'NU' and Creative Movesets / EV Spreads

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Posting the set that my Exeggutor has always been using on my sun team, and proving that Heat Rock isn't all that important. Making it into C&C format because I'm used to it >.>

[SET]
name: Subsitute + Sunny Day
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Sunny Day
move 3: SolarBeam
move 4: Psyshock
item: Leftovers
ability: Chlorophyll
nature: Modest
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

• Substitute allows Exeggutor to get past several of its usual checks and avoids revenge killing
  • Once in, Substitute should be the first move used, not Sunny Day; it saves a turn of sun and also doesn't reveal Sunny Day as quickly
  • For example, with a Substitute up, it cannot be revenge killed by Choice Scarf Rotom-S as Psyshock will KO it while Substitute takes an Air Slash. Even it it Volt Switches out, you get a free hit to fire off
  • Substitute as a Swellow comes in to revenge kill then a) Substitute again predicting a U-turn b) Sunny Day as it Brave Birds then Psyshock it
  • Substitute says hi to Sucker Punch Absol
  • All it means Substitute sort of prevents itself from being revenge killed by priority and faster Pokemon most of the time
  • thanks tennisace for the damage calc: 252SpAtk Exeggutor (+SAtk) SolarBeam vs 252HP/0SpDef Eviolite Tangela (Neutral): 42% - 50% (141 - 167 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO. 2HKO with Stealth Rock??
  • Sunny Day makes Exeggutor a self-efficient sweeper by setting sun up after it fades if it still has a Substitute
  • SolarBeam is reliable with consistent sun; 5 turns of sun is enough, and if it isn't you might be able to set it up with just Exeggutor anyway
  • Psyshock says hi to Cryogonal and Magmortar. I've never tested Psychic but Psyshock has served me well and whatever I want to hit with Psychic is already dented by SolarBeam
  • Leftovers to make multiple Substitutes
  • Chlorophyll to sweep since Harvest SubSeed isn't strong enough
  • Modest because Speed isn't too much of a concern... Just increase firepower~~
  • EVs are standard
  • Overall a sweeper + reliable sun inducer??
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• not as strong as Choice Specs, but better at sweeping + set up sun
  • its not breaking through Miltank etc anyway
  • Psychic as alternative to Psyshock but the latter is usually better
  • still falls to Skuntank
  • Wish from Alomomola could be helpful when its HP gets too low
  • Another sun sweeper (Victreebel??) can use the sun if Exeggutor faints or gets forced out somehow, but note the lack of Heat Rock
This might seem like the sun sweeper set but imo it can't properly make use of Sunny Day (let alone Heat Rock) with its poor defenses and bad typing. It forces switches so often that Substitute is easy to set up, and so is Sunny Day.

Exeggutor (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- SolarBeam
- Psyshock
- Substitute
- Sunny Day

This is pretty much a huge asset on my sun team and am I the only one using it??? >.> I suck at laddering so feel free to rip off this set to ladder with ^_^

Name: Pseudo-Phasing Relicanth
Move 1: Stealth Rock
Move 2: Yawn
Move 3: Head Smash
Move 4: Substitute
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Rock Head
Nature: Impish
Evs: 252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 Spe

This Relicanth set can really put a dent in your opponent's team. It can be brought mid-game but I like to use it as a lead. The first thing that I do with this set is try to get a Sub up. Once that happens, there is a selection of things that you can do. Depending on the opposing team, you can Yawn to force a switch or if he/she doesn't switch you get your rocks up for free. If they do switch out barring that they don't want to fall asleep, you could either go for another Yawn or hit something hard with a Head Smash. Also, with Relicanth's Hp being 404, a pokemon like Miltank or Hypno that has Seismic Toss cannot break Relicanth's sub in one hit. If your opponent brings in a standard scarfed Sawk to go for the obvious CC, it will only do 57.18% - 67.57%, and after the defense drop, Relicanth's Head Smash will do 47.95% - 56.51% to Sawk. That is a hefty chunk considering it is a resisted hit and there is no Atk investment. Sawsbuck is also a common switch in but a Head Smash will do 65.56% - 77.48% to it when it comes in if predicted right.

