np: RU Stage 3 - Like a Boss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endorfins

Your Worst Nightmare
is a Contributor Alumnus
not true, i use a set of sunny day, thunder wave, encore and uturn with heat rock. it actually does pull its weight

^ is Substitute really necessary on Volbeat?

I Know Tail Glow and Baton Pass are mandatory though.

Sunnyday, Encore, Thunder wave or Substitute on the other 2 moves is good enough I reckon.

The Presence of Encore is enough to Pressure the opponent to make a call between switching or attacking.

Edit: "Happy" ninja'd me :P

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
@ waterwarrior:
Not really...
Volbeat can do just fine as a sunny day setter with Heat Rock.No other poke in RU can setup sun with priority which means that even if an opponent's poke gets too many speed boosts you will be able to outspeed it with your chlorophyll users.
Also it has priority T-Wave and Encore which are both immensely useufull.
Finnaly even if you use Tail Glow,sub is not obligatory.
The best set would be Tail Glow,Baton Pass,Sunny Day,Encore/T-Wave imo with Heat Rock of 'course...

Edit: Also ninja'd.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
@ waterwarrior:
Not really...
Volbeat can do just fine as a sunny day setter with Heat Rock.No other poke in RU can setup sun with priority which means that even if an opponent's poke gets too many speed boosts you will be able to outspeed it with your chlorophyll users.
Also it has priority T-Wave and Encore which are both immensely useufull.
Finnaly even if you use Tail Glow,sub is not obligatory.
The best set would be Tail Glow,Baton Pass,Sunny Day,Encore/T-Wave imo with Heat Rock of 'course...

Edit: Also ninja'd.

coughMurkrowCough

murkrow also gets t wave, taunt and roost

if you can deal with 5 turn sun, murkrow is the better choice. imo

but then again, vobeat gets encore. both seem pretty good as weather setters.

also, does anybody have examples of counters to exeggutor, all i can think of are bouffalant (2HKOED by Psyshock) and specially defensive murkrow.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ah y i forgot the little crow.
And true both MH pokes are very viable as sun setters.Maybe even run both...
The first one has some bulk and recovery and can debuff all day long with t-wave and featherdance,while Volbeat can Encore any dangerous sweeper and pass dangerous boosts to dangerous sweepers in tandem with setting up sun of 'course!
And the best thing is that none of these pokes are setup bait.And this is a great feat for support/defensive pokes.

coughMurkrowCough

murkrow also gets t wave, taunt and roost

if you can deal with 5 turn sun, murkrow is the better choice. imo

but then again, vobeat gets encore. both seem pretty good as weather setters.

also, does anybody have examples of counters to exeggutor, all i can think of are bouffalant (2HKOED by Psyshock) and specially defensive murkrow.
Well there aren't true counters for exeggutor in the sun besides murkow except maybe special defensive skuntank (sucks in ru in every other way though). The best checks for it are bouffalant and insomnia hunchkrow(if exeggutor did not sleep powder already). adamant banded entei with extreme speed only does about half to exeggutor :/ I rarely see sunny day teams in RU though so i might give it a try

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well there aren't true counters for exeggutor in the sun besides murkow except maybe special defensive skuntank (sucks in ru in every other way though). The best checks for it are bouffalant and insomnia hunchkrow(if exeggutor did not sleep powder already). adamant banded entei with extreme speed only does about half to exeggutor :/ I rarely see sun teams in RU though so i might give it a try
its not just sun, there is also trick room and harvest subseed, along with the infamous specs set and insomnia krow is OHKOED by leaf storm

nothing brakes this stupid tree

SilentVerse

Into the New World
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
While not exactly common, I think the best counter to Exeggutor is specially defensive Mandibuzz. Eggy will never 2HKO with Modest Specs Leaf Storm after Stealth Rock, and Mandibuzz can invest some Speed to Roost off the damage before Exeggutor can attempt to 2HKO. It also shuts down other Exeggutor variants like SubSeed with Taunt and Whirlwind, and it can use Brave Bird to threaten it. Other than Mandibuzz though, uh, stuff like Bouffalant is probably your best bet, since there's really not much that can take Life Orb / Specs Exeggutor's attacks.

