Announcement np: SM OU Suspect Process, Round 3 - Beauty and the Boost - Pheromosa is now banned

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel awkward being one of the few to say this but, in my opinion Pheromosa should not be banned. She does not gave me the amounts of trouble you mention, not as you make it sound here at least. I think she is workable around; indeed, she is unpredictable, has an almost perfect coverage, is also very powerful fast, and has a great ability, but to me she has quite a number of very exploitable flaws, besides her defenses, that keep her from being banworthy. Maybe is it that you are sticking to much to old team models?

*Its already known 71/37/37 bulk keeps her from switching in, anything that endures a hit kills her, focus sash redeems here, but you must lose turns looking for the opportunity to defog. If by any means everything Pheromosa fears, derives from her non existent defenses. This fact alone puts heavy pressure not only on her, but on its teammates, as they will have to take attacks for her, she only can come from a slow U-turn, having a nuke that can break cores, and do marvels but cant come in directly and has to KO in order not to be directly koed is risky.

* She has a vulnerable bug type, hitted super effectively and resisted by many other types naturally (I bet you have 3-4 pokemon that resist this one STAB and the same number to hit it her for super effective damage) this is a huge choice item turn down, you will use Focus Blast or High Jump Kick most of the time,since Ice beam deals decent, but somehow neutral damage to most pokemon bar Chomp and Lando. It also makes stealth rock damage to be neutral, compromising the life orb and focus sash variants even more.

* She can only run one set per match, yes she pressures like crazy, and makes swtiches unnerving, but you can guess the variety if your opponnent did not bring her in early-mid game, or if he is trying to bring a defoger on late game, from the last attack it used too, since life orb takes your health, or even from the damage output in the banded case. Some comments are descirbing this situation as she could run 6 moveslots.

*I also find interesting how her STAB moves have realtively huge drawbacks. Bug Buzz and U-turn are resisted by a wide variety of typings naturally, the later being specifically offensive, which forces her teammates to be bulky enough in order to take hits for her but fast enough so not to be hurted twice, which in tandem makes them not so offensively powerful (Think, Landorus-T, a common pheromosa partner, provides a slow u-turn, intimidate, rocks and a excelent coverage in Stone Edge/ Earthquake, but he cannot manage to handle every pokemon, of every team archetype, if you run a defensive investment, youll be giving up speed or power, if you run the offensive set, then you are too frail. Tapu Lele in the other hand nulifies Greninja´s shurikens, Mega Metagross bullet punch and other priority moves, but it should be running either specs or scarf, since the use of taunt makes you unable to revenge kill faster threats. Any varition is frail, now you have two very powerful and frail pokemon on your team) Focus Blast is called focus miss for a reason, this also sums massive pressure on the quiver dance variant, between not losing sash with rocks and having to set up a turn, missing a hit against anything from Skarmory to hoopa Unbound means dead weight, and it does happen.Alternatively High Jump Kick albeit more accurate and much powerful, gives the rising-in-usage ghosts like Mimikyu and Cofragigus a tool to switch in and get a 50% health off for free, and proceed to pick you with shadow sneak (Psychic Terrain incoming Lele? She wont be able to take a shadow claw or she gives Mimikyu a free sword dance, talking about priority moves, only, she wont take any other pokemon neutral hit). Quiver Dance transforms you into a nuke, but it takes away coverage (except for Normalium Z, which is mesmerizing) HJK can also force another switch if you are facing Specially Defensive Ceslesteela with protect, and specially defensive Skarmory. Coverage: Poison Jab is 50/50, as exploitable as it is useful for fairies. Ice beam has a massive utility, THIS is, in my opinion, the reason why she is in suspect, she still has some soft counters tough, Volcarona, Alolan Marowak, Tapu Fini, Jellicent, Cofragigus, Magearna (for non l.o.) etc. Z-Hyper Beam gained much popularity for its breaking capabilities against Toxapex and Tentacruel, and the superior damage it deals on most foes, however you will be still walled by ghosts and have to play very smart to set up quiver dance, it loses power on its stabs. Very useful regardless.