All in all, this Relicanth really isn't meant to KO everything on your opponent's team but to make it easier on a late game sweeper and maybe even take out a couple big threats along the way like Braviary or Swellow. The only counter that I can think of would be a Tangela but pair this Relicanth with a Vital Spirit Magmortar and that Tangela won't be much of a problem.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Posting the set that my Exeggutor has always been using on my sun team, and proving that Heat Rock isn't all that important. Making it into C&C format because I'm used to it >.>

[SET]
name: Subsitute + Sunny Day
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Sunny Day
move 3: SolarBeam
move 4: Psyshock
item: Leftovers
ability: Chlorophyll
nature: Modest
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

• Substitute allows Exeggutor to get past several of its usual checks and avoids revenge killing
  • Once in, Substitute should be the first move used, not Sunny Day; it saves a turn of sun and also doesn't reveal Sunny Day as quickly
  • For example, with a Substitute up, it cannot be revenge killed by Choice Scarf Rotom-S as Psyshock will KO it while Substitute takes an Air Slash. Even it it Volt Switches out, you get a free hit to fire off
  • Substitute as a Swellow comes in to revenge kill then a) Substitute again predicting a U-turn b) Sunny Day as it Brave Birds then Psyshock it
  • Substitute says hi to Sucker Punch Absol
  • All it means Substitute sort of prevents itself from being revenge killed by priority and faster Pokemon most of the time
  • thanks tennisace for the damage calc: 252SpAtk Exeggutor (+SAtk) SolarBeam vs 252HP/0SpDef Eviolite Tangela (Neutral): 42% - 50% (141 - 167 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO. 2HKO with Stealth Rock??
  • Sunny Day makes Exeggutor a self-efficient sweeper by setting sun up after it fades if it still has a Substitute
  • SolarBeam is reliable with consistent sun; 5 turns of sun is enough, and if it isn't you might be able to set it up with just Exeggutor anyway
  • Psyshock says hi to Cryogonal and Magmortar. I've never tested Psychic but Psyshock has served me well and whatever I want to hit with Psychic is already dented by SolarBeam
  • Leftovers to make multiple Substitutes
  • Chlorophyll to sweep since Harvest SubSeed isn't strong enough
  • Modest because Speed isn't too much of a concern... Just increase firepower~~
  • EVs are standard
  • Overall a sweeper + reliable sun inducer??
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• not as strong as Choice Specs, but better at sweeping + set up sun
  • its not breaking through Miltank etc anyway
  • Psychic as alternative to Psyshock but the latter is usually better
  • still falls to Skuntank
  • Wish from Alomomola could be helpful when its HP gets too low
  • Another sun sweeper (Victreebel??) can use the sun if Exeggutor faints or gets forced out somehow, but note the lack of Heat Rock
This might seem like the sun sweeper set but imo it can't properly make use of Sunny Day (let alone Heat Rock) with its poor defenses and bad typing. It forces switches so often that Substitute is easy to set up, and so is Sunny Day.

Exeggutor (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- SolarBeam
- Psyshock
- Substitute
- Sunny Day

This is pretty much a huge asset on my sun team and am I the only one using it??? >.> I suck at laddering so feel free to rip off this set to ladder with ^_^
I'm currently using this Eggy set on my non-weather offense team and it has performed really well. What really works about the set is the surprise factor, which has allowed me to gain the advantage in numerous matches. Being able to outspeed and do serious damage to threats such as Magmortar and Jynx has helped out a lot. It can also ruin the momentum of rain teams by setting up on rain sweepers that try to set up, hoping for Exeggutor to switch out.

With that being said, the lack of initial speed makes it hard for Exeggutor to set up against offensive teams; it needs to come in on something that can't really hurt it, like Sawk or Golem. The inability to use grass type attacks on the first turn is also a downside, and it hampers it's ability to revenge things such as Quagsire. Despite these slight flaws, this Exeggutor is still a dangerous threat and fun to use. Props for creating such an awesome set!!

col49

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
I really hope I'm not the only person using this thing, because it's pretty orgasmic if you give it the chance .-.

