Offense With Some Strong Defense

Team at a Glance

[pimg]469[/pimg][pimg]671[/pimg][pimg]80[/pimg][pimg]650[/pimg][pimg]639[/pimg][pimg]233[/pimg]

Introduction
After a long time lurking here, and a lot of Showdown battles, I finally decided to post my team here and see how you guys respond. Although this team's ladder rating isn't great (1743), the account I used it on I experimented first with a lot of unsuccessful teams until finally settling on one set team.

The goal of this team is to wear down the opponent with subs from things like Tornadus or Chandelure, enough to make the opponent vulnerable to one of my Pokemon enough so that one of my team members can sweep. The great thing about this team is that all of the Pokemon have the potential to sweep, despite some of my Pokemon's bulk. I have a defensive core on Rhypherior, Slowbro, and Porygon2 where Rhypherior and Slowbro can check a lot of the metagame, while Porygon2 can take hits from the rest. There are some holes, but for the most part this core has proved to be really reliable. On the other hand, I have an offensive core in Chandelure, Tornadus, and Mienshao. Tornadus and Chandelure finds lots of opportunities to switch in, with the obvious grass weakness to 2 of my walls. Once they get in, chances are my opponent switches out which leads to a nice sub up, and usually ends with at least one of my opponent's Pokemon fainting. Mienshao is insurance against a lot of other scafers, and is great at revenge killing pretty much anything. Anyway, let's get to the team!
A Detailed Look
[pimg]469[/pimg]
Rhypherior@Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248HP 16Atk 244SpD
Adamant Nature
Stealth Rock
Rock Blast
Earthquake
Dragon Tail
This guy is a GREAT lead. He can destroy Froslass on the first turn with some luck, his presence is enough to make Crobat U-Turn out in fear of rocks being thrown at him, and Ninjask, well I don't even have to explain that do I? Yeah Rhypherior almost always finds time to get rocks up, even when I do have to switch him out on turn 1. The downside is that he's a predictable lead and can be countered easily, but his ability to counter so many sash leads just makes him too valuable not to lead with, especially when the opponent has the Pokemon I mentioned above on his team. Rhypherior checks a lot that Tornadus doesn't like. He takes stone edges from scarfers, Flare Blitzes/V-Create from everything, and Thunderbolt/Wild charges from all of your common UU electric attack users (Hi Arcanine & Zapdos) is very difficult to OHKO. Dragon Tail is a great phazing/predicting move, when it's obvious my opponent isn't staying in. Rock Blast ruins subs, and earthquake is earthquake. All in all, Rhypherior's ability to flat-out tank and check so many strong physical Pokemon in UU, while putting up rocks earns him a spot on my team.
[pimg]671[/pimg]
Tornadus@ Flying Gem
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252Atk 252Spe 4SpD
Jolly Nature
Acrobatics
Substitute
Bulk Up
Superpower
UU really is the place for him, or if he belongs in OU. Most of the time, I end up deciding that I better enjoy Tornadus while he lasts. Anyway, I'll usually send Tornadus in on a grass type threatening Slowbro or Rhypherior. From there, the opponent almost always switches out, and I get up a sub. Not much can be switched in to Tornadus. Bronzong is probably the only Pokemon I can think off the top of my head that can survive Tornadus under a sub. Prankster sub also is great for scouting, and maybe score a stone miss. Bulk up is there to punish my opponent for giving Tornadus more free turns to setup. Acrobatics is the main attack, and with flying gem almost everything is either OHKO'd, or 2HKO'd by a combination of acrobatics and superpower. Substitute over Taunt so Tornadus can take a hit. To sum it all up, Tornadus finds lots of time to get under a sub, and boy does he make use of that time.
[pimg]80[/pimg]
Slowbro@Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248HP 244Def 16SpAtk
Bold Nature
Scald
Calm Mind
Psyshock
Recover
Slowbro is another Pokemon that is used a lot in UU and for good reason. His ability to tank bulky waters, and fighting type attacks earned him a spot on this team. Yeah Chandelure can too, but switching him in can be risky if my opponent predicts stone edge. Of course, if it's Heracross Slowbro doesn't enjoy Megahorn. But the beauty of him is that he can just be switched out again because of Regenerator, and Rhypherior/Chandelure can deal with Heracross being locked into Megahorn. I use Calm Mind so Slowbro doesn't lose many stall wars, and because those boosts just come in handy during the course of a battle. Using Slowbro is pretty self explanatory IMO, We all know he's a great Pokemon and can fit on nearly every team because he excels at what he does. His Ability to wall Ice, water, and ground hits makes him so useful, and just that physical bulk makes Rhypherior expendable, since he goes down first a lot when I don't see any electric types on on the other team.
[pimg]650[/pimg]
Mienshao@Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252Atk 252 Spe 4SpD
Jolly Nature
Stone Edge
Hi Jump Kick
Aerial Ace
U-Turn
Mienshao is probably the best scarfer in UU. So, why not use him? Hi Jump Kick is lethal when my opponent has no resistances, and when he does U-Turn gets me some useful momentum. Stone Edge is for stuff like Chandelure, and flying types like Togekiss, etc. Aerial Ace for Heracross. I don't think I really need to explain that much about Mienshao, since by now Mienshao has made it clear how much of a force it is in UU
[pimg]639[/pimg]
Chandelure@Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 68HP 252SpAtk 4SpD 184 Spe
Modest Nature
Fire Blast
Shadow Ball
Substitute
Pain Split
He catches so many teams off guard it's incredible. I just switch Chandelure into something that will be forced to switch, which in most matches will happen because of Chandelure's typing, and put up a sub. Suddenly, I'm free to fire off life orb Shadow Balls and Fire Blasts. The downside to substitute Chandelure is his low lifespan, which can sometimes be extended by pain split. However, Sub+SR+LO is quite a lot of damage to take each time I intend to use him. Despite this, Chandelure under a sub let's him take on potential threats to my team like Umbreon, Slowbro, and Bronzong so much easier. Pain Split et's Chandelure do some damage to Snorlax before it dies to CB Pursuit. All in all, substitute Chandelure's surprise aspect let's him take out more than enough to set my team up for victory
[pimg]233[/pimg]
Porygon2@Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252HP 4Def 252SpAtk
Modest Nature
Tri Attack
Ice Beam
Discharge
Recover
In basketball, some players are called glue guys because they do the dirty work and hold the team together, so to speak. Porygon2 would be my team's glue guy, because it holds the team together. When one of my Pokemon go down, chances are Porygon2 can fill it's role. It's enough of a wall to take the Scalds/TBolts/Icebeams/etc aimed at my sweepers once Slowbro/Rhypherior goes down. It also can deal good damage while recovering a ridiculous amount. It rarely is OHKO'd and those fighting types Porygon2 draws in can usually be countered by either Chandelure or Slowbro. Tri Attack, Ice Beam, and Discharge so Porygon2 can do a lot of damage and not just be setup fodder. Recover is self explanatory. Discharge also has nice Parahax. Porygon2 is usually my back-up wall, and rarely fails at that job.
Conclusion
My team really is what the title says. All my Pokemon have the capabilities to deal damage to even its counters on the switch. My sweepers can capitalize on momentum gained from Mienshao's U-Turns, and can come in on quite a few of my walls' counters. This team just has some synergy, and despite some problems(Bronzong in particular), usually functions very well. Thanks for reading and please rate.

