it immune to sleep attacks is cool versus Chlorophyll sweepers and Yanma though, so there's that.
+6 236 Atk Magby Fire Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Gligar: 22-27 (95.6 - 117.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
(22, 22, 22, 22, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 25, 25, 25, 25, 25, 27)

+6 236 Atk Magby Fire Punch vs. 0 HP / 52 Def Berry Juice Chinchou: 24-29 (100 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(24, 24, 24, 25, 25, 26, 26, 26, 27, 27, 27, 27, 27, 28, 28, 29)

+6 236 Atk Magby Fire Punch vs. 236 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Porygon: 24-28 (92.3 - 107.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
(24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 25, 25, 25, 25, 25, 27, 27, 27, 27, 27, 28)

+6 236 Atk Magby Thunder Punch vs. 196 HP / 236+ Def Eviolite Slowpoke: 30-36 (107.1 - 128.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+6 236 Atk Magby Thunder Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Ponyta: 20-24 (95.2 - 114.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
(20, 20, 20, 21, 21, 21, 21, 22, 22, 22, 22, 23, 23, 23, 23, 24)

+6 236 Atk Magby Thunder Punch vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Vulpix: 24-29 (114.2 - 138%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(24, 24, 25, 25, 25, 26, 26, 26, 26, 27, 27, 27, 28, 28, 28, 29)

+6 236 Atk Magby Thunder Punch vs. 0 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Torchic: 17-21 (80.9 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
(17, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 20, 20, 20, 20, 21)

+6 236 Atk Magby Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 196 Def Berry Juice Munchlax: 30-36 (100 - 120%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+6 236 Atk Magby Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Taillow: 22-26 (110 - 130%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(22, 22, 22, 22, 23, 23, 23, 23, 24, 24, 24, 24, 25, 25, 25, 26)

+6 236 Atk Magby Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Life Orb Murkrow: 19-23 (86.3 - 104.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
(19, 19, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 21, 21, 21, 21, 22, 22, 22, 22, 23) *After it uses one LO attack it is at 20 HP

+6 236 Atk Magby Mach Punch vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Choice Scarf Vulpix: 19-23 (90.4 - 109.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
(19, 19, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 21, 21, 21, 21, 22, 22, 22, 22, 23)

How to do it:
Some Pokemon that you can take advantage of are: Swirlix (watch out for Surf), Spirtzee, Snover, Mienfoo, Pawniard, Ferroseed (watch out for Thunder Wave). Although switching into some of these Pokemon may be ill advised, Magby will likely force most of them to switch out. For example, although Choice Scarf Snover only does 8-9 damage against Magby with Blizzard, if you switch into a 9 damage Blizzard, then hail damage will activate Berry Juice before you can Belly Drum, leaving you at about 50% after you use Belly Drum, so you would likely die after the next Blizzard. But an 8 damage Blizzard or a revenge switch in will be more advantageous.

As such, Magby appreciates allies in the form of Grass-types that can likely lure Ice-type attacks and the previously mentioned pokemon in, especially Snover if you're using a Chlorophyll ability Pokemon. Another amazing partner is Compound Eyes + Hypnosis Yanma, which was posted earlier on this page, as it can sleep a Pokemon, and then U-turn into Magby.

Other Options
Flare Blitz, Cross Chop, Thief, Return, and Dual Chop are all possible alternatives to Thunder Punch or Mach Punch (Dual Chop is probably illegal with Belly Drum + Mach Punch though, since it is a BW2 Move Tutor).

Flare Blitz, Cross Chop, and Return all grant several OHKOs not possible by the moves in the listed set, however, they suffer from either recoil damage, 80% accuracy, and/or less type-coverage, respectively. Thief is interesting in the way it can steal Berry Juices, Eviolite, or other items from Pokemon before it either OHKOs it or leaves it severely dented. This allows Magby a way to bypass or survive more of an opponents attempts to kill Magby via the "Fake Out + Switch" tactic, also giving Flame Body more chances to burn the Fake Out user. However, it is a Dark-type 60 BP move that will grant less possible OHKOs than Thunder Punch would provide. Dual Chop, if legal with Belly Drum + Mach Punch, provides a way to KO Abra through Focus Sash, but probably isn't worth it when considering the speed tie.

Likewise, more Def EVs instead of Atk EVs can be used, but you miss out on some important OHKOs, which can lead to Magby getting OHKOd itself.]

