Other Metagames Offensive (kinda) Volt Turn with OTR Farigiraf, the SV ZU murder machine (giraffe)

Introduction:
It's the beginning of a new month, so obviously some Pokemon will drop into the lower tiers. ZU received several drops, including some very offensive pokemon like the three birds of the apocalypse (Braviary, Dodrio, and Oricorio). I will have some stuff on them later. But for now, they aren't important, becuase there's an even bigger sleeper threat in the metagame, Farigraf. Anyway, I've rambled for long enough, here's the team.

Proof of Peak:
Screenshot (255).png

(Ladder is incredibly dead so getting points is really hard when the average opponent rating is 1200)

the goat (giraffe) (Farigiraf) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper / Armor Tail
Tera Type: Fire / Fighting / Ground
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 1 Spe
- Nasty Plot
- Trick Room
- Tera Blast
- Psychic

First we gotta talk about the elephant (giraffe) in the room, Farigiraf. Many teams expect it to be a defensive wish passer, which just gives you opportunities to setup on things. Trick Room enables Farigiraf to run a ton of bulk, allowing to sponge (giraffe) hits it really shouldn't. With max special attack investment and +2, Farigiraf hits like a truck (giraffe). Only bulky eviolite users, Shaymin, Muk, and whatever resists Psychic + your Tera type can dodge the oneshot, and this depends heavily upon your Tera type. Fire enables you to cleanly 1hko Shaymin and gives some defensive utility, at the cost of being walled by Houndoom. Fighting enables you to oneshot Piloswine and Tera Dark Muk (because who is stupid enough to leave their Muk as a poison type against a farigiraf), lets you resist Dark, but gets you completely walled by Spiritomb and Sableye. Ground is a middle ground, not really giving the ability to oneshot anything but not being completely walled by anything, though Orthworm does give it some trouble. Other Teras are (probably) not recommended becuase they can't break past Steels. Sap Sipper takes grass like a lawnmower (giraffe), and Armor Tail blocks priority from the likes of Quick Attack Dodrio, Ice Shard Sneasler, and Aqua Jet Basculin, as well as Fake Out users, as well as letting you set up on Sableye on non-Tera Blast Fighting variants. Armor Tail sets can semi-successfully bluff Sap Sipper, though this may not work if you don't switch into your Farigiraf on a Seed Flare from Shaymin, for example.

pls dont miss (Shaymin) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Earth Power
- Healing Wish

Standard three attacks boots breaker Shaymin, helps to chip down Muk, force out Ground types in general, and is probably the best switchin to Basculin and Shaymin on the team. Natural Cure also enables you to sort of switch into any status shenanigans. Air Slash helps in the mirror, as well as with Grass types in general, and is the best way to chip down Oricorio into Basculin range if you're willing to sac Shaymin. Earth Power is for random Steels, Muk, and Magneton, and is self explanatory. Healing wish is to bring back Farigiraf if need be, so it can tear apart a team all over again.

turn bot (Perrserker) @ Leftovers
Ability: Tough Claws
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- U-turn

This is the mandatory Stealth Rocker on the team. As well, this provides the mildest amount of defensive utility on the team, being able to sort of switch into Choice Band Dodrio and any other random attackers. Stealth Rock is Stealth Rock, and helps to chip down Pokemon that think they can repeatedly switch into attacks from Shaymin or Sneasel. Iron Head is the STAB move of Perrserker, and sort of does a kind of good chunk to neutral targets. Close Combat is for Steels and Regigigas. U-Turn is probably the move you will most often click, as a slow U-Turn gives you completely free momentum. And if this should die, hey, that's also free momentum. An Assault Vest set forgoing Stealth Rock could work better, but hey, it's your team now, you can make the choices.