*The pressure it creates around its team mates. They take too many hits for her, and she is usally run on hyper offenisve and bulky teams with little to no time to recover or lose momentum. Everything has disadvantages, and as easy as it is to kill major threats with her, youll feel how early game makes it a seemingly team of 5, where she can only go first or after a slow u-turn. If she is saved to sweep, then is the opposite, you are likely to be walled throughout game and the other player can force a Phero builded for late game sweeping in and then, the true counter game begins. An effective, and generally useful way to kill her easily is to use yourself a slow Volt Switch/ U-turn, and bring in a scarfed pokemon, a priority move or anything that can take a hit and menace her buds. She creates as equally as offensive pressure as she limits your defensive cores switchs durability.

*Miscellaneous tools and pokemon that come to my mind that are less common albeit viable in certain teams and equally mortal for her include- Sticky Web, Thunder Wave, Trick Room, Will-o-wisp, Rain teams with Mantine, Kingdra, Electric terrain Tapu Koko, Alolan Raichu, her own masculine counterpart Buzzwhole, whom fears nothing from her, some fairy types if she lacks Poison Jab and Mega Slowbro. These are aside from her right away counters like Mega Pinsir, Alomarowak, Ash Greninja, Celesteela, Mega Venusaur, and most Ghosts.

*Altough she almost nullifies the use of some long used monsters such as Serperior, Ferrothorn, Celebi and other known powerhouses like Manaphy or Mega Mawile, she is also bringing up the usage of the not so common Ghost and Poison Types, while decreasing the ever safe Steel spam, as well as some mons that dropped usage as generations evolved, but yet, are perfectly viable such as Volcarona (whom will always therat you amazingly with Quiver Dance) Scarf Gengar, Jellicent, Chandelure and Cofragigus. These adjustment, is no crazy or absurd at all, but it shows something wonderful, people are already realising that she requires certain team adjustments (it can be either an item, a move, a pokemon itself or and EV spread), or simply put, an ensured hit to be over the threat she represents (as in Water Shuriken, Disguise+ Play Rough, and priority moves that can pick a weakened Phero). Given the fact that she cannot simply erase your team if you have took her in comsideration.

Unlike Landorus Incarnate, she doesnt have impeccable coverage all at once, no broken typing and ability or safe set up like Aegislash, not even utterly massive support with Mega Blaziken speed boost-baton pass, she has her own right hard and soft counters, and the decisive fact that she needs to kill or will be killed, above this, is the fact that one mistake, one missed focus blast, one missed high jump kick, a lost sash, or a mispedriction in early, mid and late game (all of them factible scenarios) will result in her dying and not doing the originally planned and crucial damage she has to deal, resulting in a much more difficult game upmatch, is she doesn´t fail, then you continue a battle in a metagame that is already finding viable solutions to face a cockroach that begs for the use of a ghost type, priority, speed control or simply put a reliable choice scarf in your team.

I vote No Ban if I have the right to do so. Tough a special ban would not be a bad idea.

Please comment :heart:

Last edited:
I feel awkward being one of the few to say this but, in my opinion Pheromosa should not be banned. She does not gave me the amounts of trouble you mention, not as you make it sound here at least. I think she is workable around; indeed, she is unpredictable, has an almost perfect coverage, is also very powerful fast, and has a great ability, but to me she has quite a number of very exploitable flaws, besides her defenses, that keep her from being banworthy. Maybe is it that you are sticking to much to old team models?

*Its already known 71/37/37 bulk keeps her from switching in, anything that endures a hit kills her, focus sash redeems here, but you must lose turns looking for the opportunity to defog. If by any means everything Pheromosa fears, derives from her non existent defenses. This fact alone puts heavy pressure not only on her, but on its teammates, as they will have to take attacks for her, she only can come from a slow U-turn, having a nuke that can break cores, and do marvels but cant come in directly and has to KO in order not to be directly koed is risky.
although you arent wrong, you need to remember that pheromosa isnt supposed to be taking hits. most of the time, you are using phero to force something out, or to sweep late game. it doesnt need to take hit
* She has a vulnerable bug type, hitted super effectively and resisted by many other types naturally (I bet you have 3-4 pokemon that resist this one STAB and the same number to hit it her for super effective damage) this is a huge choice item turn down, you will use Focus Blast or High Jump Kick most of the time,since Ice beam deals decent, but somehow neutral damage to most pokemon bar Chomp and Lando. It also makes stealth rock damage to be neutral, compromising the life orb and focus sash variants even more.