Miltank
Moveset Name: Offensive
Move 1: Return
Move 2: Earthquake
Move 3: Milk Drink
Move 4: Heal Bell
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Scrappy / Sap Sipper
Nature(s): Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe

Basically nets around 2 kills per match, on average. Though Base 80 Attack in itself isn't all too impressive, Life Orb allows Miltank to hit fairly hard:
Random Tier-Skimming Calcs~
252Atk Life Orb Scrappy Miltank (Neutral) Return vs 4HP/0Def Absol (Neutral): 87% - 102% (237 - 280 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 18% chance to OHKO.
252Atk Life Orb Scrappy Miltank (Neutral) Return vs 4HP/0Def Braviary (Neutral): 57% - 68% (198 - 235 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
252Atk Life Orb Scrappy Miltank (Neutral) Return vs 252HP/0Def Levitate Eelektross (Neutral): 50% - 59% (189 - 223 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
252Atk Life Orb Scrappy Miltank (Neutral) Return vs 132HP/0Def Exeggutor (Neutral): 48% - 57% (178 - 211 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO. 23% chance to 2HKO.
252Atk Life Orb Scrappy Miltank (Neutral) Earthquake vs 252HP/0Def Sturdy Golem (Neutral): 44% - 53% (162 - 194 HP). Guaranteed 3HKO. 10% chance to 2HKO.

Not all too extensive a list (because I'm a bum), but it gets across the message well enough that Miltank provides some immediate offensive pressure. More so, unlike some fellow Normal-types "immediate attackers", Miltank isn't entirely frail. Even the likes of Absol's Sucker Punch is doing a little over half (52-61%) to her, if that gives any idea of it. What's more, this set is almost entirely self-sufficient, utilizing Heal Bell and Milk Drink to serve as it's own white mage, if you will. However, to be perfectly honest, I have been using Sap Sipper much more than I have Scrappy as of late. Hitting Misdreavus and Haunter is all well and good, but Sap Sipper is just plain awesome right now. Not only does it allow Miltank to beat Tangela 1v1 (+annoying shit like SubSeed Exeggutor), but there are just so many Grass-type attacks she can take advantage off right now. It is possibly the best feeling when you bait a Sawsbuck Horn Leech, snag a boost, and proceed to clean out an entire team with a +1 Miltank. But then again, it's all a matter of whether or not you're willing to splurge for Skuntank (or I guess Absol, never really ran a Pursuit variant).

shnen

שוני
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
haha I was actually about to try that miltank before seeing that post
it looks p. cool, I'm gonna use SR over heal bell though cause an offensive SR user is always cool and I'm bored of golem

That miltank set actually looks really cool! In any case, I think you could get away with Sap Sipper and a coverage move over Milk Drink / Heal Bell; a lot of the status moves going around are grass-type, specifically because you have sleep powder and stun spore coming from Tangela, Amoonguss, etc. etc. and you can take advantage of them now. The moveset you have right now does do pretty well against misdreavus though, so I guess your call :P

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender

Linoone
Moveset Name: Choice Band
Move 1: ExtremeSpeed
Move 2: Seed Bomb
Move 3: Shadow Claw
Move 4: Switcheroo
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Pickup
Nature(s): Adamant/Jolly

Choice Band Linoone is one of the best revenge killers in the tier when it comes to dealing with offensive threats that do not boost defense. Instead of packing specific checks to prevent threats such as Absol, Jynx, Swellow, Cinccino, or Magmortar from sweeping your team, simply use Linoone to revenge these beasts. After some prior damage, which is easily accumulated through Stealth Rocks and Life Orb recoil, Linoone can take down these threats with no risk at all due to the high priority of ExtremeSpeed. Even bulkier Pokemon such as Samurott and Braviary take around fifty percent from Linoone. Here are some damage calculations on some of the most dangerous sweepers in the tier when using an Adamant nature.

