np: OU Suspect Testing Round 5 - Sandstorm (Excadrill/Thundurus Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
^I used that Salamence. It functioned fairly well in conjunction with Hitmontop and Gyarados but found itself under a lot of pressure and wasn't able to stay healthy or keep its teammates healthy enough.

Also, Crobat needs more love. This set:
Crobat (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- Brave Bird
- Super Fang
- U-turn
Is so amazing at its job. Taunt and Super Fang to break stall. Taunt to stop BP and set up. U-Turn for scouting and momentum. Brave Bird for offensive presence. 279 attack with a STAB 120 BP move does a lot more than people give it credit for. It also works well as either a lead or as a supporter. I initially ran it with a Sash and on pokes it would stay in to Taunt it never actually got down to sash.

^I used that Salamence. It functioned fairly well in conjunction with Hitmontop and Gyarados but found itself under a lot of pressure and wasn't able to stay healthy or keep its teammates healthy enough.

Also, Crobat needs more love. This set:
Crobat (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Taunt
- Brave Bird
- Super Fang
- U-turn
Is so amazing at its job. Taunt and Super Fang to break stall. Taunt to stop BP and set up. U-Turn for scouting and momentum. Brave Bird for offensive presence. 279 attack with a STAB 120 BP move does a lot more than people give it credit for. It also works well as either a lead or as a supporter. I initially ran it with a Sash and on pokes it would stay in to Taunt it never actually got down to sash.
Crobat (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 hp / 252 Spe
- Taunt
- Brave Bird
- Super Fang
- roost

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That would be the defensive version. Offensive is far, far better.

Its like the difference between max HP spinner starmie last gen and max spa spinner starmie this gen.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
LOL at the large number of scarfers now.
I'm seeing some scarfed jirachi.

deoxys-n?
how so?
Just a note. Scarf jirachi can't really counter deoxys-s very well. I know that most sets don't carry t-wave, but if deoxys does your pretty much screwed. Specially defensive jirachi works much better.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Chople tar, Chansey, Porygon2, Espeon, Most Bulky Waters...
It depends on the moveset, but there is one important thing:
Jirachi is one of the best Deoxys-S counters. Lol. And it does so even with Scarf.
(Thunder Wave Deo, really? Deoxys is already outspeeding everything and it doesn't really have the room or bulk.)

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Chople tar, Chansey, Porygon2, Espeon, Most Bulky Waters...
It depends on the moveset, but there is one important thing:
Jirachi is one of the best Deoxys-S counters. Lol. And it does so even with Scarf.
(Thunder Wave Deo, really? Deoxys is already outspeeding everything and it doesn't really have the room or bulk.)
Chansey and porygon-2 are completely shut down by taunt.

I'm guessing espeon can't take a specs shadow ball.

I don't think tyranitar can take a specs focus blast either. And yeah, I know t-wave is uncommon but if he carries it then what??

Oh, and bulky waters will most likely lost to a calm mind set.

Btw scarfrachi with Uturn will beat any of the posted standard deo s sets as deo fails tO 2hko scarfrachi (I'm talkIng about the mixed lo set

Chansey and porygon-2 are completely shut down by taunt.

I'm guessing espeon can't take a specs shadow ball.

I don't think tyranitar can take a specs focus blast either. And yeah, I know t-wave is uncommon but if he carries it then what??

Oh, and bulky waters will most likely lost to a calm mind set.
He has calm mind and recover. And all I'm saying is that scarf jirachi isn't a reliable counter to deoxys-s because of t-wave.
i think you're the only person who uses specs / cm deoxys-e. people are telling you counters to standard sets because they're much more likely to be used than what you may use...

well now that thunderus is banned i wonder what will replace him as the best anti lead. I hope not whimiscott, that thing sucks @ss. If he somehow gets taunted with no sub up, he's screwed because those that do use him(i don't think) don't use attacks on him.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
well now that thunderus is banned i wonder what will replace him as the best anti lead. I hope not whimiscott, that thing sucks @ss. If he somehow gets taunted with no sub up, he's screwed because those that do use him(i don't think) don't use attacks on him.
Since when was Thundurus the best anti-lead? As well, with team preview, there's really no such thing as a lead metagame anymore.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've unstuck this thread due to the insane amount of sticky topics we have already. This thread is active enough it doesn't really require a stick either.

Since when was Thundurus the best anti-lead? As well, with team preview, there's really no such thing as a lead metagame anymore.
There can be one. Things like Multiscale mixnite/DDnite, Anti-lead thundurus, Volt Switch Rotom-W, and anti-lead machamp can be effective in the lead slot in almost any situation. However, you have the option of changing the lead. Still, more often than not, these Pokemon will be effective in the lead position considering the advantages they give you early game. Isn't that the point of a lead? I almost always stick with a designated lead rarely switching (unless I know I'll be at a disadvantage with a certain player, but that's pretty rare).

Edit: also, multiscale mixnite is the best anti-lead. Try it. ;)

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Other than Deoxys-S I wouldn't consider any other mons as committed leads. People usually lead with their weather inducers or Dragon / Scarf Terrakion / Rotom-W. Rotom-W is such a bitch as a lead :0

Anti-lead Thundurus sounds like a waste of Thundurus imo, but I guess it would fit on offensive teams that needs his priority Taunt + T-Wave.

This suspect thread has become enormous lol.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
What else can safely counter deoxys-s (in OU)??
A lot actually, while its offenses are high enough to run an attacking set, a max special attack of 287 (assuming speed boosting nature to catch scarfers) isn't all that impressive. If you don't have a super effective move against a bulky sweeper/tank, it will beat you, one hundred percent of the time. If you want a perfect counter, Dual Screen Espeon magic mirrors all of Deoxys-S's hazards right back at it, resists its stab, and takes...31.4% - 37.1% damage from ice beam/thunderbolt. Also worth nothing, Wobbofett really shines at stopping Deoxys-S, he can encore an attacking move/spikes, giving an ally a free set up move in return for minimal damage. As we all know, letting Volcarona get a free Quiver Dance set up late game is more than worth 2 layers of spikes.

If he somehow gets taunted with no sub up, he's screwed because those that do use him(i don't think) don't use attacks on him.
How often do you get an oppurtunity to Taunt a Whimsicott? The only possible way is if you predict it coming in or you have your own Whimsicott, and many things that normally carry Taunt won't be things Whimiscott will come in on. And Giga Drain is pretty common iirc, not very powerful but its still damage.

Other than Deoxys-S I wouldn't consider any other mons as committed leads. People usually lead with their weather inducers or Dragon / Scarf Terrakion / Rotom-W. Rotom-W is such a bitch as a lead :0

Anti-lead Thundurus sounds like a waste of Thundurus imo, but I guess it would fit on offensive teams that needs his priority Taunt + T-Wave.

This suspect thread has become enormous lol.
Generally, if I'm going to have a dedicated lead it's going to have to be able to take a hit and give me the momentum (either through a kill/surprise factor/force switches). Anti-lead machamp and Multiscale mixnite do just that. Leads like them are pretty rare but very viable.

Also, UU hasn't started so they can reset the ladder now I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)