ss234

bop.
Hi there! This looks like a pretty solid team, with rather few weaknesses so props for that.

There really aren't any major holes in your team, however there are some things I think could be better. Firstly, I think that a Choice Specs set on Slowbro would fit your team better, or a Thunder Wave set. Specs Slowbro hits like a truck, getting you many more 1HKO's and 2HKO's than before at the cost of leftovers and being able to switch moves. Twave. It also allows you to cripple Snorlax to the point where it can't handle Chandelure later on if it is band. on the other hand, allows you to cripple things such as Zapdos and Raikou that commonly like to switch into Slowbro, as well as slow down Shaymin and roserade for the time being, allowing you to go to chandelure to take the seed flare / leaf storm and hit back with fire blast. I just don't think that physically defensive calm mind is the way to go, since it doesn't help at all against things that commonly switch in on slowbro like roserade and shaymin, as they still do a ridiculous amount to you even at +1.(shaymin and roserade still have a good chance to 1HKO at +1, and Zapdos also 2HKO's while you can't do enough damage back to 1HKO).

I also recommend that you run snorlax over porygon2. P2 just isn't very good in this metagame, since it doesn't hit hard enough and also doesn't counter chandelure reliably due to some people running flame body on chandy to get round p2. Therefore, snorlax is much better than p2 in this metagame. CB lax also helps you to eliminate chandelure for good with pursuit, and stops heracross from coming in for free thanks to the power of CB return(well hera can't come in for free on p2, but tri attack doesn't 1HKO like CB return).

Here are the sets and changes:
P2--->Snorlax

Snorlax @ Choice Band
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 Def / 200 SDef / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Return
- Earthquake

Slowbro @ Choice Specs
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SAtk / 248 HP / 8 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Surf
- Trick

OR

Calm Mind--->Thunder Wave on Slowbro

GL and I hope I helped.

Nice team! Nothing I can really think to say except I second the movement of Slowbro to a Specs variant using the set SS recommended. Calm Mind Slowbro is not very reliable in my opinion, and has pretty limited options in regards to sweeping. Slowbro's already good SAtk stat reaches a very nice amount with Specs and can do a lot of damage and take a lot as well.

So after a day of testing I've come to some conclusions.

Snorlax is amazing, his power really comes in handy even when there aren't ghosts on the team. The best part about him for me is being able to switch him in to force a switch and an easy KO by just predicting a switch to a steel/rock type to take the return, and use earthquake instead.

Slowbro on the other hand hasn't been working that well. Trick ends up hurting him more than my opponent half the time, since after a trick he lacks power. Slowbro also ends up allowing too many of my opponents to setup after I lock myself into something. Since Slowbro is one of the Pokemon I switch in a lot on this team, I feel like i need that bulk more than some extra power. I'll try out the twave set however, and see how it goes.

Decided to test out the team for myself, and CM Slowbro actually isn't bad. Setting up is not very hard to do, and its STAB attacks give it decent enough coverage. I would say keep it if TWave Slowbro doesn't work for you.

I'll probably stick with Twave, Slowbro usually gets poisoned half the time I use him since no one on my team can take a toxic, and it's too risky to switch mienshao in even if I think they will use toxic.

Twave Slowbro has worked well, and after making an alt to actually track how far my team gets me, I'm currently at 1750 after about 30 games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)