252 Atk Choice Band Linoone (+Atk) ExtremeSpeed vs 4 HP/0 Def Absol: 79.78% - 94.12% 2 hits to KO

252 Atk Choice Band Linoone (+Atk) ExtremeSpeed vs 0 HP/4 Def Braviary: 53.08% - 62.76% 2 hits to KO

252 Atk Choice Band Linoone (+Atk) ExtremeSpeed vs 0 HP/4 Def Charizard: 58.92% - 69.7% 2 hits to KO

252 Atk Choice Band Linoone (+Atk) ExtremeSpeed vs 4 HP/0 Def Cinccino: 74.32% - 87.67% 2 hits to KO

252 Atk Choice Band Linoone (+Atk) ExtremeSpeed vs 160 HP/0 Def Emboar: 50.87% - 60.1% 2 hits to KO

252 Atk Choice Band Linoone (+Atk) ExtremeSpeed vs 4 HP/0 Def Exeggutor: 49.7% - 58.73% 2-3 hits to KO

252 Atk Choice Band Linoone (+Atk) ExtremeSpeed vs 0 HP/4 Def Gorebyss: 54.18% - 64.54% 2 hits to KO

252 Atk Choice Band Linoone (+Atk) ExtremeSpeed vs 0 HP/4 Def Jynx: 116.24% - 137.27% 100% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Linoone (+Atk) ExtremeSpeed vs 0 HP/4 Def Kangaskhan: 49% - 58.12% 2-3 hits to KO

252 Atk Choice Band Linoone (+Atk) ExtremeSpeed vs 0 HP/4 Def Ludicolo: 63.79% - 75.08% 2 hits to KO

252 Atk Choice Band Linoone (+Atk) ExtremeSpeed vs 0 HP/4 Def Magmortar: 68.04% - 80.41% 2 hits to KO

252 Atk Choice Band Linoone (+Atk) ExtremeSpeed vs 0 HP/4 Def Rotom-S: 56.02% - 66.39% 2 hits to KO

252 Atk Choice Band Linoone (+Atk) ExtremeSpeed vs 0 HP/4 Def Samurott: 49.24% - 58.31% 2-3 hits to KO

252 Atk Choice Band Linoone (+Atk) ExtremeSpeed vs 0 HP/4 Def Sawk: 62.2% - 73.54% 2 hits to KO

252 Atk Choice Band Linoone (+Atk) ExtremeSpeed vs 0 HP/4 Def Sawsbuck: 63.79% - 75.08% 2 hits to KO

252 Atk Choice Band Linoone (+Atk) ExtremeSpeed vs 0 HP/4 Def Swellow: 82.76% - 97.7% 2 hits to KO

This Linoone isn't meant to break through the opponent's team or sweep. It acts like a catch-all revenge killer for powerful sweepers. However, this doesn't mean one can sit there and use Splash for 6 turns while the opponent sets up; Linoone can only 2HKO most of of the threats above. This set is best used on offensive teams where the opposing Pokemon will have to take a hit every time they try to set up, usually resulting in a situation where Linoone can revenge them. Most players will not switch out due to fear of Belly Drum. Once Linoone has done its job, it can cripple a wall such as Tangela with Switcheroo. One can save precious team slots by not having to run defensive Pokemon like Quagsire or Lickilicky, who kill off the precious momentum that an offensive team thrives on.

Linoone
Moveset Name: Choice Band
Move 1: ExtremeSpeed
Move 2: Seed Bomb
Move 3: Shadow Claw
Move 4: Switcheroo
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Pickup
Nature(s): Adamant/Jolly
I really want to try this set out now, it looks really interesting, and could definitely find use on one of my teams. Never thought of using Linoone outside Belly Drum.

Here is a set I have been using to great effect:

Pokemon Name: Sawk
Moveset Name: Fist Fling
Move 1: Close Combat
Move 2: Stone Edge
Move 3: Earthquake
Move 4: Fling
Item: Fist Plate
Ability: Sturdy
Nature(s): Jolly/Adamant
EVs: 4 HP - 252 Atk - 252 Spe

This set has a number of uses over the popular choice scarf set. The first is Close Combat has a lot more power with Fist Plate and it picks up a few extra 2HKOs on some defensive pokemon. Secondly it lures in pokemon who think they can set up on a choice locked CC or Earthquake, only to be KOed by a coverage move. Finally Fling gives it a one off 90 base damage Dark type attack which does impressive damage to many of Sawk's counters, primarily Psychic and Ghost types that otherwise wall Sawk.

As a side note it works really well when passed a few Attack/Speed boosts from Ninjask, Leafeon, whatever.

I have an interesting set I tested a little bit, but I feel like it has a lot of potential.

