Noobie: Rain Dancers OU "rain brings the pain"

Well Im brand new to Smogon and competitive battling in general I have always played Pokémon growing up. I have made a few teams but this is my favorite it’s a rain dance team….kinda. When I first started making teams I found myself being mesmerized by RD teams they’re just fun as hell but I didn’t want to make a team that relied completely on weather I wanted it to be able to function without rain and that’s my concept. 90% of my losses are due to my noobie mistakes, but I'm learning.

The Rain Brings the Pain

The Lead:
Azelf A.K.A. Dangermouse – He’s small cute and Dangerous
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Levitate
Item: Damp Rock
EV: 252HP/252Speed/4Atk
-Rain Dance
-Stealth Rock
- U-Turn
-Explosion

I LOVE this guy as a RD lead he’s fast he stops most leads from setting up. He sets SR up 95% of the time unless there’s a faster lead in that case I either attack or switch to a counter or Forretress. RD is the basis for the team SR softens enemy pokemon. U-Turn to make a quick getaway and Explosion is there to put a dent in one of the enemies Pokémon later on or stop a baton pass chain. The EVs and nature are there to maximize speed as much as possible and HP is there to maximize bulk helping Azelf to stay alive long enough to get SR and RD up. Damp Rock is there to prolong the rain.

The Wall/Supporter:
Forretress A.K.A. Fort Knox- Nothing gets past this guy
Nature: Relaxed
Ability: Sturdy
Item: Shed Shell
EV: 252HP/144Def/112Atk
-Toxic Spikes
-Payback
-Explosion
-Rapid Spin

Forretress lays down two layers of spike then his job is done I don’t need anything more I am actually thinking of replacing him with Roserade if I don’t replace Azelf with Roserade. Toxic Spikes is very important they help me take care of bulky waters that can trouble my team if I can’t spam lightning. Earthquake takes out steals like Metagross, Heatran (with prediction) and Empoleon but payback was put in for rotom and I find it works great. Explosion helps me switch out easy and take out baton pass chains. Rapid spin is to take out opposing entry hazards. The EV’s are the standard pulled off the site to maximize bulk the ATK EVs are there to bring the pain I'm thinking of using a +SPDef nature and using 252SpDef/252HP to help him survive on both ends of the spectrum but I find this is working well.

The Revenger:
Rotom-W A.K.A SpinCycle – This washer came back to life…For REVENGE
Nature: Timid
Ability: Levitate
Item: Choice Scarf
EV: 252Spa/252Spe/4Def
-Hydro Pump
-Thunder
-Shadowball
-Trick

Oh boy I love this guy he is awesome. This is my revenge killer and he does pretty well. Hydro Pump is a pseudo stab in the rain and has awesome coverage. Thunder always hits in the rain and being a STAB it hits hard the 30% para rate is icing on the cake. Shadowball has good coverage and is a second STAB. Trick helps me stop walls like Blissy, Snorelax, Vaporeon ect… The nature is picked to max speed the EV’s are chosen to max speed and Spa.

The Star
Kingdra A.K.A. Revy – Named after the beautiful and deadly muscle of the Black Lagoon Company
Nature: Naughty
Ability: Swift Swim
Item: Lum Berry
EV: 198Atk/176Spe/136Spa
-Waterfall
-Hydro Pump
-Outrage
-Dragon Dance

Kingdra is a beast and is just a menace to opposing teams in the rain. I usually set her up on a switch after a dragon dance or 2 she wipes out most things after SR/Toxic Spike Damage if not everything. Swift Swim is chosen for the speed boost in the rain. Dragon/Water has awesome coverage. Waterfall is my main attack boosted by DD and rain it hurts everything. Outrage is my second main powerful stab. Hydro Pump is no joke, in the rain either helping me hit from both ends of the spectrum. Dragon Dance makes Kingdra faster than lots of scarf wearers in the rain and helps her hit harder. Nature is chosen to boost ATK without hindering SPA I don’t mind the DEF drop because Kingdra comes in on special attackers mostly like Heatran.