Yea but Roosting before Exeggutor Leaf Storms means Mandibuzz loses its resistance to Grass-type moves

Molk

Godlike Usmash
Yea but Roosting before Exeggutor Leaf Storms means Mandibuzz loses its resistance to Grass-type moves
you are forgetting that leaf storm lowers egy's spA so it would do the same amount of damage

and eggy can just sleep mandibuzz

or if it sets up trick room on the switch

it can send one of its homies to kill the bird

but yea, mandibuzz is a check

While not exactly common, I think the best counter to Exeggutor is specially defensive Mandibuzz. Eggy will never 2HKO with Modest Specs Leaf Storm after Stealth Rock, and Mandibuzz can invest some Speed to Roost off the damage before Exeggutor can attempt to 2HKO. It also shuts down other Exeggutor variants like SubSeed with Taunt and Whirlwind, and it can use Brave Bird to threaten it. Other than Mandibuzz though, uh, stuff like Bouffalant is probably your best bet, since there's really not much that can take Life Orb / Specs Exeggutor's attacks.
I think Articuno>Mandibuzz when it comes to walling exeggutor. I use it to great success on my hail team. Sadly it doesn't get enough love by most people due to the 4x weakness to SR :(

SilentVerse

Into the New World
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Articuno is an okay check, but it doesn't do so hot against Specs or LO Exeggutor since Specs Hidden Power Fire is so close to OHKOing after Stealth Rock that Articuno can't have taken any prior damage at all if Stealth Rock is up, and if you run Special Defense investment, Articuno easily dies to Psyshock. Mandibuzz is simply the better check against Exeggutor, though Articuno probably does more stuff than Mandibuzz most of the time.

Well, based on my ev spread, Specs psyshock does around 59% on average. So I can take a hit and strike back with Ice Beam since I'll be faster than a Modest max speed Exeggutor. I also forgot that Mandibuzz is immune to psyshock lol. If I manage to keep SR off the field usually it will be fine, but i will say that Mandibuzz is probably the safer option in this case. In most cases I'd rather have Articuno's ability to pressure stall

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Does anyone have any experience with Machoke? I've taken up its analysis, and it'd be good if others could weigh in for me.

So far, it looks like an Eviolite RestTalk DynaPuncher is the only set it can run without being outclassed. I'll have to try a Choice Band set, might work.

Moreover, which coverage moves are best for Fighting-types in RU? 'Choke has a choice between Ice Punch (for Flying-types and Gligar) Payback (for Psychics such as Slowking and Uxie) or Stone Edge for a stronger hit on Flying-types plus 100% accuracy through No Guard.

^ depends what your team has trouble with.

btw I don't think Machoke can learn Stone Edge, it can learn rock slide though.

If you don't care about coverage you can give machoke knock off for surprise value.

payback is useful for uxie, rotom and dusknoir, but slowking is actually still slower than machoke so it will only get double power on the switch in.

toxic is a good option to cripple general walls that may try to come in on his dpunch, since steel types are not likely to switch into him - however, poison types might still be able to get the free switch.

Actually, in BW, Payback's power doesn't double on the switch in anymore :/

And Machoke kinda blows in RU, j/s

I'd much rather use Medicham, Gallade, or one of the Hitmons.

I understand Machoke's role as a bulky attacker, but I think it is heavily outclassed in RU

^ Basically. Hariyama does RestTalk better as well, in my opinion, as well as any "bright" ideas anybody might have involving Guts. Literally, all Machoke has is No Guard Dynamicpunch.

200 posts :D

I think ludicolo will go up and have to leave soon. As of now, the only counter that really works in the metagame is ferroseed, who is only somewhat effective because he can't leech seed and doesn't have leftovers.

I believe that walls like Mandibuzz and Tangrowth will get the boot to because with one of the most effective boosting methods gone, they will be nearly impossible to break by most sweepers, and with the way for sweepers to get an extra boost gone they will become somewhat invincible barring toxic.

MOTHERFUCKING KROOKODILE. so obvious, he can efficiently revenge kill 2/3 of the tier woth 2/3 of their health left... Scarf moxie will rape, very few bulky dark resists to take a +1 crunch well compared to the ghosts and psychics in the tier who are scared shitless of this guy. Only reliable counter is poliwrath.

Eh, while I agree Krookodile is a rather threatening poke, he isn't really at the point of OP-edness. Playing both with and against him, I can say that while he can be an enormous threat if left unchecked, but there are enough readily available to stop him (though that 92 base speed, always trollin' meh Rotom ;-;). As you mentioned, Poliwrath can stop most of his attacks (bar CB EQs 'n such), and Tangrowth/Quaggy basically stop him completely (as does Torterra, who I sorta feel doesnt ever seem to get any props. shame). Plus there is a shit-ton of priority to check any potential sweeps by him. So basically I feel like although he is a very deadly and all, there are enough common and multi-purpose pokes around to stop him from falling into realms of broken-ness.

