Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so let me get something straight:

I can get publicly bitched out and called a "fuckhead" but when I get solid proof to defend myself, I can't post it? Anybody care to explain?

EDIT: Anyway...

Michael Liesik said:
We don't normally do this, but I'm willing to make an exception in this case, because I've been following the thread that this email will help resolve.

Had Levi won the match, the standings for the top 6 players would have been:

1 Levi Young
2 Kamaal Harris (65%)
3 John Michael Freeman (64%)
4 Len Deuel (60%)
5 Paul Hornak (57%)
6 Justin Dowell (56%)

There would have been no change to who made the top cut. The only difference would have been what seed John and Len were going into the finals. Paul and Justin would have switched seeds, but would still have been outside of the cut.

Hope this helps,

Michael Liesik
The Pokemon Company International
333 108th Ave NE Suite 1900
Bellevue, WA 98004
www.go-pokemon.com/op

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If Mike has been following this thread, I sure hope he read some of the things I posted here which reflected how I felt about the whole random drawing thing and take that into deep consideration for next year's VGS.

So far as the shitfest involving VashTS/616's match and zerowing's elimination, along with Alakapimp's near DQ due to some extra EVs which did not matter anyways, all of that should be put to rest now, as focus should be on Worlds in San Diego now.

I know I originally had mentioned about the prospect of my attending in San Diego, but unfortunately that will not be happening.

Was Mike at London? I don't remember seeing him.

And yeah, we need to focus on San Diego. Maybe a list of Smogon representatives? I know of about 5 or 6 but that's it.

However, had Len been DQ'ed per the rules, Paul would have been #4. Determining a cheater is not a judgement call when using the hack check equipment; it's pretty obvious when it happens. This is black and white.

Anyone who has been posting here under the impression that TPCi does not read the thread is a fool. Any company, no matter what they do, will always read user feedback and opinion on the Internet.

Edit to Zog: I believe I saw some pictures on Serebii of Mike at London.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mike was definitely at London, I was there and saw him, he got a picture with PokeRob which I'm sure we can find somewhere..

Edit: Found it.

I actually thought it was nice of Mike to show up at London when there was an American event on the same day to be honest.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Last year when my son and I both went to the New York regionals, we both got interviewed for being recognized as father and son participants. I don't recall whether we ever did get mentioned in any articles. I can't seem to recall whether that was Mike or somebody else that did interview us at the time.

Last year when my son and I both went to the New York regionals, we both got interviewed for being recognized as father and son participants. I don't recall whether we ever did get mentioned in any articles. I can't seem to recall whether that was Mike or somebody else that did interview us at the time.
That's awesome! I wouldn't want to be interviewed, lol.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
Okay so let me get something straight:

I can get publicly bitched out and called a "fuckhead" but when I get solid proof to defend myself, I can't post it? Anybody care to explain?

EDIT: Anyway...
I don't think you understand the one thing people who were arguing against what you did and the result of it were saying. What would have happened doesn't matter. The intent of throwing away a match you had 100% already one and the fact that Nintendo doesn't follow their own rules is the problem. That's the same problem I have with the lack of Alakapimp's DQ. Obviously with the RNG hacking Pokemon is going to make no difference in matches, just like your match wouldn't have made a difference in the standings, but when there's proof that someone used an external device, that person must be DQ'd. If Nintendo doesn't want to enforce their no-hacking policy, then they should take it out of the rules. And if they don't want to enforce self-ko clause, they should also take it out of their rules since it can make a huge difference. With self-ko clause when you have the lead 2-1 in the game your Pokemon will rarely want to use protect(the consequences can be seen in TheMaskedNitpicker's really old warstory), but without it, the game will now revolve around explosion when you're about to lose. Also in the best 2 out of 3 matches, if you win the first game, you can sub in your 2 other Pokemon and have your team become an imprison/explosion team or a Helping Hand/explosion team if you're feeling gutsy and just make the last two matches end in a tie(or a win if your opponent can't handle that kind of team, which should be unlikely since there are a lot of Pokemon who do well vs that team).

tldr, if they don't plan on enforcing the rules they have written down, they need to take them out of the rules.

Lastly, everyone was completely done arguing over this, why did you bring it up again? Oh well, this will be my last post about these topics.

So on to the future.... when do you guys suppose they are going to announce next years tournament?? I have not a thing to do till then as i didnt get selected in philly this year.
Been interested in competively battling others for a long time and it sucks not to have that chance this year

Well start practicing/breeding to have several teams to have at your disposal and practice with other people. There are weekly live tournaments on IRC in which you could get practice on. Announcementes regarding the new TCG season always pop up on September when the seasons finish/start so I'd expect something then from the VG if it is to follow along the lines of the TCG.

