Now it's time for UU Card Deck ;)

Hello everyone. After having fun in playing ubers now I tried to create unstandard UU team. I wanted to test stall with all those offensive threats and see how some pokes works, which I never used, especially... Wish passing Shelgon, which surprisingly works. I created that team more for fun then competetive playing (but it still works in many matches anyway), but I think it's time to fix some problems. Anyway, here's the team:

Drapion @ Leftovers

Ability:
Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 6 Def
Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpD)
~ Earthquake
~ Toxic Spikes
~ Crunch
~ Taunt

Right now it's pretty popular Drapion version and I really like it. Earthquake is for some steel types and Raikou. Toxic Spikes of course for stalling threats out (and Drapion also absorb really troublesome Toxic Spikes), Crunch for Offensive Espeon and Mismagius. Taunt to stop some stat-uppers. I'm thinking about Whirlwind in a place of Taunt, but Taunt is also ok.

Shelgon @ Leftovers

Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 Atk
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
~ Wish
~ Protect
~ Zen Headbutt
~ Dragon Claw

Ok, here it is - Wish passing Shelgon. I wanted to try it out, but I knew that Dragon Dance version is just too slow for being really effective. I checked his stats and thought that it has Gligar like defences. And passable attack for wall - so why not ? I tested it out and it works surprisingly well. This guy is my Azumarill, Arcanine, Blaziken and Kangashkan check. It easily takes physical hit and I'm using Protect to see if they're running choice sets or not. Maybe for you Zen Headbutt here looks strange, but it hits many opponents for super-effective in UU and it's a good weapon for Blaziken and Hariyama. Dragon Claw for STAB. I know, I'm walled by steel types, but I have ways to get rid of steels and they're not as popular as they are in OU and Ubers, so I think it's fine. It's a shame that it doesn't learn Earthquake.

Registeel @ Leftovers

Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
~ Stealth Rock
~ Toxic
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Punch

Maybe some of this choice looks strange for you, but I have reasons for them. Stealth Rock is a must for stall team, so it's fine. Toxic is for levitating opponents, which laughs on Toxic Spikes. Earthquake for Raikou, which Registeel takes on quite well. Ice Punch for Shaymin and Outraging Altaria, which is more dangerous then people think. Maybe I should try Iron Head in place of Ice Punch for reliable STAB... but that Registeel do it's job. It also helps me in prediction wars against Staraptor and CB Gallade, which is also important.

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spe)
~ HP Fighting
~ Shadow Sneak
~ Rest
~ Sleep Talk

Rest/Sleep Talk Spiritomb. It helps alot and also defend me from Rapid Spinners. Someone had idea with Shadow Sneak and I guess it was a good one. Gallade was more then troublesome and Shadow Sneak helps here alot. Important member of my team and ghost-type is always a must for stall teams. But I'm thinking about Rotom in that spot.

Hariyama @ Leftovers

Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 76 HP / 180 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
~ Revenge
~ Whirlwind
~ Knock Off
~
Stone Edge

Hariyama is one of my favourite pokemon and I wanted to put him in my stall team. It's bulkiness is really impressive and with wish support can handle many opponents pokemon. I'm seriously thinking about making him much bulkier just for Ursaring, which is really troublesome. And his Ice resistance makes Wish passing to him much easier from Shelgon. Revenge is solid option on Hariyama, because it's slow as hell anyway. Whirlwind for phazing troublesome opponents, Knock Off for knocking off items ;). If I knock off for example Choice Band from Staraptor or Tauros, then it's really helpfull.

Politoed @ Leftovers

Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 240 HP / 122 Def / 140 SpD
Sassy Nature (+SpD, -Spe)
~ Surf
~ Perish Song
~ Bounce
~
Protect

My Perish Song user. I needed bulky water and something, that will finish bulky walls. Politoad is solid option here, switching on Typhlosion and bulky waters with big comfort. Combination of Toxic Spikes + Protect + Bounce makes him a good annoyer and helps in abusing Perish Song. Surf for reliable STAB. Also Flying/Water has good coverage. It can also Perish Song Mismagius if neccesary.

Anyway, that's my team. The biggest problem is Ursaring, which needs some prediction to stop it. And SD Absol isn't something that team loves also. Also lack of normal Spikes hurts alot, and grounded Poisons ruins my fun, so I seriously need that normal spiker. But new UU doesn't have any reliable bulky Spikers. I hate suicide leads, so Frosslass is not an option for me. Cloyster has bad typing and SR weakness, so I don't like that idea also. But I'm going to consider that option anyway if I won't have any choice. I'm going probably to use Bulky Roserade or... Qwilfish. But seriously, that's a problem. If Skarmory would make UU, it would be ideal.