phero's typing defensively is irrelevant, and offensively, ice/fighting/bug has perfect or near perfect coverage. mons dont like switching into this thing. only exception i can think of is tox, but that can be broken by z hyper beam sets
* She can only run one set per match, yes she pressures like crazy, and makes swtiches unnerving, but you can guess the variety if your opponnent did not bring her in early-mid game, or if he is trying to bring a defoger on late game, from the last attack it used too, since life orb takes your health, or even from the damage output in the banded case. Some comments are descirbing this situation as she could run 6 moveslots.
the fact that you are forced to sack mons or play so
carefully just because of this one poke is why it is so threatening. its incredibly difficult to deal with it because of its versatility. you dont know how to deal with this mon until, often times, it's too late
*I also find interesting how her STAB moves have realtively huge drawbacks. Bug Buzz and U-turn are resisted by a wide variety of typings naturally, the later being specifically offensive, which forces her teammates to be bulky enough in order to take hits for her but fast enough so not to be hurted twice, which in tandem makes them not so offensively powerful (Think, Landorus-T, a common pheromosa partner, provides a slow u-turn, intimidate, rocks and a excelent coverage in Stone Edge/ Earthquake, but he cannot manage to handle every pokemon, of every team archetype, if you run a defensive investment, youll be giving up speed or power, if you run the offensive set, then you are too frail. Tapu Lele in the other hand nulifies Greninja´s shurikens, Mega Metagross bullet punch and other priority moves, but it should be running either specs or scarf, since the use of taunt makes you unable to revenge kill faster threats. Any varition is frail, now you have two very powerful and frail pokemon on your team) Focus Blast is called focus miss for a reason, this also sums massive pressure on the quiver dance variant, between not losing sash with rocks and having to set up a turn, missing a hit against anything from Skarmory to hoopa Unbound means dead weight, and it does happen.Alternatively High Jump Kick albeit more accurate and much powerful, gives the rising-in-usage ghosts like Mimikyu and Cofragigus a tool to switch in and get a 50% health off for free, and proceed to pick you with shadow sneak (Psychic Terrain incoming Lele? She wont be able to take a shadow claw or she gives Mimikyu a free sword dance, talking about priority moves, only, she wont take any other pokemon neutral hit). Quiver Dance transforms you into a nuke, but it takes away coverage (except for Normalium Z, which is mesmerizing) HJK can also force another switch if you are facing Specially Defensive Ceslesteela with protect, and specially defensive Skarmory. Coverage: Poison Jab is 50/50, as exploitable as it is useful for fairies. Ice beam has a massive utility, THIS is, in my opinion, the reason why she is in suspect, she still has some soft counters tough, Volcarona, Alolan Marowak, Tapu Fini, Jellicent, Cofragigus, Magearna (for non l.o.) etc. Z-Hyper Beam gained much popularity for its breaking capabilities against Toxapex and Tentacruel, and the superior damage it deals on most foes, however you will be still walled by ghosts and have to play very smart to set up quiver dance, it loses power on its stabs. Very useful regardless.
i can agree that focus blast is pretty inaccurate, but that doesn't make phero any less powerful considering it has other more reliable sets. also, you say that ghost types can switch in, but there is nothing stopping phero from u-turning on a predicted switch.