Musharna @ Chesto Berry
252 HP/252 Def/4 SpDef OR 252 HP/252 SpAtk/4 Def
Relaxed(Quiet), 0 Speed / Synchronize

Calm Mind
Trick Room
Rest
Stored Power/Psychic

I tried using RestTalk+Calm Mind Musharna and got frustrated with how it's too middle-of-the-road to sweep most of the time. If the opponent has a choice bander, Musharna gets 2hko'ed before it can successfully set up and begin to KO things. If the opponent has a hazer, Musharna is too slow to avoid being hit by Clear Smog/Haze before it can abuse its special attack boosts. Even though it had good bulk, its crippling weakness to Clear Smog/Haze, Taunt, and being too easily revenge-killed and worn down by any powerful physical attacker like Emboar, Braviary, etc. led to me being frustrated with its viability. However, this set aims for a one-time sweep in the end-game and it is reasonably successful at doing it. Set up Calm Minds on walls that can't phaze/haze you or resisted attacks, then after getting to +2/+2 or higher, TR->Rest->Clean up with Stored Power or Psychic. Musharna basically can't beat dark-types no matter what moveset it runs, so pairing it with a reliable switch-in to Dark-types such as Gurdurr or Throh is a good idea. The bulky spread can abuse Stored Power better, but +1 Psychic is fairly powerful and is a reliable option regardless of the choice of EV spread. The main reason to use this set over any other TR+NP/CM user is higher bulk, absolutely not being outsped under TR while having the bulk to easily survive non-STAB Sucker Punch, and Stored Power which lets it beat Quagsire 1v1. Musharna is the bulkiest Psychic-type left in the tier, and Rest lets it shake off Toxic quite nicely while setting up on a wide range of offensive threats.

I was actually quite surprised at this set when I actually got to use it. I often make ridiculous concept builds and, predictably, they often fall flat. This one worked surprisingly well and I just had to share it.

GutsRestTalk Ursaring
@Leftovers / Life Orb

Ability: Guts
Return
Bulk Up / Crunch / Brick Break / Cross Chop / Hammer Arm
Rest
Sleep Talk

Nature: Adamant
252 HP
252 Atk
4 SpD

This guy is an absolute powerhouse and a sure shock to the opponent. Every time you see a Protect - Flame Orb - Guts - Facade Ursaring, don't you just want to puke? It's been done a million times. RestTalk Ursaring breaks the mold and brings the pain.

One thing that's great about this set is that it allows Ursaring to get his Guts boost without forcing residual damage on himself. In fact, with Leftovers, he flips it around and gets residual healing. But while sleeping, he still gets his Guts boost, no nasty burn or poison involved.

This set works best with a teammate who can Baton Pass defensive boosts to Ursaring. He's reasonably bulky for an offensive 'mon, but can have a hard time taking powerful hits, even with Rest. He becomes respectably formidable after just 1 boost. More on this later.

Return sadly has to be used over Facade because Facade doesn't get its doubled power from Sleep, only from Burn/Paralysis/Poison. It still hits monstrously hard though, especially after a Bulk Up or two.

The second moveslot leaves a lot open to preference, and will very much determine how much Ursaring has to rely on its teammates vs. how versatile (but weaker) it is. Bulk Up is my preferred option, granting him welcome Attack boosts, and more importantly, more survivability. As long as all major Specially-Offensive threats have been checked, Bulk Up can work wonders toward keeping him alive while simultaneously making him a more potent offensive threat. Rolling a Bulk Up on a Sleep Talk is almost never a bad thing. The obvious problem with Bulk Up, however, is that it makes Ursaring a Mono-Attacker, who is completely walled by Ghost-types. With this set, I run a trapper Skuntank with Pursuit, Taunt, and Sucker Punch to reliably remove any ghosts before switching Ursaring in. Absol can also easily work in this role. Crunch removes Ursaring's ability to set up himself but covers his previous inability to hit Ghosts, and super effectively at that. It also adds up to pretty decent neutral coverage for Rock-types. Lastly are the 3 different options for Fighting moves, which stop Probopass and Bastiodon from walling Ursaring with their 4x resistance to Return. The options here are many: Brick Break has no penalty but is also the weakest, Hammer Arm is one of the best options but lowers Ursaring's speed (which is not invested anyway as this Ursaring doesn't plan on outspeeding much), and Cross Chop is as powerful as Hammer Arm but has low accuracy and PP. Obviously, going with a Fighting attack does not fix Ursaring's problems with Ghost-types and the team should be planned out accordingly. Close Combat is not considered here because this Ursaring is looking to stay in, set up, and take hits while healing them off with Rest. CC's defense drops jeopardize his setup and is better used on a faster Pokemon, or on the traditional switch-friendly Ursaring.