EE - Mike Liesik wasn't part of the VG's until this eyar so I don't think he was the one to interview you. He's a great guy and if he can bring anything to the VG from the TCG, it's going to be great! I look forward to next year, school and swine flu won't stop me from participating this time.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
I believe they announced that there was no self-KO clause the night before. Obviously they should have said something a lot sooner if they were going to change the rules but it also means they were not breaking their rules when they didn't count it as a loss. I don't think the rules even listed what was supposed to happen in the case of a draw. I think they were supposed to play another battle but the head judge let them count their match as a draw.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I believe they announced that there was no self-KO clause the night before. Obviously they should have said something a lot sooner if they were going to change the rules but it also means they were not breaking their rules when they didn't count it as a loss. I don't think the rules even listed what was supposed to happen in the case of a draw. I think they were supposed to play another battle but the head judge let them count their match as a draw.
I seriously hope they don't pull that nonsense for Worlds :/

"Oh yeah, btw, we instituted a sleep clause, so you're DQd from worlds. Oh, you didn't get the memo distributed last night. Well, sorry, too bad. :/"

Well start practicing/breeding to have several teams to have at your disposal and practice with other people. There are weekly live tournaments on IRC in which you could get practice on. Announcementes regarding the new TCG season always pop up on September when the seasons finish/start so I'd expect something then from the VG if it is to follow along the lines of the TCG.

EE - Mike Liesik wasn't part of the VG's until this eyar so I don't think he was the one to interview you. He's a great guy and if he can bring anything to the VG from the TCG, it's going to be great! I look forward to next year, school and swine flu won't stop me from participating this time.
My guess you got interviewed by Either Brad (Publicity). he is an awesome guy, but he mainly works behind-the-scenes.

Woah!?

Mike is following THIS thread?!?!?!?
Yes, which is one of the other reasons I was upset about that post being deleted. Knowing that Mike is following the thread should give people a bit of "hope," so-to-speak, as well as quite a few other things.

@Expert Evan: Aww damn dude.. I guess dates got changed due to IRL?

@Havak: I agree. I suppose he wants to show he is fully supporting the fact that the VGCS is moving to more then just USA and Japan.

@TeeJay: Yes, I agree that TCPi should follow their rules through-and-through, but that is not our call at all. All we can do is msg Customer Support, sign petitions, and complain about it. Is it unfair that things happened the way they happened? Possibly, and most people will say "absolutely," but in the end, it's not our call.

@Bluecookies: One reason is, as said, to let people know that Mike is lurking the thread. Another would be because people are NOT over this, and people are STILL holding grudges and strong dislike, which is for absolutely no reason at all. People who I thought I was cool with, especially you being one of them, choose not to talk to me at all anymore. That shit hurts, man. I would say "Let's continue this on AIM" but you have been ignoring me for over a week now..

For the rest, you can see my reply to TeeJay.

@Spyda: I suppose they will announce the dates a month before the first event happens like they did this year in USA. Buuuut in all honestly, I hope they DO give us more time to prepare and such. Maybe 2 months? :)

@TRE: As far as I knew (at the time), the self-KO Clause was removed even before they started this in Japan, however I found out later that this was untrue. I'm not sure whether to say "Lucky me" or "Please enforce the rules across the board." So I will say both :D

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
@Bluecookies: One reason is, as said, to let people know that Mike is lurking the thread. Another would be because people are NOT over this, and people are STILL holding grudges and strong dislike, which is for absolutely no reason at all. People who I thought I was cool with, especially you being one of them, choose not to talk to me at all anymore. That shit hurts, man. I would say "Let's continue this on AIM" but you have been ignoring me for over a week now..
I guess the first point is valid, but those from last year(or just those who were smart enough to realize) knew that TPCi people lurked this thread. Actually, I think some people deserve to be holding grudges. And when you say people I know it's a synonym for "zerowing" so let me say he does deserve to hold a grudge and or strong dislike for alakapimp(not as much you since he "wouldn't have made it", but the intent of throwing away a match you had 100% won only hurt him and helped the other top 4 players is pretty frustrating), since if he was dq'd for hacking like the rules say, then zerowing would have gotten 4th. But, zerowing hasn't said anything publically, so why continue to post about these 2 things. As Lynyrd Skynyrd said in Sweet Home Alabama, "Now Watergate does not bother me, Does your conscience bother you?" zerowing hasn't posted so he's gotten over it, bad beats happen so you just move on. The one person who keeps starting this back up again is you, so maybe you should get over it and focus on worlds. Why do you care what others think about you? It's the internet. No one else has posted in this thread about these things either, and just continuing to post your opinion on the matter is not going to end dislike and/or grudges.