Checks/Counters:
Finally, if faced against a Magby at +6 yourself, remember that it does speed tie with Gligar, Staryu, Misdreavus and etc. So while you can possibly take it out with a SE move, or Destiny Bond in Misdreavus' case, it can possibly win the speed tie and do the same back with Fire Punch or Thunder Punch, respectively. So, the better checks to Magby are probably the Sturdy + Berry Juice Pokemon (Dwebble, Tirtouga, Magnemite), Protect + Aqua Jet Carvanha, Eviolite Gligar with the appropriate amount of Def EVs, Fake Out, or you can just try your best to not let it set up by making smart switches and attacks if you think Magby could be coming in and packing more Pokemon with moves that will OHKO Magby. Which might not be too hard when considering that Magby is more frail than it would probably want to be.
dat aint no moveset, it s a whole analyses for christs sake :p

swimmmm (Frillish) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 236 SAtk / 236 SDef / 36 Def
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Trick Room
- Water Spout
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam

Offensive Trick Room Frillish! The goal of this set is to set up a Trick Room while the opponent attacks you, hopefully getting you into Berry Juice Range, then, you're moving first with a 150 Base Power STAB move that not many things want to muster! It is better off as a Stand-alone Trick Room sweeper when the opponent's team is weakened off. I'd love to fit Hidden Power [Fire] on here:
236+ SpA Frillish Hidden Power Fire vs. 164 HP / 148 SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 16-20 (69.5 - 86.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
but I don't know where :P.

I love cotton guard, so here's a physical support swirlix!

Swirlix @ Berry Juice
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 220 SDef / 228 Def / 20 HP
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Cotton Guard
- Dazzling Gleam
- Yawn / Flamethrower

Switch in on a physical attacker who can't 2hko swirlix and set up cotton guard. Then, you can pass wish to your teammates, phase with yawn, and it for decent damage. People don't expect a physical swirlix, so it tends to do pretty well.

Edit: My set's so awesome it killed off the thread. :)

Last edited:
Ssin claims this is his set but he never posted it so i take credit lol gg

Murkrow @ Scope Lens
Ability: Super Luck
EVs: 188 Spd / 84 SAtk / 236 Atk
Naive Nature
- Dark Pulse/Hidden Power Ice/Ground/Grass / Roost
- Brave Bird
- Heat Wave
- Sucker Punch

fucking broken

like this thing can sweep through teams, you just need good karma or something like that. I already explained most of this set's stuff in the c&c subforum, so im just gonna link it

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/murkrow-qc-0-3.3496522/#post-5150486

alsoooo this set is very neat:

Gligar @ King's Rock
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 236 Spd / 236 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Fling
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

With SR up, this thing beats Slowpoke switching in on Swords Dance 94.14% of the time (with stealth rock up the field). so now you can say 'nice counter bro'. Fling+King's Rock acts as a 30 base power Dark-type Fake Out, and boosts Acrobatic's power to 110.

+2 236 Atk King's Rock Gligar Fling (30 BP) vs. 196 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Slowpoke: 8-10 (28.5 - 35.7%) -- 1.1% chance to 3HKO
(8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 10)
+2 236 Atk Gligar Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 196 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Slowpoke: 16-21 (57.1 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(16, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 19, 21)

Slowpoke has 25 HP after Stealth Rock. The only case in which you lose is if you roll an 8HP hit with Fling, AND a 16 HP hit with Acrobatics.
(slowpoke can switch out after fling but then you probably kill another mon which is cool too!)

oh yeah, before i forget, you also stop Tirtouga from setting up on you. this set is rly cool :]. It doesn't have as much setup capabilities as SubSD, and it doesn't have the nice Berry Juice regenerator, but if your team desperately needs Slowpoke dead or if the team is weak to tirt, he's your man. (although tirt can still setup on other mons!!!) it's just that if you bring this out early, there's a high chance the opponent will send in tirtouga . if he aqua jets twice you're still dead i think but nobody would aqua jet turn 1 vs gligar. unless this set gets famous :o

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.

Fennekin @ Power Herb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 196 HP / 196 Spd / 100 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Psychic / Hidden Power [Electric]
- Hypnosis / Will-O-Wisp

I was playing around with this and I figured this set is something I wanted to add to this thread! ♥ The combination of Power Herb, Solar Beam, and Magician accomplishes all of these things in one turn: Solar Beam hits all 3 types Fire is weak to for hard super effective damage, and since Power Herb is consumed before Solar Beam is used, it allows Fennekin to steal an item from its target with Magician. Chinchou/Slowpoke switch-ins to this thing will learn a hard lesson. Berry Juice also does not activate for the opponent if Solar Beam takes them into its activation range; it is stolen instead. Magician can be used while attacking normally to repeatedly steal Berry Juice from opponents and sustain its own health if it keeps landing attacks on enemies that are holding it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)