Newcomer seeking team advice.

Hello to everyone on these forums! I am Raven8, and I am a newcomer to the world of competitive battling.

Years and years ago I played Pokemon Blue, got pretty good, and quit for one reason or another. After some time, I went online just to see what had happened in this world since then, and quickly discovered Smogon. Seeing all of the strategies and information that run so rampant here, I quickly came to a realization: I wasn't pretty good at Pokemon, I stunk! So, long story short, I bought Black in September and played in preparation for X and Y, and am now trying to play on a higher metagame than before.

This is my main X/Y team, which has evolved quite a bit since its initial incarnation. Most of the movesets are taken directly from Smogon or are variations there-of. I've had quite a bit of luck with this team, but really want advice so that I can understand a more competitive player's perspective.

Deoxys-D @ Red Card

Timid nature, 252 HP, 252 Speed, 4 Sp. Def
Pressure
-Stealth Rock
-Recover
-Taunt
-Magic Coat

Main Role: Lead

My generally designated lead, and a fairly straight-forward set. I try to open with stealth Rock or Magic coat based on what it looks like the opponent is going to do. I opted for Recover to help keep rocks on the field. I also use him as a switch-in on Toxic-poisoned foes on occasion, courtesy of Sylveon, who is mentioned below. I opted for a Red Card because it generally puts opposing leads in a very bad spot. There have been many times that it prevented Stealth Rock on my side entirely as they're switched out after taunting, then they don't have the advantage of full HP when they return.

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest

Adamant nature, 252 HP, 252 Sp. Def, 4 Attack.
Sand Stream
-Stone Edge
-Crunch
-Earthquake
-Pursuit

Main Role: Special Wall

This guy has carried my team more times than I can count. I'm sure that I don't have to say just how amazing a special wall Assault Vest Tyranitar is... I've seen him survive a Focus Blast from Mega Mewtwo Y, and he even tanks even non-fighting super effective hits like a pro. He also hits fairly hard and tends to wreck with Pursuit. Not to mention he helps me in weather wars, as most of my team doesn't mind a sandstorm. I know that you guys understand just how great this guy is, but DANG I love what he does.

Skarmory @ Leftovers

Impish nature, 252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Sp. Def.
Sturdy
-Roost
-Spikes
-Brave Bird
-Whirlwind

Main Role: Physical Wall

This one should be fairly self-explanatory, as I believe that this is Skarm's most common move-set. He primarily works as a spiker/physical wall with the ability to phase the opponent. Tyranitar handles most Electric/Fire attacks that Skarm hates, though neither one appreciates Fighting too much.

Sylveon @ Leftovers

Calm nature, 252 Defense, 252 HP, 4 Sp. Atk.
Pixilate
-Wish
-Protect
-Toxic
-Hyper Voice

Main Roles: Wish Passer, Status Inducer, Lesser Mixed Wall

Really did not expect to like Sylveon, but she sure as heck grew on me. The move-set is fairly standard and straight-forward, and in a lot of ways she's been one of the staples for my team. She can put an expiration date on many walls with Toxic, can take special hits almost as well as Tyranitar with Wish in play, and takes physical hits surprisingly well as well. Her typing also has great synergy with both Tyranitar and Skarmory, as between the three of them, SOMETHING can switch in.

Terrakion @ Focus Band

Jolly nature, 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP.
Justified
-Stone Edge
-Close Combat
-X-Scissor
-Iron Head

Main Role: Revenge Killer

He hits like a ton of bricks and can eliminate most targets with one of these moves. I know that everyone knows how good Terrakion is, and I can't help but agree. When I throw this guy out, he tends to almost always score at least 1 KO, frequently 2. Given the more defensive base that I have up until now, I tend to make quite a few holes for this guy to slip through and wreak havoc, and he makes a fantastic surprise switch-in at numerous points in the battle.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite

Jolly nature, 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP.
Moxie>Aerilate
-Return
-Quick Attack
-Earthquake
-Swords Dance

Main Roles: Boosting Sweeper/Cleaner

This is actually the final goal of the set. I try my best to use my more defensive core and Terrakion to weaken the opponent's team and punch holes, and then I pull out Pinsir to either A: clean up what's left or B: get in a Swords Dance and turn into death incarnate. By the time the opponent has dealt with my other shenanigans, they're usually no longer in a position to deal with Pinsir, and I'm just fine with that.

My Thoughts/Observations

The biggest issues that I tend to have are against physically-based Fire types. In particular, Infernape. To a lesser extent I see problems with Talonflame, but Tyranitar can generally switch in and make quick work of it, in spite of the cost of around 1/2 HP on average. I have some problem with status, in particular Burn on Tyranitar and Toxic Poison on Sylveon, but I really don't want to sacrifice Toxic for Heal Bell on Sylveon. In general, I feel as though this team may not have a ton of offensive power behind it, but of any team I've made, it has the best all-around synergy and the ability to deal with the most threats, though I'm sure that those frequenting this forum who have read this far already have a way to shut my entire team down completely. =P

Well, thank you very much for taking a look, and I am very open to all comments and opinions. My main goal is to improve, so please don't pull any punches.

