np: SV UU Stage 0 - Start of Something New (Hello SV UU!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can’t ban anything until January 1 and Espathra is likely rising to OU anyways. I think it’s pretty understood by everyone that, if we could ban things, Espathra would have been long banned by now.
I must've missed the memo. Why isn't UU doing any quickbans right away the same way OU did? Not trying to be snarky, I genuinely don't know.

I must've missed the memo. Why isn't UU doing any quickbans right away the same way OU did? Not trying to be snarky, I genuinely don't know.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/tiering-for-generation-9.3711698/

Basically, all lower tiers are in "Alpha" during their month of release and Tier Leaders / Council can not do anything during that frame of time.
We need to wait the second month for the tier to be out of "Alpha" and be able to ban / suspect things.

So I discovered something potentially interesting, (hopefully, I'm not late on this)

Slowking @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 208 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Slack Off
- Chilly Reception
- Future Sight
- Yawn

I've been using Yawn Slowking a bunch lately as a way to punish Espartha's chances of sweeping, and combined with Slither Wing + some other types, it can handle Espartha nicely. Espartha could run Substitute which I've seen before but I think most meta Espartha's prefer the standard Protect + Screens Support or whatever. (The EVs on Slowking can be anything you want them to be, I'm a weirdo so I decided this investment)

Lemme hear your thoughts on this set, note that this set can also be applicable to Quagsire (Has Unaware + Yawn too)

We can’t ban anything until January 1 and Espathra is likely rising to OU anyways. I think it’s pretty understood by everyone that, if we could ban things, Espathra would have been long banned by now. But it doesn’t matter since by the time we are able to ban things it’s likely out of the tier on its own anyways
It's not because it's "likely rising to OU" that we can't discuss about it. That's our biggest problem in the current UU. If this stay in UU, the discussions we had before will be a good starting point.

Slip

dancing to alarm bells
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
It's not because it's "likely rising to OU" that we can't discuss about it. That's our biggest problem in the current UU. If this stay in UU, the discussions we had before will be a good starting point.
Just from the general discussion about Espathra I have seen, I believe that if it did happen to stay UU the verdict has been to just quick ban it without much push back from anyone in this thread or in the UU discord. I think what BFM was trying to get at here was the idea that Espathra being broken is pretty widely agreed upon, but we won't have to deal with banning it if it rises to OU by the end of the month anyways. I think its fine to talk about Espathra personally, but the general discussion is just going in circles about how broken the Pokemon is currently instead of any new developments on sets or counters.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/tiering-for-generation-9.3711698/

Basically, all lower tiers are in "Alpha" during their month of release and Tier Leaders / Council can not do anything during that frame of time.
We need to wait the second month for the tier to be out of "Alpha" and be able to ban / suspect things.
Why was this decision made? OU was able to QB problematic Pokemon, and Espathra clearly is for us in UU. The sooner it's gone, the better, so why do we need to wait the whole month?

I feel like those two Pokémon are so threatening. Being able to change their typing to Steel-type and basically flip over their whole types chart is so threatening especially when our Fairy-types can really do much vs Terastallization Steel. Steel-type in also such an insane typing in a tier filled by priorities such as First Impression, Extreme Speed and Ice Shard. While Salamence can be kept in check by things like Unaware Quagsire, Haxorus can really mess around with it thanks to Mold Breaker. Haxorus can also play the 50/50 vs Quagsire (either use its Terastallization or not) in order to mess around with it between Toxic or Earthquake. I've been trying to run Mental Herb on those two in order to mess around with Prankster users such as Sableye and Grafaiai. Since most of the time, Sableye will try to Encore first in order to be able to have multiple occasions to hit its Will-O-Wisp, I found this item quite interesting to play. But yeah overall those two Pokémon are definitively something to keep in mind when you're making teams.

Wo-Chien is an underrated pick which is able to shine to a massive extent imo. I'm seeing this Pokémon like Celesteela in SS UU, it's super annoying to wear it down and it cripples foes really well. Its typing is definitively worst than Celesteela but Knock Off and to a lesser extent Ruination makes up for it. I believe Terastallization Fairy is your best option since it covers many weaknesses of Grass/Dark-typings, this allows Wo-Chien to check really well Slither Wing. It's also a great Pokémon to fit on rain teams.

1670708593057.png

Tauros-Paldea-Water @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Raging Bull
- Close Combat
- Substitute

I am a huge fan of Aqua Tauros with Tera Dark for an uno reverse card on Slowking thinking they can force you out with Future Sight. I also like this set for potentially surprising screen setters / prankster users like Morgem by both destroying their screens with Raging Bull and dodging their Prankster crap with Tera Dark. This mon is legitimately viable, use it!

