NU Discussion Thread (Mark II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the plan is to split NU into two tiers, but that is still a long ways away and if there isn't enough popularity it may not even get off the ground.

I think the plan is to split NU into two tiers, but that is still a long ways away and if there isn't enough popularity it may not even get off the ground.
Pretty much, this. Pokemon will be banned only if they're actually broken. They're not going to be banned for just being "too strong" just to get a metagame full of weaker Pokemon. A lower tier might eventually be made where those Pokemon are able to be viably used, but that too would be formed using the same concepts, as Pokemon will only be banned if they're actually broken, and not to form arbitrary metagames.

Pretty much, this. Pokemon will be banned only if they're actually broken. They're not going to be banned for just being "too strong" just to get a metagame full of weaker Pokemon. A lower tier might eventually be made where those Pokemon are able to be viably used, but that too would be formed using the same concepts, as Pokemon will only be banned if they're actually broken, and not to form arbitrary metagames.
Well, I have to agree, but I must admit, I'd love a 'No 90+' tier, where no pokémon has a base stat of over 90.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, I have to agree, but I must admit, I'd love a 'No 90+' tier, where no pokémon has a base stat of over 90.
But we still won't be able to use Luvdisc in this tier :O (Her speed is 97). How about an "Under 400 BST tier"?? All NFE's and Fully Evolved Pokemon can go into this tier. Of course, we can still ban the more broken ones, like Smeragle, Wynaut, maybe Pikachu and Clamperl (Or just simply ban Light Ball and Deepseatooth/scale)

I haven't played a TON of NU, but I have yet to see an NU poke I thought was "too strong" and banned worthy. It seems easier to play around with threatening pokes in NU than standard. Probably due to the fact they just don't hit as hard.

Luvdisk breaks that rule. I think Pidgeot does to.

But anyway, I think we should do THIS to the NU tier.

1) Test for few broken pokemon. (Medicham, most likely, or Entei)
2) Ban broken pokemon.
3) Nothing.

Doesn't ANYONE like my briliant plan?

Oh, and there will never be a teir in which Luvdisk is viable. Even in the last NU, she never was, why would she be now? I mean, come on! She needs a Choice Specs to kill Sala with Ice Beam. BLISSEY is more offensive then her!

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Medicham is the only broken Pokèmon, really. Choice Scarf Medicham can't be Stealth Rocked, and there isn't any priority strong enough to beat it, or anything fast enough to outspeed it. Psycho Cut + Brick Break is ridiculously powerful, and you have to bring in a Gligar / Skuntank on the correct move, or you're screwed. Even the toughest physical walls are easily 3hkoed, but the kicker is that they can't do anything back, bar Dusclops with WOW. The best defense against it is probably the Gligar / Skuntank combo, with a few attack evs in both so they can 2hko it. Too bad Ice Punch demolishes Gligar, though, as it is probably the safest switch in there is. If we test anything, let it be Medicham. I wouldn't mind if we left Medicham in NU, to be honest.

I do not support the splitting of NU at all. NU barely has any support at all, and this would pretty much destroy the player base that we already have, bar the hardcore fans! NU is pretty good at the moment, and we should keep it as is.

I agree that Medicham is broken, and I think that Ursaring is too. Quick Feet SD set can rip entire teams apart in my expierence. It is worth noting that Ring also has good 90/75/75 defences, so you can't just revenge kill it with any random priority move.

I do not support the splitting of NU at all. NU barely has any support at all, and this would pretty much destroy the player base that we already have, bar the hardcore fans! NU is pretty good at the moment, and we should keep it as is.
NU will sort of be split anyway though. When we get an NU ladder on the NU server, the OUs on NU will be calculated, which will leave a few hundred Pokemon in a tier below NU, and, no doubt, some people will try out that tier too.

The only way that NU wouldn't be split is if we didn't create a proper NU list.

But, nonetheless, it doesn't seem like any of this will be happening in the near future. Not at least until UU has gone on for a bit longer.