Krookodile's best set isn't actually the Scarf set, it's the LO set. Absolutely rips shit to pieces once his checks have been eliminated/weakened. Intimidate and Moxie are both good abilities on him as well, I really don't get why people only use Moxie sets. If you want a Moxie user, you look at Honchkrow first.

I believe that walls like Mandibuzz and Tangrowth will get the boot to because with one of the most effective boosting methods gone, they will be nearly impossible to break by most sweepers, and with the way for sweepers to get an extra boost gone they will become somewhat invincible barring toxic.
Entei says no. As does Typhlosion. And Magmortar. And Galvantula. And Rotom. And the list just keeps going. Really, it's not hard to kill Mandibuzz. Tangrowth is another story, but still, it's far from broken. Tough? Absolutely. Broken? What are you smoking?

I think ludicolo will go up and have to leave soon. As of now, the only counter that really works in the metagame is ferroseed, who is only somewhat effective because he can't leech seed and doesn't have leftovers.
No. Just... no. Without Rain, Ludicolo can't do crap that other Pokemon don't do better. With Rain, it's easy enough to stop with careful switching and/or priority moves. SubSeed is more annoying than the offensive sets, tbh. I hate SubSeed Ludicolo more than I hate any other Poke in the metagame other than Typhlosion.

moltres is a powerhouse just like it was in gen 4 uu. without milotic or chansey in the tier, there are very few defensive answers for this beast. modest hits really hard but timid outspeeds hitmonlee.

just pack a spinner and a good defense against rotom, krookodile, manectric and other fast mons and moltres can come in again and again and beat stuff to death.

moltres is a powerhouse just like it was in gen 4 uu. without milotic or chansey in the tier, there are very few defensive answers for this beast. modest hits really hard but timid outspeeds hitmonlee.

just pack a spinner and a good defense against rotom, krookodile, manectric and other fast mons and moltres can come in again and again and beat stuff to death.
i agree. moltres is strong af already and with all these physically oriented cores (for instance, niggas using qwilfish as their "bulky water") he definitely needs more love. the 3 attacks + roost @ lo dpp uu throwback literally has no safe switchins with spikes support. even mons you would imagine to be hard counters crumble with hazards, ex. slowking gets 2hkoed by hp grass, bulky entei 2hkoed, munchy gets forced to rest quickly and becomes vulnerable. it is really easy to block spin in ru too. :happybrain:

i think he could really shine on a balance team with a solid core to handle scarfers/fast shit you mentioned, stack hazards, and spin. seriously though, if there were enough competent stall players in this tier, there would be so much bitching about moltres...

edit: @spinner i'd probably go foresight hitmon to ensure he can get the spin off when played correctly

i agree. moltres is strong af already and with all these physically oriented cores (for instance, niggas using qwilfish as their "bulky water") he definitely needs more love. the 3 attacks + roost @ lo dpp uu throwback literally has no safe switchins with spikes support. even mons you would imagine to be hard counters crumble with hazards, ex. slowking gets 2hkoed by hp grass, bulky entei 2hkoed, munchy gets forced to rest quickly and becomes vulnerable. it is really easy to block spin in ru too. :happybrain:

i think he could really shine on a balance team with a solid core to handle scarfers/fast shit you mentioned, stack hazards, and spin. seriously though, if there were enough competent stall players in this tier, there would be so much bitching about moltres...

edit: @spinner i'd probably go foresight hitmon to ensure he can get the spin off when played correctly
what kind of spread would you run on that foresight spinner? my issue with that kind of set is that i'm unsure if hitmonchan has the bulk to take a tbolt from rotom, spin, then come back and do it again if necessary. but i don't know if max hp/ max spdef is all that good on hitmonchan. :\

hm i prefer max hp / max atk because defensive hitmon is often dead weight outside of spinning. depending on the team sometimes i run the standard spread with enough speed for max neutral krow though. if you want to try a more durable max hp/max whatever def variant for yourself, i'd go with something similar to stall hitmontop in uu, using a set of close combat / foresight / rapid spin / rest and run it alongside heal bell support from lanturn (clefable and uxie are also decent bellers too).

and if rotom concerns you the most, snowflake beats him one on one ery day but loses to the bulkier ghosts of the tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)