Last edited:

Lily

is this what you wanted?
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
Why was this decision made? OU was able to QB problematic Pokemon, and Espathra clearly is for us in UU. The sooner it's gone, the better, so why do we need to wait the whole month?
apologies I'm kinda late to this but the logic is that this tier currently just exists for fun and not for serious tiering or competition; the reasoning is that we're below the ever-changing OU tier which we're set to lose/gain more than 10 pokemon to/from already, and we're only 11 days into the month! basically tiering anything right now is a pointless endeavour because we could gain checks, lose checks, or even straight up lose the pokemon we're tiering against. OU doesn't have to deal with this because there are no chaotic shifts that impact it. i agree Espathra is very clearly stupid but it's rising to OU anyway so at least there's that to look forward to. hope this explanation makes sense.

BlackKnight_Gawain

PUPL Champion
apologies I'm kinda late to this but the logic is that this tier currently just exists for fun and not for serious tiering or competition; the reasoning is that we're below the ever-changing OU tier which we're set to lose/gain more than 10 pokemon to/from already, and we're only 11 days into the month! basically tiering anything right now is a pointless endeavour because we could gain checks, lose checks, or even straight up lose the pokemon we're tiering against. OU doesn't have to deal with this because there are no chaotic shifts that impact it. i agree Espathra is very clearly stupid but it's rising to OU anyway so at least there's that to look forward to. hope this explanation makes sense.
The funniest thing is that OU might be looking to ban or suspect Espathra anyway (I don't actually think it'll happen but the sentiment does exist). It'd be really funny though if had gotten kicked out of OU first before UU got a chance to ban it.

Anyway, moving on from this another thing I'd like to ask after getting kicked out of the UU tour round 1, how are people dealing with fatter teams? My UU teams right now lean toward balance or HO, but I'm struggling to find wallbreakers that work against fat cores. I remembered Primeape exists and could do a similar thing to its evo, but I wanted to get some thoughts on what people are finding success out of that aren't Gengar or Staraptor and the like.

Just from the general discussion about Espathra I have seen, I believe that if it did happen to stay UU the verdict has been to just quick ban it without much push back from anyone in this thread or in the UU discord. I think what BFM was trying to get at here was the idea that Espathra being broken is pretty widely agreed upon, but we won't have to deal with banning it if it rises to OU by the end of the month anyways. I think its fine to talk about Espathra personally, but the general discussion is just going in circles about how broken the Pokemon is currently instead of any new developments on sets or counters.
Ok I see the pov

Not really a huge fan of the prankster Grafaiai's and the occasional Sableye floating around so just wanted to highlight a couple mons that can properly take advantage of tera dark, (while we still have it)

Gyrados - becomes a mega gyrados. STAB crunch I think does consistent damage and stops gengar. All in all dark typing is pretty decent coverage plus sucker resist, in addition to stopping prankster. Earthquake seems pretty essential for coverage but unfortunately you're countered now by Hydreigon. I like this one the most because once it gets Moxie off it's pretty hard to stop.

Iron Thorns - inferior tyranitar can become a tyranitar again.

Polteageist - It seems like there's more options for this mon to get up a shell smash compared to Gyrados and Iron Thorns trying to set up right now.

I don't think dark tera overall is the best typing but out of 6 mons I think giving one of them dark for situational advantage helps a lot.

give us tera electric Shedinja you cowards.

I think I accidentally found something that does somewhat good against Rain, or more speficially Pelipper. Yeah turns out Glaceon of all things absolutely destroys Pelipper without possibly needing to outspeed, since both Pokemon have the exact speed, and it doesn't matter how much SpD investment Pelipper has, because it gets cleanly OHKOed by even an unboosted STAB Freeze-Dry. The only way for it to not die is to pivot out. which is also a bad decision because whoever is coming in is gonna get either OHKOed or hurt pretty badly. In fact I Glaceon can even live Barraskewda's Close Combat with solid Defense investment, mostly thanks to it's base 110 Defense stat. Shame that it gets forgoetten because of it's Speed and typing, because it can actually be useful somewhere

I think I accidentally found something that does somewhat good against Rain, or more speficially Pelipper. Yeah turns out Glaceon of all things absolutely destroys Pelipper without possibly needing to outspeed, since both Pokemon have the exact speed, and it doesn't matter how much SpD investment Pelipper has, because it gets cleanly OHKOed by even an unboosted STAB Freeze-Dry. The only way for it to not die is to pivot out. which is also a bad decision because whoever is coming in is gonna get either OHKOed or hurt pretty badly. In fact I Glaceon can even live Barraskewda's Close Combat with solid Defense investment, mostly thanks to it's base 110 Defense stat. Shame that it gets forgoetten because of it's Speed and typing, because it can actually be useful somewhere
Can you please stop spamming Glaceon? Seeing you essentially make a copypasta by yourself is kinda weird.

