Project NU Matchmaking Reinvigorated (Again) [Week 11 - Swords Dance Shiftry] VOTING

Status
Not open for further replies.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
With 4 votes, the ultimate johner has johned his way to victory (yet again). Congratulations metaphysical.

This week, I am going to go with a mon I have trouble building with, but I love overall and that is...

Mawile @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance / Stealth Rock

Have fun guys and see you all Friday! :)

reserving poliwrath, it's midnight, hopefully get it up tomorrow.
its midnight when im doing this, pardon me for not using my fancy bold n shit

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Vacuum Wave

This is a good partner for mawile as it checks fire types pretty well, works well with mawile as it gets the ice types removed by maw. The priority in both mons is always nice on a team. this can also take out other steel types who would otherwise switch in into mawile and like, completely wall it. Poli is also appreciative of mawile's ability to check flying types. Poli also provides a /decent/ switch in to willo

Last edited:
Reactions: nv

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead

Jynx @ Focus Sash | Dry Skin
Timid Nature | 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Ice Beam / Focus Blast / Psyshock / Lovely Kiss

Focus Blast Jynx is an amazing partner to Mawile since it can easily lure in common steel type answers to Mawile like Ferroseed, Klinklang, and Probopass. Jynx is also able to heavily damage Fire-types like Magmortar and Pyroar which are other common switch ins for Jynx and Mawile. Mawile is able to put huge dents into bulky teams due to its raw power, allowing Jynx to clean up late game.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Jynx @ Focus Blast | Dry Skin
Timid Nature | 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Ice Beam / Focus Blast / Psyshock / Lovely Kiss

Focus Blast Jynx is an amazing partner to Mawile since it can easily lure in common steel type answers to Mawile like Ferroseed, Klinklang, and Probopass. Jynx is also able to heavily damage Fire-types like Magmortar and Pyroar which are other common switch ins for Jynx and Mawile. Mawile is able to put huge dents into bulky teams due to its raw power, allowing Jynx to clean up late game.
Da fuq?

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
K its up now! c:

Magmortar @ Expert Belt
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Will-O-Wisp / Hidden Power [Grass]

Overall, I think offensive, wallbreaker Magmortar is a pretty good compliment to this Mawile's set. Magmortar gets a lot of coverage moves such as Thunderbolt and Focus Blast and it can amplify their power due to Expert Belt. Magmortar can take out Steel and Fire types and also weaken defensive walls such as Weezing and Hariyama through Will-O-Wisp. In return, Mawile can weaken specially defensive Pokemon such as Grumpig and Audino for Magmortar and also set up rocks to increase its OHKO potential. Also Vital Spirit allows Magmortar to switch into Sleep Powder and Hypnosis as many Pokes in this tier have access to it.

Last edited:

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Reserving Cacturne.

Wild Frontier (Cacturne) @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Giga Drain
- Sucker Punch
- Spikes

Mixed Spikes Cacturne is an excellent partner to SD Mawile because it can lure in and KO Weezing with a STAB Dark Pulse, while also eliminating Seismitoad and Quagsire with Giga Drain. Cacturne also provides valuable entry hazard support with Spikes, wearing down the opposing team to help Mawile net more KO's. In return, Mawile easily sets up on Fairies while also taking on slower fighting types pretty easily.

Last edited:
Reactions: nv
reserving quagsire

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Scald
- Curse

Quagsire is a really good pardner for Offensive Mawile beacuse it poops on the steels that wall it, as well as being able to check the Fire types that threaten it (cough cough jynx). EQ kills the fire and steels, while Scald burns the steels and does good damage against the fires. recover lets Quag stay alive throughout the match to help mawile, and Curse lets 'Sire set up on the physical walls that threaten Mawile.

Last edited:

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Mismagius @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Memento

NP Mismagius makes a good wallbreaking core with Mawile being able to weaken faster mons if needed with its own powerful attacks, while also being able to switch into fighting and ground types attacks that could make quick work of Mawile. Adding Memento into the mix means you lure in bulky mons like Audino that think you can't do anything back to them and dark types like Shiftry and Skuntank that Mawile can potentially set up an ez Swords Dance with.

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet / Colbur Berry | Magic Bounce
Timid Nature | 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Psychic | Heat Wave | Roost | Thunder Wave / U-Turn

i personally think sd mawile is ass rn and would probably like to see some more viable mons in this, but beggars cant be choosers. Defensive xatu takes care of pretty much everything that mawile gives a free switch into like ferroseed and klinklang. for the purpose of pairing with mawile, rocky helmet is better, although if I was going to use this on a team i'd probably run colbur berry.

Lanturn @ Expert Belt/Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 140 HP / 252 SpA / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Volt Switch

Here's something I've used in the past that works fairly well. Lanturn surprises Ferroseed and Torterra which give Mawile a hard time. The speed is for jolly Rhydon and the rest is just dumped into hp.

edit: forgot to mention Lanturn also deals with steel and fire types that pressure Mawile

Wee-Bling @ Choice Specs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Bold Nature
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunderbolt / *

lol specs weezing the god
Fire blast for those dang klinklangs, ferros, and other steels, also does big damage to vileplume
252 SpA Choice Specs Weezing Fire Blast vs. 136 HP / 0 SpD Klinklang: 308-364 (104.4 - 123.3%)
sludge bomb because stab
HIDDEN POWER GRASS FOR RHYDON AND QUAGSIRE LOLOLOLOLOLOL
* Tbolt for filler/fastish bulky waters with scald! you can also run Flamethrower for accuracy or Dbond, but slow Dbond is pretty easy to avoid, although forcing switches can be nice. Memento is also an option to set up mawile to sweep

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic / Psyshock
- U-turn
- Healing Wish
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Due to the lack of speed of mawile, scarf mesprit can be a really good partner. With HP Fire, he can defeat Ferroseed/weaken Klinklang. With U-turn, he can help Mawile to set up against a folder. Healing Wish is here to support mawile and give him a second life. Mesprit can weaken the Fire type with Psychic or Psyshock (Psyshock is principally for AV Magmortar) and let them in the KO rang of Sucker Punch. With U-turn+Mawile, Mesprit doesn't really fear Skuntank (If well played ofc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)