ITS FREE (Basculin) @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wave Crash
- Head Smash
- Aqua Jet
- Flip Turn

Self explanatory. Flip Turn on anything it KOs or seriously threatens is free conservation of momentum. Here's the flowchart for using this. If Flip Turn kills the opposing pokemon or seriously cripples a threat, and you are faster (watch out for scarfers like Magneton), click Flip Turn. If Wave Crash oneshots where Flip Turn doesn't, and you really need to KO the pokemon, and you can risk blanking on a quad-resist and halting your momentum, click Wave Crash. If the opposing pokemon is faster than you, and Aqua Jet kills, and you can risk really blanking on momntum, click Aqua Jet. If you are desperately trying to deal with a flying type like BU Braviary, click Head Smash. This is another good target to Healing Wish up so it can use its HP for more Wave Crash fun.

wish bot (Hattrem) @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Bounce
Tera Type: Psychic
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Healing Wish
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Mystical Fire

I needed a switchin to Fighting types, and this pokemon kind of worked for the role. She got the job based on the only one left after the rest got torn to pieces. She most certainly can switchin to Fighting types, and she can also blanket your momentum as well. Half the time I throw her at a reasonably strong attacker, click a few attacks, then Healing Wish to bring in something else while hopefully banking the Wish for something useful. She can sort of check Shaymin, and Trick Room is just there as a last ditch option rather than a strategy. She technically covers all the roles I wanted on the team, that being Fighting resistance, Hazard control, and support for Farigiraf, so good for her.

backup plan (Sneasel) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Inner Focus
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Triple Axel
- Ice Shard
- Swords Dance

This is the secondary breaker and backup plan. This thing oneshots Shaymin, puts on Pressure with Knock off, breaks pokemon for Farigiraf, and can sweep if the goat (giraffe) was caught lacking (fainting). Ice Shard provides a secondary "Oh Shit Oh Fuck Oh God" button when something is out of control and destroying everything in its way. I'm not sure which Sneasel is better, but I like this one better becuase H-Sneasel looks like a freak of nature and can't "reliably" oneshot Shaymin.

Threats list, becuase I forgot.

Muk: Non Tera Fighting Farigiraf can't oneshot this, and it can seriously annoy with high poison chance. As well, the switchins early game aren't great, with Perrserker folding to Drain Punch. The best course of action is probably to chunk this with Wave Crash or Flip Turn and accept the Knock or sac.

Oricorio: Don't let this setup. Basculin can switch in once without SR, and Aqua Jet OHKOS it. In case of emergency, try to get Trick Room up and revenge kill it.

Piloswine: Insanely bulky, lives non Tera Fighting variants, and does massive damage too. Chip this down, and try to get momentum off it with Basculin.

Braviary: Also really strong, and at a good speed tier to annoy this team. Farigiraf can vaguely handle it with some chip, and Hattrem can chip it down. Perrserker dies to Close Combat.

Avalugg and Golem: Both in here for the same reason, Sturdy. They can do massive damage back to Farigiraf as well, especially if Terad into an unfavorable type. Avalugg commonly runs HDB, so chipping it with rocks doesn't work that well. Also, watchout for Custap Berry.

Eelektross: As safe as it looks, don't setup on Eelektross. I just wanted to say that.

End

And that's the team, here's the pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/fbfc51b66e876fe0

I will post replays when I remember to gather them.

Shoutouts to fp rnc zu for being a cool person in general, and to all the people i played against for helping me test my team. (except for that one guy who haxed me to hell, you know who you are)

Last edited:
First off, solid team and nice breakdown!

As one of the people who got to see this in action on the ZU ladder and in Room Tours, I'm curious regarding two things;

1) You've used all the listed Tera's for Farigiraf during your games, but which fits the meta best in your opinion? I know Freezai made the Tera Fire set popular but I liked the utility of Fighting (outside of Sableye and Spiritomb) and Ground.

2) CB Basculin hits like a freight train but is slower than a lot of things and doesn't always get to Flip on stuff without taking a hefty chunk. Did you consider running an Adamant version with Choice Scarf to both outrun other offensive options (CB Dodrio, Scarf Magneton and Magmortar, HDB Sneasel and Sneasel-Hisui, etc.) and give you a bit of speed control in general?

Otherwise, solid team and thanks for the shoutout! Look forward to seeing you get to 1500 if you decide to grind more!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)