Your Worst Nightmare
Empoleon A.K.A. Poseidon – This is the true god of the sea…errr rain?
Nature: Modest
Ability: Torrent
Item: Petaya Berry
EV: 12HP/12Def/252Spa/232Spe
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Substitute
-Agility

I said Kingdra was the star of the show but the truth is SubPetaya Empoleon is the single greatest sweeper in OU. I switch him in on something locked that can’t do much damage and set up and sweep Empoleon takes out 2-3 Pokémon a game most of the time. This is the standard set pulled off smog and it works wonders. EVs are for Max Spa the speed is to make Empoleon more effective at sweeping beating many choice scarfers after agility, and 12 into HP to make his HP divisible by four. Substitute is there to help me get into torrent, petaya range and to set up Agility (I try to get two under my belt then I start to sweep). Surf/Ice Beam is for coverage I chose ice beam over grass knot because I can beat most bulky waters with my other pokes. I chose surf over hydro pump because I like having the accuracy having less than 30% health can be scary and if I miss that will be the end of my sweep plus in the rain surf gets a huge boost on top of Torrent/Petaya. Empoleon ends matches I’d like to say that I save him for end games but I bring him out whenever I have a good feel on my enemy’s team.

Rain Support
Jolteon A.K.A Psycho Killer – No shock therapy in the world can’t stop this genetically enhanced Eevee
Nature: Timid
Ability: Volt Absorb
EV 252Spe/4HP/252Spa
Life Orb
-Rain Dance
-Thunderbolt
-HP Grass/Shadow Ball
-Baton Pass

This guy is a great rain dance supporter I usually use him to set up rain then baton pass out. There isn’t a whole lot to say about him he covers Empoleon’s weakness to lightning switching in on a predicted lightning attack sets up and leaves he’s also a late game sweeper. I used HP Grass for a bit but was un satisfied I found that shadow ball gave good enough coverage and served as a good check to ghost types that are ever so present. Rain dance is for setting up my sweepers, Baton pass is to get Jolteon out safe. I chose life orb over damp rock to help Jolt sweep later if need be. There isn’t too much to say because he has a simple job and he does it great.

After play testing this for a while I was impressed it’s a fun team and I’m winning a decent amount of matches with it but it needs some work I wish I could tell you what pokemon I have problems with but there aren’t many my biggest issue being new to battling is not making good prediction.

Team Building Process
1) Building a semi rain dance team I wanted to have one mixed swift swimmer and a nasty special attacker so I picked Empoleon because he was the nastiest Special sweeper in OU hands down and then I chose Kingdra because she is the nastiest swift swimmer I chose the Uber set up because it can work in the rain and out of the rain and attack on both ends of the spectrum.

2) I needed entry hazards to help Empoleon even more dangerous so originally I had a Roserade lead but it wasn’t working as good as I wanted it to and then I saw Azelf learned RD so I chose azelf he’s fast and powerful. Next was Forretress naturally he can set up spike to take care of sponges and bulky waters. One RD check, one SR check, spiker check, rapid spinner check.

3) Next was a revenge killer something scarfed I didn’t want something water based but could take advantage of the rain and everyone needs a ghost on their team I had a Rotom-H as a revenger before and I loved it so I went for Rotom-W and I wasn’t disappointed again.

4) Lastly was a second RD I like fast things and I wanted something that could soak up lightning attacks aimed at Empoleon I used lantern (yea slow) but was unimpressed I chose Jolteon because he could support my team and be a late game sweeper, plus he is one of the fastest dancers in the game.

5) Note: I used a Roserade lead and Bronzong in place of Forretress originally.

Threat list:

Abomasnow: Havent fought one yet think id RD on it then U-Turn out

Aerodactyl: easy as pie it practically kills itself then forretress spins rocks away

Starmie: I used to run a starmie lead I loved it, rotom and jolt kill it

Alakazam: haven’t fought one yet can be scary though

Azelf: Azelf u-turns to rotom

Breloom: can be a pain in the ass think last one I fought I had empoleon take it out w/ice beam
Dragonite: empoleon, kigdra

Dugtrio: kingdra kills this fella

Electivire: haven’t fought one yet but I pray I don’t give it a electric boost think id blow up on it

Empoleon: rotom and jolteon

Flygon: in the rain kingdra outspeeds and wrecks it

Gallade: Rotom wrecks him

Gyarados: I bring the thunder (rotom, Jolteon)

