ORAS UU New Guy, New Team, Need Advice

Intro
Sup dawgys, I have been using this UU team for a week or so now to some success. I'm pretty new to competitive battling (been playing for only a few weeks weeks), but have had some success with this team.(If a measure is needed I am up to mid 1400s on the ladder, almost reached 1500 a few times but havent broken that barrier yet) I tried tweaking the team without any input and ended up opening up more holes in it, so I am here. Above all, I am here to learn and become a better player. Any and all advice is welcome.

The Squad

So first, the team photo:

Initial thoughts, purple swampert is a sex machine.

This purpose of this team is getting up rocks and keeping them there to allow for the offense on this team to wreak havoc on opponents constantly taking rock damage. What I like about this team is that it can roll with momentum if need be, but also has members that can slow a match down if I run into trouble. It does have weaknesses and annoyances that I will get into later, but for now, the specifics:

Hi (Azelf) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Flamethrower
- Knock Off
- Taunt

Azelf is generally my lead for this team. I originally had frostlass in its spot as a suicide lead, but either because I was innaffective with it or that it wasn't all that useful to this team, I switched to my boy azelf over here. Sash Azelf is a pretty well known set, but I made a few tweaks to make it more surprising and useful. This Azelf, though it started as a suicide lead, has much more to offer. Stealth Rock was a must as the offense on my team feeds off the residual damage. Taunt to prevent opponents from setting up there own hazards. I then opted for flamethrower, mainly to hit forretress hard, bug types like galvantula and beedrill, and chip away at mega aggron. Flamethrower has often caught opponents off guard, dont really know why its listed on smogon. last I have knock off, which has proved very useful in crippling choiced attackers. EVs are set to maximize the power of knock off and max speed to be able to taunt before other entry hazard leads.

BONGLORD (Sableye) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Sableye fulfills a few roles in this team. It is my teams spin blocker, a switch in for fighting threats, a decent counter to clerics, and a general annoyance to the other team. I LOVE prankster sableye. With prankster, will-o-wisp can really hurt fast physical attackers and priority taunt means that blissey, umbreon, florges etc. cant use restoration moves. Priority recover allows for sableye to linger around, possibly pulling its tom-foolery on many members of the opposing team that isnt prepared for it. It can also take a hit with the SpD and HP evs, and with recover can function as a makeshift switch in to alot of special attackers. Knock off rounds off the set to hit switch ins and give it another way to annoy the opponent.

Frog (Swampert) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Roar

Swampert also performs alot of functions for this team. For one, it is a very reliable rock setter. You may ask, why have two rockers on my team? And my answer is that I didn't like being pigeonholed into always setting rocks with azelf and potentially losing it. Having Swampert also have rocks allows me much more flexibility with Azelf, and on a team that relies on entry hazards wearing down opponents, its imperative that rocks do get up. Scald is Scald, so useful STAB for pert. Earthquake is secondary STAB and can hit hard against fire types. Swampert can take a hit and is often my default switch in if nothing else on my team works. Roar allows pert to oust set up sweepers before they can wreck my team, and also racks up stealth rock damage on the forced switch. Swampert is also a very important check for entei, darmanitan and other fire types which wreck my team without swampert.

Blowbat (Crobat) @ Choice Band
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Cross Poison
- Defog

Crobat was the first offensive threat I added to this team. At 394 speed it is really only outsped by some choice users and megas. U-turn is great for momentum and allows it to get in and out without taking extraordinary damage. Defog is there for utility. Brave Bird hits hard on alot of the tier and isnt all that bad to be choiced into if crobat stays in for multiple turns to inflict maximum damage. Cross poison is there as a secondary STAB and hits fairies hard. I have debated changing cross poison as I do not use it that often. Also, Crobat provides an alright switch in the sylveon as it can take a moonblast.

FineWoolyAss (Mamoswine) @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off

Mamoswine was my second add as its two STAB moves hit nearly the whole tier and hits it hard. This is a standard smogon set that I didnt find a real need to tweak because it was so effective. Prioriry Ice Shard also comes in handy for revenge kills and can hits hard on dragon and flying types. I have debated switching this mamoswine to a choice set to negate the life orb damage and allow it to stick around longer, but am not sure about making that change as I like mamoswines coverage. Knock off rounds out the set to hit pokemon that rely on their items excesively.

CELEBAE (Celebi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Recover

Nasty Plot Celebi, i think, ties this team together. It is the only set up sweeper on this team. It also hits bulky water types like suicune and swampert which without celebi can run riot on my team. I opted for leftovers and recover so it has some staying power, although I have wrestled with using a life orb set.

If I were to sum this team up, I'd say the core of azelf/swampert/sableye functions to set up rocks, keep them there, keep my offense from taking hits, and stall/annoy threats that my team doesn't have great checks for. crobat/mamoswine/celebi are meant to take advantage of residual damage and pick off opponents quickly.

