Project NU Teambuilding Competition [Voting Stage]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
former Project host Shadowtags wins this week, congrats!
qsns: 2 Votes
Shadowtags: 5 Votes
PrinceLucian: 0 Votes

this week we are going to tackle a Pokemon i've been struggling to find a place on my team for, I hope you guys have some better luck! it is.. Life Orb Magmortar!

this thing hits like a truck and has very few switchins, because it has such an amazing movepool. Thunderbolt, Focus Blast, Earthquake, HP Grass, Flame Charge, and a plethora of other cool coverage moves make this thing soooo good!
You may now build your teams. Building Stage will go from now to Fridaynight!

PrinceLucian

Banned deucer.

Magmortar (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Earthquake

Floatzel (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Baton Pass

Weezing (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Pain Split

Lanturn (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 104 HP / 232 Def / 172 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell

Shiftry (M) @ Dread Plate
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Knock Off
- Leaf Storm
- Sucker Punch
- Defog

Steelix (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 128 Atk / 128 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Hi, theme of this week is really cool, Life orb magmortar definitely isnt a common set that youre gonna see on ladder and in general, just because Assault Vest Mag is more splashable and easier to fit on teams,checks more stuff and has a decent longevity, while Life Orb set packed with base 125 sp.atk and magmortars amazing coverage turns it into a monster that barely has any safe switchins. I made few version of team but decided to work on this one,and after finalizing it here we are.

Building Phase:
  • Magmortar is my wallbreaker,it has very few to zero safe switchins so its mostly used earlier in game to punch holes in opposing teams,coverage is pretty standard and I decided to go with Focus blast over HP Grass as they hit basically the same things except Focus blast hits a lot stronger and deals with regirock/aurorus better, EQ is here for Lanturn and it has pretty decent chance of 2 KO-ing without rocks,its also a nice sleep and wisp absorber.
  • With magmortar being able to break through so many slow and fat stuff,I needed a pokemon that benefits from its wallbreaking power. Floatzel is my late game cleaner, pokemon that performs well vs offense with its amazing speed stat ,checks a lot offensive stuff like Archeops that bother magmortar earlier in game and it helps the team with momentum since baton pass is a great move that can safely bring magmortar or any teammate in.
  • I had few variations of this team, so from now on I wont go in particular order, because I changed few pokemon as the team was finalized.
  • Third pokemon actually wasnt Shiftry, I had few more choices but lets start with defensive core first, Weezing is my edge-quake check/fighting/grass/malamar check and Taunt user that does excellent vs passive teams, moveset is standard and im running Pain split over moves like Tspikes/fthrower because I prefer its longevity.
  • Lanturn is my special wall,it switches into anything that magmortar/floatzel cant kill right away,its my pivot and can safely bring my offensive core in, EV spread is bulkier than standard one and moveset is pretty standard,Twave helps me to stop some annoying setup sweepers and Heal bell is a cool support move.
  • Steelix is standard stealth rock user,flying/normal check and so on..Not too much to say about it.
  • Last part of team was tricky,even with Floatzel team wasnt that fast,I didnt have Defog support, and I wanted to deal with some water types offensively,and this is where Shiftry comes in. It gives my team strong priority user, knock off can help wear down my opponents team and while my team isnt that weak to rocks,defog is still a move that I consider neccessary on balanced/bulky offensive teams.

Last edited:

Abejas

Yo where Ken at
is a Top Tiering Contributor

Magmortar @ Life Orb
Ability: Vital Spirit
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Roost

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 176 Def / 252 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Whirlpool
- Scald
- Heal Bell

Xatu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot
- Calm Mind
- Roost

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Atk / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Naughty Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Defog

Here is a pretty fun team volt-turn team I made with magmortar, which is pretty standard. The team started with life orb magmortar which is a huge threat to balanced teams being able to 2hko most of the tier. Next I wanted some nice pivots that would work well with magmortar so Scyther came into mind, being able to u-turn on steelix and giving magmortar a huge hit off. After that I saw that this core was pretty weak to lanturn, so what better counter to lanturn than lanturn, whirlpool lets lanturn trap other lanturns and beat them 1v1. Lanturn also provides another great pivot to magmortar, being able to volt switch out on grass types like vileplume and give magmortar another huge hit off. The team was pretty weak to hazards and rock types so I decided to add grass knot xatu, providing magic bounce and being able to get a lot of damage on bulky rock types like rhydon. Then I saw that the team was pretty weak to archeops and normal types so I added piloswine being able to check both and also providing rocks. Finally I chose a defogger since the team was still pretty weak to hazards and my only real hazard control was xatu which is not the best. So I added shiftry that provided this and also provided a nice knock off to lure in hariyama's and make magmortar more scary.

Last edited:

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Team 1, although I would probably run Explosion over Defog on Shiftry as you've already got phys def Xatu to punish T-spikes.

Shadestep

volition immanent
PrinceLucian takes this week with 4 votes, congrats! you're doing great :)
This week's Pokemon is another fire-type lol, yet a firetype that has gained a lot of popularity and usage recently, due to it being able to check Rotom, and hard-wall Manectric! I'm talking about.. Camerupt

You may use any set you like.. SDef, Choice Specs, Lure Camerupt, you name it.

The submission stage will run from now through Fridaynight!

PrinceLucian

Banned deucer.

