Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Just over 200 seniors showed up, I met with quite a few Smogoners, PBB, omni and omni's friend Justin didn't make it in, IPL and OmegaDonut made it in, but I'll let them warstory themselves and not spoil how they did. I ended up on the screens like 3 times, and PBB was kind enough to record those for me. I'm gonna warstory tomorrow when I get home from Phoenix.

Just over 200 seniors showed up, I met with quite a few Smogoners, PBB, omni and omni's friend Justin didn't make it in, IPL and OmegaDonut made it in, but I'll let them warstory themselves and not spoil how they did. I ended up on the screens like 3 times, and PBB was kind enough to record those for me. I'm gonna warstory tomorrow when I get home from Phoenix.
Could you at least tell us what place they got?

Bad luck for PBB, I was hoping he'd make it in this time.

Well, I was fucking pissed...didn't get selected go figure...sigh...no offense, but I'm really hating the fact even though I had to be among the first 50 there and registered, and then waiting 2 hours just to find out I didn't get picked sucks ass...not to mention the fucking out of state people clogging up entry...

I digress though, those are my feelings about it. It is nice to see a smogoner win it all if anything!.

I was the 4th person there and didnt get picked and drove from San Diego just for this.

Imagine how bummed I am...

They really ought to make the tournaments bigger next year, or have more tournaments.

And congrats to all the Smogonites for putting up a great show in Phoenix! Let's hope we take Dallas too!

Haha my cousin got to round 3 with no VGC experience by just using team but lost to a trick room team because he had no clue what trick room did -_-. He did beat a goodstuff and a rain dance team though so I'm proud of him
Wait I heard of omi teams but what the hell is a goodstuff team? ;___;
Can someone please fill me in on this D;

So yeah, as said by zerowing, I didn't get selected for a second time. Looks like I am done for this season of competitive pokemon unless someone takes me as their guest to St. Louis and I somehow get in via the lottery there. ;/ The chances of that though are lower than Shedinja's HP in a Hail storm.

I was able to record like 3 or 4 of zerowing's matches, so I'll have a few up by tomorrow. They are quite fun to watch. I also hope the dancing pokemon video makes it's way onto youtube; it was epic to say the least.

also, there are some exciting warstories that will come out of today I bet, so all of you have something to look forward to.

PBB, despite not being selected, you've been a great sport. I'm glad you were able to enjoy your experiences and help contribute to lurkers like myself. I look forward to the videos.

Thanks, yeah, I just enjoy these events, whether it's spectating or participating. Obviously I like actually parcitipating a lot more than watching, but watching has it's perks. Plus what's great about these events is that it's one of the few times during the year where I can talk pokemon in person with somebody and they know what I am saying when they need a counter to Metagross or they need 100 EVs to outspeed Latios with a Timid nature. You know what I am talking about I think since if I remember right you participated in JAA a few years back. It's all part of the experience.

I checked how many videos I had and I have three of zerowing battling, so I'll format them and the upload them tomorrow. I'll definitely post the links here. All three of them are great matches.

So yeah, as said by zerowing, I didn't get selected for a second time.
Man, that really is disappointing. I know what you mean about the whole experience thing, there seem to be a lot of pretty sick people from smogon that go to these events. I just don't know if I could justify spending ~$600 on a round trip to St. Louis, plus hotel fees, especially if I've got no one to really look forward to meeting there specifically. I know you went with your irl friends, plus you knew other smogoners from last year's event that you could look forward to meeting up with. Not getting picked would really ruin the whole trip for me imo. Would've been sick to chill with you/FiveKRunner/ a few others I've chatted with, but now it almost looks like I've got no reason to attend St. Louis other than for the tourney. There's always next year, I guess.

By the way, did you ever see Shinryu? Apparently he was there, but I'm guessing he didn't bother coming up to you or anyone else he obviously would have recognized.

Also, congrats zerowing for doing so well in the tournament two years in a row. Perhaps in the next few years USA will build up some credibility for its top players so that they're recognized by non smogoners and even overseas players (kind of how we know all about the Japanese tournament finalists). "Oh, hey, I recognize that guy, he won LA two years in a row and got top 8 in the nationals." Regardless, these touranments should really help strengthen the whole Pokemon-on-the-internet scene.

If it's not guaranteed playing time, I wouldn't advise spending that much money to go. It's just too much money for an unsure thing. As it was, the gas money and food money I spent on this trip was just about the limit I would spend of my own money to go to a pokemon tournament(I might have spent a bit more if I wasn't lucky enough to stay with my college roommate who is from Phoenix). I couldn't imagine spending ~$600 for one. You would be able to chill with a lot of cool people, that's for sure, but it's a lot of money regardless.

No, Shinryu never approached me even though I posted I was going to be wearing a Red Sox hat. Either he didn't see me in the somewhat big crowd there(though the smogon crowd sat outside the entrance where it wasn't crowded at all and talked until they showed the lottery numbers), or he was off brooding in a corner about all the "fucking out of state people clogging up entry..." haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)