I can see Infernape being a problem on your team. You might want to replace Terrakion for Alakazam. Both plays the revenge killer really well but Alakazam plays it better because it has magic guard (avoids hazard damage), better speed and special attack (compared to Terrakion attack) and can pressure infernape out.

Another thing i would replace is leftovers for rocky helmet. rocky helmet is there to cause even more grief to physical attackers and you can roost up the damage taken.

Other than that, looks pretty good.

I would replace a move on skarmory to get defog. Since you are running Mega-Pinsir and it is best to get him in without taking 25% to Half of his HP on switch. and since skarm is a pretty good defogger and you really need a way to get rid of hazards you best bet would be to replace spikes or Brave Bird(this will make skarm taunt bait so be careful.)

hope this helps

leafbarrett

Better than he thinks
I can see Infernape being a problem on your team. You might want to replace Terrakion for Alakazam. Both plays the revenge killer really well but Alakazam plays it better because it has magic guard (avoids hazard damage), better speed and special attack (compared to Terrakion attack) and can pressure infernape out.

Another thing i would replace is leftovers for rocky helmet. rocky helmet is there to cause even more grief to physical attackers and you can roost up the damage taken.

Other than that, looks pretty good.
Um... You have a Sylveon. Remind me how Infernape is supposed to be a problem again?
Alakazam is... really not that great. I'd stick to Terrakion. Maybe swap out the Band for a Scarf if he's meant to be a revenge killer.

Um... You have a Sylveon. Remind me how Infernape is supposed to be a problem again?
Alakazam is... really not that great. I'd stick to Terrakion. Maybe swap out the Band for a Scarf if he's meant to be a revenge killer.
Well considering that he does not have a special attacker besides a defensive sylveon, a physical wall such a hippodwon walls his team completely. And alakazam in my opinion a better revenge killer. It doesn't take entry hazards, status damage, weather damage and with focus sash, it is also guarantee a kill (unless your doing something wrong.)

(assuming we're using the same infernape set as mine one)
As for sylveon walling infernape, it's not going to do a good job at it. 4/6 (5 if you count gaining momentum through u-turn) of his pokes are weak to the infernape set. Sylveon cant switch in when infernape is around unless it wants to take massive damage. After reading your comment, and friend and myself decided to test this and we concluded that 8/10 times, sylveon is out matched (the 2 time was when he predicted me to switch in) as infernape is able to gain momentum on sylveon by u-turning out and switching appropriately. Sylveon can wall infernape if you play really well, but since he is newcomer, it would be hard for him to do so.

252 Atk Choice Band Infernape Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Sylveon: 259-306 (65.7 - 77.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Infernape Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 288-342 (86.2 - 102.3%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Infernape Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 928-1096 (229.7 - 271.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Infernape Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Pinsir: 432-510 (158.8 - 187.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Infernape Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 548-648 (169.6 - 200.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Note: mega pinsir can OHKO it first if it is already mega evolved, if terrakion is scarfed, it can OHKO it.

Hello there, nice team you've got there. Since Deoxys's Role is to set up SR (maybe bounce back status), exactly why do you run Recover? I feel like that slot could be better used by something like Spikes (more hazards, especially if you replace Skarmory's spikes), Toxic/T-Wave (status: probably run t-wave since sylveon can do toxic), or maybe even seismic toss or knock off to deal a bit of damage/items.

Also, you may want to opt for a spinner as opposed to a defogger, especially if you choose to use spikes on deoxys. Why waste the turns you've spent on setting up hazards to get rid of them? Also, from what I see, people don't pack spinblockers very often (or maybe I'm just not fighting teams that need spinblockers), and the switch-in is pretty predictable, so you can hit them on the switch, or just spin away your hazards (I'm not sure what the spinblockers are, so I'm just giving some ghost-types that I see). Not sure how it would add to weaknesses, so I dunno how good the addition would be in terms of type synergy.
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 560-660 (213.7 - 251.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Mold Breaker Bypasses Levitate)
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Chandelure: 404-476 (154.7 - 182.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Jellicent: 247-292 (61.1 - 72.2%)
-- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (If you can get it on the switch, it goes down nicely)​

first off allow me to thank you for taking the time to lurk properly before posting a rmt, this is really good for a first rmt you have made the raters jobn a lot easier, my first suggestion would be to drop the focus band for a scarf on terrakion, this allows terrakion to beat out fast pokemon which is a must have for a revenge killer, It also allows you to be a much better late game sweeper should the situation arise, terrakion really appreciates the speed as he has a shit tone of weaknesses, on a more minor note i would suggest running frustration over return on pinsir, just makesure to minimize the happiness, this is done for one reason, Ditto, it hits just as hard and has no other draw backs, as i said it's minor but there is literally no reason not to make this change

First: thank you all so much for your advice. I've been experimenting with several different options suggested and have actually learned quite a bit about team-building in general.