Hopefully after this post the "whiney rage" will stop, though I'm sure my interpretation of it is different than yours.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
The reason it was deleted is because everyone has moved on, I can spend hours upon hours complaining but it won't change anything. We should be celebrating OmegaDonut's victory and preparing for Worlds, not focusing on one bad thing that happened during the tournament, what's done is done, nothing will change it. Sixonesix kept the email private among us three, yet you had to go post it in this thread, why? There was no need to, yet you feel obligated to correct nothing and spark more debate by posting that.

But again, this proves my point that you guys should have battled to completion, Sixonesix was in no matter what, and had Alakapimp been DQed like he should have guess who is in the 4th spot. Nothing against Alakapimp, but he got incredibly lucky and anyone who says he shouldn't have been DQed is wrong. They go promote fair play by spouting "the use of external devices is prohibited" even during match play and plaster it on the website, yet when it is caught, no matter how trivial, they don't punish as they should have. This is not only hypocritical but unfair to the people that Alakapimp played.

I shouldn't be in the position tht my match was to be affected by another due to my luck versus you, but again, I've moved on, I'm not complaining, why don't you.

Actually, I was about to post the email as soon as I got it, but at the last minute decided to just PM the people involved and wait for feedback before doing anything else. If Vash was thinking anything like I was he was going to put it out there to provide real closure to this issue, to show that nobody actually was hurt by our tying in that last match. Since apparently there were a few others who had posted in this thread that were initially disappointed by the results like you were. I don't think either of us meant to bring the debate up again full force. Rather, we wanted to let the issue die once and for all.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
So for those going...

What are your plans for Worlds? And I'm not talking about winning :P

I'm just going to chill with my lil Bro and maybe explore downtown or something. I also want to make a point to swim in the Pacific rain or shine. I've swam in the Gulf and Atlantic, but never the Pacific, and I'm probably not going to make another trip out West aaaaaaanytime soon so, I'd better take this chance.

What about the rest of you?

Oh yeah, something which people may not know:

Shoe's told me he's been given 6 days for free in San Diego as opposed to 3. The Europeans must get more time because of the distance involved.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Oh yeah, something which people may not know:

Shoe's told me he's been given 6 days for free in San Diego as opposed to 3. The Europeans must get more time because of the distance involved.
Those outside the US get 6 because they have "theoretically" farther to travel (Anybody from Canada make it in to like Seattle or anything :P) Those within the US actually get 5 days 4 nights, unlike what I had originally thought. At least that's what I read on the TPCi site when filling out my stuffs :D

I guess the first point is valid, but those from last year(or just those who were smart enough to realize) knew that TPCi people lurked this thread. Actually, I think some people deserve to be holding grudges. And when you say people I know it's a synonym for "zerowing" so let me say he does deserve to hold a grudge and or strong dislike for alakapimp(not as much you since he "wouldn't have made it", but the intent of throwing away a match you had 100% won only hurt him and helped the other top 4 players is pretty frustrating), since if he was dq'd for hacking like the rules say, then zerowing would have gotten 4th. But, zerowing hasn't said anything publically, so why continue to post about these 2 things. As Lynyrd Skynyrd said in Sweet Home Alabama, "Now Watergate does not bother me, Does your conscience bother you?" zerowing hasn't posted so he's gotten over it, bad beats happen so you just move on. The one person who keeps starting this back up again is you, so maybe you should get over it and focus on worlds. Why do you care what others think about you? It's the internet. No one else has posted in this thread about these things either, and just continuing to post your opinion on the matter is not going to end dislike and/or grudges.

Hopefully after this post the "whiney rage" will stop, though I'm sure my interpretation of it is different than yours.
I hate to drag these out any farther then needed, but I would just like to point out that zerowing should not hold any grudge against Alakapimp. Yes, he used AR to EV his pokemon and yes there was a mistake, but he was not the person that got to make the decision as to whether or not he would be disqualified. If anything, he should be upset with those specific on-spot judges which decided that.

@zerowing: I could be completely wrong here, but I will take a stab at addressing your comment. It sounds like Vash has been receiving continued slurs, insults, and mal-behaviour since the incident. While people on here have tried calculating it themselves, with the same results, it doesn't really sound official which still leaves that doorway open for continued abuse. However, by posting what would have happened by an official rep gives what everyone else has been saying some credit and value.
As for your assertion that AR and other devices should be completely banned due to its unfair nature, you need to realize that the overwhelming majority of competitors who visit online sites are most likely using pokemon that have in some way been touched by an external device. I know for a fact that at least half of the competitors here have competed with pokemon touched by an external device; whether it be a pokemon traded for to be used as a grand parent / parent or just to EV train them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)