Some threats I noticed using this team. Part of this could be my noobness not using this team well or it could be a glaring hole, but I'll mention what I noticed nevertheless. I have usually been able to deal with hydreigon but I dont have a great check for it to the best of my knowlege. If swampert goes down choice darmanitan wrecks me. Empoleon is more of an annoyance that a threat as I dont have much to hit it hard. I have trouble with galvantula if I dont get rid of it early. I have also had alot of trouble with crawdaunt

I put a lot of effort into making this team. I tried many combinations of offensive threats before this team started to win. However, I can be considered very new to competitive battling as I have been playing seriously for only a few weeks. I tried to do my homework as best I can but I feel like I have to be missing something somewhere. Any and all advice is welcome. Please correct me if I have made any mistakes or incorrect assumptions. Above all, I am here to learn

Respect

-blametheliquor

Last edited:

Manipulative

Camila <3
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey there! Cool team, but there's certainly room for improvement. I've noticed some redundant choices in the team and will help you fix them.

• You're currently using both a Suicide Lead in Azelf as well as an additional Stealth Rock setter in Swampert. There's honestly no need to have two Stealth Rock users on the team, and I feel that Azelf would be the better of the two to replace, seeing as this is not a Hyper Offense team and Swampert acts as your Entei switch-in. I also noticed that you're not taking advantage of your Mega-slot. I suggest replacing Azelf with Mega Aerodactyl. What this change does is give your team a well-needed boost in both speed and power, effectively helping you better check a large portion of the meta. With access to Pursuit, you'll also have a much more solid answer than you currently have to threats such as Mega Beedrill and Chandelure. You can choose between Earthquake for mons such as Cobalion and Lucario, or Aqua Tail for the likes of Krookodile and Mamoswine. Here's the set:

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 216 Atk / 40 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Earthquake / Aqua Tail​

• Having CB Crobat as your hazard remover on this team also hurts it. You don't want to be locked into Defog every time you use it. Additionally, part of the reason you're using Sableye on this team is to block Rapid Spin, so it would make more sense to have your own Spinner, rather than clearing your opponent's side of the field as well with Defog. As such, I suggest replacing Crobat with Offensive Tentacruel. There are several ways this change will help your team. Aside from being a Spinner, it also gives your team a grounded Poison-type so that you're able to remove Toxic Spikes just by switching in. Additionally, it is able to get a lot of surprise kills on threats such as Mamoswine and Krookodile, as Tentacruel is more known for running its defensive set. The extra water resistance also helps and means that you'll have something apart from Celebi to get damage off on Crawdaunt with, which you mentioned is a threat. Tentacruel also maintains resistances to Fighting and Fairy. Ice Beam is there for more coverage, but you can feel free to try out Toxic Spikes in that slot if you prefer. Here's the set:

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Clear Body
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Sludge Wave
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam / Toxic Spikes

• Stacking Ground-types is also pretty redundant. I suggest replacing Mamoswine with Specs Sylveon. Your team currently can't switch into Hydreigon, arguably the best pokemon in the tier, which is really problematic to say the least. This change allows you to switch into its most common moves, while also keeping a strong wallbreaking presence. Hyper Beam is my personal preference as it allows Sylveon to muscle past some really fat mons in emergency situations, but HP Fire is also an option. Here's the set:

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Hyper Beam / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock
- Baton Pass​

• Lastly, I suggest replacing Recover with Dazzling Gleam on Celebi. Since you're running a set with Leftovers and Giga Drain, you can afford to let go of Recover and opt for coverage instead. Dazzling Gleam would give you more security against the likes of Hydreigon.

I hope this helped, and good luck with the team!

just a couple of thoughts.

if the purpose of this team is to set up rocks and keep them there then defog is a bit counter intuitive (not saying its a bad thing though).
Swapping crobat for a rapid spin hitmonlee set can alleviate the pressure hydreigon/empoleon/crawdaunt give.

Hitmonlee @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin

Also scarf hydreigon cant ohko lee (252 SpA Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Hitmonlee: 190-225 (78.8 - 93.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock) so you can bring it in on a sac and rek it with a HJK (note. mach punch does 60-70%).

i believe froslass is also a better mon over azelf. It can still taunt galvantula and destiny bond it if it stays in. Also it beats hydreigon 1v1 only if it leads and isnt a stallbreaker set by using icy wind first then D Bond. Spikes is also a nice addition having extra entry damage instead if just SR.

Froslass @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Spikes
- Icy Wind

If you want to have a defog punisher somewhere in your team then defiant tornadus can be very nice. I have alot of fun with it.

Last edited:
hey guys,

I really appreciate the suggestions.

I didn't notice the redundancies, probably because I got attached to my first real team. Also, in hindsight, I should've realized on my own that defog on Crobat contradicted my stated strategy.

I am gonna mess around with the suggestions you guys made. A lot of them are really interesting.

Again, thanks

Just a final note, try this in place of Crowbat as it might help. I know it's been mentioned that you should replace him before, but try this.

Staraptor @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Defog
- Brave Bird

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)