Tournament NU Seeded Tour [Won by #1 Realistic Waters]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple of questions regarding the tour. (And maybe a couple of improvements for the next one!)

Right now, we are looking at a tour where lower ranked people fight against each other first, and then they go to the next round where there is a high ranked player, and in which theoretically the higher ranked moves on and the lower ranked drops. But what is the point of this? This kind of scenario would be easier to get with just making a tour for the "good players" only. And when speaking about that, when this tour was announced, I thought it would be a tour where there would either be 4 small tourneys where all the people ranked the same get to fight against their own skill level, a scenario painted by the thread. But instead, we get 1 round of our own skill level before moving on to be basically fodder, in which after the real tour starts. Do you see where Im getting here?

This only serves the high ranked guys, not lower ones. A better way to do this wouldve been the aforementioned 4 small tours where the top guys of each move on to fight each other, or a so called "eesti-cup" where players get battles continuously and are finally ranked into a position that represents their skill level. People will get games, and the tourney gets better and better as it goes on, as the good players will fight good players, and worse players will fight worse players.

And with the ranking system we have got going on in this tour, this would work fantastically because the ending result ideally is the same as the ranking given.

This tour at hand hardly feels like we are getting the same level competition we were promised.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
three way tie where in challonge
I assume he meant he was doing it in challonge to avoid this, but correct me if I'm wrong rozes
Couple of questions regarding the tour. (And maybe a couple of improvements for the next one!)

Right now, we are looking at a tour where lower ranked people fight against each other first, and then they go to the next round where there is a high ranked player, and in which theoretically the higher ranked moves on and the lower ranked drops. But what is the point of this? This kind of scenario would be easier to get with just making a tour for the "good players" only. And when speaking about that, when this tour was announced, I thought it would be a tour where there would either be 4 small tourneys where all the people ranked the same get to fight against their own skill level, a scenario painted by the thread. But instead, we get 1 round of our own skill level before moving on to be basically fodder, in which after the real tour starts. Do you see where Im getting here?

This only serves the high ranked guys, not lower ones. A better way to do this wouldve been the aforementioned 4 small tours where the top guys of each move on to fight each other, or a so called "eesti-cup" where players get battles continuously and are finally ranked into a position that represents their skill level. People will get games, and the tourney gets better and better as it goes on, as the good players will fight good players, and worse players will fight worse players.

And with the ranking system we have got going on in this tour, this would work fantastically because the ending result ideally is the same as the ranking given.

This tour at hand hardly feels like we are getting the same level competition we were promised.
I'm not quite sure where you feel like you were mislead, this is a direct quote from the OP.
Also if you are a newer player don't feel like you shouldn't sign up, as we will rank you with other players of your calibur and you will have a chance to make a name for yourself as you will be playing some of the better and well known NU players right from the start.
The reason we are having rankings is because there has been a lack of tours where well known players have to fight each other (in non team tour environments) and by pairing people up based on ranking we can fix this and have a great tour to judge some high quality matches off of!
This tour is designed to have the highest quality games in later rounds (something that you can objectively say doesnt happen in many tours right now, I personally made finals the "Your Choice" tournament by getting activity wins and stealing a team from someone I thought was good for quarterfinals and semifinals) with people of the greatest skill being matched against each other. In your tour we'd still have all the high quality games we'd expect, theyd just be in a singular bracket at the beginning of the tour. The games thereafter when the brackets merged would likely just be number 1 seed vs number 48 seed or whatever, which is essentially the quality of game we're getting here in round 2. The only difference would be that you're giving more opportunities to the lower ranked players, which in reality they should have to earn for being lower ranked (people of higher ranks have qualified for them based on past tour results, ladder achievements, etc.)

Regardless of whether you agree with the format or not, if you don't expect to be able to stand a chance against someone better than you then why would you enter a tournament to begin with? I'm not sure If I'm just reading your post wrong, but it kinda sounds like you're upset you're not being handed early round wins to delay having to play someone 'better' than you?

sorry If this doesn't make sense, I had to re-write it about 50 times cuz I wasn't sure what I wanted to say

I assume he meant he was doing it in challonge to avoid this, but correct me if I'm wrong rozes

I'm not quite sure where you feel like you were mislead, this is a direct quote from the OP.

This tour is designed to have the highest quality games in later rounds (something that you can objectively say doesnt happen in many tours right now, I personally made finals the "Your Choice" tournament by getting activity wins and stealing a team from someone I thought was good for quarterfinals and semifinals) with people of the greatest skill being matched against each other. In your tour we'd still have all the high quality games we'd expect, theyd just be in a singular bracket at the beginning of the tour. The games thereafter when the brackets merged would likely just be number 1 seed vs number 48 seed or whatever, which is essentially the quality of game we're getting here in round 2. The only difference would be that you're giving more opportunities to the lower ranked players, which in reality they should have to earn for being lower ranked (people of higher ranks have qualified for them based on past tour results, ladder achievements, etc.)

Regardless of whether you agree with the format or not, if you don't expect to be able to stand a chance against someone better than you then why would you enter a tournament to begin with? I'm not sure If I'm just reading your post wrong, but it kinda sounds like you're upset you're not being handed early round wins to delay having to play someone 'better' than you?

sorry If this doesn't make sense, I had to re-write it about 50 times cuz I wasn't sure what I wanted to say
I will clarify this straight away: I am confident in my own abilities and looking to improve.

My point is: A proper use for the whole seeded-thing. This tourney is no different from a regular tourney. And I fail to see how regular tourneys wouldnt have good battles in the end, as the guys in any given tours finals and semi-finals and etc are not pushovers at all. The way tourneys work is that sooner or later a good player vs a good player will happen, and one of them is sadly going to drop. A better player will move on (hax are a completely different topic), and in the end there are only the best players. Sound familiar? Consistent players will prevail in other tourneys too, and we happen to have some big tourneys going on pretty much all the time, and in where we have seen high level action in the end.

And no need to deny it, as it has already been said several times: If you only want good players to play all the time against each other, then make a tour only for them, the idea here was to get that going on. It is disrespectful in my mind to see us as a fodder, as if we are not expected to do well at all! I hope this can be improved upon.

Anyways, I will rest my case. This is a matter that has received negativity already, but I am looking forward to get a thorough discussion about this at a later, more suitable time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)