Heatran: kigdra sets up on him and washes him away

Heracross: haven’t fought one yet

Infernape: kingdra can take the cc and wash him away

Jirachi: scarfed version give me the most trouble

Jolteon: hmm dunno haven’t faced one yet ill blow up on it though

Kingdra: haven’t faced on ill be scared when I do though

Latias: Kingdra OHKO but I need to be set up or predict the switch

Lucario: 75% of the time im set up and either of my sweepers kill it but if im not it can hurt

Machamp: Dynamic Punch confusion is the worst thing. I can usually switch rotom on Dynamic Punch and trick scarf onto it

Magnezone: it trys to trap empoleon after I have a agility and gets OHKO

Mamoswine: easy as pie

Metagross: empoleon can kill it

Porygon-Z: Scarfed versions suck ass but I can kill it with kigdra

Raikou: its swept me before so I will blow up on it on the future

Rhyperior: I can take him out with kigdra and empoleon if I have the jump on him

Starmie: u-turn on the lead version then t-bolt it out

Togekiss: rotom and jolteon kills it

Tyranitar: Usually kills rotom but kingdra and empoleon killes it

Weavile: haven’t fought one yet but I think I could beat it with any of my sweepers

Yanmega: haven’t faced one yet, oddly enough I think id blow up on it though Ive had bad yanmega experiances

Blissey: trick a scarf onto it and set up empoleon

Bronzong: haven’t faced one

Celebi: Blow Up or Ice beam it

Cresselia: haven’t faced one yet

Donphan: no issue

Foretress: haven’t faced one yet but all the SPATK on my team should be able to handle it

Gliscor: no issue

Hippowdon: no issue

Skarmory: rotom, jolteon, and the rest of my sweepers take this hunk o metal outta the sky

Salamence: easy as pie after a n agility I can ice beam this jerk outta the sky

Snorlax: A pain in my ass I soften up with explosion and hope one of my sweeper can take him out

Scizor’s: Empoleon and Kigdra takes care of scizor

Suicune: After spikes it’s no issue for kigdra

Gengar: if it’s not scarfed rotom kills it, and jolteon does too

Swampert: after spikes it’s taken care of by anyone on my team

Tentacruel: this jellyfish is a little tough but I come out on top with kigdra I usually let empoleon set up on him if it doesn’t have HP electric

Vaporeon: Jolteon and Rotom destroy this tough cookie

Zapdos: If Empoleon has set up I can take him out

EspyJoel

Espy <3
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi, I'll help you out a bit.

On Azelf, I'd switch U-turn for Taunt as at the moment if you see a Smeargle or Roserade lead, you are pretty much screwed with no-one to take the sleep however you can Taunt them and then set up Stealth Rock to break their sash the next time they come in.

Now onto Rotom-W, a great Rain Dance supporter, but on a Rain Dance team, the Scarfer is not the best set, here's a better set:

Rotom-W @ Damp Rock ¦ Leviatate
Timid ¦ 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe or 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rain Dance / Hydro Pump / Shadow Ball / Thunder

This thing is pretty deadly under the rain assuming your opponent doesn't have a Blissey or Snorlax. You can set up 8 turns of rain and make good use of it through boosted Hydro Pumps and 100% accurate Thunders. Shadow Ball is for Celebi and Rotom-A among others. Timid nature is to outrun Adamant Lucario who can be a major nuisance to RD teams with its ExtremeSpeeds. As for the EV spread I always preferred more bulk but you can use the more offensive one if you prefer that.

You don't need Jolteon as its pretty much overlapping Rotom-W, replace it for Ludicolo who can make great use of the Rain and deal with bulky waters well, for your team the special sweeper would probably be best:

Ludicolo @ Life Orb ¦ Swift Swim
Modest ¦ 60 HP / 252 SpA / 196 Spe
Rain Dance / Grass Knot / Ice Beam / Surf

EVs outspeed +1 neutral natured base 100s like Adamant Scarf Flygon while the extra HP EVs can come in handy when taking priority moves. Grass Knot is the best grass move as only Vaporeon is hit harder by Energy Ball and Rotom-W can deal with that with Thunders especially since in the rain Thunder has a 30% chance to hit through protect. Ice Beam for dragons and grasses while Surf chosen over Hydro Pump as Surf is still very strong and a miss could be crucial.