XNaminex: I've had some luck against Infernape with Sylveon, but I'm still fairly unsure of timing on getting off the right move in many cases, so that tends to be a problem. My best option is normally prediction, as an Earthquake from my Tyranitar normally does the job. In short, I tend to just cringe when I see an Infernape, or God forbid a Blaziken.

Mango Smoothie: I opted for Recover on Deoxys as I've had a bit too many encounters where my rocker died and my opponent was running Defog. Also, if I go for defog I'm just going to forget about Spikes entirely. Though I was thinking about running Thunder Wave to help with offensive teams. As for Excadrill: I do occasionally run it in place of Deoxys. When I do, I go back to my Spikes Skarm.

ninjawhitetiger: Thanks very much. I tried to emulate the general format that you guys use for just that reason. I'm just very happy to have so many responses and ideas. I'm learning a ton. For example: I never would have thought about your point with Pinsir. As for Terrakion; my main reason for running a band over a scarf is the ability to switch it in on a resisted special hit with Sandstorm up for a surprise wall-breaking rampage rather than a revenge kill, but I suppose that does leave me open for a sweeper when I inevitably switch it against a counter.

As for Terrakion in general, I've tried what I view as splitting the difference between it and Alakazam and have been trying this guy with more than a bit of success:

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf

Timid Nature, 252 S.Atk, 252 Speed, 4 Def.
Justified
-Hydro Pump
-Secret Sword
-Icy Wind
-Hidden Power Ghost

Same basic role as Terrakion, but he manages to meet the best of both worlds, in my opinion anyway. Its water typing makes it a bit easier to deal with things like Infernape, and it makes my team more effective against physically defensive 'mons.

Would this be considered a good choice for this team? And thanks again to everyone who's offered their help. It's seriously appreciated!

First: thank you all so much for your advice. I've been experimenting with several different options suggested and have actually learned quite a bit about team-building in general.

XNaminex: I've had some luck against Infernape with Sylveon, but I'm still fairly unsure of timing on getting off the right move in many cases, so that tends to be a problem. My best option is normally prediction, as an Earthquake from my Tyranitar normally does the job. In short, I tend to just cringe when I see an Infernape, or God forbid a Blaziken.

Mango Smoothie: I opted for Recover on Deoxys as I've had a bit too many encounters where my rocker died and my opponent was running Defog. Also, if I go for defog I'm just going to forget about Spikes entirely. Though I was thinking about running Thunder Wave to help with offensive teams. As for Excadrill: I do occasionally run it in place of Deoxys. When I do, I go back to my Spikes Skarm.

ninjawhitetiger: Thanks very much. I tried to emulate the general format that you guys use for just that reason. I'm just very happy to have so many responses and ideas. I'm learning a ton. For example: I never would have thought about your point with Pinsir. As for Terrakion; my main reason for running a band over a scarf is the ability to switch it in on a resisted special hit with Sandstorm up for a surprise wall-breaking rampage rather than a revenge kill, but I suppose that does leave me open for a sweeper when I inevitably switch it against a counter.

As for Terrakion in general, I've tried what I view as splitting the difference between it and Alakazam and have been trying this guy with more than a bit of success:

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf

Timid Nature, 252 S.Atk, 252 Speed, 4 Def.
Justified
-Hydro Pump
-Secret Sword
-Icy Wind
-Hidden Power Ghost

Same basic role as Terrakion, but he manages to meet the best of both worlds, in my opinion anyway. Its water typing makes it a bit easier to deal with things like Infernape, and it makes my team more effective against physically defensive 'mons.

Would this be considered a good choice for this team? And thanks again to everyone who's offered their help. It's seriously appreciated!
yes i do think keldeo fits in well here, the only thing i would push for is hp bug > hp ghost because it allows you to hit a few things harder, most noteably celebi, while still hitting those psychic types for SE damage and also letting it catch dark and grass types as well.

Listened to the general information here in regards to Deoxys, and made the following change:

Deoxys D @ Red Card

Jolly nature, 252 HP, 252 Speed, 4 Def.
Pressure
-Stealth Rock
-Recover > Knock Off
-Taunt
-Magic Coat

Main Role: Lead

The addition of Knock Off makes the mind games so much more fun. When combined with Red Card, I can often eliminate an item from a 'mon that the opponent doesn't really expect. It just adds to the "mess with you" feel that he has and makes him so much more of a pain to deal with.

Keldeo is working out great. Had someone online throw Mega Kangaskhan at me, pull off a Power-Up Punch, and then proceed to take down Deoxys. I brought in Keldeo, and it was simply amazing.... he used Sucker Punch against my Secret Sword. Keldeo toughed it out, gaining +2 attack thanks to Justified (I know it doesn't really help him, but it was just made the moment so much more epic) and scoring what is probably the most beautiful KO I've ever seen. Only semi-related to RMT, but it was just so beautiful.....

Again, thanks a ton everyone. You've all really helped me out, and I greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)