*The pressure it creates around its team mates. They take too many hits for her, and she is usally run on hyper offenisve and bulky teams with little to no time to recover or lose momentum. Everything has disadvantages, and as easy as it is to kill major threats with her, youll feel how early game makes it a seemingly team of 5, where she can only go first or after a slow u-turn. If she is saved to sweep, then is the opposite, you are likely to be walled and the other player can no force a Phero builded for late game sweeping in and the true counter game begins. An effective, and generally useful way to kill her easily is to use yourself a slow Volt Switch, U-turn, and bring in a scarfed pokemon, a priority move or anything that can take a hit and menace her buds. She creates as equally as offensive pressure as she limits your defensive cores switchs.
phero doesnt put strain on its team mates any more than any other glass cannon. its an offensive mon. ofc it needs teammates to switch into.
*Miscellaneous tools and pokemon that come to my mind that are less common albeit viable in certain teams and equally mortal for her include- Sticky Web, Thunder Wave, Trick Room, Will-o-wisp, Rain teams with Mantine, Kingdra, Electric terrain Tapu Koko, Alolan Raichu, her own masculine counterpart Buzzwhole, whom fears nothing from her, some fairy types if she lacks Poison Jab and Mega Slowbro. These are aside from her right away counters like Mega Pinsir, Alomarowak, Ash Greninja, Celesteela, Mega Venusaur, and most Ghosts.
sticky webs do hurt it, but it also gets rapid spin so hazards arent a huge deal. rain teams just die to scarf phero as it outspeeds swimmers, and alolan raichu kinda sucks. buzzwole isnt very good. pinsir and ninja only check if psychic terrain isnt up, which it often is considering how great of a teammate lele is. as for celesteela, it dies to a plus one z focus blast so its only a check, not a counter.
*Altough she almost nullifies the use of some long used monsters such as Serperior, Ferrothorn, Celebi and other known powerhouses like Manaphy or Mega Mawile
, she is also bringing up the usage of the not so common Ghost and Poison Types, while decreasing the ever safe Steel spam, as well as some mons that dropped usage as generations evolved, but yet, are perfectly viable such as Volcarona (whom will always therat you amazingly with Quiver Dance) Scarf Gengar, Jellicent, Chandelure and Cofragigus. These adjustment, is no crazy or absurd at all, but it shows something wonderful, people are already realising that she requires certain team adjustments (it can be either an item, a move, a pokemon itself or and EV spread), or simply put, an ensured hit to be over the threat she represents (as in Water Shuriken, Disguise+ Play Rough, and priority moves that can pick a weakened Phero). Given the fact that she cannot simply erase your team if you have took her in comsideration.
so she restricts team building to the point that multiple mons become irrelevant, but its apparently ok because some garbage mons get viability? (not talking about gengar and volc, just the other ones you mentioned)
Unlike Landorus Incarnate, she doesnt have impeccable coverage at once, no broken typing and ability like Aegislash, or utterly massive support with Mega Blaziken speed boost-baton pass, she has her own right counters and soft counters, and the decisive fact that she needs to kill or will be killed, above this, is the fact that one mistake, one missed focus blast, one missed high jump kick, a lost sash, or a mispedriction in early, mid and late game (all of them factible scenarios) will result in her dying and not doing the originally planned and crucial damage in a much more difficult game upmatch, is she doesn´t you will continue with a normal battle in a metagame that is already finding viable solutions to face a cockroach that begs for the use of a ghost type, priority, speed control or simplya choice scarf in your team.
phero does have good coverage and she has a broken ability in beast boost which just snowballs on every set.
I vote No Ban if I have the right to do so. Tough a special ban is not bad idea.
Please comment :heart:
i feel as if you're downplaying phero's strengths, and not giving it enough credit for pressuring teams so much just by being there.

