Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
ALSO I finally found out some details about how they Hack Check. When me and Siddarth were about to start we both got checked and passed duh, but we had a nice conversation with the checker dude about how they actually hack check, where they get the device, what EXACTLY the device checks for, AND HOW THAT DEVICE COULD POSSIBLY ACTUALLY HELP HARDCORE GAMERS IF IT WAS RELEASED BY GAMEFREAK!!!! Details later.
Huh. I got hack-checked by marriland, so I didn't have such a conversation. I did see that it's a DS Download Play program - it downloads to the DS with the cart in it, and checks it there. However, since the stations are wired directly to each other, there's no way you could pick up the program by trying to download the program with another DS at the same time.

I'm Steve W (I'd appreciate it if you could edit your post to remove my and perhaps everyone else's last name, I feel thats a bit too personal).
Agreed. I know we've gotten comfortable with using them since more and more Smogonites are now meeting IRL, but I'm not sure all of us like seeing them (particularly mingot with regards to his daughter). For the record, I'm fine with my name going around.

Btw in case you're wondering who I am, I'm not some random noob, I've been around the competitive scene since RBY just never bothered to post on these forums. After meeting everyone at Nationals though, I'm now a bit more motivated. Really some pretty cool people that go here.
I thought your name looked familiar. Cool to see more faces from the days of Azure Heights at these tournaments - that's Fish, TeeJay, Kikered, and you so far. This was me, back in the day.

wow that was some serious read. anyway good shit to all the smogers that made it! alakapimp, IPL, omga, and everyone else Im rooting for you guys and gals! beast this tournament!!!!
LoL, nobody loves me at all, huh? Every single "congrats" post named everybody but me, more or less. :P

Seems like my name only got called out because of the tie match at the end. Oh well, it's all good. See each of you there, I hope. No hard feelings!

Deleted User 33526

Banned deucer.
GL to all the top 16 today, please when one of you loses (it has to happen) don't come on and ban the victor because you're pissed.
I think OmegaDonut will battle IPL first round.

I did see that it's a DS Download Play program - it downloads to the DS with the cart in it, and checks it there.
Hey, the London one wasn't like that.

During my extensive hackcheck in the aftermath of losing to Illegal Blissey Guy, I saw that it was a pretty huge (about 5 inches long) rectangular DS cart which was stuck into one of the cartridge slots (can't remember which) and which opened up like a game would. As in it loaded up as a blank game on the DS menu (i.e. where it should say Pokémon Platinum w/e it's just blank with no picture), which then loaded into a black screen sorta like MS-DOS, with text in either red or green which rapidly scrolled up both screens. Was probably red text for something illegal and green for legit; didn't get to see what happened because I had to watch from about a foot away. The guy just said that the results came up saying he had a Blissey with an illegal moveset, and that my game cartridge was fake (lol) but he just brushed of that result as a side-effect of the other guy's hacking. I never heard anything about my cart being fake from the top 16 hackcheck so I guess it was fine. And I'm pretty sure it's a proper cartridge since I bought it off Play on release day.

Edit: Oh yeah and for the record what's with this top 16 stuff? Aren't there 16 places in San Diego for US winners? I was pretty sure there were. Beats the UK's 2 anyway. Or France's 1 and Spain's 0, lol.

To NeoSyrex: If you're wondering, I'm only counting those I noticed from this topic. If any of the others have a Smogon account, they aren't posting in this topic enough. Anyways, I got the names from FiveK...

Also, if you're wondering about the last names, anyone who looks about 5 or 6 pages back will find the Top 20 per flight (as posted by FiveK, I already said I got the names from him). If you think the last names are too personal, well, I'm just releasing info that the world will find out on Tuesday, when they update the U.S. VGC site. so your name will be known for the world soon enough. My last name is Mosquito by the way...

Rooting for ipl, although obviously I hope everybody else does well! Does anybody know the round one matchups or is does nobody know anything yet?

I thought the prize was a trip to Japan, Hawaii, or (some other place)?

Anyway ANY UPDATES ON RD1? D: IPL said he would be texting tad38 with updates.

I thought the prize was a trip to Japan, Hawaii, or (some other place)?

Anyway ANY UPDATES ON RD1? D: IPL said he would be texting tad38 with updates.
The trip is if you win Worlds. It's a trip to Japan, Hawaii, or New York (best city in the world, but there's no reason to go here if there's Japan).

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Just got word that it's batpig vs IPL in semifinals and slimceagirl is in semis also

Edit: Vash & alakapimp made it to round 2 at least.

apparently they did it best 2/3 instead of 1 match

So does this top 16 thing actually matter? Are they just playing for a Wii?
They're playing for:
1st Place
  • Travel for 2 (competitor and a guest) to play in the Pokémon Video Game World Championships in San Diego, California
  • U.S. Pokémon Video Game National Championships 1st Place trophy
  • A Pokémon prize package including a Nintendo Wii™ console, a Nintendo DSi™ game system, and other cool Pokémon items
2nd Place
  • Travel for 2 (competitor and a guest) to play in the Pokémon Video Game World Championships in San Diego, California
  • U.S. Pokémon Video Game National Championships 2nd Place trophy
  • A Pokémon prize package including a Nintendo DSi™ game system, and other cool Pokémon items
3rd-16th is just the trip.

Heh, nice.

Would be cool if OmegaDonut won this time, then they'll be even. But a DSi and a Wii is pretty good. Lol if either of them comes in the top 8 at the worlds, they'll be getting 2 DSis.

Wow. Very cool. I can't wait to hopefully get some videos of these matches. Make Smogon proud guys.

I don't know about you guys, but it feels good to just be associated with a site that can be regarded as one of, if not THE best resource for competitive Pokemon playing in the World. It just makes me feel good for all the hours I've put into this game. Not to mention the hours (much more than mine) that everyone in this tournament have put in. Great work every that qualified, or didn't for Regionals, Nationals, and now Internationals. You guys should be proud of all the work you've put in.

On another note, I'd be interested to see if any Japanese sites are watching our moves? Also to see if any group of the Japanese players going to Worlds are affiliated with one site, like all the Smogoners here.

EDIT: Whats the final tally of Finalists that we can say are from Smogon, or have at least been some what involved with Smogon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)