Can you please stop spamming Glaceon? Seeing you essentially make a copypasta by yourself is kinda weird.
Did you know that in terms of checking Rain, Glaceon is the most compatible Pokemon for UU? Not only does it not need to outspeed Pelipper due to having the same speed, Glaceon cleanly OHKOs with an unboosted STAB Freeze-Dry, and with Glaceon's impressive Special Attack stat, it can force Pelipper to pivot out. Due to its mostly defensive investment, there's no doubt in my mind that Glaceon can live Barraskewda's Close Combat, so that you could easily click Freeze Dry for hours. They can also learn the moves Water Pulse, Shadow Ball and Heal Bell, along with having an Ice Type, so it'd be incredibly easy to switch in to enemy Glaceons. With its Ice Body ability, it can easily recover HP with Leftovers with Slowking support. No other Pokemon comes close with this level of viability. Also, fun fact, if you give Eevee a Thunderstone, you'll get a better Pokemon. Glaceon is literally built for Pelipper checking. Ungodly Freeze-Dries + high defense stat + Freeze Dry means it can take U-turns all day, all percentages and hazards and still come for more.

Somewhere, yes, in UU, no.

After reading the Lycanroc-Dusk thread, it made me wonder whether base Lycanroc can find a niche in the tier.

It's the only legal Sand Rush user (Houndstone is Ubers), and has coverage moves and rock priority, meaning it can pair w/ Hippowdon to become a potentially dangerous sweeper. But with the prevelance of Rain and it's unfavorable MU vs Barraskewda (dies to banded Aqua Jet and Accelerock only OHKOs at +2 w/ Life Orb), Lycanroc will need a lot of team support to find success.

Here's hoping that rocky doggo and it's hippo friend can succeed in UU.

After reading the Lycanroc-Dusk thread, it made me wonder whether base Lycanroc can find a niche in the tier.

It's the only legal Sand Rush user (Houndstone is Ubers), and has coverage moves and rock priority, meaning it can pair w/ Hippowdon to become a potentially dangerous sweeper. But with the prevelance of Rain and it's unfavorable MU vs Barraskewda (dies to banded Aqua Jet and Accelerock only OHKOs at +2 w/ Life Orb), Lycanroc will need a lot of team support to find success.

Here's hoping that rocky doggo and it's hippo friend can succeed in UU.
Think you mean Lycanrock Day but both could potentially work. Iron Thorns is also alright in Sand too

Espathra gotta go, I wish I had voice chat to yell at people using this shit, so unbearably lame.
In time, my friend. I think everyone here and in the UU Discord wants the ostrich gone and nobody will mourn for it when it either rises to OU by usage or gets banned from here, whichever happens first. As for why it's still here while OU was able to take action in November, I'll let the tier leader herself explain it:

How viable do you think Avalugg would be on a snow team? Previously its massive physical bulk was undermined by its many weaknesses and vulnerability to hazards. But now it has hdb, not to mention snow is much easier to fit on teams than hail so its ice body + snow defense boost gives it insane physical longevity only hampered by its typing.

the set i like to run is

1670934460671.png

Frostbite (Avalugg) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Ice Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Aurora Veil
- Ice Spinner

pair it with a chilly reception user and it can really enable stuff like belly drum users (especially cetitan) and espathra (well, for now at least) with veil.

How viable do you think Avalugg would be on a snow team? Previously its massive physical bulk was undermined by its many weaknesses and vulnerability to hazards. But now it has hdb, not to mention snow is much easier to fit on teams than hail so its ice body + snow defense boost gives it insane physical longevity only hampered by its typing.

the set i like to run is

View attachment 473710

Frostbite (Avalugg) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Ice Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Aurora Veil
- Ice Spinner

pair it with a chilly reception user and it can really enable stuff like belly drum users (especially cetitan) and espathra (well, for now at least) with veil.
While ChatGPT might not yet fully understand the type chart, I agree with its general argument :smogduck:

Screenshot 2022-12-13 194848.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)