Last edited:
There really seems to be too much bias in these arguments. I mean since when are Jellicent, Chandelure and Cofagrigus "garbage mons"?

Are we all supposed to abandon any creativity and not adapt to the meta and not adjust our teams, just so that we all have to continue to use the same tired old 30 Pokémon in every OU team that we build?

Everybody shat over Alolan Marowak at first and mocked people for using it. But guess what; the smart people realized it was very effective at dealing with threats in the current meta and teams were adapted accordingly and it's usage soared.

You're basically saying "we shouldn't have to use different Pokémon to combat Pheromosa. We should be able to use the same Pokémon we were already using and still win."

It's a stupid argument.

So was the argument about Pheromosa being too versatile and unpredictable. You say the scarf set wrecks Rain teams. Well I thought Quiver Dance sets and the Normalium and Fightinium Z sets were all the most common sets? So which is it then? Rain can overcome most Pheromosa but it also can't at the same because it MIGHT be holding a Scarf?

And as for bad arguments, the whole idea of restricting team building needs to be applied to every facet of the game if we are supposed to take that argument seriously. You need to include an answer to Pheromosa in your team? Okay fine. But you also need to include an answer to entry hazards. And status spreaders. And baton passers. And rapid spinners. And steel types. And weather users. And substitutes. And terrain. And ghosts. And greninja. And priority. And dedicated walls. And toxapex. And phazers. And the list goes on. And I don't see anyone asking for suspects on any of these things apart from greninja. So how is restricting team building ever an argument that can be taken seriously? Look at Stealth Rock which literally prevents you from running anything with a 4x rock weakness unless you build a whole team around preventing rocks being set up. It's ridiculously restricting yet it's just been accepted.

I think if the meta was allowed to evolve and people were creative, perhaps Pheromosa could be accepted as well. But until then, if you're going to complain about restricting team building, don't do it in this thread. And don't start with Pheromosa.

So many frustrating arguments that are based a lot on bias and personal dislike of Pheromosa. I'm not convinced the overwhelming decision to ban her is completely warranted. So NO BAN from where I'm sitting.

There really seems to be too much bias in these arguments. I mean since when are Jellicent, Chandelure and Cofagrigus "garbage mons"?

Are we all supposed to abandon any creativity and not adapt to the meta and not adjust our teams, just so that we all have to continue to use the same tired old 30 Pokémon in every OU team that we build?

Everybody shat over Alolan Marowak at first and mocked people for using it. But guess what; the smart people realized it was very effective at dealing with threats in the current meta and teams were adapted accordingly and it's usage soared.

You're basically saying "we shouldn't have to use different Pokémon to combat Pheromosa. We should be able to use the same Pokémon we were already using and still win."

It's a stupid argument.

So was the argument about Pheromosa being too versatile and unpredictable. You say the scarf set wrecks Rain teams. Well I thought Quiver Dance sets and the Normalium and Fightinium Z sets were all the most common sets? So which is it then? Rain can overcome most Pheromosa but it also can't at the same because it MIGHT be holding a Scarf?

And as for bad arguments, the whole idea of restricting team building needs to be applied to every facet of the game if we are supposed to take that argument seriously. You need to include an answer to Pheromosa in your team? Okay fine. But you also need to include an answer to entry hazards. And status spreaders. And baton passers. And rapid spinners. And steel types. And weather users. And substitutes. And terrain. And ghosts. And greninja. And priority. And dedicated walls. And toxapex. And phazers. And the list goes on. And I don't see anyone asking for suspects on any of these things apart from greninja. So how is restricting team building ever an argument that can be taken seriously? Look at Stealth Rock which literally prevents you from running anything with a 4x rock weakness unless you build a whole team around preventing rocks being set up. It's ridiculously restricting yet it's just been accepted.

I think if the meta was allowed to evolve and people were creative, perhaps Pheromosa could be accepted as well. But until then, if you're going to complain about restricting team building, don't do it in this thread. And don't start with Pheromosa.

So many frustrating arguments that are based a lot on bias and personal dislike of Pheromosa. I'm not convinced the overwhelming decision to ban her is completely warranted. So NO BAN from where I'm sitting.
Well, I do agree that people jump to quickly to call a mon a "garbage mon" but the rest of this argument is something I just can't agree with. Just because some sets get more usage doesn't mean that others aren't used a lot and that simply guess which one they have wrong can easily cost you the match. Secondly, it restricts teams on a different level then what anything you listed besides maybe rocks, which I honestly still feel way more restricted by mosa then rocks, so yeah degree of restriction is what matters. Finally the meta was allowed to try to adapt to mosa, and whenever it tried, mosa adapted back.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
For a long time, to be quite honest. If you look at the Viability Rankings, you will see that none of these Pokemon are ranked above C- and two of the three aren't even ranked, which is surely a testament to their lack of practical use and niche in the current metagame.

I think that the metagame actually has shifted to Pheromosa to an extent. Alolan Marowak has seen more usage, Assault Vest Tornadus-Therian is sorta a thing now, Gengar is common, Toxapex went through a phase where it was very common, and there's always the occasional Clefable. The thing is that despite attempts to adjust, the metagame still cannot fully handle Pheromosa or it takes very specific countermeasures that aren't sufficient to cover such a dominant threat, leading many people to believe that Pheromosa is banworthy.