As I mentioned before, since Ursaring is only capable of boosting his own Defense, and not Special Defense, a defensive-boost Baton Passer is quite welcome to ensure Ursaring's setup and subsequent sweep. Likewise, if Ursaring is not running Bulk Up, someone who can pass it or something similar is also welcome. There are a few options available here -

1) Lunatone - Baton Passes Cosmic Power - Yes, Lunatone does get Baton Pass! It was in XD: Gale of Darkness. I don't know why his movelist doesn't reflect this. Anyway, Lunatone has a ton of problems, most notably its 7 weaknesses. However, it does have a nice support movepool including Stealth Rock and Trick Room (if you want to go that route) and can pass perhaps the most welcome boost to Ursaring, Cosmic Power. With full HP and SpD investment she becomes respectably bulky, especially after a few Cosmic Powers which she can then pass to Ursaring.

2) Floatzel or Combusken - Baton Passes Bulk Up - This is useful if Ursaring is carrying a coverage move over Bulk Up, although it does leave him vulnerable on the Special side. Both of these pokes are flimsy as all get out, but their speed can make them viable passers. Combusken seems like a suicidal choice, but it might be worth it with a Focus Sash - Protect - Bulk Up - Baton Pass build, since he can also toss Ursaring some much-needed Speed Boosts. Don't expect to often pass more than 1 Bulk Up with either of these guys, though.

3) Flareon, Leafeon, Glaceon, or Musharna - Baton Passes Curse - Curse is much easier to pass due to its much better distribution and bulkier pokes who get it, but it does have the obvious downside of cutting Ursaring's speed and, of course, leaving him open to Special attacks. Specially Defensive Musharna is probably the best in this role, as it becomes amazingly bulky all-around after a Curse or two, and can set up a lot of extra help for Ursaring in the form of Dual Screens or Trick Room.

4) Drifblim - Baton Passes Stockpile - Drifblim makes a great option as well, being able to pass much-needed Special Defense boosts to our bear. It only stocks up to +3, but Drifblim does perform this role much better due to its better bulk and typing than its counterpart Lunatone, finding plenty of time to set up with its 3 immunities and decent bulk. Drifblim can either use its stock Baton Pass build or go with a modified version of its Unburden builds, which allow it to Baton Pass out faster without fear of getting KO'd. (keep in mind Unburden can't be Baton Passed).

With enough team support this guy rocks. There are a lot of pokemon in the tier to resist his moves, especially if he's monoattacking, but don't underestimate a boosted Guts Ursaring's ability to blast thought a resistance like it's nothing. Simply remove all Ghosts and Rock/Steels, and have at it. It may seem like a silly set, and, well, it is, but if you doubt its ability to run through an unprepared team unopposed, I do have a video up on my channel of this set doing work.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
-snip-

This guy is an absolute powerhouse and a sure shock to the opponent. Every time you see a Protect - Flame Orb - Guts - Facade Ursaring, don't you just want to puke? It's been done a million times. RestTalk Ursaring breaks the mold and brings the pain.

One thing that's great about this set is that it allows Ursaring to get his Guts boost without forcing residual damage on himself. In fact, with Leftovers, he flips it around and gets residual healing. But while sleeping, he still gets his Guts boost, no nasty burn or poison involved.
As cool as the sound of a bulky booster as strong as Ursaring with Guts is, it turns out that this set would only work in Gen IV, as Guts doesn't activate when sleeping sadly. In general though, I really think that Gurdurr performs much better as a Bulk Up user, especially with its much better bulk, recovery in Drain Punch, and priority in Mach Punch. Most of the partners you listed work just as well with Gurdurr, if not better -- why would I want to use Ursaring over Gurdurr?

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus

Curse Regirock

I can't remember where I got this idea. I think that I battled someone who was using this set, it slayed my team, I was impressed ect. If someone has already posted this somewhere, it's a good set!