Now if you want to use DD Kingdra then make it hold a Life Orb and use an EV spread of 252 Atk / 24 SpA / 232 Spe, you don't need all those SpA EVs, and when running DD Hydro Pump Kingdra Life Orb is always the preferred item to boost all your moves. However you might want to use Mixed Kingdra instead who doesn't set up but instead just fires off powerful attacks from both sides, here's the set:

Kingdra @ Life Orb ¦ Swift Swim
Naughty ¦ 192 Atk / 240 SpA / 76 Spe
Signal Beam / Waterfall / Hydro Pump / Draco Meteor

Celebi gives your team a lot of problems ad after a Hydro Pump, Signal Beam will take it out. Waterfall still 2HKOs Blissey and Snorlax while Hydro Pump with the aid of Stealth Rock will OHKO most Zapdos', Togekiss', Scizors, Metagross', Machamps, Rotom-As, Swamperts, etc. Draco Meteor is for the dragons and unlike your moveset you don't have to lock yourself into Outrage. The EV spread gives both sides of the spectrum a boost whilst outrunning +1 neutral base 100s.

You can keep your Empoleon Toxic Spikes strategy if you want, I was considering trying a RD team like that at one point, but I think replacing Empoleon for a physical swift swimmer and replacing Forretress for a steel rd supporter will probably be better for your team. Qwilfish can soak up Toxic Spikes so is a great option for that physical sweeper spot, here's the set:

Qwilfish @ Life Orb ¦ Swift Swim
Adamant ¦ 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Swords Dance / Poison Jab / Waterfall / Explosion

Poison Jab after a SD OHKOs both Celebi and Latias while Qwilfish in the rain outruns even Choice Scarf Latias'. Speed is maxed to at least speed tie with Adamant Kingdras as that could be game-breaking. Waterfall after a SD in the rain deals around 85% to Skarmory and Forretress while destroying the water weak walls. Explosion is a great move for tearing your opponents team apart.

Now for the steel supporter should you follow this path, I would suggest Bronzong, here's the set:

Bronzong @ Damp Rock ¦ Heatproof
Impish ¦ 252 HP / 128 Atk / 128 Def
Rain Dance / Reflect / Light Screen / Explosion

Can set up Rain and both screens(Light Clay isn't used as 8 turns of rain is usually better than 8 turns of screens). Explosion is a great move to tear through opposition. The reason for Heatproof as the ability is Levitate is expected as the ability and with Heatproof you can set up rain on Heatran, Infernape and Salamence among others who most of your team members have trouble setting up rain against.

Anyway, hope this helps and good luck with your team :)

I switched U-Turn for taunt on Azelf and it is helping me shut down opponents a lot better.

I changed my Rotom for this one And I am happy its easier to set up RD and this fella supports my team great.
Rotom-W @ Damp Rock : Leviatate
Timid : 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Rain Dance / Hydro Pump / Shadow Ball / Thunder

I took out Joleton and added Quillfish To deal with Celebi and I was suprised at how strong this little fella is after a SD he opens so many holes in teams. I am going to playtest Ludicolo in this position, I think the extra RD support will be better and my other non RD teams always get torn up by him I just havent had the time to try him out yet.
Qwilfish @ Life Orb : Swift Swim
Adamant : 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Swords Dance / Poison Jab / Waterfall / Explosion

As for kingdra i keep playing with the set you gave me and my previous one i feel like Kindra was able to outrun a lot more Pokemon before but your set has greater coverage Ill let you know what I decide.
I Am using this spread though when I'm not using the one you gave me:
Kingdra @ Lum Berry : Swift Swim
Naughty : 192 Atk / 24 SpA / 232 Spe
Outrage / Waterfall / Hydro Pump / Dragon Dance

Thanks alot for the help the few changes i made are working great I am going to try Bronzong and a few other changes tonight and see how it goes. I am keeping the Toxic Spikes/Empoleon combo because it works awesome Empoleon is just so scary and with the right support and if he doesn't get a chance to do his thing its ok i feel like my team is starting to run deeper Thanks again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)