It's a stupid argument.
I mean I can't speak for the entire community, but I always personally thought that Alolan Marowak was a nice Pokemon to use for defensive utility + offensive breaking purposes; however, I do understand that it saw a brief dip in usage back in like January. I think that was more due to various other factors, not necessarily Pheromosa or people simply forgetting it existed, but a different cycle of top, dominant threats making Alolan-Marowak less viable than it otherwise would be. With this acknowledged, I think that you're looking at things from a very linear and one-sided perspective that simply is not the full truth. People have been using Alolan-Marowak lately (not on every team, but that would be ridiculous) and the overall consensus is that even with a few legitimate checks and counters that are common, Pheromosa is banworthy. You could apply the logic you're using here to anything and try to label it as not broken. "SD Mega Lucario is walled by Jellicent, Cofagrigus, Chandelure, and Alolan Marowak, why do people not simply use these Pokemon more instead of complaining about SD Mega Lucario?" for example -- no, this isn't me comparing it to Pheromosa, just echoing your logic to show you the flaw. We do not work in this way -- we cannot have a singular Pokemon, a fraction of the metagame, dictate so much usage and shape the outlook of the tier, that's simply too much and it's why we tier, it's why we draw a line when it's simply so hard to consistently deal with things unless the counterplay is sufficient.

I mean I can't really speak for anyone else, but Rain simply isn't too common and the most common set probably is Z-Fight (Spin or QD) followed by Scarf and Specs, all of which have different merits and I'd say Scarf isn't "broken" at all, but the others are very limited in terms of counterplay and the overall element of unpredictability at the start makes initial switching-in/figuring out how to deal with it a pain in the ass for a lot of teams, which plays into its favor even if it can only use four moves and one item at a time -- that's what people are trying to say. You can only use one set at a time and that is a limiting factor for every Pokemon that is versatile, but the threat of multiple other things can easily play into how the opponent tries to deal with Pheromosa and that's the relevant takeaway from this.

Listing elements of the game that do not directly pertain to each other or hold the same weight and then using it as a wishy-washy excuse to try and say that there is no reason to ban a single one of them, in Pheromosa, that is actually harder to deal with comparatively is not a valid argument. You should seriously rethink your entire tiering philsophy if you're going to employ this logic because it's borderline ridiculous and you should know that preparing for "the steel type" and "Pheromosa" are two totally different things and one can be dealt with in so many different ways while the other is a single Pokemon, a direct Pokemon that can be addressed in a tiering context and cannot be made a point of comparison for anything else you listed, really.

It's a stupid argument.

When pokemon that have no viable niche outside of countering one specific threat, people tend to (inappropriately) call them garbage mons. Jellicent, Cofagrigus, and (to a certain extent Chandy) just don't really fit in very well with the current meta. The existence of Greninja makes them a huge liability because that's a free switch in (and possibly free spikes) for a really dangerous 'mon that's more or less ubiquitous. The fact that things like Jellicent, Cofagrigus and Chady are suggested as hard counters to Phero points to its centralization. Marowak is a completely different story because it's capable of hitting really hard, and almost no physical wall really likes taking hits from it (whereas most special walls can comfortably tackle Chandelure); additionally, it can set rocks, giving you a lot of momentum. So I wouldn't conflate Chandy and Marowak just because they share typing and hit hard. They perform very differently despite some apparent similarities.

ALSO: I agree that we should foster creativity, and that's why we should ban Phero. It's hardly creative to slap a Pheromosa on your team; really, the only creativity you're getting is mayyyybe some volt-turn cores. The degree to which Phero stifles and warps the meta inhibits creativity. Just coming up with one niche counter isn't creative, it's indicative of an unhealthy level centralization.

One last piece to respond to: your argument saying Phero's team building restrictions isn't a good argument isn't really that good. I can grant you there are certain elements like Rocks and Greninja that MUST be explicitly prepared for or else you're likely to be steamrolled, but the rest of the stuff you listed isn't really that tough to do. There are lots of ways to handle most of the things you listed with simple role compression. The problems arise when you have to devote too much space to one certain element. For example, preparing for Toxapex isn't that hard because it also covers a ton of other things, like anything weak to Electric moves or strong Ground moves (of which there are a ton in this meta); on the other hand, preparing for Pheromosa is really hard because you have to be able to move faster (really tough given that godly speed tier and ability) or comfortably take a hit (which is matchup dependent because it can run so many sets and pick and choose what it can hit--teams often are built around the Phero set). What I'm getting at is that the degree to which you have to go out of your way to prepare for Pheromosa is unhealthy, which is not the case for pretty much anything not named Greninja or Metagross (and you can make a case for hazards, but this community is pretty heavily in favor of them).