I agree that Medicham is broken, and I think that Ursaring is too. Quick Feet SD set can rip entire teams apart in my expierence. It is worth noting that Ring also has good 90/75/75 defences, so you can't just revenge kill it with any random priority move.
I've noticed the lack of useful resistances and the damage from Toxic Orb reduces its opportunities to set up and stay around. It's defenses are decent, but not when you are losing that much health incrementally. On top of that, pokemon like Hitmonchan with Mach Punch, Linoone with Extremespeed, Shiftry with Sucker Punch, etc, can usually finish it off or get it to the point of dying from poison.

Stop talking about a NU tier list. There are many more viable pokemon in NU than you can possible imagine, especially since no one ever see you guys log minutes on the cap server, and it should be that way. Why overcentralize a metagame when we can keep it open and free? People can use whatever the hell they want and they'll find a use for it. I've actually lost before because i was walled by a dustox.

...since when has a pokemon been banned for a Choice set? Let me think... Staraptor? No, that was a combo of the choice set and the bulky set. Um, no, there never has been a ban due to a Choice Set. Why? Prediction is never 100%, and you need it to be for a broken choice set. That, and if you use, say, Fire Punch on my Masquerain, what stops me from switching in Charizard and Belly Drumming or SDing?

Nope, I don't think there are any truly broken pokemon out there right now.

I wonder, what do people think of a lead I've been using when I play NU (it's so hard with my timezone).

Arbok @Choice Band
Intimidate | Jolly | 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
~ Switcheroo
~ Crunch
~ Poison Jab
~ Earthquake

It's quite effective really. I guess people know what is does just by looking at it, so I won't bother explaining it.

Man NU needs more exposure, it's such a fun tier.

Stop talking about a NU tier list. There are many more viable pokemon in NU than you can possible imagine, especially since no one ever see you guys log minutes on the cap server, and it should be that way. Why overcentralize a metagame when we can keep it open and free? People can use whatever the hell they want and they'll find a use for it. I've actually lost before because i was walled by a dustox.
Constructing a list of the OUs on NU should make absolutely no difference whatsoever to the NU metagame.

I think Ampharos and Raichu are good enough for the UU tier IMO, they are even viable in the OU environment, for wall-breaking, they beat the SkarmBliss combo.

...since when has a pokemon been banned for a Choice set? Let me think... Staraptor? No, that was a combo of the choice set and the bulky set. Um, no, there never has been a ban due to a Choice Set. Why? Prediction is never 100%, and you need it to be for a broken choice set. That, and if you use, say, Fire Punch on my Masquerain, what stops me from switching in Charizard and Belly Drumming or SDing?

Nope, I don't think there are any truly broken pokemon out there right now.
Staraptor was banned mostly for it's Choice Band set because it had zero switch-ins because prediction isn't an argument. However, that argument is almost completely irrelevant to Medicham.

Choice Scarf Medicham isn't comparable to other Pokemon because no other Pokemon in NU (or even UU) boasts such a ridiculous attack stat with fairly decent Speed. On top of this, Medicham as a Choice Scarf Pokemon is a sweeper. It doesn't rely on prediction like a Choice Band Pokemon would to be broken, since it still sweeps a significant portion of the metagame with little effort. Also, the prediction argument is a silly one if you are still thinking about clinging to it. You can't bring up prediction when you have the same chance of predicting incorrectly as you do predicting correctly.

However, I don't even think any of this matters; the best Medicham set is the Life Orb priority set. This set is absolutely the best revenge killer and sweeper ever. Fake Out + Bullet Punch OHKOes so much shit, while bulky Pokemon are easily fucked up by Zen Headbutt or Brick Break (or ThunderPunch, etc).

I also think Magmortar is broken. Choice Scarf Magmortar is insanely fast, even for a Choiced Pokemon, and it has decent special bulk to give it an easy time switching in. There is almost no Pokemon who can take Fire Blast off of 125 SpA, and the Pokemon that can are easily KOed by Focus Blast, HP Grass, or Thunderbolt.

If I had to "nominate" any Pokemon for NUBL (or whatever it is), it would be those two.

The sheer power of the Choice Band set on Staraptor allowed other sets such as the Sub-Roost set to be unbelievably powerful. The same is true of Gallade. Even if the choice set wasn't the only set that made it dangerous - the other sets were made powerful of how wary you had to be of the choice sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)