On the end - thanks for any help and constructive critisism. I'm sure that some threats aren't covered on my team, but on new UU it's almost impossible to stop everything with that many choices. I hope that you like my team. Cheers and thanks for any help again.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Your team is has 2 ground weaks and no ground resistance or immunity. If anything with a decent powered Earthquake comes into Drapion or Registeel, you really have nowhere to go. Nidoking in particular I think will give you trouble. For this reason I think you should replace Shelgon with a DD Altaria with Roost. It keeps the Dragon type's synergy with Registeel but gives your team a ground immunity at the same time. Shelgon's low HP and average defense really mean that it isn't too effective a pokemon in UU, and Altaria will greatly outperform it if you decide to add it.

Personally, I think your team is very lacking in offense, and is not nearly defensive enough to stall effectively. I would strongly suggest you change your Spiritomb's set to:

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
Bold
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD

- Calm Mind
- Dark Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Shadow Sneak is worthless on Spiritomb, so even if you decide not to change the set then at least replace Sneak with Shadow Ball. This set is stronger than the one you are currently running both offensively and defensively, and will help your team out a lot more. It is still a great status absorber, but it can now CM up in the opponent's face and sweep easily with its great defenses and typing. Dark Pulse is chosen as no pokemon is immune to it, unlike Shadow Ball which is walled by Normal types.

Your Politoed is running a very weird set. I know its in the analysis, but I'm not too sure if it is the best set for this team, or even if Politoed is the best water type here either. Slowbro and Milotic would both be better pokemon here imo, as they have instant recovery and better defensive stats as a whole. Slowbro also brings with it a really useful Fighting resistance for your team and it makes a great physical wall, whereas Milotic can use Haze to get rid of stat uppers, much more effective then having to rely on Perish Song.

Good luck with your team.

Your team is has 2 ground weaks and no ground resistance or immunity. If anything with a decent powered Earthquake comes into Drapion or Registeel, you really have nowhere to go. Nidoking in particular I think will give you trouble. For this reason I think you should replace Shelgon with a DD Altaria with Roost. It keeps the Dragon type's synergy with Registeel but gives your team a ground immunity at the same time. Shelgon's low HP and average defense really mean that it isn't too effective a pokemon in UU, and Altaria will greatly outperform it if you decide to add it.
I agree with that point, however... HeysUp made a good point in his New UU RMT - he had many earth weaknesses and still he has good win streak. Surprisingly in new UU there aren't many good users of STAB Earthquake. I don't see often Nidoking, I saw Rock Polish Rhydon once (and I stopped it) and Rampardos was Whirlwinden by Hariyama and in next switch died to poison. At the beginning I thought that he's not quite right... but when I thought about it he had a point. But anyway it's just better to have earth resist, at least one, even if it's for only few pokes.

About Shelgon - It really worked, but I agree that he couldn't handle attacks from beast like Staraptor or CB Gallade. But he worked well against another dangerous opponents like Blaziken, Arcanine, Kangashkan, Tauros, Azumarill to some extent thanks to his really usefull resistances. But I agree - he's not that bulky, but still helped my team. I think that Wish passer Shelgon will be usable in future NU. But I think I'm gonna replace him - it was funny to use him, but I guess I need something bulkier. But I guess I need Wish passer anyway. Without it it's hard to keep in good health pokemon like Registeel. But I'm not sure which pokemon would fit here...

Personally, I think your team is very lacking in offense, and is not nearly defensive enough to stall effectively. I would strongly suggest you change your Spiritomb's set to:

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
Bold
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD

- Calm Mind
- Dark Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
I don't care about offense in that team to be honest. But without Spikes I can't stall in 100% and that's the problem, so maybe that's a good idea with that Spiritomb. Next problem is that SD Gallade is really bad news for that team, even with that Spiritomb. But I'll try it anyway. Shadow Sneak saved me a few times in tight situations and was my best bet against Gallade.

Your Politoed is running a very weird set. I know its in the analysis, but I'm not too sure if it is the best set for this team, or even if Politoed is the best water type here either. Slowbro and Milotic would both be better pokemon here imo, as they have instant recovery and better defensive stats as a whole. Slowbro also brings with it a really useful Fighting resistance for your team and it makes a great physical wall, whereas Milotic can use Haze to get rid of stat uppers, much more effective then having to rely on Perish Song.
I needed a bulky water and something with Perish Song for things, which I couldn't kill in any way. For example CurseRegisteel or CM Spiritomb is really bad news without Perish Song in stall and I'm not sure that Milotic with Haze would handle it. But it's bulkier - I need to agree. Slowbro is not an option just for that reason - I don't want to loose to one pokemon, because it's bulky as hell and I can't kill it.

But thanks for rate anyway - I appreciate it. I'm gonna test few things, which you suggested.

Any other ideas ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)