Last edited:
This indirectly proposes the necessity for offensive pokemon to be able to tank hits and switch into attacks consistently, which isn't entirely true. By applying this same logic to all offensive pokemon, then Mega Lucario and Dexoxys-Attack wouldn't be overpowered simply because they are unable to tank any sort of hit whatsoever. Reiteratively employing this again into offensive pokemon found in OU such as Tapu koko or Greninja, they simply cannot recklessly switch into attacks consistently. Pheromosa doesn't have to stomach a hit since it can already outspeed and OHKO such a large portion of OU when utilizing the correct STAB/Coverage move and even when it fails to do so, nobody is stopping it from clicking U-turn. Switching Pheromosa in is more like a mission then a simple click, but so much so for nearly all other offensive pokemon barring Mega Metagross, so this isn't just a drawback on Pheromosa's part, but for every other Offensive one as well, including those who supposedly have bulk such a Kyruem-Black and Mega Mawile.

?

For the most part, the only time she hits bug STAB is when she clicks U-Turn or Specs Bug Buzz, and these are significantly more arduous to switch into then you suggest. Specs Bug Buzz hits hard enough to 2HKO even resists such as Offensive Landorus-T and Tapu Koko without any form of chip damage whatsoever, and good luck trying to punish U-Turn. Nearly every pokemon is compromised by stealth rocks, because who doesn't enjoy free switching and the ability to not stack recoil over any current recoil inducer that they may have, and Pheromosa has it easy compared to likes of its bug brethen (Volcarona and Mega Pinsir come to mind) due to fact that it isn't weak to it and can remove it itself with rapid spin. Bug-STAB is usually the most spammable attacks it has in its arsenal in most circumstances, and even in the presence of opposing resists that usually resist Fighting-STAB as well.

*The pressure it creates around its team mates. They take too many hits for her, and she is usally run on hyper offenisve and bulky teams with little to no time to recover or lose momentum. Everything has disadvantages, and as easy as it is to kill major threats with her, youll feel how early game makes it a seemingly team of 5, where she can only go first or after a slow u-turn. If she is saved to sweep, then is the opposite, you are likely to be walled throughout game and the other player can force a Phero builded for late game sweeping in and then, the true counter game begins. An effective, and generally useful way to kill her easily is to use yourself a slow Volt Switch/ U-turn, and bring in a scarfed pokemon, a priority move or anything that can take a hit and menace her buds. She creates as equally as offensive pressure as she limits your defensive cores switchs durability.

On paper, this may indeed be a problem but in practice, its not exactly how it turns out. Nobody forced you to go first or last in that matter, and based on its set, walling it will differ substantially. QD + Breakneck Blitz is an absolute menace for stall to deal with after Unaware Clef goes down, and for the most part, it is one of the only pokemon in OU that can apply such insane pressure to every kind of playstyle ranging from Hyper Offense to All Out Stall. Nothing wants to come in onto any one of its standard STABS and coverage sans Toxapex and Unaware Clef, and there is very limited counter play offensives-wise and very select few that can actually wall it, and none of them can wall each and every one of its sets. It can put in work in anytime of a battle, whether you use it as a lead or a Wall-breaker or a cleaner. It isn't limited to its teammates nor are its teammates limited to it in the least.