Regirock @ Leftovers
Adamant
Clear Body
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

-Curse
-Rock Slide / Stone Edge
-Drain Punch
-Thunder Wave / Substitute

Incredibly hard to stop without a Toxic user or strong special attacker. It's all fairly self-explanatory; Leftovers are for healing, which Regirock needs for this set to be effective. The Adamant nature and EV spread focus on bulk (even after one Curse boost Regirock's Defense skyrockets to 654, but it's kinda vulnerable on the special side) and its Attack reaches 492. The high Attack stat is crucial for this set's success, as Regirock uses Drain Punch for recovery. I love Drain Punch, it's a brilliant attack. Fighting and Rock have great coverage, and the two moves work really well together. It works similarly to Gurdurr, sans Mach Punch though. Rock Slide is more reliable than Stone Edge, and the latter's low PP can be a problem. Additionally, if you choose Thunder Wave, this set not only retains some of the standard support set's functionality, but it also turns Regirock into a paraflincher! Pair it up with Tangela for best results.

As cool as the sound of a bulky booster as strong as Ursaring with Guts is, it turns out that this set would only work in Gen IV, as Guts doesn't activate when sleeping sadly. In general though, I really think that Gurdurr performs much better as a Bulk Up user, especially with its much better bulk, recovery in Drain Punch, and priority in Mach Punch. Most of the partners you listed work just as well with Gurdurr, if not better -- why would I want to use Ursaring over Gurdurr?
1) The bulbapedia article needs to be updated. Smogon's definition of Guts says bulbapedia is wrong, the damage calculator says bulbapedia is wrong, and I tested it in-game to make sure that bulbapedia is wrong. This Ursaring build vs. Marshal's Breloom (level 71), Rock Smash dealt ~50% while awake and ~70% while asleep which is concurrent with what the Damage Calculator says it should be doing providing the Breloom is completely uninvested in defense.

2) You're probably right in saying that Gurdurr is all-around a better bulk up user, but to me the whole point of creative movesets is to be unpredictable. A Bulk Up Gurdurr set is woefully predictable while a Bulky RestTalk Ursaring comes out of nowhere. Those turns the opponent uses trying to counter a standard Flame Orb Ursaring are wasted and leaves them in a very unfavorable position. And more importantly, the other point of using creative movesets is that they're fun. THAT is why you would want to use Ursaring over Gurdurr, or Granbull over Kangaskhan, or Kingler over Sawk, or Seismitoad over Quagsire, or Simisage over Magmortar.

shnen

שוני
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
huh noblue, I'm pretty sure Regirock doesn't get Bulk Up although curse works just as well...

Zebraiken, BLA is right. Sleep does activate Guts, I've tried it myself. Your set is very intriguing BLA, it reminds me a lot of the legend that is ResTalk Heracross. The main problem i see with the set is Ursaring's Speed though... it's pretty easy to revenge kill it, and Bulk Up won't help against Fighting-types like Gurdurr who can just boost aong with you, and Sawk who can simply OHKO you through the boosts with Close Combat. Special attackers really hurt it too. Might want some paralysis support to pull this off, and I'd probably take a coverage move over Bulk Up to be honest, as even if Big Bear manages to nab a boost, it will rarely get a chance to sweep. It's also cockblocked by Ghost-, Rock-, and Steel-types if you choose to run Bulk up. The more I think about it, the less reason I see to run Bulk Up over a coverage move. Earthquake would probably be the best of these, as it has lovely coverage with his Normal STAB, and only Haunter and Misdreavus resist it (OK, the only common NUs who resist it) and you can use a Dark-type to get rid of them.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Zebraiken, BLA is right. Sleep does activate Guts, I've tried it myself.
Blame Bulbapedia, not me haha. I've been under the impression that sleep didn't activate Guts ever since I looked there to double check a long time ago. :(

Pachirisu
Moveset Name: Annoying Lead
Move 1: Fling
Move 2: Super Fang
Move 3: Thunder Wave
Move 4: Volt Switch