Camerupt @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Gourgeist-Super @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Seed Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis

Lapras @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Freeze-Dry
- Frost Breath

Musharna @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell

Archeops
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Defog
- Roost
- Earth Power

Sliggoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 72 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Curse
- Outrage

-This is one odd looking team, but I thought it looks pretty cool and solid so I decided to share it. Its my first time building around Camerupt so I decided to go in balance direction since its one of my favourite archetypes, it also has few other pokemon I havent really used in NU so its gonna be fun to use on ladder. Also this team is made before drops so I wont change it regardless of what drops in NU lel, even tho i dont think drops will change the meta.

• Team started with Camerupt, I decided to build around defensive one since its a balanced team, it helps me hard check rotom which is usually very annoying vs balance and cripples a lot of stuff if you dont have fire type like magmortar/pyroar which it can just volt switch into something else, but Camerupt fully stops it and even sets up free rocks, its also my electric block and stops momentum while countering manectric.Moveset is pretty standard and I decided to go for Toxic over wisp,since lava plume has high change of burn anyway and toxic helps me cripple some special-setup sweepers better.
  • After Camerupt,I added gourgeist pretty fast as they pair well,gourgeist provides ground resist for team and its a great physical wall with huge bulk that just stops a lot of stuff,moveset is standard and leech seed is nice balance support, Foul play is also a decent option to have better matchup vs things like Lum pinsir or klinklang,but gourgeist can handle a lot of them anyway.
  • Lapras, my wallbreaker, ice resist and water immunity for team, just a gorgeous looking pokemon that I havent used a while,a lot of teams have no freeze dry resist on teams so it easily breaks through them,it also has a good bulk which allows it to check and switchin in a lot of stuff for team.
  • At this point i wanted a speed control for team, I wanted a way to deal with scyther and some flying types, I needed hazard control, way to deal with skuntank and bulky archeops looked like perfect fit, with its base 110 speed its one of the fastest pokemon in meta and has a good matchup vs best spiker in tier(garbodor),it also lures steelixes with earth power and nearly 2 koes even with jolly nature which i decided to run to maintain more bulk,acrobatics is really good stab so even without atk investment it will hit hard.
  • Last 2 slots were hard to find, for 5th pokemon I needed psychic check ,cleric,another physical tank since pokemon like archeops/tauros looked annoying for the team and toxic would make gourgeist matchup vs setup sweepers worse, I also needed a win condition and Musharna was pretty much best fit as it provides everything needed here and walls a lot of things, musharna is usually stopped with toxic but heal bell fixes that and gives a team another good support move.
  • Sliggo provides me check to special sweepers like Pyroar,lilligant,samurott,it gives me another win condition and its a really annoying thing to face since it literally doesnt die,its a momentum sack but my team is pretty defensive so i dont mind, Heal bell support from musharna can easily heal it from sleep after it rests.
Overall: Team doesnt have any glaring weakness, and even tho I have 2 pokemon with weather based recovery, sliggo+gourgeist+lapras do well vs rain, Aurorus is checked by lapras and sun teams are handled well by gourgeist/sliggo, only abomasnow can be annoying to team but its rare on ladder.

Rapture

I got so much time today

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Grass Knot

Camerupt @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Tauros @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Naive Nature
- Rock Climb
- Work Up
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Samurott @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Aqua Jet
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Primeape @ Choice Band
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

I made a pretty similar team back in sawk meta for Shaneghoul to use in NUL playoffs, since the mon this week is camerupt I figured I would update it for the current meta. The first part of the team is a defensive core of Xatu - sp.def Camerupt - Ferroseed that does a pretty good job of checking most of the meta while also allowing me plenty of chances to set up hazards for my offensive mons. Next up is work up Tauros since I wanted a really solid way to pressure stall builds and provided it hits, Tauros does that pretty well. Mixed Samurott and Banded Primeape are good ways to pressure a team offensively for Tauros to clean up late game. pretty standard sets on both of them aside from the somewhat uncommon Hp electric which is neat for catching defoggers like Mantine and pelipper off guard.

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader

Camerupt @ Choice Specs
EVs: 124 HP / 252 SpA / 132 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Lava Plume

Steelix @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 244 HP / 136 Atk / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Psyshock
- Roost

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 92 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Vacuum Wave
- Earthquake / Ice Beam

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick

Tauros @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Climb
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Work Up

Decided to build a fun team with Specs Camel and it turned out pretty nicely, with some fun moves and sets. Lum Berry Lix + Pivot Xatu is a neat defensive core that covers hazards, hazard removal, Pivot, Mega-Audino/Musharna check, and Rotom lure in two slots. Specs Camel is the star of the team, with enough speed creep to jump Defensive Omastar, and HP Electric to bop Mantine/Poliwrath etc. I went with Scarf Rotom next for some speed, a secondary normal/fighting/ground check, and a way to bring in Camel safely. Work Up Tauros acts as a wincon, giving me some more speed, and helps with breaking down a lot of Camerupt's checks. Finally, I went with Poliwrath as my water-type/shell smasher check. Wrath gives me some priority and works extremely well with Tauros and Camerupt. Earthquake is a really neat option over Ice Beam, since you have a really big chance to 2HKO Pivot Lanturn after rocks, and you can easily 2HKO other variants.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)