While I agree with everything that has so far been said about how broken Pheromosa is, I think the biggest thing about it is that it does not take up a Mega slot. For instance, Lucario on its own isn't very threatening, but Mega Lucario is too good. Pheromosa is, in this sense, like Mega Lucario plus so much more. Not only is it absolutely broken in the current meta, it lets you use another Mega Evolution, such as Mega Metagross or Mega Mawile. Tl;Dr Pheromosa is broken not only in that it has insane power and restricts teambuilding, but also in that it doesn't take up a Mega slot.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
While I agree with everything that has so far been said about how broken Pheromosa is, I think the biggest thing about it is that it does not take up a Mega slot. For instance, Lucario on its own isn't very threatening, but Mega Lucario is too good. Pheromosa is, in this sense, like Mega Lucario plus so much more. Not only is it absolutely broken in the current meta, it lets you use another Mega Evolution, such as Mega Metagross or Mega Mawile. Tl;Dr Pheromosa is broken not only in that it has insane power and restricts teambuilding, but also in that it doesn't take up a Mega slot.
This honestly doesn't make any sense. I'm not denying Pheromosa's unhealthy as hell for the metagame (other people have gone over why a bunch of times, so I'm not gonna rehash it), but not taking up your Mega slot doesn't really have anything to do with it, and it's DEFINITELY not the biggest factor. While it is true that being able to put Phero and M Metagross, for example, on the same team can produce a fearsome offensive core, if a mon is too strong for the rest of the meta to handle it effectively then that's gonna be true regardless of whether it's a Mega. The restriction that it places on the rest of the metagame would still be significantly greater than the restriction to the user's teambuilding that would exist if it was a Mega, since requiring the opponent to have one or more of a given set of checks/counters in order to reliably win is more restrictive than requiring the user not to have a small handful of other mons on the team.

Pheromoas should be banned.

Ofc its really fragile but its unnormal power and speed makes it too strong for the metagame. Pheromosa has a great movepool and can run different sets like Focus Sash, Life Orb, Choice Scarf or Fightium Z (which can 1hko Mega Metagross and Mega Scizor for example).
Pheromosas movepool makes it set unpredictable. The only good switch in is Toxapex.
Also Pheromosa has U-turn which let it switch out against checks + it has Beast Boost which can make it faster than every other scarf mon or revenge killer.
I really enjoyed the ladder without Pheromosa so I want to see it banned.

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I know the arguments have been said all throughout this thread so I'll keep it short. I was originally no ban towards Pheromosa at first but the fact that there's almost zero good anti-ban arguments against it means that it would only be logical to vote ban. The only anti-ban argument that holds some water is that Phero is frail af but when you're faster than the whole unboosted meta, have an ability that boosts your highest stat (which can be atk, spa, or spe), and have amazing moves like HJK, QD, and U-turn at your disposal it doesn't even matter. Pheromosa's stats and movepool give it so much versatility, being able to function as an All-out Attacker, Quiver Dance sweeper, or a Scarf revenge killer means that counters to all these sets are sparse. This means that most teams usually need to have at least 2 checks to Phero, often times more, which implies an unhealthy meta. Then we get into Z-moves and the counters to Pheromosa, don't counter it anymore, like Toxapex who is considered the best Phero counter, gets bopped by Breakneck Blitz. There's nothing more to say really, the pro massively outweigh the cons and I'm surprised Deoxys-Bug didn't get suspected sooner, ban.

we cannot have a singular Pokemon, a fraction of the metagame, dictate so much usage and shape the outlook of the tier, that's simply too much
Out of pure curiosity, why doesn't this apply to Landorus-T? Its usage is unparalleled and it undoubtedly shapes the outlook of the tier by its presence (there's a reason why HP Ice is such a common coverage move, and in this meta it isn't salamence or garchomp; but in all seriousness, Lando's 4 sets must all be expected and prepared for, preferably with ice type coverage). Is there any reason for its staying power besides it not being the insane snowball sweeper/cleaner that Phero is?

Out of pure curiosity, why doesn't this apply to Landorus-T? Its usage is unparalleled and it undoubtedly shapes the outlook of the tier by its presence (there's a reason why HP Ice is such a common coverage move, and in this meta it isn't salamence or garchomp; but in all seriousness, Lando's 4 sets must all be expected and prepared for, preferably with ice type coverage). Is there any reason for its staying power besides it not being the insane snowball sweeper/cleaner that Phero is?
It's significantly easier to prepare for Landorus-T, and using some of its sets over others makes you MUCH weaker to much of the metagame. Simply put, Lando-T doesn't really impose too heavy of a burden on the metagame whereas Phero does. Checking/countering Lando is really easy while checking/countering Pheromosa is significantly harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)