Item: Flame Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe

After years of pondering a sort of use for Pachirisu, I have finally found one! There is literally no mention of Pachirisu on the whole site for generation 5, but this set is great (not only in NU, but also in tiers up to OU)! Pachirisu has something that many pokemon in the NU tier have: the element of surprise. Nobody knows what this little guy is going to do because nobody uses him. The idea behind the set is to have Pachirisu leading off, and more often than not, he will be facing an opponent that wants to set up Stealth Rock. And these pokemon generally have nothing to fear from Pachirisu; many are ground types so they don't fear Pachirisu in the least. If the opposing lead is some sort of physical attacker that typically leads with stealth rock, fling the flame orb and get that 100% burn. Should the opposing lead be something other than a physical attacker, thunder wave, super fang and volt switch are all great alternatives. Pachirisu doesn't care about burn in the least, so keeping it in without using fling is not a big deal. He still wants that max speed, however, so that he can deal with max speed Sawsbuck wanting to nature power him. I have used this Pachirisu to great effect in all the other tiers as well, seeing it maim and cripple countless Donphans and Hippowdons who just didn't know what to expect. Be mindful of guts users, however.

As far as team members go, Swanna is an outstanding team member. It attracts those electric attacks like crazy, and you can use those to heal your potentially injured/burned Pachirisu as well as gain momentum in the battle!

Here are a few calcs from physical threats in the tier if you're not sold on the bulkiness of our adorable friend (keep in mind that it will be taking a lot of damage, but it will also get the next attack). All calculations are after burn.:

Max Atk Golem Earthquake: 66.67-78.7%
Max Atk Sawsbuck Nature Power: 37.65-44.44%
Max Atk Basculin @ Choice Band Adaptability Waterfall: 42.59-50.62%

Keep in mind that Sawsbuck is a speed tie, and Basculin will outspeed, so if it is banded, there is a 6.25% chance that it will OHKO Pachirisu. It is unlikely that either of these will be leads, however.

It's a nice and unexcepted Pachirisu set, but i've to worry you that the more famous SR setter is Golem and the standard set he runs is with Lum Berry, so if you try to fling Flame Orb on the first turn ('coz you don't want Pachirisu being burned) you only get the consumes of Golem's Lum Berry and a possible KO in answer, since most players tend to attack unknown threats (in my opinion) so, Golem is probably invulnerable on 3/4 of Pachirisu's moveset, Superfang is also a good move since, if the opponent goes for SR over EQ, you survive the first turn and you can half the Golem HP, that is always good (or you can Super Fang the first turn and get Pachirisu burned)

Girafarig @ Leftovers 252 HP / 252 Def/ 4 Spd
Ability: Early Bird

Moveset Name: Calm Mind Tank
Move 1: Calm Mind
Move 2: Psychic
Move 3: Rest
Move 4: Energy Ball/Echoed Voice/Shadow Ball

This set takes advantage of Girafarig's unique typing and Early Bird to set up Calm Minds and heal up with ease. Echoed Voice can be used quite effectively due to stab, but requires use over multiple turns and can be stopped by an opponent's prediction. Energy Ball and Shadow Ball are more reliable moves, but lack the power Echoed Voice can have. Albeit a gimmick set, this poke can take foes off guard. Plus, who doesn't love two headed horse things?

Beartic (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 172 HP / 84 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Avalanche
- Brick Break
- Night Slash

Recommended team members: A Spinner, Ghost type and Flashfire abuser. Hail-lead,

With Beartic being purely Ice type he often doesn’t last long in the NU metagame with there being lots of fire, fighting and rock type attacks. Although he has above average (base 110 attack)

He has access to a decent moves with decent coverage but not all of them are exactly suitable for this set.

The idea behind this set is being able to take neutral (non-stab) hits very well and also setting up +attack and +defence .
I’d say depending on hax isn’t exactly the best strategy but it does work, snow cloak is a great ability to have when trying to setup.

Avalanche is the main form of stab which deals double damage if you were hit on the same turn.
Brick break is for coverage against Steel types
Night slash is to hit Ghost/Psychic Pokemon
And Bulk up is too well, give you more of a chance of taking hits and give you more attacking power.

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Beartic (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 172 HP / 84 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Avalanche
- Brick Break
- Night Slash
Recommended team members: A Spinner, Ghost type and Flashfire abuser. Hail-lead
Shit, people use manual hail now?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)